• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 351 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
That explains a lot, especially being diagnosed just a year ago. Sounds like he's on the right track. Good for him.

Then you get a fool like Stephen A. Smith saying that Manziel is a product of white privilege and should not be cut some slack because he has a mental disorder but also doubting that he does have a mental disorder even though Manziel himself said it was only recently diagnosed. I guess he was trying to say that the whole thing is bunkum and that Manziel is just using it as a way to attract sympathy and find his way back into the NFL.
IMO, SAS is a terrible sports journalist (and not even a good person). I really have no idea how he got to where he is. Only time will tell for Manziel.

Not only is SAS a master of the flip flop with his opinions he is basically there to rant about every subject while others take a low key approach. Some call it entertainment. He was totally against Kaep and kept commenting on his poor play costing him a job but when the tide turned and people started talking blacklist, SAS jumped on board in a hurry !

movingtarget said:
Then you get a fool like Stephen A. Smith...I guess he was trying to say that the whole thing is bunkum and that Manziel is just using it as a way to attract sympathy and find his way back into the NFL.
Wow, I didn't realize that Smith had a PhD in psychology and access to Manzeil's medical/mental health records. :rolleyes: :mad:

Not a huge fan of Cowherd, who has uttered some dumb opinions of his own, but I will agree he's a lot better at research than a clown like Smith.

They don't call ESPN the four-letter network for nothing. Their world HQ is in my state, and outside of the Disney perks, a lot of people don't have great things to say about them. I personally think they took jockocracy (thanks Howard!) way beyond anything any use it ever had, and relied way too much on broadcasting and home brewed network shows with shock jocks as their foundation. Now, for people under about 30 who could care less about this kind of sports media, it's coming back to bite them in the rear.

About the only things I'll credit ESPN with are employing the Fainaru brothers, who were already very talented long before they got to ESPN, having won Pulitzers with Lance Williams writing for the Washington Post, SF Chronicle and others. Also, some of the 30 for 30 (and E60) episodes have been very well done, but they are almost always independently produced, and bought/distributed by ESPN. In fact, I can't think of a single one I know of that's inception came from Bristol. Many appear in film festivals before ESPN picks them up.

Alpe d'Huez said:
movingtarget said:
Then you get a fool like Stephen A. Smith...I guess he was trying to say that the whole thing is bunkum and that Manziel is just using it as a way to attract sympathy and find his way back into the NFL.
Wow, I didn't realize that Smith had a PhD in psychology and access to Manzeil's medical/mental health records. :rolleyes: :mad:

Not a huge fan of Cowherd, who has uttered some dumb opinions of his own, but I will agree he's a lot better at research than a clown like Smith.

They don't call ESPN the four-letter network for nothing. Their world HQ is in my state, and outside of the Disney perks, a lot of people don't have great things to say about them. I personally think they took jockocracy (thanks Howard!) way beyond anything any use it ever had, and relied way too much on broadcasting and home brewed network shows with shock jocks as their foundation. Now, for people under about 30 who could care less about this kind of sports media, it's coming back to bite them in the rear.

About the only things I'll credit ESPN with are employing the Fainaru brothers, who were already very talented long before they got to ESPN, having won Pulitzers with Lance Williams writing for the Washington Post, SF Chronicle and others. Also, some of the 30 for 30 (and E60) episodes have been very well done, but they are almost always independently produced, and bought/distributed by ESPN. In fact, I can't think of a single one I know of that's inception came from Bristol. Many appear in film festivals before ESPN picks them up.

I think Smith played some basketball in school and listening to him re basketball though annoying, he isn't too bad but on football and other sports he is awful. Max Kellerman knows his boxing and is quite good on that. It's really the guests that make such panel shows worth watching but Smith also bizarrely has his pet hates like Jay Cutler, the Cowboys and Tony Romo, he likes to hold grudges, celebrates losses by people he doesn't like and seems to enjoy putting the boot into people when they are down. Oddly he and Max got the Super Bowl result right. Usually as tipsters they aren't good. i had to laugh when Kevin Durant's mom got stuck into him after his comments about her son in a face to face. When he realized she wasn't joking he backed down in a hurry. He voiced his doubts about Shanahan and McVay as head coaches and John Lynch as GM and look how that turned out ! He basically said that experienced black men should have got those jobs ahead of the young whiteys..........

I saw that too. He just turned 28, and in theory he should be completely healthy now. He always had a strong arm and ability to make fairly accurate passes deep. It's just a question if he can train himself to not take any punishment. So far, he hasn't been able to.

NFL Draft in three weeks.

Most pundits are saying the Browns will take Darnold 1st, except CBS is reporting when Josh Rosen interviewed with the Browns he squashed the talk saying he wouldn't play in Cleveland, telling John Dorsey right to his face to ignore all that, and that he'd be happy to be on the team.

"He's really smart, he's engaging, he does want to be in Cleveland...After our conversations, he has no problems being in Cleveland. Again, it's one of those conversations where that story can take a life of its own."

This is interesting because the consensus is that out of all the QB's in this draft, Rosen is the guy likely most capable of starting in his rookie year, maybe from week 1. Darnold or Allen may ultimately be better, but both need more work. ...probably.

I'm also curious with the presumption that Barkley will now fall to 4, will the Browns take him too? Or trade away the pick if they get a big offer for more picks down the line?

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I saw that too. He just turned 28, and in theory he should be completely healthy now. He always had a strong arm and ability to make fairly accurate passes deep. It's just a question if he can train himself to not take any punishment. So far, he hasn't been able to.

Most pundits are saying the Browns will take Darnold 1st, except CBS is reporting when Josh Rosen interviewed with the Browns he squashed the talk saying he wouldn't play in Cleveland, telling John Dorsey right to his face to ignore all that, and that he'd be happy to be on the team.

"He's really smart, he's engaging, he does want to be in Cleveland...After our conversations, he has no problems being in Cleveland. Again, it's one of those conversations where that story can take a life of its own."

This is interesting because the consensus is that out of all the QB's in this draft, Rosen is the guy likely most capable of starting in his rookie year, maybe from week 1. Darnold or Allen may ultimately be better, but both need more work. ...probably.

I'm also curious with the presumption that Barkley will now fall to 4, will the Browns take him too? Or trade away the pick if they get a big offer for more picks down the line?

Browns should take the RB and see what Tyrod Taylor can bring. They won'r be turning things around in one season. I know they have to hit gold eventually with a QB.

In two mind about RGIII. Good to see him find a spot but can he stay healthy ? Ravens obviously thinking more about his talent and maybe someone can stop him running the ball as much as he used to.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Browns should take the RB and see what Tyrod Taylor can bring. They won'r be turning things around in one season. I know they have to hit gold eventually with a QB.

In two mind about RGIII. Good to see him find a spot but can he stay healthy ? Ravens obviously thinking more about his talent and maybe someone can stop him running the ball as much as he used to.
Agree w/jmdirt the RGIII injuries & his MENTALLY being unable to handle it was his undoing. Including his inability to learn how to run smartly, like Russ Wilson.

As Alpe said, now being fully recovered we might see a different RGIII now, IF a healthy body helps him overcome his mental block.

Re the draft, yeah, the top 10 selections are going to be interesting. If Rosen says no probs going to Cleveland then he may just end up there since scout reports label him the most pro-ready. The only little negative on pro-readiness might be whether or not his body is durable enough to take the pounding. Hence for Cleveland, they might prefer Darnold or even Allen.

I've heard NFL pundits say there are currently only about 7 NFL QBs who are "all-planet", the rest are just serviceable or expendable. Tyrod Taylor is in that second group. Also, this draft has the most QB prospects who could be "all-planet" capable. The 2019 draft is a weak QB crop. So I disagree if you meant Cleveland should take a RB #1 overall. IMO they should go for a QB #1 overall. I would agree if you, Mtarget, meant Cleveland should take a RB (Barkley) at #4 overall. But Cleveland has, or may have, some options including trading down. So we'll see. Plus, this is the Browns we are talking about, and they are going to have to prove themselves capable drafters before things like that ("this is the Browns...) stop being said haha.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Agree w/jmdirt the RGIII injuries & his MENTALLY being unable to handle it was his undoing. Including his inability to learn how to run smartly, like Russ Wilson.

As Alpe said, now being fully recovered we might see a different RGIII now, IF a healthy body helps him overcome his mental block.

Re the draft, yeah, the top 10 selections are going to be interesting. If Rosen says no probs going to Cleveland then he may just end up there since scout reports label him the most pro-ready. The only little negative on pro-readiness might be whether or not his body is durable enough to take the pounding. Hence for Cleveland, they might prefer Darnold or even Allen.

I've heard NFL pundits say there are currently only about 7 NFL QBs who are "all-planet", the rest are just serviceable or expendable. Tyrod Taylor is in that second group. Also, this draft has the most QB prospects who could be "all-planet" capable. The 2019 draft is a weak QB crop. So I disagree if you meant Cleveland should take a RB #1 overall. IMO they should go for a QB #1 overall. I would agree if you, Mtarget, meant Cleveland should take a RB (Barkley) at #4 overall. But Cleveland has, or may have, some options including trading down. So we'll see. Plus, this is the Browns we are talking about, and they are going to have to prove themselves capable drafters before things like that ("this is the Browns...) stop being said haha.

Yeah the position the Browns are in, they have to go QB first pick but the smart move would be to try and get the RB as well. Of course you always need some luck in the draft as well. Tyrod Taylor to most people's eyes is not an elite QB as you say, some would even question whether he is a franchise QB. But plenty of people also have doubts about the Browns decision making for obvious reasons. I think there has to be some improvement in the upcoming season or there will be another management/coaching shake up.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23043558/sam-darnold-switches-flight-throw-ronald-jones-ii

"When you talk about what kind of guy he is, who does that when you have everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing that?" Martin said. "He had a teammate call him out of the blue. It wasn't something that was planned.

"He gets a call yesterday, and he drops everything else. [Darnold said], 'Yes, I'll be there for you, man,' and gets on an airplane, lands in L.A. this morning, comes over at like 6:30 in the morning and throws for Ronald Jones. I mean, it's crazy. And everyone's like, 'What, Sam?' No one expected him to be here, and he's here because he said, 'Hey, man. My teammate called. He needed me.' So he came. That's unbelievable."

Wow! That is something. One of the reasons I said Sam may have the most long-term upside of all the QB's in this draft.

As to Cleveland, keep in mind they could have Tayor (Rosen or Darnold) really impress in the pre-season, draft Barkley as well, they now have two excellent receivers, and Myles Garret should be completely ready to go at a top level, and the team still would have several holes to fill. They need an LT, they need help on the defensive line, especially at DT, someone who can stop the run. They need LB help, and they badly need secondary help. Plus they're not very deep anywhere. The Browns have had a pretty good FA, and have a lot of picks in the draft, but they are still going to lose a lot of games this year. As I said before, 6-10 might be a "successful" season for them. They are so thin at DB, I'd not be surprised if they took Minkah Fitzpatrick at #4 instead of Barkley, or trade down to get badly needed help there, and at OT, but this isn't a thick OL class.

Agree with on3@my that there are maybe a handful of top tier NFL QB's, and the rest are not, and Taylor is in that not. I'd say Brady, Rodgers, Brees (small gap) Ryan, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Wilson (another small gap), Rivers, Newton, maybe Wentz, Goff, Carr (still too young to really say). I'd say those 12 guys jobs are really secure. Everyone else you can move around, which shows why Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins and Tyrod Taylor played very well last year, and just switched teams anyway. Garoppolo and Watson may ultimately end up in tier #1 as well. Prescott, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, can all play well, but aren't in that top tier, and may never get there. Same with Bortles and Keenum, really.

There's a pretty good chance in a couple years we'll see Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen starting for teams. Lamar Jackson too.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow! That is something. One of the reasons I said Sam may have the most long-term upside of all the QB's in this draft.

As to Cleveland, keep in mind they could have Tayor (Rosen or Darnold) really impress in the pre-season, draft Barkley as well, they now have two excellent receivers, and Myles Garret should be completely ready to go at a top level, and the team still would have several holes to fill. They need an LT, they need help on the defensive line, especially at DT, someone who can stop the run. They need LB help, and they badly need secondary help. Plus they're not very deep anywhere. The Browns have had a pretty good FA, and have a lot of picks in the draft, but they are still going to lose a lot of games this year. As I said before, 6-10 might be a "successful" season for them. They are so thin at DB, I'd not be surprised if they took Minkah Fitzpatrick at #4 instead of Barkley, or trade down to get badly needed help there, and at OT, but this isn't a thick OL class.

Agree with on3@my that there are maybe a handful of top tier NFL QB's, and the rest are not, and Taylor is in that not. I'd say Brady, Rodgers, Brees (small gap) Ryan, Roethlisberger, Stafford, Wilson (another small gap), Rivers, Newton, maybe Wentz, Goff, Carr (still too young to really say). I'd say those 12 guys jobs are really secure. Everyone else you can move around, which shows why Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins and Tyrod Taylor played very well last year, and just switched teams anyway. Garoppolo and Watson may ultimately end up in tier #1 as well. Prescott, Winston, Mariota, Dalton, can all play well, but aren't in that top tier, and may never get there. Same with Bortles and Keenum, really.

There's a pretty good chance in a couple years we'll see Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen starting for teams. Lamar Jackson too.
RE: CLE: like we discussed a while back, they weren't too far off in '17, but you hit the key problem: their lack of depth.

jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

RE: CLE: like we discussed a while back, they weren't too far off in '17, but you hit the key problem: their lack of depth.
Because this is a deep RB class, it would actually be smart if they passed on Barkley to fill other needs by picking up extra high round picks, which I agree with all their needs as Alpe pointed out. However, they are in dire need of a featured RB. So, I would not fault them if they took Barkley anyway. As for their defense, they were not too bad last year (#14 overall defense), but the passing game was worse as you mentioned. This is also Gregg Williams defense, who is more of a 4-3 guy than 3-4, so if they address DT I'd guess they'd go for the 3-technique, maybe the 1-technique, or someone who can do both well. To help their secondary DBs, corners especially, they could use an edge rusher, or someone who can do both edge and 3-technique, like a Michael Bennett type. An extra WR would not hurt, and actually would be higher priority than an edge rusher, but like the weaker OL class, this is also a weaker WR class. Or how about if they draft Vita Vea (DT) #4 overall (slight reach that early), or trade down passing on Barkley to take Vea in the top 10 or 12, then get a good RB later?

The potentially unfortunate aspect to any QB they draft is what happens if they only go 3-13? Does management fire HC Hue Jackson, disrupting development of whoever they draft? If the Browns can win 6 to 9 games that would be really successful, and the HC should be safe. But Rams' Goff does not seem to be suffering too much now as result of his partly wasted year under HC Jeff Fisher.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Because this is a deep RB class, it would actually be smart if they passed on Barkley to fill other needs by picking up extra high round picks, which I agree with all their needs as Alpe pointed out. However, they are in dire need of a featured RB. So, I would not fault them if they took Barkley anyway. As for their defense, they were not too bad last year (#14 overall defense), but the passing game was worse as you mentioned. This is also Gregg Williams defense, who is more of a 4-3 guy than 3-4, so if they address DT I'd guess they'd go for the 3-technique, maybe the 1-technique, or someone who can do both well. To help their secondary DBs, corners especially, they could use an edge rusher, or someone who can do both edge and 3-technique, like a Michael Bennett type. An extra WR would not hurt, and actually would be higher priority than an edge rusher, but like the weaker OL class, this is also a weaker WR class. Or how about if they draft Vita Vea (DT) #4 overall (slight reach that early), or trade down passing on Barkley to take Vea in the top 10 or 12, then get a good RB later?

The potentially unfortunate aspect to any QB they draft is what happens if they only go 3-13? Does management fire HC Hue Jackson, disrupting development of whoever they draft? If the Browns can win 6 to 9 games that would be really successful, and the HC should be safe. But Rams' Goff does not seem to be suffering too much now as result of his partly wasted year under HC Jeff Fisher.

I think if Jackson wins four games or more he will probably be safe. They had quite a few close games last year not that coaches want to hear about what they nearly did !

on3m@n@rmy said:
Because this is a deep RB class, it would actually be smart if they passed on Barkley to fill other needs by picking up extra high round picks...they could use an edge rusher, or someone who can do both edge and 3-technique, like a Michael Bennett type. An extra WR would not hurt, and actually would be higher priority than an edge rusher, but like the weaker OL class, this is also a weaker WR class...
Barkley is probably the best RB prospect in some time. He completely impressed at the combine, has one of the most positive attitudes, and a combination of moves and toughness that's not seen. There's a real chance he'll be better than Eliot, Gurley, Fournette, because he has moves to make people miss that are almost Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers like. Yes, I realize that's an absurd, kiss of death, comparison.

Myles Garrett in theory is the DE pass rusher they need. He was hurt off and on last year, and slow to really develop out of his youth (he was only 21), but the injuries were nothing major, and the guy is a physical freak. With other DL help to free him up from doubles and being keyed on, he could really be something astounding.

In theory with Landry, Gordon (if he can stay clean) and Coleman can play up, they have the WR group they need. Also keep in mind David Njoku was a rookie who underplayed, but may have potential. Boy, what an endless word to use on so many Browns players, even teams of the past. Potential. One could only imagine if Bill Belicheck were their coach.

Yes, 5-11 would be enough for Hugh to keep his job I'd think. Depends on how the players react too, both to him as a person, and how hard they play under him.

Alpe d'Huez said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Because this is a deep RB class, it would actually be smart if they passed on Barkley to fill other needs by picking up extra high round picks...they could use an edge rusher, or someone who can do both edge and 3-technique, like a Michael Bennett type. An extra WR would not hurt, and actually would be higher priority than an edge rusher, but like the weaker OL class, this is also a weaker WR class...
Barkley is probably the best RB prospect in some time. He completely impressed at the combine, has one of the most positive attitudes, and a combination of moves and toughness that's not seen. There's a real chance he'll be better than Eliot, Gurley, Fournette, because he has moves to make people miss that are almost Barry Sanders or Gale Sayers like. Yes, I realize that's an absurd, kiss of death, comparison.

Myles Garrett in theory is the DE pass rusher they need. He was hurt off and on last year, and slow to really develop out of his youth (he was only 21), but the injuries were nothing major, and the guy is a physical freak. With other DL help to free him up from doubles and being keyed on, he could really be something astounding.

In theory with Landry, Gordon (if he can stay clean) and Coleman can play up, they have the WR group they need. Also keep in mind David Njoku was a rookie who underplayed, but may have potential. Boy, what an endless word to use on so many Browns players, even teams of the past. Potential. One could only imagine if Bill Belicheck were their coach.

Yes, 5-11 would be enough for Hugh to keep his job I'd think. Depends on how the players react too, both to him as a person, and how hard they play under him.

I think Barkley in combination with Carlos Hyde would be a handful for most teams. No doubt the coach has and will have players with plenty of potential but he has to start getting wins. He will only be given a bit longer to show some improvement with results. I think it's worth the Browns giving up a lot to get the QB and RB in this draft. And if they have to sit a young QB they still have Taylor.

Re:

jmdirt said:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23041561/josh-rosen-answers-nfl-critics-ucla-quarterback-tom-brady-ncaa-2018-draft
As Rosen said there, "just ask my teammates". And interested NFL teams will do just that. If I was drafting and had a choice of Rosen, Darnold, or even Allen I might take one of the others before Rosen. But there is nothing that would prevent me from drafting Rosen. Even Aaron Rogers has been a bit prickly at times to teammates, and in hindsight I'd still draft Rogers.

Will NE draft a QB? If so, will they trade up to do so? Or just settle for someone to fall to them, like Lamar Jackson? But who knows, maybe they have some projected 6th round prospect in mind.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23041561/josh-rosen-answers-nfl-critics-ucla-quarterback-tom-brady-ncaa-2018-draft
As Rosen said there, "just ask my teammates". And interested NFL teams will do just that. If I was drafting and had a choice of Rosen, Darnold, or even Allen I might take one of the others before Rosen. But there is nothing that would prevent me from drafting Rosen. Even Aaron Rogers has been a bit prickly at times to teammates, and in hindsight I'd still draft Rogers.

Will NE draft a QB? If so, will they trade up to do so? Or just settle for someone to fall to them, like Lamar Jackson? But who knows, maybe they have some projected 6th round prospect in mind.
Jackson to NE is an interesting thought...

jmdirt said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:

Jackson to NE is an interesting thought...
Just posted on NFLdotcom today. I guess somebody else thinks so also.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dy-on-louisville-qb-lamar-jackson-hes-a-beast
DajQ6xwVAAA9Gv_.jpg

The Watson comparison is good. We never know how any player, let alone QBs, will pan out, but Jackson could be the one we are talking about in October. I thought that Watson would be solid, but he ended up being WAY better than I thought, Jackson could do the same... The more I thought about it yesterday, the more I like the idea of him going to NE (which means that we probably won't see him play much). Just for fun, what if CLE takes him number one?!

Haha, well if Cleveland takes Lamar #1 overall then the old talk of Cleveland screwing up another draft will start all over again. If the Pats trade up to take any QB though my guess is they are not thinking of trading into the top 5 or 10 draft positions.

Here's one. Maurice Jones-Drew thinks Cleveland should take Saquon Barkley #1. Trust in Tyrod Taylor I guess.

Dez is out in Big D! While I think that they should have cut him loose several years ago, I'm surprised that they finally did it!

Kaep: If I was the $people I wouldn't sign him because of the distraction. Plus, he hasn't played in a while, has he been working out? Throwing at all? He's not worth the potential downsides anymore. Maybe he should have played spring league with Johnny to show us if he's still got it.

As I typed the above, I tightened my shoulders because I don't want to go down the road of 'shut your mouth and just play' because I do feel like athletes can speak for others who don't have the platform to do so. CK's is not an effective front man for his own cause anymore though IMO. The story is about him now.

TRENDING THREADS