• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 399 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great win for the Saints, though they perhaps should have won a by a little more. The Texans did look good, especially on offense, and I still think both of these teams will be serious contenders late into the season.

Raiders sure didn't need AB. In fact, it was their running game, and the RB's in particular that played very well. OL did it's job as did Carr with neither Miller or Chubb getting into the backfield often at all. Considering how many sloppy games, or bad plays that killed drives last year, this Raider team was surprisingly consistent and disciplined.

Boy, was ESPN trying to hype up Joe Flacco or what? All the comments on he was Elway's man, the SB MVP mentioned a few times...they were talking like 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 didn't even exist. Not that Flacco played bad, he didn't, but he was as average as the entire Bronco team, against a team predicted to compete for the cellar. And Hamilton's drop was actually thrown behind him, and arguably with too much zip.
Don't you remember that Flacco is supposed to lead us to the promised? Lol. Elway is looking at this as PM 2.0. Although the season is very young, the way Jackson played against Miami (and I know...it's only "Miami") so far the advantage goes to Baltimore. Bottom line: Baltimore is 1-0 and the Broncos couldn't get the job done against a lousy Raider team. And to add insult to injury, Ja'Wuan James (4 yr/51 mil) needs knee injury now and is out indefinitely (possibly IR). I wonder if Flacco will even make it through the season - he looks like too much of an injury risk.

And when is Big Ben going to finally call it a career?

Don't you remember that Flacco is supposed to lead us to the promised? Lol. Elway is looking at this as PM 2.0. Although the season is very young, the way Jackson played against Miami (and I know...it's only "Miami") so far the advantage goes to Baltimore. Bottom line: Baltimore is 1-0 and the Broncos couldn't get the job done against a lousy Raider team. And to add insult to injury, Ja'Wuan James (4 yr/51 mil) needs knee injury now and is out indefinitely (possibly IR). I wonder if Flacco will even make it through the season - he looks like too much of an injury risk.

And when is Big Ben going to finally call it a career?

Ben can't be far off retirement. Same with Eli. The law of averages SHOULD mean that Denver must hit QB gold soon..............

Right, I'm going to actually pay attention this year and try and follow the games. Always had a soft spot for the Saints and I have connections to Boston but I just can't bring myself to cheer for the Pats (It'd be like all the exchange students I met in the 90-00's who were Man Utd fans...). Other option is the Bears.

Gotta say I was worried that teams may take time to shed the rust after that Bears Packers sleeper. Watching Red zone was exhilarating..old kickers and new kickers under extreme pressure and lots of great offense throughout the league..really enjoyed the New Orleans result

and AB is simple..it would look like he put it out there w the Pats, cause if Kraft and company asked " is there anything else we need to know..no surprises!! "And a pending rape charge was something he forgot to disclose..have to think he be in the dumpster..then again maybe he and Kraft bonded over...

Gotta say I was worried that teams may take time to shed the rust after that Bears Packers sleeper. Watching Red zone was exhilarating..old kickers and new kickers under extreme pressure and lots of great offense throughout the league..really enjoyed the New Orleans result

and AB is simple..it would look like he put it out there w the Pats, cause if Kraft and company asked " is there anything else we need to know..no surprises!! "And a pending rape charge was something he forgot to disclose..have to think he be in the dumpster..then again maybe he and Kraft bonded over...
Red Zone must make it look better than it was. Granted I didn't watch every game, but I saw sloppy football most of the day. I really like that SEA won, but it wasn't a very good game to watch.

Good to see Carr back in form.

As for AB, isn't it odd sometimes how when someone can't stay out of the headlines everything converges. Now an alleged incident has come back to haunt him. Well three alleged incidents including rape. At the moment it's a civil case only but that could change of course. This could be a career breaker.............Patriots thought they were being smart but sometimes caution is also a good option.
Looks like the NFL will do what they always do....stall. Now they will meet with AB's alleged victim next week. After he plays this weekend. If he plays well and then is prosecuted it will look worse than Ray Rice for the NFL.

