• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 390 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

movingtarget said:
Not a surprise...that's all the radio sport shows have been talking about here in Denver today. Basically, Keenum didn't like the idea by Elway of restructuring his contract and being the backup to Flacco. I think it's a great move by Keenum - you're signed to a big 2-year contract last year and told you're "the guy" for the Broncos and then Elway pulls a fast one and agrees to sign Flacco (who's run out of Baltimore after losing his starting job to Jackson) for this season. Lol. And now there's another move that Elway will have to make concerning a backup to Flacco and a future QB (Hogan is the only one left on the roster).

But more power to Keenum. Smith probably isn't coming back this season and that horrific injury likely could be career ending. The Skins only have journeyman Colt McCoy on their roster - so I see Keenum being handed the car keys at the start of the season. :)

Just a couple days ago I strongly suspected when Washington said they were good with Colt McCoy as their QB they were talking out their rear ends. I agree though, good move for Keenum. Good for him. I doubt he'll have as good of year as he did for Minnesota, but it should be better than last year in Denver.

I also commented the other day on Antonio Brown being a bit of a head case, and I think that's what we're seeing. The Browns didn't want him (they went through that with Gordon) now Buffalo doesn't want him. I think staff watch tape and see how talented he is physically, then look into it, maybe even meet him, and find out he's got screws loose. Not saying it's CTE, but it makes me wonder.

I also agree there has to be a lot of "fake news" floating around draft picks, a lot of smoke and mirrors to get other people, teams, to head off in the wrong direction.

In the AAF, Steve Spurrier's Orlando Apollos remain the only unbeaten team, and this week they head to Birmingham, who are 3-1, which should be the best game of the season so far. So if you haven't watched an AAF game yet, try to see this one.

I would really like to see Keenum play like he did in Min. Not because I like him particularly, but he is a glaring case (small c) of how an average QB needs everything to be just right to be good, and how a team can make it without a hype level QB.

Alpe, good call on Brown. A guy I ride with said that October ish. His behavior shows some type of psychosis.

Jerry Rice and others have been trying to get the 49ers to link with Brown. I think the 49ers had some interest originally but not after all of the acting out and especially after the Reuben Foster saga. I doubt that John Lynch is interested now and he said as much in an interview without saying it explicitly. Brown's value has tumbled and he could end up anywhere now. My guess is a third round pick at best. Obviously some serious mental issues going on there but the Steelers won't recover until Ben is gone as well. Tomlin seems to be running a fractured team.

Spot on there Koronin. The Steelers trade Brown for only a *3rd & 5th* round pick. Lol. I bet Chucky is grinning & winking over this one. Brown gets about 12 mil added to his contract plus 30 mil guaranted! (no $$$ was guaranteed on his Steeler contract).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-reportedly-heading-to-raiders-for-two-draft-picks-in-trade-with-steelers/

Any Steeler fans here? What's the inside scoop on this? Why doesn't Brown want to play for Tomlin anymore? A falling out with Big Ben also?

Re:

jmdirt said:
A Brown to the Vegas Raiders?

Good luck with that. I think plenty of teams were initially interested and are probably kicking themselves now but they didn't want to take a risk on someone who could be bad for the locker room if he starts acting out like as of late. But the Steelers saved money on trading him before 17 March I think. A year ago, they probably would have settled for nothing less than a first round pick. Next issue for the Raiders might be the QB position as Carr is not comparable to what he used to be but Gruden has stated he will be staying.....mmmm

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
A Brown to the Vegas Raiders?

Good luck with that. I think plenty of teams were initially interested and are probably kicking themselves now but they didn't want to take a risk on someone who could be bad for the locker room if he starts acting out like as of late. But the Steelers saved money on trading him before 17 March I think. A year ago, they probably would have settled for nothing less than a first round pick. Next issue for the Raiders might be the QB position as Carr is not comparable to what he used to be but Gruden has stated he will be staying.....mmmm
This is going to be one of those interesting things to watch and see how it works out. Maybe adding AB saves Derek Carr in the eyes of Gruden. In any case, Gruden looks like a genius at the moment having only given up 3rd and 5th round draft picks to the Steelers for AB. But we'll see by about mid-season next year.

As to why AB did not work out in PIT, it is anyone's guess. But it is a bizarre one that we may never know the answer to.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Also props to Maycock for his first real deal made in the NFL, post-TV world. But as others noted, the proof is in the pudding. Still, if he doesn't pan out, it's not at a great loss to the team.
Yes, how can I forget Mayock in that AB move? For that matter, the Steelers as well, considering the Steelers used a 6th round pick to draft AB to begin with and get a 3rd and 5th rounder in return. So they don't really lose much either.

Oh-oh, here's a possible oops for the Raiders: signing Patriots free agent LT Trent Brown for a record 4-year $66M deal, ~$37M guaranteed, making him the highest paid OL in the NFL.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...arget-in-free-agency-post-antonio-brown-trade
Consider this: Brown's skills not really put to the test in New England, where Brady gets rid of the ball fast. Now AB to the Raiders means Gruden & QB Derek Carr are going to want to go deep to AB, meaning Carr will have to hold the ball longer than Brady did, meaning LT Brown is really going to be tested. Then consider NE has one of the best OL coaches (Scarnecchia) but Oakland/Vegas has one of the worst (Cable) based on recent performance. Recall Nate Solder sort of became average after going to the Giants. Money aside, this move to sign the LT Brown is going to be anther interesting development to watch next season.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Also props to Maycock for his first real deal made in the NFL, post-TV world. But as others noted, the proof is in the pudding. Still, if he doesn't pan out, it's not at a great loss to the team.
Yes, how can I forget Mayock in that AB move? For that matter, the Steelers as well, considering the Steelers used a 6th round pick to draft AB to begin with and get a 3rd and 5th rounder in return. So they don't really lose much either.

Oh-oh, here's a possible oops for the Raiders: signing Patriots free agent LT Trent Brown for a record 4-year $66M deal, ~$37M guaranteed, making him the highest paid OL in the NFL.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...arget-in-free-agency-post-antonio-brown-trade
Consider this: Brown's skills not really put to the test in New England, where Brady gets rid of the ball fast. Now AB to the Raiders means Gruden & QB Derek Carr are going to want to go deep to AB, meaning Carr will have to hold the ball longer than Brady did, meaning LT Brown is really going to be tested. Then consider NE has one of the best OL coaches (Scarnecchia) but Oakland/Vegas has one of the worst (Cable) based on recent performance. Recall Nate Solder sort of became average after going to the Giants. Money aside, this move to sign the LT Brown is going to be anther interesting development to watch next season.

Someone's been listening to Colin Cowherd.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

I wasn't impressed with Brown in his last year for the 49ers but he certainly worked in the Patriots system. Another short term signing for the Patriots that turned out. Should he be the highest paid O Line player in the NFL ? No.

on3m@n@rmy said:
... AB to the Raiders means Gruden & QB Derek Carr are going to want to go deep to AB, meaning Carr will have to hold the ball longer than Brady did, meaning LT Brown is really going to be tested.
Right there is why I don't listen to Cowherd (presuming he said that), or most of the similar ESPN/FOX/etc. "experts". Cowherd doesn't know this. No one knows this. This is an incredible assumption. It conjures up images of Kurt Warner and the greatest show on turf, where deep bombs are almost the norm. Like that's going to be the new Raiders offense since they got AB, and since Trent Brown is only an above average tackle, the Raiders are doomed. I mean, really? What an idiotic assumption to put into people's brains. The Raiders may still have heaps of trouble, but it goes into a lot more detail than AB running fly patterns, and Brown not protecting Carr long enough.
Then consider NE has one of the best OL coaches (Scarnecchia) but Oakland/Vegas has one of the worst (Cable) based on recent performance.
This is true. Cable is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL at any level, based on performance, but also what some insiders have said.
Recall Nate Solder sort of became average after going to the Giants. Money aside, this move to sign the LT Brown is going to be anther interesting development to watch next season.
Nate Solder was an above average LT in the NFL for years, never making the Pro Bowl, he didn't play great in his last year in NE, and he slipped a little bit the first half of last season in NY, before playing better as the season went on. Yes, he's overpaid.

Yes, the Raiders overpaid for Brown.

Right you are. Call it conjecture. Or prediction. But honestly, I did not get that one from Cowherd. Haha. Got some of the content from Bleacher. You can find lots of highlights of Rothlisberger going deep to AB, so with AB-s nature of letting his thoughts known, its my guess the Raiders will try going deep to him. Then, its widely known Tom didn't go deep much last year and how quickly he generally gets the ball off. So there is an obvious potential scenario developing there on the Raiders. Potential. I also remember, as movingtarget said, that Brown was not that great when he played Seattle as a Niner, and was a bit surprised when NE picked him up to replace the departed Solder. Plus, you can find line blocking training video by Scarnecchia, who is a smart teacher IMO. I know what Cable is from his time in Seattle. With Cable, there's bad technique, and confusion by the OL on how & what they are to do, both sentiments expressed by 2 of Seattle's best OL guys (Dwayne Brown, & Justin Britt) when asked around last presason the difference between fotmer OL coach Cable & the new coach Solari. Yes, Brown & Britt sort of threw Cable under the bus it was that bad. Guys off balance, shoulders way out in front of feet, lunging, and vulnerable to change of direction - all stuff I've meantioned here before when venting about Cable. Cowherd said all that? Anyway, the dominoes are set in Oakland. Still, it is what it is. Prediction. Gruden, Cable, & their play calling might prove me wrong. Im good w/that.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Right you are. Call it conjecture. Or prediction. But honestly, I did not get that one from Cowherd. Haha. Got some of the content from Bleacher. You can find lots of highlights of Rothlisberger going deep to AB, so with AB-s nature of letting his thoughts known, its my guess the Raiders will try going deep to him. Then, its widely known Tom didn't go deep much last year and how quickly he generally gets the ball off. So there is an obvious potential scenario developing there on the Raiders. Potential.

