• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 395 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
All of us who frequent this thread could be accused of liking football (NFL and NCAA), I'm certainly guilty of that. The TV coverage of the draft is insane though! Is there anyone who is a big enough fan to watch 200 hours of the draft?!

The actual draft yes, but not all the extra coverage. Have had some of it on more as background noise than anything else. If I'm home and awake the TV is on for that reason. I've been watching it on the NFL Network. (Yes guilty of liking football. :) )

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Bayliss (and Mel Kiper) are dinosaurs. ESPN still operating like it's Y2K and people like them are relevant, and the two of them do all they can to act the part, like many others on the four-letter network.

Good for Josh Rosen to get out of Arizona, agree with what you said.

The Cards had a cheesecloth OL last year (ask Rosen, or Bradford), yet they have drafted no offensive linemen so far to help Murray.

Good patience on Denver to wait for Lock. Out of all the QB's taken, he may be in the best position. Not expected to start right away, on a team in transition.

I again am disappointed to see the Raiders reach and get Trayon Mullen, when both Joejuan Willams and Greedy Williams were still on the board. It's like the only scouting film Gruden and Maycock watched was the Clemson-Alabama game.

There was talk on some boards that Jacksonville was going to use their pick at 7 on Jawaan Taylor, as they rally need an OT to protect Foles, and Taylor was the best OL prospect in the draft. Well, as luck would have it, he fell all the way to the 2nd round, and the Jags made a swap with Oakland to grab him.

Somehow, some way, DK Metcalf fell all the way to Seattle, where he'll certainly be welcome. But with Baldwin maybe retiring, Metcalf doesn't look like that kind of receiver. Hmmm.

Recall the Jets trade last year with the Colts? In exchange for Sam Darnold (jury still out, probably good), the Colts got:

OL Quenton Nelson
OL Braden Smith
DE Kemoko Turay
RB Jordan Wilkins
CB Rock Ya-Sin

Nelson alone has already proved more valuable. Made the Pro Bowl, first team NFL All-Pro (meaning the best in the league at his position), and got rookie of the year votes... AS A GUARD!!!

Smith has also been a versatile OL, playing both strong side guard, before settling on at RT and playing very well the last 12 games, and both playoff games.

Yeah the Cardinals picked some good players but didn't really address their most obvious issues. I was hoping that the 49ers were going to grab Hakeem Butler but the Cards got him. He will be the Fitzgerald in waiting or so they hope. Deebo Samuel I was happy with all the same and the 49ers got an Aussie punter in the fourth round which hasn't gone down that well but they needed one and he is supposed to be very good.

Now that the draft is over, pundits tend to look at two things: Who didn't get drafted, and where they end up, and what veteran free agents didn't get traded, or remain unsigned. Recall that every year there are plenty of injuries, and players who haven't been in the league for a few years can often go from street clothes to starting within a week (Josh Johnson).

There were a couple QBs expected to be drafted, but weren't. Tyree Jackson, who signed with Buffalo, Nick Fitzgerald of Miss St. who signed with Tampa, Brett Rypien of Boise State who signed with Denver. But there were a heap more players undrafted, but signed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028811/article/top-undrafted-rookie-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft

So, what name free agent vets are left?

Ndamukong Suh, Zach Brown, Jamie Collins, Morris Claiborne, Jay Ajai, Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Kevin Benjamin, Cody Parkey, Josh McCown, Sam Bradford, (did you know Sam is only 31? He seems much older). If you look at a bigger list, the running theme is that many of these guys are around 30, it's questionable how much they have left in the tank, and despite playing okay, rarely seemed to achieve top level status worth taking a risk on, or did years ago, and the cost may not be worth it now to teams.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Now that the draft is over, pundits tend to look at two things: Who didn't get drafted, and where they end up, and what veteran free agents didn't get traded, or remain unsigned. Recall that every year there are plenty of injuries, and players who haven't been in the league for a few years can often go from street clothes to starting within a week (Josh Johnson).

There were a couple QBs expected to be drafted, but weren't. Tyree Jackson, who signed with Buffalo, Nick Fitzgerald of Miss St. who signed with Tampa, Brett Rypien of Boise State who signed with Denver. But there were a heap more players undrafted, but signed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028811/article/top-undrafted-rookie-free-agents-following-the-2019-nfl-draft

Ndamukong Suh, Zach Brown, Jamie Collins, Morris Claiborne, Jay Ajai, Dez Bryant, Michael Crabtree, Kevin Benjamin, Cody Parkey, Josh McCown, Sam Bradford, (did you know Sam is only 31? He seems much older). If you look at a bigger list, the running theme is that many of these guys are around 30, it's questionable how much they have left in the tank, and despite playing okay, rarely seemed to achieve top level status worth taking a risk on, or did years ago, and the cost may not be worth it now to teams.
The local news lady (not sports person just general news) said "Brett was signed by the other Broncos, but might not be the starter right a way". :lol:

I would love to see him start, but Joe and Drew might have some input too.