Let's get some things straight.

First off there is no pending rape charge against AB. The trainer never told authorities. Second, it is in the Federal court as a civil lawauit so she can get more money. Third, she waited until he got money from the patriots but probably would have done the same if he played the first game for the raiders and got his money. Fourth, her whole statement of events doesn't make sense and the text she provided doesn't incriminate AB. Fifth, he has evidence she is trying to extort him because he didn't want to invest $1.6 million into her business.

The courts will figure it out but it's too early to judge who is right. I personally think she is full of it. The NFL will probably suspend him, which I think is dumb if the players are proven innocent. They should let them play and if found guilty suspend them for the amount of games they played plus the usual amount given and fine them. This is a innocent until proven quilty country and they shouldn't be punished until proven quilty. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything.

Tonights game Panthers should win but I probably won't watch.

First off there is no pending rape charge against AB. The trainer never told authorities. Second, it is in the Federal court as a civil lawauit so she can get more money. Third, she waited until he got money from the patriots but probably would have done the same if he played the first game for the raiders and got his money. Fourth, her whole statement of events doesn't make sense and the text she provided doesn't incriminate AB. Fifth, he has evidence she is trying to extort him because he didn't want to invest $1.6 million into her business.

The courts will figure it out but it's too early to judge who is right. I personally think she is full of it. The NFL will probably suspend him, which I think is dumb if the players are proven innocent. They should let them play and if found guilty suspend them for the amount of games they played plus the usual amount given and fine them. This is a innocent until proven quilty country and they shouldn't be punished until proven quilty. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything.

You seem to know a lot about the case which, hopefully the NFL has also been appraised. I used the word "alleged" due to the timing and "she said" components. As for a suspension; your option seems fairest unless AB seriously has a problem. That the NFL is waiting to meet the trainer isn't going to help their PR. Is the delay to meet coming from the NFL or the trainer? It's hard to trust the abbreviated gossip reporting that passes for sports coverage.

You seem to know a lot about the case which, hopefully the NFL has also been appraised. I used the word "alleged" due to the timing and "she said" components. As for a suspension; your option seems fairest unless AB seriously has a problem. That the NFL is waiting to meet the trainer isn't going to help their PR. Is the delay to meet coming from the NFL or the trainer? It's hard to trust the abbreviated gossip reporting that passes for sports coverage.

It was a general reply since multiple people were acting as if he was quilty already.
I read about it all Tuesday and Wednesday to make an opinion. I think so on it, that way the team isn't affected unless it is true. Then if they are guilty the NFL can show how strict they are. NFL is meeting her next week because she said she is having a wedding this week.

I agree RE: innocent until proven guilty.

shadow, are those actual facts (ie: not from twitter or other)?

I'm at work so can't go too much into the research for supplying everything right now but will.

The first statement, from ESPN the authorities in Florida stated they have no record of any allegation against AB and today there is an article today stating no investigation was started. Though one came out that the authorities are going to look into the allegation and see how the lawsuit goes.
Second statement it is in multiple articles that it is in Federal Civil court. Federal court you can ask for more money then Justice court. She asked for the minimum of $75k but with punitive damages and a jury she can get a lot more. The amount you ask for in court is just a base line and there is a sentence that asks foran amount the courts deem fit. I got $10k for defamation and intentional Infliction of emotional distress in district court in Nevada. Her allegations should warrant more. Third statement is an assumption but it looks like she has had the lawyer ready to go so makes sense she was waiting until he got money. Fourth you just have to read the 15 page complaint but it doesn't make sense on someone who says they were abused. Fifth, his agent and attorney have stated she tried getting money from him and the text message the therapist supplied in her complaint points to that, by AB stating her and her mother tried extorting him in the text. I would assume they have proof to back it up.

