• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 289 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can't see Kaep starting for any NFL team, as his decision making and accuracy are both poor. Perhaps he could convert to WR, like Terrell Pryor? As to teams not wanting him because he's a distraction, I don't buy that for the same reasons Michael Sam wasn't a distraction to the team. The teams know who he is coming in. You can control that, prepare for it. This isn't the same as a Johnny Manziel distraction either, where you don't know what can happen on any given day. Kaep definitely won't go to Buffalo though. Not just because it's an industrial, working class city, but because they have Cardale Jones they want to develop.

As to Rivers, he's aging, but has been durable much of his career. Would Elway sign him at $15m or so per year, and let Lynch sit for two years? That seems unlikely, but you never know.

The 49ers are a mess, so whomever takes that job better get along with the incoming GM, and demand patience from the Yorks, as the team is at rock bottom, with no QB, and no big QB in the draft right now to draft. Not much of a roster elsewhere either. Maybe they'll get the first pick in the 2018 draft as well and find a QB there?

Gabbert is the QB that seems in no mans land, but he, more than Kaep, looks like a solid backup in this league.

Chip has said several times he doesn't want to go back to college, but I agree he should. His schemes are simply much better suited for the college game, and he'd forever have a HC job, most likely with a high profile school.

Jordy Nelson participated in light practice for the Packers. Even if he suits up and plays, how effective will he be on Sunday? Can anyone picture him running a crossing pattern into traffic with broken ribs?

One year ago I thought Seattle could pick up Kaep as a backup only if they got desperate for a backup. But that won't happen now since rookie backup QB Boyton has done well enough and shows better decision making than Kaep. Management seems pleased with Boyton and won't disrupt that.

I think the Browns or Chicago are two teams that might give Kaep a shot. In Cleveland he'd have more of a chance to compete for #1 QB, then as a backup only in Chicago. Other than that I can't think of other teams that would give him a shot at even a backup role. Except maybe The Chargers as backup.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I can't see Kaep starting for any NFL team, as his decision making and accuracy are both poor. Perhaps he could convert to WR, like Terrell Pryor? As to teams not wanting him because he's a distraction, I don't buy that for the same reasons Michael Sam wasn't a distraction to the team. The teams know who he is coming in. You can control that, prepare for it. This isn't the same as a Johnny Manziel distraction either, where you don't know what can happen on any given day. Kaep definitely won't go to Buffalo though. Not just because it's an industrial, working class city, but because they have Cardale Jones they want to develop.

As to Rivers, he's aging, but has been durable much of his career. Would Elway sign him at $15m or so per year, and let Lynch sit for two years? That seems unlikely, but you never know.

The 49ers are a mess, so whomever takes that job better get along with the incoming GM, and demand patience from the Yorks, as the team is at rock bottom, with no QB, and no big QB in the draft right now to draft. Not much of a roster elsewhere either. Maybe they'll get the first pick in the 2018 draft as well and find a QB there?

Gabbert is the QB that seems in no mans land, but he, more than Kaep, looks like a solid backup in this league.

Chip has said several times he doesn't want to go back to college, but I agree he should. His schemes are simply much better suited for the college game, and he'd forever have a HC job, most likely with a high profile school.

Jordy Nelson participated in light practice for the Packers. Even if he suits up and plays, how effective will he be on Sunday? Can anyone picture him running a crossing pattern into traffic with broken ribs?

Manziel might be in Vegas whooping it up waiting for the Raiders to arrive ! Unfortunately there is every chance he will turn up at a Rams practice session in LA by mistake ! It would be crazy to play Nelson. There is till some talk of Cousins and the 49ers, it seems that some people at Washington are not completely sold on Cousins, they could do a lot worse that's for sure. If Shanahan takes the 49ers job then the Cousins talk will probably only increase. The Rams and the Jets are other teams that could also use a QB and their number one QBs at the moment are anything but convincing. The Ostweiler experiment will probably continue at the Texans ..........for the moment. Denver and the Cardinals will also be looking as Palmer now is 38 and Denver don't have a solid starting QB. Would not be surprised to see Romo possibly land one of those jobs.

Re: Re:

sienna said:
movingtarget said:
Nice game Packers and Cowboys. Rodgers got them through. They were lucky it did not go to extra time. Cowboys made a good comeback. The last throw by Rodgers probably would not have been made by anyone else.
Good game but nerve-wracking as hell to watch. Rodgers was in trouble a few times but came good when it counted. Whoo Hoo!

