• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 397 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thoughts on teams and divisions.

AFC

I'm curious if either the Bills or Jets can win enough games to contend for a WC spot. Both have the potential, on paper at least.

The battle between the Chargers and Chiefs for AFC West supremacy should be fun to watch. The Raiders will be lucky to win 6 games. Antonio Brown is just a head case (didn't I say that at the end of last season? Suspecting he even had early CTE?). Curious if Flacco plays poorly (I think he will) when Drew Lock gets a chance? He's showed some poise in the pre-season.

I like the Steelers to regain the AFC North. Cleveland is loaded, but the Steelers still seem like a better run, better coached organization. Losing Brown may actually have helped.

I liked Houston in the south before, and still do. Look for a great year from Watson.

NFC

Philly looks like a SB contender, but that is an interesting division. Washington has a tough opening, and after they start the year 2-4 or so, look for Haskins to start, and take over the team. I could see similar from Daniel Jones in NY. In fact, he's played better in the preseason than anyone expected, and Eli looked worse. The only thing likely keeping them from starting Jones is NYC is a rough place to not perform. The fans can be rough, and media rougher.

Anyone think either SF or Seattle can contend for a WC spot? Garoppolo started very bad, but looks like he's getting the rust off. And what happens in AZ if they, and Murray just suck?

I like the Bears to have a very good year, if Trubisky can play to the level expected. He's progressed slowly, and this looks like it should be his year to break out. Curious how Minnesota and GB play. Either could make the playoffs. Is AR healthy? Can he stay healthy?

The NFC South should be very fun to watch, again. I think both the Saints, and Falcons are going to be quite good, even blow out a few good teams along the way, and Carolina could be decent as well.

I'll stick with the Patriots winning the SB. I realize this is an "easy" pick, and I should note I'm not cheering for them. In fact, I'd love it if Buffalo won that division, and somehow New England finished last. But I just don't see that, only an idiot would. The Patriots seem so completely solid across the board, on both sides of the ball, and deeper than they have been in a few years.

Someone needs to stop the Patriots juggernaut.............it's getting very old like Tom.........I have doubts about the Steelers. NFC West could be a fierce battle especially if Murray does better than expected and Jimmy lives up to the hype. I think the Bears should do well. The two intriguing teams for me are the Browns, and the Colts with Brissett......................go Niners !

Well, the season starts today. One thing I noticed about the preseason was how little known starters and stars actually played. It's always been the case, but this year seemed even more than normal. It's like the risk of players getting hurt is just too great, so the team just gets these big name guys out there just enough so they keep their "football shape" condition, and don't get too rusty.

GB@CHI - Not going to make a lot of predictions this year is my guess. But I'll take the Bears tonight. My only question is just how healthy, prepared, still great and dangerous is Rodgers? If so, he can beat anyone on any day. But the Packers are a big question mark overall. I expect Trubisky to take a step up and have an excellent season. If so, the Bears look like a SB contender to me, at least on paper.

Well, the season starts today. One thing I noticed about the preseason was how little known starters and stars actually played. It's always been the case, but this year seemed even more than normal. It's like the risk of players getting hurt is just too great, so the team just gets these big name guys out there just enough so they keep their "football shape" condition, and don't get too rusty.

GB@CHI - Not going to make a lot of predictions this year is my guess. But I'll take the Bears tonight. My only question is just how healthy, prepared, still great and dangerous is Rodgers? If so, he can beat anyone on any day. But the Packers are a big question mark overall. I expect Trubisky to take a step up and have an excellent season. If so, the Bears look like a SB contender to me, at least on paper.

Yeah I like the Bears as well in that game. From Rodgers comments it seems that the new offense is a work in progress.

Someone needs to stop the Patriots juggernaut.............it's getting very old like Tom.........I have doubts about the Steelers. NFC West could be a fierce battle especially if Murray does better than expected and Jimmy lives up to the hype. I think the Bears should do well. The two intriguing teams for me are the Browns, and the Colts with Brissett......................go Niners !
The NFC West should get down to Rams, Seahawks. Sorry about the Niners though. Still like their uniforms!

I've been a 'fan' of the NFL since the mid '70s ish and probably spend too much of my life watching games and reading news/stats. I've never really loved the preseason, but it starts getting me excited for the regular season to come. I have to admit though, that I'm not even the least bit excited right now. Some of it is because of being too busy with other things (work, home destruction, riding dirt...), but some of it is because I think that I might have hit a wall with the league, stupid owners, thug players, and especially three year $78 million contracts (then holding out for more on year two).

RE: the obscene money: give me a coupla million bucks when I was 22 and my quality of life would be royal (riding, hiking , skiing, traveling... everyday!). You're getting $10 mil a year, shut up and bust your ars.

I'll probably come around again on a cold, wet October Sunday...
Elliott and Goff's new contracts did not help my feelings...

I'll watch tonight because I've only missed one first game (we didn't have TV in basic training) since I have been old enough to watch. Plus, I'm stressed to the absolute max so drinking beer and watching people slam into each other might help!

Def AB is crazy. Certifiable. Steeler fans must be howling.

Well, GB has a defense. At least one that can stop a stagnant Bear offense. Trubisky was awful. Strong arm but inaccurate. Threw off the back foot a lot. Both teams have a lot of rust to shake off still.

All the local coverages of last night's Packet-Bears game were blocked out (Direct TV), but was able to watch live on Game Pass. Most LIVE games I'll watch this year will be blocked out on Game Pass also. But I will be laughing me arse off at the networks as I watch full games commercial-free on Game Pass - albeit not live but available post-game. That's my 3-finger salute to the networks for their impasse with providers. If I were the advertisers running ads, I'd be p!ssed at the networks and pull all my ads.

Possible interesting situation to watch may be the Cards, where HC Kingsburry says it's like pulling teeth to get Kyler Murray to select plays. Not sure yet what that comment was about.

PFF rankings for top 10 running teams excluded Seattle, who might have been tops last season in yards rushing. I'll stuck my neck out. Watch out. If SEA OL stays healthy that group (even without Iupati) is going to dominate.

I only get highlights on Youtube, looked like Trubisky just couldn't string a drive together. Whether that was down to GB DL or Trubisky/ Bear OL I couldn't tell. Seems like both QBs had trouble picking guys in low coverage.
Agree they could not string drive together. Then in the 4th, Bears self destructed with too many offensive penalties, and when they needed Trubisky to shine, he couldn't. Credit the GB defense that got some pressure on Trubisky, which probably caused some bad decisions or bad throws.

A game where both defences were dominant, bar one great drive from Rogers which turned out to be enough. Expected better from the Bears, who need to find something more on offence if they are to challenge later in the season, and cut out the mistakes of the 4th Q when they had half a chance of getting back into it.

A game where both defences were dominant, bar one great drive from Rogers which turned out to be enough. Expected better from the Bears, who need to find something more on offence if they are to challenge later in the season, and cut out the mistakes of the 4th Q when they had half a chance of getting back into it.
Tough to watch this. I missed the 3rd quarter while sitting on an indoor trainer, viewing the Vuelta coverage. When I came back that quarter was over and the 4th limped to the finish.
Rodgers mini-hail Mary to the end zone was a gift. He threw it up and his tigh-end managed to wrestle it away. Our experience with Graham in Seattle would suggest GB preserve that highlight. There may be few to follow.

I was one of the people who thought Trubisky might have a breakout season, but he looked like a rookie last night, really folding in the clutch. And no one expected the Packers defense to be superb.

The talk about the Packers offense being a work in progress and it taking Rodgers time to pull them together didn't come to be. They didn't move the ball well, Rodgers was sacked too many times, but they held it together, had one excellent drive, and did what it took to win, on the road.

Reactions: movingtarget
I was one of the people who thought Trubisky might have a breakout season, but he looked like a rookie last night, really folding in the clutch. And no one expected the Packers defense to be superb.

The talk about the Packers offense being a work in progress and it taking Rodgers time to pull them together didn't come to be. They didn't move the ball well, Rodgers was sacked too many times, but they held it together, had one excellent drive, and did what it took to win, on the road.
GB's defense was far from superb...Alpe, you and I could have played D against the CHI O.

I was joking..........or thought I was..........
Sorry, I thought you were implying I meant his helmet was the issue( which funny enough could be why he got annihilated because it doesn't meet safety requirements).

On the game the Packers got away with one. See if the Bears can return the favor in GB. I like defensive games but that was a struggle watching. The hype was not lived up to and I started falling asleep after my long day. Hopefully Sunday goes good and I can actually watch the night game.

Reactions: movingtarget
First, rumors flew that Raiders AB would get a 1 game suspension. Then yesterday it was reported by contact with Gruden that AB would NOT be suspended. But that report did not say what the Raiders really intended to do, and so it was assumed by reporters, and reported, that AB would play in the Raiders first regular season game. As result, I was thinking "how can the Raiders allow AB to get away with his antics unpunished, causing more problems for them to deal with down the road?" I mean, if I threatened to hit my boss (in AB's case, GM Mike Mayock) in the face I'd be fired. Well, the Raiders did one better than just a one-game suspension. The Raiders have released AB. Here is why, including dollar figures related to money from the Raiders that AB will lose. [https://bleacherreport.com/articles...d-by-raiders-after-mike-mayock-incident-drama]
Any bets AB will now lose his recent helmet endorsement? LOL

GB's defense was far from superb...Alpe, you and I could have played D against the CHI O.
Only if we all played while riding bikes. :cool:

As a Raider fan, I say good riddance to AB. I don't care how talented the guy was when he actually plays like he's supposed to. As soon as training camp started the guy has been nothing but toxic, a head case and distraction. The team isn't going to be that good anyway, and are in a rebuilding state of sorts with a mix of vets, rookies and younger guys new to the team. Brown's presence and antics were only going to make that worse in the long run.

Now come the lawsuits, though my understanding is that it will be hard to sue the team, as they followed every rule to cut the guy. I'm curious what team really wants to take the guy on, deal with him, what they'd pay him, and then just how well he'll actually play.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
Spot on re:AB. As for what team might want to take him on, if I'm a GM for any other team I'd have to reminder myself the Raiders are the 2nd team to cut him in less than a year. So, signing him would require accepting nebulous dread about what the GM/team would be having to deal with on a daily basis, like a powder keg, but in AB's case it would be more like pure liquid nitroglycerine.

Thoughts on some games tomorrow, only looking at a few:

LAR@CAR - I'm curious if the Rams are still as good as last year, and if the Panters and Cam are able to return to the team they had a few years ago, they haven't really lost that much, on paper.
WAS@PHI - Curious how good/bad Keenum plays. He's overachieved everywhere.
BUF@NHJ - Both of these teams show promise to be good in a few years, let's see who shows more now. Recall last year both Darnold and Allen were top QB prospects.
ATL@MIN - Either of these teams could go 12-4, or 8-8. I like Atlanta overall, into December.
KC@JAX - Jacksonville got Foles, but they have so few tools on offense, D could be superb, again. Regarding KC, see LAR above.
TEN@CLE - Lots of hype around the Browns. but Ten is solid, and could surprise. A loss here could hurt the Browns psyche for the whole season, really.
PIT@NE - I think Pitt may still win the AFC North, but I don't see them winning this game. The Patriots could lose, and I'll still take them to win the SB. They are too deep, too experienced, too balanced, too good in all sides of the ball, too well coached, etc.

HOU@NO - Both of these teams could go deep into the playoffs, this could be a really good game.
DEN@OAK - Neither of these teams will make the playoffs...

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS