• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 408 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The lions didn't do themselves any good with all the field goals but the defense did enough twice on both the hands to the face to stop the packers and give their offense a chance. The helmet to helmet was ticky tacky on a call by the letter of the rules but the defender was clearly going for the ball the whole way.

Chiefs doing good so far. Broncos have had some bad choices, case in point the fake punt play. Chiefs pulled an even worse play on 4th and short in field goal range. While they got the first like down they end up with a field goal and Mahomes injuring his leg more and Moore in so far at QB. I'm down for going for it but bad play call with an already injured quarterback and your franchise.

Good game overall for the Chiefs while Broncos had many glaring issues. The offense couldn't move the ball, protect Flacco, and Flacco played bad. Thought it would have been closer because of divisional, short week, the defense, and they're at home. Hoping Mahomes recovers as soon as he can.
It was about the hands to the face on Flowers midway through the 4th, when he sacked Rodgers on 4th down. That was the call that changed the game.

Sometimes you see plays in the 4th quarter were they bring up the stats and its like - if the offense gets the play here the team has a 70% chance to win, but if the defense gets it their team has a 60% chance.

That was one of those plays. They sacked Rodgers. GB were 2 scores down, 4th and 15 in their own territory and Detroit was gonna wind the clock down and worst case punt it back to the Pack with 5 left. The refs call it correctly, Det has a 80% chance to win imo. Give Rodgers the free 15 yards and its 5050.

The refs called facemask on Flowers. Replay immediately shows no face mask. But no challenge allowed. 15 yards penalty, automatic first down, GB score 2 plays later.

The catch fumble was also a catch imo. Can't believe they overturned that (when the Det receiver caught it, got the 1st down and fumbled out of bounds). I wonder if the ball didn't go out of bounds and GB recovered, if it would have been overturned then.

Especially with Patrick's bad ankle. Why put your QB with the heavily taped up ankle in position as ball carrier to injure it worse? Turns out the ankle did not take the punishment, but maybe he favored it a bit subjecting the knee to injury.

Nice interview of Walter Jones (retired LT) on Cowherd. Especially:
  1. at 2:50 mark, how the lack of offseason hitting for OL translates to early regular season OL play.
  2. at 4:05 mark, what it is like blocking for a guy like Mahomes or Wilson (or any mobile, scrambling QB).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCK3XaB8bms&feature=youtu.be

Especially with Patrick's bad ankle. Why put your QB with the heavily taped up ankle in position as ball carrier to injure it worse? Turns out the ankle did not take the punishment, but maybe he favored it a bit subjecting the knee to injury.
And on a Thursday game, which is a short rest week. How many times have we seen players hurt on Thursday night games?

Adam Shefter reporting that Mahomes will miss about 3 weeks with a dislocated patella.

Trade deadline coming up. This isn't like MLB or even the NBA where one key player can change a team, and teams make big deals to roll the dice for this one season. But there are some key names being floated. Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Trent Williams, Josh Norman. I wouldn't be shocked to see AJ Green end up in New England, some how, some way.

One outside name I've heard mentioned being traded is Cam Newton. That would sent shock waves across Carolina. But I see reasons on sides for not only keeping Cam, but starting him when he's healthy. First is that he was an MVP a couple years ago. Next is that some of the teams Allen has beat had rotten pass defenses, and it's very likely a healthy Cam would have run up equally impressive numbers. But there's also a reason for moving Cam. He's aging, his body is starting to look more like a running back's body. He's also moderately expensive, at $16m per year, with next year at $19m. So, if they don't see Cam leading them into the playoffs and winning seasons in 2020 and beyond, now would be as good of time as any to move him, lest they just lose him after 2020 when he becomes an UFA and they get nothing in return. One team mentioned for trying to grab Newton is Denver, after yet another lackluster performance (how many seasons in a row now?) by Flacco.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
It was about the hands to the face on Flowers midway through the 4th, when he sacked Rodgers on 4th down. That was the call that changed the game.

Sometimes you see plays in the 4th quarter were they bring up the stats and its like - if the offense gets the play here the team has a 70% chance to win, but if the defense gets it their team has a 60% chance.

That was one of those plays. They sacked Rodgers. GB were 2 scores down, 4th and 15 in their own territory and Detroit was gonna wind the clock down and worst case punt it back to the Pack with 5 left. The refs call it correctly, Det has a 80% chance to win imo. Give Rodgers the free 15 yards and its 5050.

The refs called facemask on Flowers. Replay immediately shows no face mask. But no challenge allowed. 15 yards penalty, automatic first down, GB score 2 plays later.

The catch fumble was also a catch imo. Can't believe they overturned that (when the Det receiver caught it, got the 1st down and fumbled out of bounds). I wonder if the ball didn't go out of bounds and GB recovered, if it would have been overturned then.

That's what I was talking about. The first one they got a stop and the Packers had to put with around 9 minutes left in the fourth which could have gave Lions a chance to score again. Instead hands to face, which according to the NFL was the right call. The second one with a minute and half left caused the Lions no chance to try and score ending the game. This one the NFL said they screwed up on and shouldn't have been called.

On that catch the announcers brought someone on (I believe Mike Pereira) about the call and what they thought. All parties thought it was a catch but when it was ruled incomplete the party brought on stated the NFL rule for a catch is you need 3 steps to count as a catch and why it was overturned because he lost the ball before his third foot was down. I was surprised and he repeated it again. I looked up the rules and didn't see anything that stated that so I don't know but I thought it was a catch and fumble.

Brady sneaks 2-3 times per game and he never got injured while sneaking afaik. Just unfortunate.

Yes but Brady also doesn't sneak when he is injured. You will have all kinds of bodies fall on you while sneaking. Around 3 weeks he will be out so we'll see if the offense and defense can still produce. They could potentially lose to GB and MIN without Mahomes.

Reactions: The Hitch
And on a Thursday game, which is a short rest week. How many times have we seen players hurt on Thursday night games?

Adam Shefter reporting that Mahomes will miss about 3 weeks with a dislocated patella.

Trade deadline coming up. This isn't like MLB or even the NBA where one key player can change a team, and teams make big deals to roll the dice for this one season. But there are some key names being floated. Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, Trent Williams, Josh Norman. I wouldn't be shocked to see AJ Green end up in New England, some how, some way.

One outside name I've heard mentioned being traded is Cam Newton. That would sent shock waves across Carolina. But I see reasons on sides for not only keeping Cam, but starting him when he's healthy. First is that he was an MVP a couple years ago. Next is that some of the teams Allen has beat had rotten pass defenses, and it's very likely a healthy Cam would have run up equally impressive numbers. But there's also a reason for moving Cam. He's aging, his body is starting to look more like a running back's body. He's also moderately expensive, at $16m per year, with next year at $19m. So, if they don't see Cam leading them into the playoffs and winning seasons in 2020 and beyond, now would be as good of time as any to move him, lest they just lose him after 2020 when he becomes an UFA and they get nothing in return. One team mentioned for trying to grab Newton is Denver, after yet another lackluster performance (how many seasons in a row now?) by Flacco.

I'd agree that Flacco needs to move along, although Cam is not as mobile as he once was. He's also his own worst enemy when he gets flustered and frustrated.
Denver's running out of options much like Carolina.

Wow. Denver trading for Cam would be another colossal Elway mistake. What would they do with Flacco? Not that Denver would care. More importantly, how would Cam really help Denver this season? At their rate, Denver looks to be headed for an early draft position. They should just draft one. Wait! Oops, Elway's doing the picking.

Wow. Denver trading for Cam would be another colossal Elway mistake. What would they do with Flacco? Not that Denver would care. More importantly, how would Cam really help Denver this season? At their rate, Denver looks to be headed for an early draft position. They should just draft one. Wait! Oops, Elway's doing the picking.

Don't understand the Cam talk at all. At the moment he is an injury prone QB nowhere near his peak. Still I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers moved him out for the same reasons but I don't understand Denver wanting him.

On another note Osweiler retired after seven seasons in the NFL. Had some absurd money thrown at him and never hit the heights some people expected him to but he should have retired with a nice bank balance all the same.

Don't understand the Cam talk at all. At the moment he is an injury prone QB nowhere near his peak. Still I wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers moved him out for the same reasons but I don't understand Denver wanting him.

On another note Osweiler retired after seven seasons in the NFL. Had some absurd money thrown at him and never hit the heights some people expected him to but he should have retired with a nice bank balance all the same.
I can certainly understand Carolina "kicking the tires" on moving Cam, hoping to get something of value in return.

On Osweiller, how's $37M guaranteed from Texans sound? Maybe some of that got dumped to the Browns? But I'd be cool with just 1% of that.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and Nomad
I can certainly understand Carolina "kicking the tires" on moving Cam, hoping to get something of value in return.

On Osweiller, how's $37M guaranteed from Texans sound? Maybe some of that got dumped to the Browns? But I'd be cool with just 1% of that.

And he got some money from Dolphins and finessed the Broncos to sign him after he left in bad terms. Only one better is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I agree - trading for Newton makes absolutely no sense when Elway has Drew Lock as "supposedly" the franchise QB (I know...we've heard this before when he said the same thing about Lynch. Lol.) However, the latest from Dove Valley is Lock's thumb injury is improved to the point where he will start practicing with the team this week. He would become eligible to come off the IR next week and could be activated by week #11.

When Elway signed Flacco he said he was still in his prime and that he was "the guy" to get the Broncos competitive again. He emphasized it wasn't a rebuilding season but a "win now" objective. So, the question was asked why did he draft Lock in the very early 2nd round? He said he wanted a franchise QB for the future but didn't want to rush him too soon and would prefer to let him learn under Flacco. I think the plan at face value was to follow the KC-Mahomes/Smith blueprint where Mahomes sat his rookie season and learned under Smith (though Mahomes started the last game of the season when KC had the division already locked up).

Lock was having an impressive preseason until he injured the thumb and was placed on IR. There was some chatter that Lock might just stay on IR for the entire season (somewhat like a redshirt season). But that was assuming the Broncos would be competitive with Flacco - I don't think Elway could envision a nightmare like this with a SB winning QB at the helm that he said was "the guy" and was suppose to make this team competitive. And they are right now about as competitive as the Dolphins. I have no doubt that if Lock wasn't injured a QB change would have been made at halftime of the game.

In fact, this organization has gone from the "Penthouse" to the "Outhouse" like no other team that I've seen in recent memory. In the Manning era which ran four seasons from 2012-2015, the Broncos were 55-17 with all four double-digit winning seasons and playoff appearances, 2 AFC Championships and SB 50 win - remarkable.

Post-Manning the team is 20-28, with one winning season (9-7/2016), no playoffs and 3 different head coaches - pathetic.

I no longer wear any of my Bronco garb out in public in fear of being laughed. Lol.

I agree - trading for Newton makes absolutely no sense when Elway has Drew Lock as "supposedly" the franchise QB (I know...we've heard this before when he said the same thing about Lynch. Lol.) However, the latest from Dove Valley is Lock's thumb injury is improved to the point where he will start practicing with the team this week. He would become eligible to come off the IR next week and could be activated by week #11.

When Elway signed Flacco he said he was still in his prime and that he was "the guy" to get the Broncos competitive again. He emphasized it wasn't a rebuilding season but a "win now" objective. So, the question was asked why did he draft Lock in the very early 2nd round? He said he wanted a franchise QB for the future but didn't want to rush him too soon and would prefer to let him learn under Flacco. I think the plan at face value was to follow the KC-Mahomes/Smith blueprint where Mahomes sat his rookie season and learned under Smith (though Mahomes started the last game of the season when KC had the division already locked up).

Lock was having an impressive preseason until he injured the thumb and was placed on IR. There was some chatter that Lock might just stay on IR for the entire season (somewhat like a redshirt season). But that was assuming the Broncos would be competitive with Flacco - I don't think Elway could envision a nightmare like this with a SB winning QB at the helm that he said was "the guy" and was suppose to make this team competitive. And they are right now about as competitive as the Dolphins. I have no doubt that if Lock wasn't injured a QB change would have been made at halftime of the game.

In fact, this organization has gone from the "Penthouse" to the "Outhouse" like no other team that I've seen in recent memory. In the Manning era which ran four seasons from 2012-2015, the Broncos were 55-17 with all four double-digit winning seasons and playoff appearances, 2 AFC Championships and SB 50 win - remarkable.

Post-Manning the team is 20-28, with one winning season (9-7/2016), no playoffs and 3 different head coaches - pathetic.

I no longer wear any of my Bronco garb out in public in fear of being laughed. Lol.

I thought Denver would have done better against the Chiefs after showing some improvement.

Mahomes is lucky that it's the "best possible case" for his injury. However, aside from the traditional 2 Thanksgiving Day games, I'm still not convinced the NFL should be playing on Thursday.
Mahomes is lucky that it's the "best possible case" for his injury. However, aside from the traditional 2 Thanksgiving Day games, I'm still not convinced the NFL should be playing on Thursday.
Mahomes definitely dodged a bullet. Interestingly, Stafford dislocated his patella in his rookie season back in 09 missing only 2 games:

On TNF: I thought the players union was against it? The ratings must be too good for the NFL to consider ending it? (I guess FOX is making the big $$$ off of TNF?).

Reactions: Koronin
Thoughts on just a few games:

MIN@DET - Division games are always a stir, and this should be good.
OAK@GB - Raider hype falls after they lose to a superior team.
LAR
@ATL - Both teams struggling, Atlanta an enigma how bad they are.
HOU@IND - Both teams are pretty good. Went with Colts at home.
NO@CHI - Now let's see how well Bridgewater can play.
BAL@SEA - While Jackson will make plays, I don't see Baltimore stopping Wilson and Seattle, especially as the game goes on.
PHI@DAL - Both teams struggling, but still good on paper.

Niners, Bills, Pats should all win easily. Bills will go 5-1 with a win today.

Good wins for the Packers,Colts,Ravens and Saints. Bears defense overrated it seems. Not as good since Fangio left. Falcons heading in one direction. Bills and Niners got the job done. Niners aquaplaning to victory with their defense stepping up again. The field was very sloppy. Vikings looking much better in their last few games. Crazy end to the Titans game.

Last edited:
Thoughts on just a few games:

MIN@DET - Division games are always a stir, and this should be good.
OAK@GB - Raider hype falls after they lose to a superior team.
LAR@ATL - Both teams struggling, Atlanta an enigma how bad they are.
HOU@IND - Both teams are pretty good. Went with Colts at home.
NO@CHI - Now let's see how well Bridgewater can play.
BAL@SEA - While Jackson will make plays, I don't see Baltimore stopping Wilson and Seattle, especially as the game goes on.
PHI@DAL - Both teams struggling, but still good on paper.

Niners, Bills, Pats should all win easily. Bills will go 5-1 with a win today.
You can be the Opposite Man. Seahawks absolutely gave Jackson his best win. Baltimore's receivers played mediocre and their running game did it all in the 2nd half.

TRENDING THREADS