• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 293 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
My last post here too. Looks like all of us here are thinking it will be a close game, like a three point spread. Earlier I tipped the Falcons for the win but on one condition, that the Falcons can disrupt Brady. Falcons have defensive speed. But proper scheme beats speed almost any day. And who is an offensive schemer extraordinaire? Belichick. So it will be interesting to see what kind of witches brew Bill will come up with. But it will be a good one. So, that is why I think it is important for Atlanta's pass rush to get at Brady and disrupt New England's offense.

Srzu9Ga.jpg

Yes they did that well against Rodgers which was one of the reasons or the main reason he was showing frustration in the first half of the Green Bay game. I don't see this as a low scoring affair and even though the Patriots have a very good defense based on what I saw them do against other teams i still have doubts that they will be able to contain the Falcons offense. Edelman will be very important for the Patriots especially if the Falcons lead in the first half.

I'm more of a casual fan, but can someone explain to me why most sites i go on only give the Patriots a slight edge. Basically if Brady had played all season they are a 15-1 team, the Falcons were 11-5. I can't remember ever when the 2 finalists had this much disparity between their regular season records and one of them wasn't the clear favourite.

Re:

Singer01 said:
I'm more of a casual fan, but can someone explain to me why most sites i go on only give the Patriots a slight edge. Basically if Brady had played all season they are a 15-1 team, the Falcons were 11-5. I can't remember ever when the 2 finalists had this much disparity between their regular season records and one of them wasn't the clear favourite.

Cuz a lot of people hate the Patriots.

Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
Singer01 said:

Cuz a lot of people hate the Patriots.

That's partially right but most commentators seem to think the teams are evenly matched with the Patriots having an edge because of Brady and their coach. You have a team that is solid across the field like the Patriots with a gun QB and the then you have the Falcons with a youthful team and an explosive offense. Records don't mean everything when the teams reach the playoffs otherwise the Cowboys would be at the Super Bowl instead of the Falcons. I still think that if Ryan plays well the Falcons will win.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Archibald said:
I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but what if you removed all the body armour... let's face it, body on body collisions without the fibreglass/metal/carbon fibre/whatever has to result in less damage, as well as players changing the way they tackle - you know, instead of slamming into the other guy while thinking that you're both protected in so much armour.
Someone mentioned rugby league earlier - it still has injuries, but not to the same extent as NFL, and they still tackle hard... Could be too big a change though for players to adapt or change mentality in how they play?
As you can see already, you have not been slammed yet and don't think you will. :) All of the replies to this are good posts. But sounds like you are a little sensitive there? Maybe having been stung by replies to your posts in other threads? I know the feeling.
Naah, not so much 'sensitive', as knowing that when it comes to NFL I know I'm well out of my depth with you guys.
I may have followed it since the 80's - not an easy thing to do from down under when the only thing available for years was a small Don Lane highlights show (that didn't last long) and a super bowl special each year..
Last time I was over in the US with some American mates, I did monday night football at a hooters and found out very quickly how out-of-my-depth I was!
(I did far better with the staff though... having "a cool accent" n all...)

"Watching" SB now - nfl.com gamecenter thingy with the graphics and it's HT: 21-3 Falcons...

Who predicted the 40-3 blowout? They might be in for some money

Atlanta is by far the better team. I for one hope that they are winning like this partially because they are cheating like he11. I hope they're cheating in every phase of the game, and that we find out after all of the coaches and players are no longer with the team that they were cheating.

Atlanta came to play today. NFC South takes the ring, which is close enough to a Panthers win to make me happy today...tomorrow I won't care.

Thank you Tom... the @230 bucks won't change my life but I will enjoy collecting it over the next couple of days!!! thanks to the awesome folks at Transpeninsular, only way to know if your beer was the difference is to do it again next year!!
Dean Spanos, you _uck!!!

Nomad said:
What happen to Altanta after halftime? Did the players watch Lady GaGa and have a few beers or something. Lol. I guess Brady is the best ever to play QB, and he's coming back next season with most of that offense intact...frightening.

The defense noticeably picked up in the second half for the Patriots and the Falcons were not moving the ball downfield as well plus a few mistakes and some dumb penalties and that was all the Patriots needed to get a foot in the door. Falcons still should have hung on if not for some strange play calls. Ah well such is sport. Brady got hammered in the first half but it turned around in the second and the defense started to get tired.

movingtarget said:
leftover pie said:
What an amazing game.. patriots showed nerves of steel to come back from that scoreline, they deserve all the praise they get.

Feel for the Falcons.. but they blew it, this will haunt them forever.

The really went off the rails in the second half, the game was there for them.
Here's a stat that will surely blow us all away: ESPN reported that when the Falcons went up 28-3 in the 3rd quarter, they had a *99.5%* probability of winning! Fox also reported that teams ahead by 19 or more points at any point in the 3rd quarter of a postseason game are *93-0* (93-1 now. Lol).

This was, without a doubt, a Miracle comeback! :)

Re:

King Boonen said:
I watched until half time then went to sleep...
Funny, I fell asleep during the first quarter and woke up in the third. Recorded the whole game, which I'm not sure I'll even watch given the result.

leftover pie said:
Feel for the Falcons.. but they blew it, this will haunt them forever.
That's what I'm thinking... much like March Madness where a team loses the final by something like one point the players never get over it.

Ah well, the Falcons are young, if they're for real there's always next season.

TRENDING THREADS