• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Brees already signed. 2-years, $50m, with $27m guaranteed. Contract is on the "player friendly" side of things.

• Full No Trade Clause
• 2018 Roster Bonus (treated as signing): $13.5M
• 2018 Roster Bonus: $3.3M (due 3/16/2018)
• 2020 automatically voids at the end of 2019 league year
• Cannot be franchise tagged in 2020

Another perk is if he just makes the roster in 2019, that's another $11m in the bank. The only thing preventing this would have to be a career ending injury. Put another way, it's quite possible he'll walk away with the entire $50m when it's all said and done.

Nice one for Brees.
+1
SB winning QB, SB MVP, 11XPB, proven winner, proven leader, future HOF - not this crap we're seeing with Cousins, Garoppolo, Keenum et al.

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Brees already signed. 2-years, $50m, with $27m guaranteed. Contract is on the "player friendly" side of things.

• Full No Trade Clause

Another perk is if he just makes the roster in 2019, that's another $11m in the bank. The only thing preventing this would have to be a career ending injury. Put another way, it's quite possible he'll walk away with the entire $50m when it's all said and done.

Nice one for Brees.
+1
SB winning QB, SB MVP, 11XPB, proven winner, proven leader, future HOF - not this crap we're seeing with Cousins, Garoppolo, Keenum et al.

I think Cousins is as overhyped as Jimmy Garoppolo. If Blaine Gabbert gets a starting spot for good money it's time to pack it in ! As for Bridgewater I think he is a huge risk like Andrew Luck. Not a financial risk but there were others that were a better option unless they are already predicting a less than decent season. His injury was so bad that he even refuses to discuss it with reporters ! It's too traumatic ! But the Jets in a Browns like move have been happy to sign on........the Jets seem to be racing their way to the bottom.

movingtarget said:
Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

• Full No Trade Clause

Nice one for Brees.
+1

I think Cousins is as overhyped as Jimmy Gareeeoppolo. If Blaine Gabbert gets a starting spot for good money it's time to pack it in ! As for Bridgewater I think he is a huge risk like Andrew Luck. Not a financial risk but there were others that were a better option unless they are already predicting a less than decent season. His injury was so bad that he even refuses to discuss it with reporters ! It's too traumatic ! But the Jets in a Browns like move have been happy to sign on........the Jets seem to be racing their way to the bottom.
Agree those 2 are overhyped & TB's ACL injury makes him a big risk, especially if he does not have the head to overcome. I think the Jets, with a good draft, can get going in the right direction. But yeah, if they mess this up...

Manziel to NE? I know you guys have seem that on the www. today. After I laughed and dismissed it, I started thinking that if he is going to return, this is the team to do it with, but I just don't know why NE would do it. He was a really good athlete, but is he going to step in for Tom (no)? Is he their man going forward (no)? I guess he could be a good scout team QB for preparing for scramblers.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd be really surprised to see Manzeil play in the NFL again.

Sam Darnold threw very well at his pro day, in the rain even.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22860909/usc-trojans-qb-sam-darnold-shines-rainy-pro-day

But so did Josh Allen.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922923/article/2018-nfl-draft-five-takeaways-from-josh-allens-pro-day

Pro Day is only one slice of the pizza though.
I'd be surprised too, but he has done a good job of keeping his name alive.

I remember Ian Johnson jokingly complaining that its easy for a QB to look good at a pro day.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Manziel to NE? I know you guys have seem that on the www. today. After I laughed and dismissed it, I started thinking that if he is going to return, this is the team to do it with, but I just don't know why NE would do it. He was a really good athlete, but is he going to step in for Tom (no)? Is he their man going forward (no)? I guess he could be a good scout team QB for preparing for scramblers.

Can't see it happening not for that franchise. Hoyer looks much more predictable and has much less possibility for disruptions. Still Manziel probably has a better chance than Kaep of securing some sort of contract where Kaep probably has zero at this point. Only a really desperate team would take a risk with Manziel and if their season was going that badly, the possibility of a higher draft position versus what could happen with Manziel seems to be a stark choice !

- Jets rescinded their offer to Suh a few days ago, so the Rams land him (1-Year, $14M Contract) today. Donald and Suh on the same DL should create a ton of trouble for offensive lines. Teams will have to try to run outside on the Rams defense if they run at all. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-1-year-14m-contract-after-dolphins-release

- Michael Bennett taken into custody on assault charge. It is only a charge at this point. But that trade looks better for Seattle than it did a week ago. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...stody-on-assault-charge-expected-to-post-bond

- Just a reminder, the NFL and football in general have a longggggg way to go when it comes to concussion prevention. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...all-hall-of-fame/ar-BBKJia4?OCID=ansmsnnews11. How many other unreported cases are out there?