I wasn't in a state to comment right after the match (it doesn't help that it was in the middle of the night here). A wonderful game with a few twists. I'd almost given up on the Cowboys after the Prescott pick, but I held on to the end (still the wrong result though :( ). However, if you told me how the season was to go in September, I would have bitten off your hand for such a run.

It was a strange call for unsportsmanlike conduct on Butler in the 1st quarter (unsportsmanlike conduct for having 12 men in the huddle

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/01/19/nfl-admits-mistake-on-huddle-penalty-on-brice-butler/

I'm not making excuses, Dallas got away with pass interference on several occasions.

I'm going for a Patriots vs Packers final (the NFC game should be a high scoring close shootout which could go either way though).

I can't see Romo going to Arizona. He's almost as old as Palmer, and more beaten up.

Curious if NFL owners approve the Raiders moving to Vegas, to play in a stadium controlled mostly by Sheldon Aldeson. Also curious what people in the rest of the state, who would be helping foot the bill for a facility they'd never use, and possibly never visit, have to say about it.

I think the Packer-Falcon game may come down to who has the ball last. I agree with whomever said the Falcons can't get too far behind though.

I have a feeling the Patriot DBs are good enough to contain Antonio Brown. If they can do that, the D can focus more on stopping Bell. While the Steeler D has played well, I have a hunch Brady/Belicheck/McDaniels are going to exploit their DBs, who are young, which will define the game. Remember, Houston had a better D than Pittsburgh, Brady had an off game, and the Pats still put 34 points up on them.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I can't see Romo going to Arizona. He's almost as old as Palmer, and more beaten up.

Curious if NFL owners approve the Raiders moving to Vegas, to play in a stadium controlled mostly by Sheldon Aldeson. Also curious what people in the rest of the state, who would be helping foot the bill for a facility they'd never use, and possibly never visit, have to say about it.

I think the Packer-Falcon game may come down to who has the ball last. I agree with whomever said the Falcons can't get too far behind though.

I have a feeling the Patriot DBs are good enough to contain Antonio Brown. If they can do that, the D can focus more on stopping Bell. While the Steeler D has played well, I have a hunch Brady/Belicheck/McDaniels are going to exploit their DBs, who are young, which will define the game. Remember, Houston had a better D than Pittsburgh, Brady had an off game, and the Pats still put 34 points up on them.

Romo is a few years younger than Palmer but he is a risk. I am sticking with the Falcons against the Packers even though the Seattle game probably came at the right time for them and even as good as Rodgers is playing. The other game is a hard one. The Patriots did not impress me too much last week but Pittsburgh have been up and down as well. I think I will say the Patriots.

The Las Vegas experiment if it goes ahead will be interesting to watch. I think Vegas already has another sports franchise based there don't they ? No one seems to think that the Chargers move is a good one and no one seems to think that LA will support two NFL teams whether they are winning or losing. Maybe the Chargers will eventually move again to St Louis ! Maybe the Raiders could move to Santa Clara and the 49ers could move back to San Fran eventually.

Tank Engine said:
sienna said:
movingtarget said:
Nice game Packers and Cowboys. Rodgers got them through. They were lucky it did not go to extra time. Cowboys made a good comeback. The last throw by Rodgers probably would not have been made by anyone else.
Good game but nerve-wracking as hell to watch. Rodgers was in trouble a few times but came good when it counted. Whoo Hoo!

I wasn't in a state to comment right after the match (it doesn't help that it was in the middle of the night here). A wonderful game with a few twists. I'd almost given up on the Cowboys after the Prescott pick, but I held on to the end (still the wrong result though :( ). However, if you told me how the season was to go in September, I would have bitten off your hand for such a run.

It was a strange call for unsportsmanlike conduct on Butler in the 1st quarter (unsportsmanlike conduct for having 12 men in the huddle

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/01/19/nfl-admits-mistake-on-huddle-penalty-on-brice-butler/

I'm not making excuses, Dallas got away with pass interference on several occasions.

I'm going for a Patriots vs Packers final (the NFC game should be a high scoring close shootout which could go either way though).

Yes what looked like being a blow out at half time turned into an entertaining game. I picked the Cowboys but I knew the Packers would be a big threat.

More stupidity by Browns, who are about to make MLB Jamie Collins a higher paid MLB than Luke Kuechly (who has about $7.3M base, $5M prorated for total 12.3M CAP hit in 2017 in overthecap.com). Due to Luke's injury, the then arguable best MLB in 2016 was Seattle's Bobby Wagner (league leading tackler at 167), who gets $4M base and 7.6M CAP hit in 2017. Collins stats are middle of the pack, so he will be overpaid for value. This is why Browns will continue to suck.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Pete Carroll should have kept his mouth full of gum !

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/19/14328858/seahawks-docked-draft-pick-richard-sherman-injury

It also explains Sherman's recent performances.
Pete did not need to say anything, so I don't understand why he did. The only possible explanation why he spoke of Sherman's injury is he did not think it was a big deal. The facts are that Sherman practiced all week and was able to play, so this could be why Pete thought it was no big deal to mention it. Players play in pain and with minor injury all the time. But because of the facts this revelation should not result in disciplinary action. But its no stretch to see why the report in the ninersnation would think differently.

on3m@n@rmy said:
More stupidity by Browns, who are about to make MLB Jamie Collins a higher paid MLB than Luke Kuechly...
I understand the rising costs, and Collins has talent, but I have to agree with you. This new Browns management was supposed to be "sabermetric" based, akin to Billy Beane of the Oakland A's. Put another way, you don't overpay players, and use numbers to find harmony among players per position on the field. I see nothing in this signing that tells me the Browns followed that logic here. The only thing that would make sense is if Collins has shown to be a total leader in the locker room, but part of the reason Belicheck got rid of him was reportedly the opposite of that.

http://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/browns/mcmullen-browns-send-message-jamie-collins-extension/

If the Packer's lose tomorrow, it's because Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison may all be too hurt, or not even play. I said I didn't like Atlanta's chances if they fell too far behind, but the same goes for the Packers. And with these guys hurt, there's only so much Aaron Rodgers can do, especially if they are in a hole.

I still see no way the Patriots lose to the Steelers. The game may be close, and some points by both teams, but I'll still with the Patriots by at least a TD.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Pete Carroll should have kept his mouth full of gum !

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/19/14328858/seahawks-docked-draft-pick-richard-sherman-injury

It also explains Sherman's recent performances.
Pete did not need to say anything, so I don't understand why he did. The only possible explanation why he spoke of Sherman's injury is he did not think it was a big deal. The facts are that Sherman practiced all week and was able to play, so this could be why Pete thought it was no big deal to mention it. Players play in pain and with minor injury all the time. But because of the facts this revelation should not result in disciplinary action. But its no stretch to see why the report in the ninersnation would think differently.

An MCL injury probably stood out but like you said many players play with injuries. Look at the Packers this week. Sherman did seem to be struggling a bit in the Falcons game though. Could be a media beat up who knows ? i wonder if Sherman himself has made a comment ?

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Manziel might be in Vegas whooping it up waiting for the Raiders to arrive ! Unfortunately there is every chance he will turn up at a Rams practice session in LA by mistake ! It would be crazy to play Nelson. There is till some talk of Cousins and the 49ers, it seems that some people at Washington are not completely sold on Cousins, they could do a lot worse that's for sure. If Shanahan takes the 49ers job then the Cousins talk will probably only increase. The Rams and the Jets are other teams that could also use a QB and their numJber one QBs at the moment are anything but convincing. The Ostweiler experiment will probably continue at the Texans ..........for the moment. Denver and the Cardinals will also be looking as Palmer now is 38 and Denver don't have a solid starting QB. Would not be surprised to see Romo possibly land one of those jobs.
I can't see Romo going anywhere. His destiny may be the permanent backup at Dallas or retirement. He's been injury prone the past 3 yrs and had a potentially serious back injury last year. I can't imagine a team taking a chance on an aging quarterback who's injury prone with potential back problems. Look at Manning's last year at Denver; he missed half the season with a chronic injury, subpar performances in the playoffs & SB, and you never knew when got sacked or shoved down if he would get back up. I think Romo's in the same boat...my goodness he couldn't even get through the preseason last year. The NFL is brutal on QBs. Some info on Romo's injury history:

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4753377/a-look-at-tony-romos-injury-history

Some interesting scoop on Johnny M: He and Ray Rice have been invited to play in the new spring developmental league that features 4 teams starting play this April. This would be good chance for Manziel to get his act together and improve his skills in a developmental type atmosphere. So, if anybody is bored with early spring baseball, there's now some spring pro football...ya boy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/johnny-manziel-and-ray-rice-invited-to-play-in-brand-new-spring-football-league/

And I like the Pats in a close one over the Steelers. Brady is 5-1 in home AFC championship games...amazing. I think the game could get ugly with some cheap shots being taken by each team. Brady & Big Ben need to stay alert, and if they take off from the pocket they need to run out of bounds or slide quickly to avoid the head hunters.