I thought you did because it's almost verbatim what he said in my rare occasion listening to him, but I see he's not the only person with this take.

Gruden runs the offense. Anyone ever accused him of going deep much? I think the critique has almost always been that he's too conservative with too much dink and dunk and too many short throws. I see the more likely scenario being that AB will howl for different plays and clash with Gruden, but I don't see them changing the offense fundamentally.

I also remember, as movingtarget said, that Brown was not that great when he played Seattle as a Niner, and was a bit surprised when NE picked him up to replace the departed Solder. Plus, you can find line blocking training video by Scarnecchia, who is a smart teacher IMO. I know what Cable is from his time in Seattle. With Cable, there's bad technique, and confusion by the OL on how & what they are to do, both sentiments expressed by 2 of Seattle's best OL guys (Dwayne Brown, & Justin Britt) when asked around last presason the difference between fotmer OL coach Cable & the new coach Solari. Yes, Brown & Britt sort of threw Cable under the bus it was that bad. Guys off balance, shoulders way out in front of feet, lunging, and vulnerable to change of direction - all stuff I've meantioned here before when venting about Cable. Cowherd said all that? Anyway, the dominoes are set in Oakland. Still, it is what it is. Prediction. Gruden, Cable, & their play calling might prove me wrong. Im good w/that.

Agree on all counts.

red_flanders said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Right you are. Call it conjecture. Or prediction. But honestly, I did not get that one from Cowherd. Haha. Got some of the content from Bleacher. You can find lots of highlights of Rothlisberger going deep to AB, so with AB-s nature of letting his thoughts known, its my guess the Raiders will try going deep to him. Then, its widely known Tom didn't go deep much last year and how quickly he generally gets the ball off. So there is an obvious potential scenario developing there on the Raiders. Potential.

I thought you did because it's almost verbatim what he said in my rare occasion listening to him, but I see he's not the only person with this take.

Gruden runs the offense. Anyone ever accused him of going deep much? I think the critique has almost always been that he's too conservative with too much dink and dunk and too many short throws. I see the more likely scenario being that AB will howl for different plays and clash with Gruden, but I don't see them changing the offense fundamentally.

I also remember, as movingtarget said, that Brown was not that great when he played Seattle as a Niner, and was a bit surprised when NE picked him up to replace the departed Solder. Plus, you can find line blocking training video by Scarnecchia, who is a smart teacher IMO. I know what Cable is from his time in Seattle. With Cable, there's bad technique, and confusion by the OL on how & what they are to do, both sentiments expressed by 2 of Seattle's best OL guys (Dwayne Brown, & Justin Britt) when asked around last presason the difference between fotmer OL coach Cable & the new coach Solari. Yes, Brown & Britt sort of threw Cable under the bus it was that bad. Guys off balance, shoulders way out in front of feet, lunging, and vulnerable to change of direction - all stuff I've meantioned here before when venting about Cable. Cowherd said all that? Anyway, the dominoes are set in Oakland. Still, it is what it is. Prediction. Gruden, Cable, & their play calling might prove me wrong. Im good w/that.

Agree on all counts.
That there is a good point. Gruden and AB are kind of the wild cards. How much are both going to bend? If AB is true to his words that he "just wants to win" then maybe it works and Gruden won't have any issue, but AB may have to sacrifice personal goals and some of the glory. You can find a lot of guys who are team guys, sacrificing, and just want to win no matter how many receptions/glory they get. You know, Doug Baldwin, Larry Fitzgerald, Cooper Kupp, especially Baldwin in a run first offense, to name a few. If AB can be like them then it will work. Maybe 33 year-old Jordy Nelson can help with the emotional part. I really think had he gone to Arizona that Fitzgerald could have been a better role model. But with AB at about age 30, I have a hunch it may be more like a "leopard can't change his spots".

TRENDING THREADS