• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 396 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kaep let his intentions be know.n...

We'll see how important JJ thinks Elliott is.

The Cowboy contract dramas are probably far from a resolution. Gurley was lucky, his new contract was signed before the knee became an issue. Don't expect him to be used so much this season. Rams had a good back up RB but he has moved on also. Both teams relied a lot on their RB obviously.

Kaep didn't want less money at the the Bronco's and couldn't give Seattle a straight answer about his protesting when they interviewed him. He underestimated how little interest there would be which was understandable at the time. Denver might have turned out for him with all of the QB issues they have had, who knows ? On it goes........

Last edited:
Been so long for me I nearly forgot how to logon.

Well, stupid is as stupid does. That is the current state of NFL officiating regarding getting PI calls correct. Remember, this offseason the league changed the PI rules so that blatant PI calls & non-calls, like the one last season that went against the Saints vs the Rams in the NFC championship game, won't ever happen again. (https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ule-already-causing-problems-due-to-get-worse). WRONG again. Example: last friday's preseason game, Bengals at Redskins, at about the 13:25 mark of the 4th quarter, offensive PI was called against Skins WR Harmon, and the call was UPHELD. The bad call was upheld because of an apparent push-off by the WR on the defender long before the WR made a leap through the defender to catch the ball. OK, unfortunately us TV viewers can't see everything, because replays of the whole play do not show the WR and defender along the entire passing route Harmon was running. But here is the critical part of the rule from the above link I posted:
By rule, pass interference requires an act that 'significantly hinders' an opponent's opportunity to make a play on the ball.
Looking at the replay (see replay in this link,
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story...lains-controversial-opi-call-against-redskins) when the WR Harmon made his leap to catch the ball the defender was STILL in very good position to defend the catch. So, the defender had NOT been significantly hindered from defending the play. Skins' HC Jay Gruden could not understand how the call could have been upheld, and I agree. I just don't get it. What I do get is no matter the good intent of certain rule changes, MISTAKES BY OFFICIALS WILL STILL BE MADE AND I MIGHT AS WELL GET USED TO IT.

Anyone not enjoying the game blackouts due the disputes between the NFL and providers like ATT/DirectTV? (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/directv-nfl-raycom). I have kind of gotten around it by picking up NFL Game Pass, but some Live events are still blocked out. But at least blocked-out games can be viewed in full, condensed, or highlight versions a little while after the event has ended. I just have to stop paying attention to real-time score updates.

I've always liked Redzone, if you can get it. It's sort of like watching all of the games, with someone else in your living room holding the remote, but he's really, really good at turning the channel at the right moment.

Sticking with my pick for the Patriots to win the Superbowl again. More later, I hope.

For those who think Pats win again, do you think the team carries Brady again like they pretty much did last year? I mean he was ok but probably not top 5. I wonder if it happens, if Brady gets treated as if it was all him once again.

Maybe at some point its better for the Pats to keep winning the SB when he's clearly a level behind other qb's and not in the mvp race. I really hope Belli wins one without him at some point.

I think that BB will retire when TB does.

I haven't been paying attention to preseason games because work is crazy and monitoring the contractors/grunts at my house is almost a full time job too (they are a different beast!). I watched a few minutes of Denver games to see how Rypien is doing, but he hasn't gotten too many snaps.

Brady played solid, not MVP level, with the tools and situations he was given. He's a win first person that doesn't care about his own stats. If running the ball 50 times, running 25 passing 25, or passing 50 wins different games that's what he is doing. While running an offense that is hard to put points up with small grinding the ball plays to kill time, which a lot of other quarterbacks can't do or don't have the confidence to succeed.

The Patriots success over the years is from both BB and TB. Without the other neither would have had half of their success. This year is looking better with Gordon coming back but Gronk will be missed and the defense still needs to llay solid. I think only the Chiefs can beat them in the playoffs but if it's a tight game, guaranteed Chiefs lose because they can't slow it down.

I agree with Alpe d'Huez if you can get Red Zone that is the best way to watch the NFL games on Sunday afternoon. It's on Dish as part of the sports package and I think I saw the streaming service Fubo.tv has it. No idea who else happens to carry it.

As for the Super Bowl, I'll take anyone over the Pats, although I have my preferred teams.

I don't think the Chiefs are going to be quite as good as last year. That doesn't mean they won't be able to make the playoffs or anything. I think the Chargers actually have a very good chance of winning that division even. IF Luck is healthy, the Colts could make a serious run at it. I actually think the Texans may surprise some people too. Lots of talk of the Browns breaking out, but I've so far been more impressed by the Steelers still in that division. They seem balanced, and pretty deep at a lot of positions.

As to Brady, he's still an elite QB, in that he can win games for you, by performing at the highest level when it's needed most. I mean, if he's not a top 5 QB? Who is? We could say Mahomes, a healthy Rogers, maybe a healthy Luck, probably Brees are usually better, they are better statistically. Who's next Wilson? Ryan? Rivers? Wentz? If we were able to draft, and I was able to have first pick, I'd still consider taking Brady. Now, at some point, like Brees, and Rivers, he's going to fade just enough, likely in arm strength, plus any mobility left, to where he simply won't be as effective, but even then, could still win games for you (think Peyton Manning in his last season, Joe Montana for the Chiefs, etc.).

In the NFC, I still like the Rams, but I also like the Eagles if Wentz can stay healthy. He has all the tools there to have a MVP season. I could see them ending up in the SB again actually. Of course the Saints with Brees, presuming he still has it, they also have a certain motivation perhaps, having been burned last year. But by the numbers the Falcons could be quite good. I also think the Bears will be very good again, their D is solid and deep. Trubisky by every guess is headed for his best season yet. Curious how well both the Vikings and Packers play. Both look like they could go 11-5, or 7-9.

I haven't been paying attention to preseason games because work is crazy and monitoring the contractors/grunts at my house is almost a full time job too (they are a different beast!). I watched a few minutes of Denver games to see how Rypien is doing, but he hasn't gotten too many snaps.
If you can watch any the game this weekend, Rypien should see plenty of action possibly see an entire half with Hogan see the other. Flacco isn't probably going to play and Lock out that leaves Hogan & Rypien as the only backups. In fact, Lock might be put on the IR (8 weeks) for the severe thumb sprain he sustained on his throwing hand last week - big blow for the Broncos and it's only preseason.

If you can watch any of the game this weekend, Rypien should see plenty of action possibly splitting a half with Hogan. Flacco probably isn't going see any action and with Drew Lock out that leaves Hogan & Rypien as the only backups. In fact, Lock might be put on IR (8 weeks) with the severely sprained thumb he sustained on his throwing hand last week against SF - big blow to the Broncos and it's only preseason.

I've been a 'fan' of the NFL since the mid '70s ish and probably spend too much of my life watching games and reading news/stats. I've never really loved the preseason, but it starts getting me excited for the regular season to come. I have to admit though, that I'm not even the least bit excited right now. Some of it is because of being too busy with other things (work, home destruction, riding dirt...), but some of it is because I think that I might have hit a wall with the league, stupid owners, thug players, and especially three year $78 million contracts (then holding out for more on year two).

RE: the obscene money: give me a coupla million bucks when I was 22 and my quality of life would be royal (riding, hiking , skiing, traveling... everyday!). You're getting $10 mil a year, shut up and bust your ars.

I'll probably come around again on a cold, wet October Sunday...

Real shocker. Luck says he's "mentally worn down", and is planning to retire, immediately.

He was one of the most promising young QBs in years, a genuine generational talent, and on a team that protected him better, he might have avoided the injuries, and gone on to fulfill his promise of one of the greatest ever. The Colts broke through as a team last year, looked as though they were becoming genuine SB contenders. Without Luck, you can forget that. This has major ramifications for the AFC.

In recent years, a number of stars have retired early, maybe over concern about concussions, and certainly a QB has to worry about that. But Luck always struck me as totally dedicated to the game, who wanted to play as long as he could. This really surprises me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I feel this will become a more common occurrence with players starting to prioritise a better quality of life post career rather than chasing another few million $$$. Luck is obviously a smart guy with his Stanford degree and in my opinion, the booing of him at full time vindicates him thoroughly. Players are purely a commodity to be traded and exhausted for teams and fans alike.

I agree with Tommy. I don't think this is an anomaly. Luck isn't just the new Jake Locker, I think this is why you see a lot of support on Twitter and elsewhere from former, and current players, about his decision. Lots of players "get it".

My gut also tells me he's more banged up than we realize, and as noted by many, a smart guy who could see his future if he continued down this path. Did any of you read recent articles on Joe Montana? How his body is so broken he can barely able put a shirt on, as his left shoulder is so restrictive, and on many days it takes him several minutes to get moving his body is so stiff with aches and pains, and some days the pain never fully goes away. He ended up with opioid issues, and now is using CBD/marijuana based relief daily, even though he said the thought of this once turned him completely off years ago. His broken body is the norm, not the exception, for many, many players.

Luck retiring just about hands the division to Houston (who I think may have won it anyway). Though I do think Tennessee will be okay. Jax has no tools for Foles, and the Colts, well, I hope Brissett does have a good season. He has played well at times, and under Reich, he may flourish, but they have OL issues that will affect him, as much as they did Luck.

Reactions: jmdirt
I agree with Tommy. I don't think this is an anomaly. Luck isn't just the new Jake Locker, I think this is why you see a lot of support on Twitter and elsewhere from former, and current players, about his decision. Lots of players "get it".

My gut also tells me he's more banged up than we realize, and as noted by many, a smart guy who could see his future if he continued down this path. Did any of you read recent articles on Joe Montana? How his body is so broken he can barely able put a shirt on, as his left shoulder is so restrictive, and on many days it takes him several minutes to get moving his body is so stiff with aches and pains, and some days the pain never fully goes away. He ended up with opioid issues, and now is using CBD/marijuana based relief daily, even though he said the thought of this once turned him completely off years ago. His broken body is the norm, not the exception, for many, many players.

Luck retiring just about hands the division to Houston (who I think may have won it anyway). Though I do think Tennessee will be okay. Jax has no tools for Foles, and the Colts, well, I hope Brissett does have a good season. He has played well at times, and under Reich, he may flourish, but they have OL issues that will affect him, as much as they did Luck.

Yeah Montana is a real mess.

Luck is more banged up than we knew, and recently as in the last weeks. In his presser he briefly explained the extent of the recent injuries, he named 3, one a medical term i cannot recall, plus a high ankle sprain, plus a calf injury. He said he's physically exhausted, and mentally just as or more exhausted. I sense the constant rehab is just too draining for him, just to get back to a level he can play at, which would be falling short of some goal he'd hope to improve to. He said this constant rehab process has kind of killed the joy he had for the game, and so with his physical and emotional limitations, just would be "selling himself short" to teammates and himself. And he did not want to do that. And then there were the other injuries: ribs, kidney, shoulder. He has had to deal with a lot. So I just wish him well. Maybe in a year he'll come out of retirement, but he says now that's not likely to happen.

Reactions: movingtarget
Thoughts on teams and divisions.

AFC

I'm curious if either the Bills or Jets can win enough games to contend for a WC spot. Both have the potential, on paper at least.

The battle between the Chargers and Chiefs for AFC West supremacy should be fun to watch. The Raiders will be lucky to win 6 games. Antonio Brown is just a head case (didn't I say that at the end of last season? Suspecting he even had early CTE?). Curious if Flacco plays poorly (I think he will) when Drew Lock gets a chance? He's showed some poise in the pre-season.

I like the Steelers to regain the AFC North. Cleveland is loaded, but the Steelers still seem like a better run, better coached organization. Losing Brown may actually have helped.

I liked Houston in the south before, and still do. Look for a great year from Watson.

NFC

Philly looks like a SB contender, but that is an interesting division. Washington has a tough opening, and after they start the year 2-4 or so, look for Haskins to start, and take over the team. I could see similar from Daniel Jones in NY. In fact, he's played better in the preseason than anyone expected, and Eli looked worse. The only thing likely keeping them from starting Jones is NYC is a rough place to not perform. The fans can be rough, and media rougher.

Anyone think either SF or Seattle can contend for a WC spot? Garoppolo started very bad, but looks like he's getting the rust off. And what happens in AZ if they, and Murray just suck?

I like the Bears to have a very good year, if Trubisky can play to the level expected. He's progressed slowly, and this looks like it should be his year to break out. Curious how Minnesota and GB play. Either could make the playoffs. Is AR healthy? Can he stay healthy?

The NFC South should be very fun to watch, again. I think both the Saints, and Falcons are going to be quite good, even blow out a few good teams along the way, and Carolina could be decent as well.

I'll stick with the Patriots winning the SB. I realize this is an "easy" pick, and I should note I'm not cheering for them. In fact, I'd love it if Buffalo won that division, and somehow New England finished last. But I just don't see that, only an idiot would. The Patriots seem so completely solid across the board, on both sides of the ball, and deeper than they have been in a few years.

TRENDING THREADS