EDIT: as MT explained, I can't see NE taking a chance on Manziel. And IMO, or any other team as a starter for that matter. Maybe as a backup's backup to first prove self.

on3m@n@rmy said:
- Jets rescinded their offer to Suh a few days ago, so the Rams land him (1-Year, $14M Contract) today. Donald and Suh on the same DL should create a ton of trouble for offensive lines. Teams will have to try to run outside on the Rams defense if they run at all. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-1-year-14m-contract-after-dolphins-release

- Michael Bennett taken into custody on assault charge. It is only a charge at this point. But that trade looks better for Seattle than it did a week ago. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...stody-on-assault-charge-expected-to-post-bond

- Just a reminder, the NFL and football in general have a longggggg way to go when it comes to concussion prevention. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...all-hall-of-fame/ar-BBKJia4?OCID=ansmsnnews11. How many other unreported cases are out there?

EDIT: as MT explained, I can't see NE taking a chance on Manziel. And IMO, or any other team as a starter for that matter. Maybe as a backup's backup to first prove self.
The Rams will be tough up the middle!

Well, more energy had to go into helmet-to-helmet collisions and yesterday the NFL decided to Institute a 15-yard penalty for lowering the head to initiate contact. This was coming and some may not like it, but I think it will be a positive thing. The exact wording of the rule will be worked out during the remainder of the offseason, so at this point it's hard to say if it's going to be a great rule, a good, or crappy rule, but at least the NFL is trying. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...-to-helmet-penalty/1tkxgno8gk1md1xkevhksca5aj
Apparently the rule will be enforced on all players so it will be interesting to see how this affects line play, not just ball carriers and tacklers.

EDIT: the article title states the rule change "could change football as we know it". That sounds like a critical statement. But you know what, it is going to have to change. It has to.

Re:

jmdirt said:
I still agree with others that his road back will be tough, but it sounds like he looked good at pro day. I've been critical of him since his college days, but if his behavior was truly a result of not diagnosed/treated issues, I'm willing to give him a chance to prove that.

I know that he wants to be an NFL starter, but I don't see him being a starter in August. I won't speculate anymore about where he might end up until after the draft. Hamilton has his CFL rights, and playing well and being a good citizen for a few years up there would be a way to prove that his issues have been taken care of. The problem for him is that he is already 25 (maybe almost 26?) so the time is now.

jmdirt said:
Yes a mess. But I'll give ya my short answer. I'll give the assisted living part of the project is admirable, but who wants to go to Canton Ohio for a "Disney-esque" vacation??? Project mind benders must have been on mushrooms. Here's the whole project description:
Disney-esque, multiple-day destination with a four-star hotel, a state-of-the-art stadium, a water park, a youth sports complex, a retail promenade, a convention space, a 143-bed assisted living facility for retired Hall of Famers and a small hospital.
:confused:

Good Lord, it's Canton. A town an hour or so south of Cleveland known for one thing, the Hall of Fame, that's it.

As to Manziel. All he really did is throw at the A&M Pro Day in the new slot where former pro's are allowed to present to teams. You may recall JaMarcus Russell did this two years ago. Yes, the Patriots were there, and asked about him, so were a few more teams. That doesn't mean anyone will sign him anymore than they did Russell. However, Manziel does have one thing working for him, he's only 25. He says if the NFL won't take him, he'll head to the CFL. That may not be a bad idea. If he can throw well for a season there, and stay completely out of trouble (big if) he could come back to the NFL and make it as a backup.

In other news, Jim Kelly had another surgery, this time a 12 hour procedure to remove cancerous tissue and reconstruct his upper jaw. It was apparently successful and he'll recover, but it will take some time. Living in the Northeast you hear about Kelly from time to time more than elsewhere. I wish I had a link to this story, but he talked about when he got out of college (Miami) he didn't want to play anywhere cold, or snowy. He grew up in Pittsburgh but hated the snow. He told his agent to tell everyone, every team, he'll play anywhere that isn't cold. He wasn't playing in Cleveland, or Green Bay, and despite being from Pittsburgh, didn't want to really play there either, but the last place he'd want to end up is Buffalo. When they drafted him anyway, he said he all but cried. Needless to say, he went to the USFL instead. Well, when the USFL folded he ended up in Buffalo anyway and was a bit vocal about it. But for anyone who's never been to upstate New York, it's not NYC, not even close. The people are much more friendly, and the fans in Buffalo welcomed Kelly with open arms anyway. His eyes opened a little, and he ended up liking it, then loving it there, and stayed there his entire career. When his career was over, he decided to retire to...Florida? No, guess again. Upstate New York, where I'm pretty sure he still lives to this day.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923779/article/jim-kelly-has-successful-surgery-to-remove-oral-cancer

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Good Lord, it's Canton. A town an hour or so south of Cleveland known for one thing, the Hall of Fame, that's it.

As to Manziel. All he really did is throw at the A&M Pro Day in the new slot where former pro's are allowed to present to teams. You may recall JaMarcus Russell did this two years ago. Yes, the Patriots were there, and asked about him, so were a few more teams. That doesn't mean anyone will sign him anymore than they did Russell. However, Manziel does have one thing working for him, he's only 25. He says if the NFL won't take him, he'll head to the CFL. That may not be a bad idea. If he can throw well for a season there, and stay completely out of trouble (big if) he could come back to the NFL and make it as a backup.

In other news, Jim Kelly had another surgery, this time a 12 hour procedure to remove cancerous tissue and reconstruct his upper jaw. It was apparently successful and he'll recover, but it will take some time. Living in the Northeast you hear about Kelly from time to time more than elsewhere. I wish I had a link to this story, but he talked about when he got out of college (Miami) he didn't want to play anywhere cold, or snowy. He grew up in Pittsburgh but hated the snow. He told his agent to tell everyone, every team, he'll play anywhere that isn't cold. He wasn't playing in Cleveland, or Green Bay, and despite being from Pittsburgh, didn't want to really play there either, but the last place he'd want to end up is Buffalo. When they drafted him anyway, he said he all but cried. Needless to say, he went to the USFL instead. Well, when the USFL folded he ended up in Buffalo anyway and was a bit vocal about it. But for anyone who's never been to upstate New York, it's not NYC, not even close. The people are much more friendly, and the fans in Buffalo welcomed Kelly with open arms anyway. His eyes opened a little, and he ended up liking it, then loving it there, and stayed there his entire career. When his career was over, he decided to retire to...Florida? No, guess again. Upstate New York, where I'm pretty sure he still lives to this day.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923779/article/jim-kelly-has-successful-surgery-to-remove-oral-cancer
I hope that this surgery gives him some good life after the recovery!

RE: New York people: I have in-laws an hour North of Manhattan (Waccabuc) and their little hamlet is as friendly as any small town in America (even though they are all rich, or maybe because of it). For that matter, I've always found Manhattan OK too, but having local intel. helps with that. I've never made it up to Buf though.

jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

RE: New York people: I have in-laws an hour North of Manhattan (Waccabuc) and their little hamlet is as friendly as any small town in America (even though they are all rich, or maybe because of it). For that matter, I've always found Manhattan OK too, but having local intel. helps with that. I've never made it up to Buf though.
Thanks for the update/details on Jim Kelly, Alpe. Like JMdirt says, hoping for a quick, long-lasting recovery here.

Funny story about Jim not wanting to play in snow country.

Here is a new acronym for JMdirt... JNF. "Johnny Not-Football" is all white noise to me at this point. No offense, but that's just me. If he is able to land something other than CFL, then I'll pay attention.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Thanks for the update/details on Jim Kelly, Alpe. Like JMdirt says, hoping for a quick, long-lasting recovery here.

Funny story about Jim not wanting to play in snow country.

Here is a new acronym for JMdirt... JNF. "Johnny Not-Football" is all white noise to me at this point. No offense, but that's just me. If he is able to land something other than CFL, then I'll pay attention.
I just feel bad for him if he truly has mental issues that went untreated. There is a lot of white noise in pro sports, especially in the in between season.

on3m@n@rmy said:
That explains a lot, especially being diagnosed just a year ago. Sounds like he's on the right track. Good for him.

Then you get a fool like Stephen A. Smith saying that Manziel is a product of white privilege and should not be cut some slack because he has a mental disorder but also doubting that he does have a mental disorder even though Manziel himself said it was only recently diagnosed. I guess he was trying to say that the whole thing is bunkum and that Manziel is just using it as a way to attract sympathy and find his way back into the NFL.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
That explains a lot, especially being diagnosed just a year ago. Sounds like he's on the right track. Good for him.

Then you get a fool like Stephen A. Smith saying that Manziel is a product of white privilege and should not be cut some slack because he has a mental disorder but also doubting that he does have a mental disorder even though Manziel himself said it was only recently diagnosed. I guess he was trying to say that the whole thing is bunkum and that Manziel is just using it as a way to attract sympathy and find his way back into the NFL.
IMO, SAS is a terrible sports journalist (and not even a good person). I really have no idea how he got to where he is. Only time will tell for Manziel.

Yeah, I'm certainly no fan of SAS. As for how he got to where he is, have you ever noticed how TV personalities are sometimes cast into a role that fits their real-life personality? SAS is basically paid by E*** (yes, that's a dirty word lol) to rant. Just sayin.

Contrast that style to Colin Cowherd on "The Herd", who researches current sporting events, formulates and aires his opinions, then hosts experienced experts in the sport to get their thoughts on his opinions or conclusions. As often as not, his guests disagree or have an entirely different opinion, to which Cowherd will discuss but not argue. No rants, just discussion, allowing viewers to form their own opinions. Cowherd often admits where he was wrong. Even though he's got an ego he's able to bury it.

TRENDING THREADS