I believe the "Pack is Back," but I don't have a pick on this one. I would think Atlanta would have an edge playing at home, but many thought the same with Dallas hosting GB. One thing is for certain; it'll be the last game played at the historic Georgia Dome...so it would be a nice way for the Falcons to say goodbye with a win.

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Manziel might be in Vegas whooping it up waiting for the Raiders to arrive ! Unfortunately there is every chance he will turn up at a Rams practice session in LA by mistake ! It would be crazy to play Nelson. There is till some talk of Cousins and the 49ers, it seems that some people at Washington are not completely sold on Cousins, they could do a lot worse that's for sure. If Shanahan takes the 49ers job then the Cousins talk will probably only increase. The Rams and the Jets are other teams that could also use a QB and their numJber one QBs at the moment are anything but convincing. The Ostweiler experiment will probably continue at the Texans ..........for the moment. Denver and the Cardinals will also be looking as Palmer now is 38 and Denver don't have a solid starting QB. Would not be surprised to see Romo possibly land one of those jobs.
I can't see Romo going anywhere. His destiny may be the permanent backup at Dallas or retirement. He's been injury prone the past 3 yrs and had a potentially serious back injury last year. I can't imagine a team taking a chance on an aging quarterback who's injury prone with potential back problems. Look at Manning's last year at Denver; he missed half the season with a chronic injury, subpar performances in the playoffs & SB, and you never knew when got sacked or shoved down if he would get back up. I think Romo's in the same boat...my goodness he couldn't even get through the preseason last year. The NFL is brutal on QBs. Some info on Romo's injury history:

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4753377/a-look-at-tony-romos-injury-history

Some interesting scoop on Johnny M: He and Ray Rice have been invited to play in the new spring developmental league that features 4 teams starting play this April. This would be good chance for Manziel to get his act together and improve his skills in a developmental type atmosphere. So, if anybody is bored with early spring baseball, there's now some spring pro football...ya boy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/johnny-manziel-and-ray-rice-invited-to-play-in-brand-new-spring-football-league/

And I like the Pats in a close one over the Steelers. Brady is 5-1 in home AFC championship games...amazing. I think the game could get ugly with some cheap shots being taken by each team. Brady & Big Ben need to stay alert, and if they take off from the pocket they need to run out of bounds or slide quickly to avoid the head hunters.

I believe the "Pack is Back," but I don't have a pick on this one. I would think Atlanta would have an edge playing at home, but many thought the same with Dallas hosting GB. One thing is for certain; it'll be the last game played at the historic Georgia Dome...so it would be a nice way for the Falcons to say goodbye with a win.

Yes it's true that Romo might think it's too late to start at another team with a new scheme. Age plus the injuries, retirement would not surprise. I am sure the Cowboys would want him to stay to mentor some of the young guys but he might get tired of sitting on the sidelines unless they want to trade him for younger blood. And if he gets injured even as a back up that's not good for the Cowboys. Would like to see Manziel get back to the NFL but it seems it won't happen soon. I also think the Patriots will probably get the job done against the Steelers even though they lack the individual brilliance of some of the Steelers offense. I am picking the Falcons to win and Ryan is due for a big post season game. But I think both games will be tight unless the Green Bay injuries take their toll during the game. Also it has become known that the Steelers squad have had a flu outbreak which won't help them but a similar thing happened to the Ravens before their first Super Bowl win and they overcame it.

Just for clarity, it's the stomach flu (which is not actually a type of influenza virus, as in the flu that 15 players have, it's actually viral gastroenteritis, and you can usually recover within 48 hours. The Steelers were stricken with it two days ago, and are likely going to be okay, unless someone caught it late from someone else and are still sick, as it's pretty contagious. If someone is at their peak with this illness game time, they likely cannot play, or not with any effectiveness.

Influenza is much worse, as you can be wiped out for over a week.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20568435,00.html

Yes the fumble killed the Packers and they never recovered after going down by 17 early in the game. Even with the dropped balls by the Falcons, the Packers managed to drop even more ! A banged up Packers team could not cope with a Falcons with too many weapons. Rodgers struggled to get the offense going with all of the mistakes. Green Bay should have run the ball more in the first half with their passing game struggling. The first two TDs for them came on the back of some good runs but too little too late. I would like to see the Falcons go all the way.

TRENDING THREADS