I thought that LAR made an offer...did Suh say no?

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

one draft verdict along those lines on your Raiders, which I'm guessing you'll like...
"Mike Mayock shines in his first go-around with the Raiders
The Raiders killed it. What's funny is that for years, Mike Mayock was regarded as one of the top talent evaluators in the NFL. His yearly conference call was the most anticipated part of draft season, save for the actual draft himself. And while it seemed like the Raiders reached for Clelin Ferrell with the No. 4 selection, you should realize that if Mayock were still part of the media, he would have had Ferrell as one of his top defenders -- and his draft stock would have risen in response. But credit to Mayock for keeping that close to the pinstriped vest and being able to get his guy. He also rebuilt the Raiders' defense with a number of solid picks and even found a successor to Marshawn Lynch when he drafted Josh Jacobs. So have your fun with the Raiders now, because we are going to look back on this draft much differently by this time next year. Or you will; I already know this was a really good draft."

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I too was really surprised with Ferrell going that high. A guy who likely would have been there at 24, or lower. Josh Allen was rated higher by everyone, and a similar player. It's like they were desperately reaching for someone, anyone, who can maybe fill the void left by Mack. Like that's going to happen. I don't like picking a RB high either, though they likely got the best safety in the draft. A hitter who can cover, which is great.

I'm going to walk back my comments a bit. I don't think Ferrell would have been there at 24 at all. They tried to trade back and got no takers. I don't see a big delta between Ferrell and Josh Allen, and since the draft they've explained what they were doing. They were going for leadership and talent, and Ferrell seems to fit that much better than Allen. They also need a 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 guy which many project Allen to be, and Ferrell fits that much better and should be stouter against the run. I don't love that they didn't get someone better at 4, but I don't know who it would have been.

Josh Jacobs is going to be a star. Probably my favorite pick in this draft. The safety looks great. The lower part of the draft was really good as well, though I don't really get the DE Maxx Crosby. Hopefully he works out but hard to imagine they had to burn an early 4th round pick to get him.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
Suh to TB? Hum, I really thought that LAR would figure out a way to keep him.

Money. He must have got a better offer. Veteran player etc.........
Actually, I'm not surprised they let him go. Statistically, he did not help their defense vs the run, just based on how Seattle was able to run right through them with their mediocre OL. Not sure how they did defensively vs other opponents though, and not sure about their roster right now. But IMO, not enough bang for the buck would be my guess why they let him go.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
Suh to TB? Hum, I really thought that LAR would figure out a way to keep him.

Money. He must have got a better offer. Veteran player etc.........
Actually, I'm not surprised they let him go. Statistically, he did not help their defense vs the run, just based on how Seattle was able to run right through them with their mediocre OL. Not sure how they did defensively vs other opponents though, and not sure about their roster right now. But IMO, not enough bang for the buck would be my guess why they let him go.

Yeah I think so.

Re:

Not shocked either.

Archibald said:
dust settling after the draft... this was an interesting list
I'm sure Alpe will be pleased (I recall you touting the "No.1" during the last season as being the 'real deal')
I'll pick them over KC to take the west. In fact, despite their meltdown in Foxboro last season, I think they have the best chance at upending the Patriots. At least that's what I think now.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Not shocked either.

Archibald said:
dust settling after the draft... this was an interesting list
I'm sure Alpe will be pleased (I recall you touting the "No.1" during the last season as being the 'real deal')
I'll pick them over KC to take the west. In fact, despite their meltdown in Foxboro last season, I think they have the best chance at upending the Patriots. At least that's what I think now.
AFC West should be an interesting watch this coming season.

Here is an interesting quote:
"From a team perspective, this is a pass-oriented league," Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens said, per ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert. "You need to be able to throw the ball, and you need to be able to stop people from throwing the ball."

While Kitchens' statement seems obvious, two archaic ideas persist: The run sets up the pass, and good offenses are balanced with equal run and pass distribution. Neither is true.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837864-building-the-perfect-receiver-scheme-in-todays-nfl
The article explains how to have a successful passing attack, and why he thinks neither archaic idea is true. A team that can run the ball does not mean they'll be successful passing. I'd agree.

Not discussed in the article: But which idea is the dominant idea leading to a team's success? I have more thoughts on that. Maybe later.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Here is an interesting quote:
"From a team perspective, this is a pass-oriented league," Cleveland Browns head coach Freddie Kitchens said, per ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert. "You need to be able to throw the ball, and you need to be able to stop people from throwing the ball."

While Kitchens' statement seems obvious, two archaic ideas persist: The run sets up the pass, and good offenses are balanced with equal run and pass distribution. Neither is true.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837864-building-the-perfect-receiver-scheme-in-todays-nfl
The article explains how to have a successful passing attack, and why he thinks neither archaic idea is true. A team that can run the ball does not mean they'll be successful passing. I'd agree.

Not discussed in the article: But which idea is the dominant idea leading to a team's success? I have more thoughts on that. Maybe later.
A team that can run the ball well CAN be more successful passing because the threat of, Elliott for example, can hold an OLB and/or a DB (S). Holding the LB might give the QB a second more, and holding the S gives the receivers more field to work with. Obviously a RB who can catch the ball makes the passing game more effective as well (Elliott, Kamara, Gurly, McCaff, Barkley*...). I don't think that "balanced" is a key in the NFL of 2019. 80 pass/20 run?

*SB WAS the O for NYG so he is an example of successful running and receiving from the backfield, but not a successful team. Obviously to be successful you need more pieces.

I wonder if there is a nationwide trend of reduced numbers of kids trying out for football. Or if other high schools across the nation have cancelled their HS football programs. One PNW HS coach thinks so:
https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1141094944163033088
Part of the reason for cancelling (per local news), besides only having 10 players try out for a high school having a student enrollment of about 780, was the school district admins did not want to put 14-15 year-old kids out on the field vs 17-18 year-olds.

So, some fan (retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle) ran a poll as to why there might be a trend of reduced numbers of players trying out. Out of 1785 voters the results were:
- 64% Safety concerns
- 09% Other sports
- 19% Video Games (I had to laugh at this one)
- 08% Other
https://twitter.com/TaylorJacobs/status/1140771845517430784

The fan's poll by itself would not raise my eyebrows, but coupled with the Anacortes school district decision to cancel the program for 2019, yes.

Just wondering if schools across the rest of the country are experiencing a reduction in players or cancellation of programs.

BTW, announced sometime this week, the NFL is trying to coordinate with the NCAA on ways to improve safety and reduce injury. Coincidence?

on3m@n@rmy said:
I wonder if there is a nationwide trend of reduced numbers of kids trying out for football. Or if other high schools across the nation have cancelled their HS football programs. One PNW HS coach thinks so:
https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/1141094944163033088
Part of the reason for cancelling (per local news), besides only having 10 players try out for a high school having a student enrollment of about 780, was the school district admins did not want to put 14-15 year-old kids out on the field vs 17-18 year-olds.

So, some fan (retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle) ran a poll as to why there might be a trend of reduced numbers of players trying out. Out of 1785 voters the results were:
- 64% Safety concerns
- 09% Other sports
- 19% Video Games (I had to laugh at this one)
- 08% Other
https://twitter.com/TaylorJacobs/status/1140771845517430784

The fan's poll by itself would not raise my eyebrows, but coupled with the Anacortes school district decision to cancel the program for 2019, yes.

Just wondering if schools across the rest of the country are experiencing a reduction in players or cancellation of programs.

BTW, announced sometime this week, the NFL is trying to coordinate with the NCAA on ways to improve safety and reduce injury. Coincidence?
The numbers are down in Idaho too. I think that its a combo of factors. Certainly safety concerns are the top of the list, so if a parent/kid has safety concerns and there is another option, they play the other option, but if there isn't another option they either go ahead and play football or just play video games. Some of the small schools, 1A-II, 1A-I, are having trouble even filling a team for eight person teams, but the bigger, 5A and 4A schools are still fine with numbers. Some 2A schools have trouble but that has been the case at least since the '80s. Even when they have enough to play, they don't have enough to scrimage. My cousin's kid only had 14 on his team last year, but my cousin only had 20ish on his team in the late '80s at the same school.

Alex Smith
This is a pretty good interview (after you skip the silly intro and get to AS):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wziKrInMvxA&feature=youtu.be

I have a friend who 'exploded' his tib/fib/femur in a moto crash and had external appliances for 11 months. Now, three years later, he can ski with his kids and ride dirt with us. He's not an NFL QB, but his situation gives me some insight into how AS might recover. The bones healing correctly is one thing, but the soft tissue is more important. AS's knee appears to be good.

I doubt Alex Smith ever plays again, but until he is fully rehabbed and able to live a normal life, he will not file formal retirement papers, so as to make sure he gets the best support/resources from the team.

I'm not sure of the details of his salary, but am sure he gets a bit more coin this way as well.

TRENDING THREADS