Yeah the text message found him wound up. He has enough on his plate without this and the Patriots obviously won't put up with his usual antics. From what I heard he has all sorts of conditions built into his contract. This could work for the Patriots or blow up in their faces. At this stage I wouldn't be surprised with either scenario..................

Reactions: SHAD0W93

If this goes against AB this post isn't going to age well...

Right now, absolutely. No chance of him regaining the form of a few years ago, his body has taken too many knocks.

An inconsistent QB, no help from the OL and poor play calling, it’s going to be a long season for us Panthers fans.
Threw at less than 50% with some terrible passes in there and was clearly afraid of taking a hit, loads of short yardage that he should have been picking up in his feet. Could be a very long season.

Threw at less than 50% with some terrible passes in there and was clearly afraid of taking a hit, loads of short yardage that he should have been picking up in his feet. Could be a very long season.

Agreed, the problem is he gets hit far too many times, the Panthers OL is average at best and still hasn’t properly been addressed for a while.

Not sure why he hasn’t run the ball more in the first 2 games, without that part of his game he’s going to struggle.

Agreed, the problem is he gets hit far too many times, the Panthers OL is average at best and still hasn’t properly been addressed for a while.

Not sure why he hasn’t run the ball more in the first 2 games, without that part of his game he’s going to struggle.
Guessing that after the surgery they protected him through training camp and he doesn't know what's going to happen the first time he gets properly hit by an LB/free CB. Maybe he takes one, gets up fine and gets his head back into it. It's a weapon the Panthers really need to stall the DL and create some room.

Shadow I respect your opinion but my view is if he did or didn't tell the Pats about pending proceedings. AB would be obligated to disclose if he had a pending DUI case at whatever stage. If Antonio Brown tries to take a hot air balloon to work while employed w New England he will be fired. If Brown doesn't wear the helmet provided by the team,he will be canned. If he paints the helmet or refuses to wear it while playing or practicing, again he will be dismissed. If Antonio decides to film meetings between NE players and staff and post them online..no more job.If Brown gets in a bad mood and decides to post a rant or 10 about Tom Brady,any coach or front office personnel. He is done. And if he threatens to beat anybody up in the organization, he won't work there.
Other than that it's smooth sailing for AB

I usually sympathize with the woman in these cases, and there are certainly reasons to do so here. Brown sounds like the kind of me-and-my-needs-first guy who could do this. The emails that have been published, admitting he masturbated in her presence, and calling her a b!tch and a hoe, paint a picture of a real a$$hole. He also in effect brags about screwing her, so it seems that virtually everything she has accused him of doing is true.

But the question is whether the relationship was consensual, as Brown claims, and there are some things in her story that Brown’s lawyers will no doubt use against her.
  1. The first two incidents happened in 2017, after which she stopped working with him. Despite those incidents, she changed her mind and agreed to keep working with him. This was after some of those emails making degrading insults. The best possible take on this is that she had the same attitude the NFL does. Money is more important than character.
  2. The second incident happened when she was watching a church service online in Brown’s home. In fact, she was staying at his home, not in a hotel. That sounds consistent with Brown’s contention that they had a personal relationship as well as a professional one. (She said she thought they had a brother-sister relationship, which seems naive, given that even before they began working together, they were in communication, and Brown asked for a naked photo of her). So she not only gave the guy a pass on the first incident of sexual harassment—when he approached her naked and with an erection—but couldn’t even maintain her professional distance.
  3. The third incident occurred after they went out together—more evidence of a personal relationship. He drove her back to his home, where, instead of getting into her car and going to her hotel—when they reconnected, that was one of her terms—she went inside to use a bathroom. After the rape, she returned the next day to get her belongings. After such a traumatic experience, why wouldn’t she bring her fiancé or someone else she trusted, instead of going there alone? Brown also claims, but she AFAIK hasn’t commented on this, that she returned to his home again ten days after the alleged rape.
  4. She said, as women usually do in this situation, that it was difficult for her to get the courage to speak out. But the me too movement began in 2017, right when the first incidents reportedly happened. Why did it take her two years, with all the women who were coming forward at that time?
  5. If it was difficult to come forward, why would she wait till Brown was plastered all over the news, and any rape charges would get far more publicity? If she had made these charges as recently as a few months ago, before Brown was traded to the Raiders, let alone last year, before his poor relationships with the Steelers emerged, they would have generated far less attention. Instead, she comes forward at the worst possible time if she wanted to avoid publicity. To be fair, it’s been reported she became engaged less than two weeks after the alleged rape, and it took her a long time to tell her fiancé. But still, it’s been almost a year and a half.
My best half-a$$ guess is that she wanted a personal relationship with him, but resisted his sexual advances for (justifiable) fear of just being used and tossed aside (they met at some college Christian group, and my impression of her is that she would refuse to have sex with him without a long-term commitment). If she also asked for money for her business, as Brown alleges, that obviously is also very damning. Still, after saying all this, it sounds like rape by the current definition probably did occur. Her case would be much better if she filed a criminal rather than civil suit. She could do both, of course, but if she really was raped, plus the harassment that Brown basically admits, she should have filed criminal charges first.

