• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 379 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thought the Rams had the game won quite a way out even the final margin wasn't big. As others predicted, they had too many offensive options, and their number two RB was the best player on the field. Rams defense also looked very good. Wonder if the Cowboys will be prompted to make a coaching change ? Next year he will have to improve I would say even though Jerry is supposed to be supportive of him.

Patriots currently putting SD to the sword but the real challenge for them was always going to be the final two games............

Chargers are a joke. Wouldn't even have won in LA.

This was their chance at a run. They absolutely blew it. Hope they bomb next year so that another team in the AFC can have an easy division for once, and not just every year the Pats getting a free division while every other division has 2-3 contenders.

I was 1 for 4 this weekend...good thing I didn't bet any money!

I'll take LA and KC next weekend.

LAC was really bad today. I'm still processing the afternoon game. NOLA O, especially DB to MT was fantastic, but PHI hung around even though there was just something off?

Re:

jmdirt said:
I was 1 for 4 this weekend...good thing I didn't bet any money!

I'll take LA and KC next weekend.

LAC was really bad today. I'm still processing the afternoon game. NOLA O, especially DB to MT was fantastic, but PHI hung around even though there was just something off?
Well, I don't bet and I don't do the lottery. But I'm taking the opposites of you next week.

LAR @ NO: Home team. Plus you have a vet head coach (Peyton), vet QB (Brees) hosting a less experienced head coach (McVey, tho they do have DC Phillips) and less experienced QB (Goff - yep, got the name correct this time). Also, I think the Saints defense is playing better than the Rams.

NE @ KC: A tough call and KC at home will be tough especially having lost the week 6 matchup between these two in a close shootout that could have KC wanting revenge, but I'm betting the KC defense will not be able to stop the Pats offense. Next week's game could again be a shootout though. These two met head to head in week 6, with the NE winning at home 43-40, but none of that matters now. I do think NE is going to have to change up a few things from their first meeting in October to beat KC this time, which Belichick is a master of. In week 6 when they met, Mahomes threw for 352 yards and 4 TDs, but also threw 2 INTs. Brady on the other hand, threw for nearly as many yards (340), but only one TD and no INTs. Based on that, I think Belichick has a little more room to tweak things than does KC. Then if the game is a coin toss, I'll take Brady over the less experienced Mahomes.

As for today's games, I'm just glad it is the Pats at KC and NOT the Chargers at KC after the crappy game the Chargers put up today vs the Pats. That, even though the Chargers beat KC 29-28 in week 15. I don't think the Chargers would have stood a chance against KC this time. Hats off to the Eagles and Saints for playing their hearts out today in a close game that nearly came down to the wire, and might have had the Eagles WR caught the ball that the Saints intercepted to basically end the game.

A mod should be able to fix that.

Historically when you get deep into the playoffs, veteran coaches, and veteran QBs are more likely to win. Granted, the Eagles bucked that last season, but look back at history and you'll find it's true. I'm also, at least right now, going with both the Saints and Patriots next weekend. I will give the Chiefs a chance, Reid is one of the top coaches, and Mahomes and their offense have real firepower, but in the NFC I'll be really surprised if the Rams beat the Saints, I just don't see it. Once the Saints got that little bit of rust off yesterday, they look for real. Big props to the Eagles though, they were the one losing team yesterday that truly came to fight. Champions to the end.

I too couldn't believe how little effort the Chargers seemed to have, right from the first play. Especially on defense. They never seemed to try to get after the ball, didn't really pressure Brady, didn't blitz well, didn't run any kind of press M2M coverage that can give Brady trouble (granted, you need the personnel to do it, and Tom has beaten that too), but they were amazingly flat. They also didn't seem in any sense of hurry or urgency on offense, even when way behind. Rivers seemed to be up for the game, but he was about it.

I couldn't believe how flat the Colts played either. Granted, they really were outmatched, but on offense they seemed lackadaisical, like it was a practice day, even Luck. And on defense, how many times can a team really jump offside? It was as if once they beat Houston, they knew their season was over, and they were set up to be good next year, which may be true in a sense.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
A mod should be able to fix that.

Historically when you get deep into the playoffs, veteran coaches, and veteran QBs are more likely to win. Granted, the Eagles bucked that last season, but look back at history and you'll find it's true. I'm also, at least right now, going with both the Saints and Patriots next weekend. I will give the Chiefs a chance, Reid is one of the top coaches, and Mahomes and their offense have real firepower, but in the NFC I'll be really surprised if the Rams beat the Saints, I just don't see it. Once the Saints got that little bit of rust off yesterday, they look for real. Big props to the Eagles though, they were the one losing team yesterday that truly came to fight. Champions to the end.

I too couldn't believe how little effort the Chargers seemed to have, right from the first play. Especially on defense. They never seemed to try to get after the ball, didn't really pressure Brady, didn't blitz well, didn't run any kind of press M2M coverage that can give Brady trouble (granted, you need the personnel to do it, and Tom has beaten that too), but they were amazingly flat. They also didn't seem in any sense of hurry or urgency on offense, even when way behind. Rivers seemed to be up for the game, but he was about it.

I couldn't believe how flat the Colts played either. Granted, they really were outmatched, but on offense they seemed lackadaisical, like it was a practice day, even Luck. And on defense, how many times can a team really jump offside? It was as if once they beat Houston, they knew their season was over, and they were set up to be good next year, which may be true in a sense.
I was disappointed to see Bosa joking with TB early in the 3rd. Even TB had a surprised look on his face.

Even though Mahomes is a young QB, KC does have the advantage of playing at home. That should count for something, plus Reid is a good coach. The big problem is that KC doesn't have a very good defense. That means their offense is going to have to put up points and likely touchdowns every time they put their hands on the ball.

Re:

Koronin said:
Even though Mahomes is a young QB, KC does have the advantage of playing at home. That should count for something, plus Reid is a good coach. The big problem is that KC doesn't have a very good defense. That means their offense is going to have to put up points and likely touchdowns every time they put their hands on the ball.

I give both the Rams and the Chiefs a good chance of progressing. Their defense has to be at least as good as this week but Mahomes is looking good and Goff will gain confidence from that win. I'd prefer not to see another Patriots SB win...........

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:

I give both the Rams and the Chiefs a good chance of progressing. Their defense has to be at least as good as this week but Mahomes is looking good and Goff will gain confidence from that win. I'd prefer not to see another Patriots SB win...........
Both KC and LAR are legit contenders and can win these games. LAR are going to have to play smarter though; no more mental blunders leading to stupid costly penalties like Talib & Peters have had. But the Saints have not played well or played a complete game in their last 4 games. If the LAR can play a complete game and catch the Saints in a bad day....

Home field can count for something, but in playoffs vs legit playoff teams, meh, not sure how much. Reid is a great coach. Belichick is better. As for the alleged bad KC defense (near league worst in regular season at over 26 PPG allowed and over 405 YPG allowed; but in playoffs, near best at 13 PPG and only 263 YPG): they will be key to winning if they can get pressure on Brady. KC's defense has a bad rep, but they have been better in the playoffs, and their DE Chris Jones is a stud right now (15.5 sacks this season). Then OLB Dee Ford has about 13 sacks. So, anything can happen if they can get after Brady and make him uncomfortable, but that's hard to do.

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Koronin said:

Both KC and LAR are legit contenders and can win these games. LAR are going to have to play smarter though; no more mental blunders leading to stupid costly penalties like Talib & Peters have had. But the Saints have not played well or played a complete game in their last 4 games. If the LAR can play a complete game and catch the Saints in a bad day....

Home field can count for something, but in playoffs vs legit playoff teams, meh, not sure how much. Reid is a great coach. Belichick is better. As for the alleged bad KC defense (near league worst in regular season at over 26 PPG allowed and over 405 YPG allowed; but in playoffs, near best at 13 PPG and only 263 YPG): they will be key to winning if they can get pressure on Brady. KC's defense has a bad rep, but they have been better in the playoffs, and their DE Chris Jones is a stud right now (15.5 sacks this season). Then OLB Dee Ford has about 13 sacks. So, anything can happen if they can get after Brady and make him uncomfortable, but that's hard to do.

Movingtarget, I'm with you on anyone but the Patriots.

on3m@n@rmy, I still remember how HORRIBLE Belichick was as the coach of the Browns before they moved to Baltimore. I despise him for what he did to that team and I'm a Steeler fan. So no Belichick is not a better coach than Reid is.

Wanted to shift gears and talk Kliff Kingsbury, the new AZ Cards HC. Who is Kingsbury? That was my first question when the hire was announced. Then found out why he was fired at Texas Tech; for poor defenses leading to losing records. So, the USC Trojans hired him as their new OC, for about one month until the Cards came calling with the HC offer. That is about where the negatives stop and the positives begin. USC wanted Kliff as their OC because during his college coaching career he had one of the nation's most explosive offenses since 2009 (at Houston, then Texas A&M, and then Texas Tech). He has coached the following notable QBs: Case Keenum, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield. OK, he also had Johnny Football, but won't hold that against Kingsbury. Here is the interesting part, and what I will be most interested in seeing what offense he brings to the NFL. In college, Kingsbury played for former TT HC Mike Leach, who ran the Air Raid spread offense. He ran his version of the Air Raid at TT, considered a pure version of Leach's Air Raid offense. So will Kingsbury bring the Air Raid offense to the NFL, and if so, will he be successful? We'll see. Some think the Air Raid is all about passing, which is not necessarily true. Kingsbury's offenses pass/run ratio has been about 50/50.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...as-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/2/18165433/kliff-kingsbury-cardinals-coach-hired

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/14/az-arizona-cardinals-kliff-kingsbury-offense-texas-tech/

Bill at the Browns was a looooooooong time ago, as was Carroll at the Jets. But I never said Bill was ethically respected (e.g. spygate, deflategate maybe, or on certain departures, heck even dealing JG last year to SF was eyebrow-raising). It is on record from Jimmy Johnson saying Bill is the best X's and O's coach in the game, and Reid was a HC when he said that. For one: https://www.patriots.com/news/jimmy-johnson-on-bill-belichick-he-s-the-best-303806

Shift gear a bit, I will say, if there is a year, THIS is the year to beat the Pats. Next NFL draft they have something like 11 draft picks and likely will free up cap space (e.g. Gronk).

on3m@n@rmy said:
Wanted to shift gears and talk Kliff Kingsbury, the new AZ Cards HC. Who is Kingsbury? That was my first question when the hire was announced. Then found out why he was fired at Texas Tech; for poor defenses leading to losing records. So, the USC Trojans hired him as their new OC, for about one month until the Cards came calling with the HC offer. That is about where the negatives stop and the positives begin. USC wanted Kliff as their OC because during his college coaching career he had one of the nation's most explosive offenses since 2009 (at Houston, then Texas A&M, and then Texas Tech). He has coached the following notable QBs: Case Keenum, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield. OK, he also had Johnny Football, but won't hold that against Kingsbury. Here is the interesting part, and what I will be most interested in seeing what offense he brings to the NFL. In college, Kingsbury played for former TT HC Mike Leach, who ran the Air Raid spread offense. He ran his version of the Air Raid at TT, considered a pure version of Leach's Air Raid offense. So will Kingsbury bring the Air Raid offense to the NFL, and if so, will he be successful? We'll see. Some think the Air Raid is all about passing, which is not necessarily true. Kingsbury's offenses pass/run ratio has been about 50/50.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...as-tech-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/2/18165433/kliff-kingsbury-cardinals-coach-hired

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/14/az-arizona-cardinals-kliff-kingsbury-offense-texas-tech/

i think what some NFL observers are saying is true. Everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay...........

The one thing about Kingsbury to Arizona is that Rosen didn't really play in an offense like that in college. I also am concerned that the Air Raid offense is too much of a jump for the NFL, no matter who the QB is. Maybe I'm just looking back to the Houston Oiler run and shoot spread ("chuck and duck" Buddy Ryan called it), and how even with Warren Moon that offense couldn't hold entire games. So, it remains to be seen how it works. I fear Klingsbury is the next Chip Kelly also.

As to NE at KC, the forecast calls for temperatures in the single digits come game time. This will be the coldest game Mahomes has ever played in, by far. For Tom Brady, quite the opposite. Will that matter?

Agree on New England next year. Presuming Brady plays again, presuming they move on from Gronk, they have a fat draft, and decent cap space, making them a serious favorite for the 2020 Superbowl...already.

on3m@n@rmy said:

I think this is strange. I wan't the Cards to be better, but what do they see here? Like many have said, everyone is looking for the next McVay so I guess we'll see. As has been discussed, just being a good coach is only part of the job, can he be a leader of other coaches, 53 20-40 year old men (many with attitudes$$), and put all of that together day in and day out to bring a solid team to the field each week? He really needs Fitz to buy in and stay around another year. On the other hand, I guess I do like that they didn't just grab a coordinator from another team.

Alpe d'Huez said:
The one thing about Kingsbury to Arizona is that Rosen didn't really play in an offense like that in college. I also am concerned that the Air Raid offense is too much of a jump for the NFL, no matter who the QB is. Maybe I'm just looking back to the Houston Oiler run and shoot spread ("chuck and duck" Buddy Ryan called it), and how even with Warren Moon that offense couldn't hold entire games. So, it remains to be seen how it works. I fear Klingsbury is the next Chip Kelly also.

As to NE at KC, the forecast calls for temperatures in the single digits come game time. This will be the coldest game Mahomes has ever played in, by far. For Tom Brady, quite the opposite. Will that matter?

Agree on New England next year. Presuming Brady plays again, presuming they move on from Gronk, they have a fat draft, and decent cap space, making them a serious favorite for the 2020 Superbowl...already.

Yes the chances of the Patriots falling into 49ers or Browns type situations with their franchise seem remote even when Brady and co are gone. Been a long time since they were not relevant to playoff forecasts. What happens football wise after Bill B eventually moves on is another matter. But he should leave it in good shape at least.

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Yes the chances of the Patriots falling into 49ers or Browns type situations with their franchise seem remote even when Brady and co are gone. Been a long time since they were not relevant to playoff forecasts. What happens football wise after Bill B eventually moves on is another matter. But he should leave it in good shape at least.
That's why JG was a good thing, and why they need to draft a QB this year. One of the talking heads said that Craft has contacted Foles' agent. While that would be good short (ish) term for the Pats, it doesn't do anything for Nick really because he's still a back up so why move? I guess he might see Brady being out sooner than Wentz? I've also heard that the Giants, Broncos and Cards have contacted his agent...he's hot now. The Eagles have made it clear that they want to keep him obviously. Back to the Pats though, if they don't have a solid plan in place for TB's replacement, they might not fall like the Browns and Niners, but they will certainly fall.

EDIT: now add the Jags to the Foles lottery.

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

That's why JG was a good thing, and why they need to draft a QB this year. One of the talking heads said that Craft has contacted Foles' agent. While that would be good short (ish) term for the Pats, it doesn't do anything for Nick really because he's still a back up so why move? I guess he might see Brady being out sooner than Wentz? I've also heard that the Giants, Broncos and Cards have contacted his agent...he's hot now. The Eagles have made it clear that they want to keep him obviously. Back to the Pats though, if they don't have a solid plan in place for TB's replacement, they might not fall like the Browns and Niners, but they will certainly fall.

The main issue is money. Bill must have known that as soon as Jimmy hit free agency and started receiving offers that would have meant the Patriots were out of the picture anyway. Browns were peeved that Bill turned down a better trade offer to send him to the 49ers where he supposedly has some friends and thought he would also put Jimmy in a potentially better situation than the Browns dumpster fire at the time. As we now know it's the Browns that have kicked on better than the 49ers but the good intentions were there.

Eagles can only keep Foles if they under pay what he is worth on the market. Foles as most players would, knows he has better options financially and will wait for the offers. Won a SB, been to the playoffs two years running. Many teams can't say that about their current QB. Wentz is only 25 and he is good enough to stick with but many are convinced that Foles is their better option at least as of now

Patriots can't lose Brady and eventually Bill B without losing out plus some of their other quality veteran players will be also gone. They might fall maybe to the middle of the pack which many won't be too upset about. If they select the wrong coach or QB then it could always be worse. Would be nice to see some other teams share the spoils and they have had a great run over a long period of time. Cowboys are improving, Kansas and the Rams will continue to be there. The Cardinals results speak for themselves and the Steelers are on a downward trajectory as are the Packers so some new teams will emerge in the playoffs. Patriots have plenty of draft picks this year and they need to hit pay dirt with a few re the future.

TRENDING THREADS