The absence of criminal charges also apparently is why the NFL will not put Brown on the exempt list, which would prevent him from playing for the time being. He's eligible to play this Sunday, not that NE needs him.

Last edited:
I'll preface that I'm a Patriots fan but not of AB. His antics were crazy either intentional or not with the Raiders. On things like this, I like the innocent until proven guilty approach and if they are guilty them being punished as they should. That way no one is unfairly judged before, but after they can be. You never know when something like this happens to you and if you're innocent and no one believes you. You can think he or whoever is quilty but you still need an open mind and it is alleged as of now. Not he did rape her.

Article from his stepdad stating he was a problem child and abusive towards women. https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...fl-receiver-is-very-abusive-toward-women/amp/

At King Boonen: true and if doesn't age well that's salt in my face and I thought wrong and I'll admit it. That's what it looks like to me now is it was personal relationship and she tried using him for money. When that didn't work, she came up with this.

At Unchained: I agree, he should have told the Patriots or any team interested in signing him that he was aware of him possibly being sued for these allegations. It looks like they didn't know based off articles but privately who knows. Since if they don't know that blows up in their face.

At Merckx Index: good post and a lot more indepth, I'm not that articulate. For stuff like this I like waiting and seeing how it plays out with evidence. If she is right absolutely I will support her and AB should be punished but if AB is right than he should be compensated from her. Like I said, anyone can accuse anyone of anything and with crimes like this usually people have the guilty until proven innocent mentally. But that also probably comes from experience since I was falsely accused by a close friend for money on a different allegation. Yes the email had that but also brought up that they tried getting money out of him.

Your sections are pretty much spot on and they are from a he said, she said standpoint for how it actually happened. I agree with everything, the only things I have seen differently is:

1. I could have sworn it was one in 2017 and two in 2018 though. With the 2017 leading to her not talking to him.

3. Somewhere I read that she ran into him at the club/bar and hit him up being friendly and wanted to go to back to his place. I believe in her complaint she said she wanted food and to pee (which is crazy to me if the person sexually assaulted you twice). Of course her story would be the opposite of him hitting her up. Then that she came back during at like 4am to get her stuff.

4. I don't know but she had to have had the civil lawsuit in the works for awhile. It isn't instant for a lawyer to prepare all of that.

5. She could have been waiting for him to paint himself badly, which worked. Plus as I said, she hit him with it the day after he signed with the Patriots. I don't recall the details but didn't he receive the money right away when he signed. I think she still would have sued him Tuesday if he played for the Raiders on Monday and then got paid.

She should have told the authorities first, and anything they find would help her in civil lawsuit. As it stands, there can still be a criminal lawsuit depending on how this one plays out. I don't think she ever wanted a personal relationship, just used that in order to get money from Brown.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS