• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 411 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And that clipboard holding QB beat a very good Vikings team. I've got to admit I'm surprised by the performance of Moore (I think Alpe mentioned in one post that he thought he wasn't too bad of a QB?) Moore's exceeded expectations going 2-1 so far with just that one close loss to GB. Definitely no need to rush Mahomes back, though they go into their bye week.

And to my complete surprise another clipboard holding QB performed exceptionally well for his NFL debut beating Cleveland. I would have thought Brandon Allen would struggle and this would be an automatic "W" for Cleveland. But Allen managed the game very well and finished with some impressive stats for his debut (12-20, 193 yds, 2 TDs, no picks/no turnovers). And clearly Allen's athleticism running for 1st downs when no one is open and the pocket collapses is something the Broncos just didn't have with Flacco.

Cleveland's offense looks terrible as Mayfield continues to struggle. He can't find open receivers, holds to the ball too long, not picking up the blitzes, settling for FGs in the redzone and missed a wide open Beckem what could have been a potential game winner late in the 4th. This team is in a complete downward spiral. With all that talent on both sides of ball and a #1 OA pick at QB in his second year - they can't even beat a bad Broncos team starting a no-name QB who has never taken a snap before. Lol. Kitchens is gotta go...and now.

Allen looked pretty good. The Browns are terrible at the moment especially when they are near the line. If Chubb gets injured they will be even worse. Mayfield blew a probable TD when OBJ seemed to have broken free from the defense but Mayfield either didn't see him or thought it was too risky. Mayfield seems to have lost all confidence at the moment I didn't expect the Chargers to beat GB at all. Nice win by the Ravens as well. The Hawks had a tough one it seems.

I'm starting to conclude that the Browns biggest mistake was making Freddie Kitchens the HC. He was hired last season to be the running backs coach after being a position coach for a few years elsewhere, and promoted to OC when they fired Todd Haley. He seems to have now been promoted in a classic Peter Principle manner, to the level of his incompetence as the head coach. I'm guessing he just talked well enough, the players liked him enough, that other concerns, weaknesses, like strategy or discipline, were ignored. Either that or Dorsey figured if they hired Lincoln Riley, Matt Eberflus, or Jim Caldwell or maybe even kept Gregg Williams, that Kitchens would have walked. The Browns also seem to just lack depth on both lines. Their trench play is costing them games by inches.

Agree that Mayfield's biggest issue is that he can't seem to pull the trigger, or he expects to see 3rd, 4th options become open, like they were in college.

Great win for KC and Matt Moore. I actually thought Mahomes would suit up and play. But Moore has always been a very good backup QB, with a lot of poise, and experience. Could he lead them to the SB? Probably not. But he's shown he not only won't lose games, he can win them.

New England losing was perhaps the best thing for them. Aaron Rodgers acknowledged that for GB they needed a slice of humble pie, and the Packers do need some work, but remain an excellent team. Another slice of humble pie goes to New England. They still very well could win the SB, and I'm sticking with them to do so. But this loss in a sense helps them.

Who's the 2nd best team in the AFC, by record? Two teams, Baltimore and...Buffalo. Buffalo? Josh Allen is playing just well enough to win, but they look like a team that could finish 11-5, then lose the wild card game they host.

All home teams (except Jax) won yesterday. Minschew looked pretty bad in Jags loss, almost as bad as Sam Darnold did for the Jets. About a 180 degree turn from Sam's outstanding performance against the Cowboys a couple weeks ago. This means Cincy is in the drivers seat for the #1 draft pick, which would have to be Tua Tagovailoa I would think? Maybe Justin Herbert? Tua Reminds me a little of Russell Wilson. Ability to extend plays, big arm.

Speaking of Wilson, the magician again pulls out a win with some serious clutch plays! MVP! MVP! MVP!

Reactions: movingtarget
good call on the LAC over GB. NE / BAL still in the 2nd qtr, BAL with a 10 pt lead. TB nearly shocked SEA. SEA won in OT. TB was not what I'd call hot, but the outcome mighta been different had they been hot. As SEA fan, it was a disgusting/frustrating game to watch their defense consistently muck it up. SEA defense cannot stop S::t. SEA keeps playing in their base D all game long (do not use nickle or dime D), and keep getting beat in the intermediate passing game with sloppy, blown coverage zone pass D. Defensive players at times were just not on the same page. A royal communication breakdown. I question the SEA DC Ken Norton's calls on many a Tampa offensive play. I think Norton should be fired. Maybe not now, but after the season. While at it, maybe fire the K (Meyers) who missed two easy FGs and one PAT (7 points they coulda used to keep it out of OT). TB missed one FG too, so missed kicks amounted to a net 4-pt difference had all the kicks been made. Reminds me of Janikowski last season.
My wife wondered why I was swearing at the game. You are spot on with almost no defensive adjustments from the base secondary coverage. Athletically several Seahawks had incredible plays...because they had to. You could tell Meyers had the yips just from the expression on his face before he kicked. He was thinking way too much. Seahawks have their hands full.
As for NE: they got to see a super-mobile quarterback. Seattle gave them a head start but they TOOK the game from NE. Impressive.

good call on the LAC over GB. NE / BAL still in the 2nd qtr, BAL with a 10 pt lead. TB nearly shocked SEA. SEA won in OT. TB was not what I'd call hot, but the outcome mighta been different had they been hot. As SEA fan, it was a disgusting/frustrating game to watch their defense consistently muck it up. SEA defense cannot stop S::t. SEA keeps playing in their base D all game long (do not use nickle or dime D), and keep getting beat in the intermediate passing game with sloppy, blown coverage zone pass D. Defensive players at times were just not on the same page. A royal communication breakdown. I question the SEA DC Ken Norton's calls on many a Tampa offensive play. I think Norton should be fired. Maybe not now, but after the season. While at it, maybe fire the K (Meyers) who missed two easy FGs and one PAT (7 points they coulda used to keep it out of OT). TB missed one FG too, so missed kicks amounted to a net 4-pt difference had all the kicks been made. Reminds me of Janikowski last season.

Thanks for noticing re GB LAC.

I thought Chargers could play them close (despite LA being obviously home crowd for GB), but I was also shocked to see them basically shut out an offense run by arguably the best QB in history.
But its good, cos I like Lynn and a few wins should keep him there.

Re Seattle, untimately they passed the test, though I think the wins last two weeks against weak NFC South teams didn't feel convincing. A good team but hard to see them challenging in a stacked NFC if they played in the AFC East they would be 8-1 now. But only one team is lucky enough each year to play in the AFC East,

Re that team, I thought they would win as I was scared defense and ST would somehow

And thats exactly what happened 4 out of 5 times the ball was on the ground it went to the Pats
The commentators I have, even said -"the ball is always jumping to the Patriots". - Perfect summary of the last 20 years.

But thankfully even that wasn't nowhere near enough. At one stage I was hoping for a blowout.
And that clipboard holding QB beat a very good Vikings team. I've got to admit I'm surprised by the performance of Moore (I think Alpe mentioned in one post that he thought he wasn't too bad of a QB?) Moore's exceeded expectations going 2-1 so far with just that one close loss to GB. Definitely no need to rush Mahomes back, though they go into their bye week.

What particularly stands out for me everytime I watch them is Tyreek Hill. I wonder if there's been anyone before like him.
The guy is faster than Darryl Green . I know there's been fast great WR's before - like Moss. From what ive seen of Moss though he had top speed and run by defenders for long routs.

Tyreek Hill is smaller and has the craziest acceleration. He can run by defenders at ease when he wants, on long routes and Chiefs use this a lot.

But he also changes direction twice as fast as anyone else. Its like everyone else on the fielld is operating in slow motion. There was one play where the defender was so scared he would blow by him, and Tyreek just cut back and had 5 yards on the CB. Another one he cut inside, so fast, the qb is already throwing it into open field by the time the CB realized.
He is always open. Anywhere he chooses to cut, the defender is left behind.

He also catches jump balls. And the chiefs 2,3 and 4 receiving options are top class by themselves. I do wonder again, seeing Moore do perfectly well with them and arguably better than Mahomes over the last month, how much Mahomes was the product of an historically great WR Core.

Mahomes is an amazing talent but I've said before that he is benefited massively by his receiving core and how fast they are, plus throwing the ball deep is easier to complete then short. Especially if you're scrambling to find an open receiver. Even a top notch defender can not keep up with the offensive player leaving someone open. Not to take anything away from some of his throws but he is overrated by the media. The team would benefit if they were able to control the time clock more as able to with Smith. Mahomes talent with Smith's game management ability would be unstoppable with the offense they have.

Someone did an article that I think was spot on about the Patriots and that the only time the offense has looked good was in hurry up. We'll see if they start doing that more or change it up with their LT and WR being back from IR.

I hope Gordon does well in Seattle and good luck to the Niner's. Let's see how long their perfect season goes.

Change your mind, Hitch?

Last January:

Chargers are a joke. Wouldn't even have won in LA.

This was their chance at a run. They absolutely blew it. Hope they bomb next year so that another team in the AFC can have an easy division for once, and not just every year the Pats getting a free division while every other division has 2-3 contenders.

Now:

I thought Chargers could play them close (despite LA being obviously home crowd for GB), but I was also shocked to see them basically shut out an offense run by arguably the best QB in history.
But its good, cos I like Lynn and a few wins should keep him there.

Only two teams are in the top 10 in the NFL in four critical categories:

a) points scored/game
b) points allowed/game
c) yards gained/game
d) yards allowed/game

San Francisco
Dallas

There is only one other team that is in the top 10 in a) and b): NE. And one other team in the top 10 in c) and d): MIN.

throwing the ball deep is easier to complete then short.

Really? Funny, I've never seen any data backing that up. E.g., in 2018, Alex Smith led the NFL with 75.5% of his passes of 0-9 yards completed. Brees led in the 10-19 yard category, at 65.1%. Derek Carr led in 20 yards and longer at 52.3%.

Change your mind, Hitch?

Last January:

Now:

Only two teams are in the top 10 in the NFL in four critical categories:

a) points scored/game
b) points allowed/game
c) yards gained/game
d) yards allowed/game

San Francisco
Dallas

There is only one other team that is in the top 10 in a) and b): NE. And one other team in the top 10 in c) and d): MIN.

Really? Funny, I've never seen any data backing that up. E.g., in 2018, Alex Smith led the NFL with 75.5% of his passes of 0-9 yards completed. Brees led in the 10-19 yard category, at 65.1%. Derek Carr led in 20 yards and longer at 52.3%.

Haha.

I guess what happened in the three weeks after, made me forget about the chargers.

KC blew a HFA. After Mahomes had stat padded the MVP away from Brees all season. But the one game they needed to win, they choked. I have a bigger grudge in the AFC West now.

Mcvay didn't show up for the SB. One he shouldn't have even been in because we all know what happened in the NFC CC - which still leaves a bitter taste. (whats the point of investing interest if the sport if refs just pretend plays don't happen).
Can't say i dont take some pleasure in seeing the ball bounce the other way in close Rams games this year (Seattle, TB).

Still I don't support the Chargers, their coaching and players aren't 2-5 bad.

One can't ultimately not feel sorry for the Chargers. Every game they play is an away game, for 3 years now.
Who thought it was a good idea to move the Bolts to LA after the Rams had just arrived. And now the Raiders- one of the actually best supported teams are moving to LV.

Chargers should have moved there, if anywhere.

Yes, quarterbacks and analysts have spoken on it because the defense is not able to see where the quarterbacks eyes are looking compared to throwing it short and their backs are almost always to the quarterback. Compared to a short pass where everyone is much closer together and you can see who the quarterback is eyeing before they throw. Why do you think it's so hard for teams to dink and dunk up the field consistently with scoring points.

What you're focusing on is accuracy, which every quarterback has their moments on the spectrum of dropping dimes or duds and the receiver having to compensate.

I think Kitchens and Quinn might be the next coaches to be let go. Be interesting to see if the Chargers win last week is the beginning of a resurgence. Looking forward to the Hawks/Niners game. More questions should be answered about both teams. Browns don't have a difficult remaining schedule but at the moment they look awful. The Bears don't look much better.

Huge win for a young Raiders team.
Yes...indeed, but what a pathetic finish to that game for the Chargers offense. Raiders get the go ahead TD but miss the extra point with the Chargers taking over at their 25 with a buck 2 left and all 3 TOs and just needing a FG to win. Other than the 4th down holding call on the Raiders that gave the Chargers a first down they couldn't move the ball in eight snaps culminating with the River's pick on 4th down. All they needed was a lousy 45 or 50 yds to get their kicker a good shot at a FG and they couldn't even get to mid-field! Sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
Yes...indeed, but what a pathetic finish to that game for the Chargers offense. Raiders get the go ahead TD but miss the extra point with the Chargers taking over at their 25 with a buck 2 left and all 3 TOs and just needing a FG to win. Other than the 4th down holding call on the Raiders that gave the Chargers 5 yds and a first down they couldn't move the ball in eight snaps culminating with the River's pick on 4th down. All they needed was a lousy 45 or 50 yrs to get their kicker a good shot at a FG and they couldn't even get to mid-field! Sad state of affairs.

The Raiders kinda blew my mind by suddenly developing pressure with 4 rushers and harassed Rivers all night. Crosby was good and the previously invisible Clelin Ferrell finally showed up with 2 1/2 sacks. Some great defensive plays in the back end as well. The Raiders won that game rather than LA losing it.

Rivers has looked mediocre this year by his previous standards. Felt certain that the Chargers were going to win especially after what happened against Green Bay. Raiders have been a little underrated. Some nice match ups this week. Should be interesting.
I think Raiders were overhyped and are now catching up to realistic performances. They've had a huge share of chaos and moving to Las Vegas may derail what progress they are making now. Hopefully they continue to improve, though.

Reactions: movingtarget
My god rivers was awful. The safety Erik harris had 2 ints, one called back for a foul that had nothing to do with the play (very unlucky to not have 3) , and then missed a game winning interception a few plays before the actual game tying interception.
Rivers just kept throwing him the ball.

Thoughts on some games. I'm starting to take injuries into consideration.

BAL@CIN - This has all the makings of a "trap" game. Ravens on a roll, just beat NE, Jackson has a cold or the flu and missed practice. Bengals bad, but better than their record and playing a little better, division game at home. Only a fool would pick them though, right?
BUF@ CLE - Roster wise an even match, but the Bill have won close games, the Browns have not. Bills have no one on the injury report!
DET@CHI - Stafford is out. Lions have several other players hurt.
CAR@GB - After last week's loss, Packers bounce back at home with some guys getting healthy. Notably Adams and Bulaga.
NYG@NYJ - Jets are really banged up, seem lost.
ARI@TB - Both teams have been up/down, I'm going with the home team here.
KC@TEN - Mahomes full participation in practice. May be rusty, but KC is a better team overall, without question.
MIA@IND - Fins playing a little more alive, but Colts just far better overall, Brisett listed as doubtful, but I also heard he was out still. Either way, Colts still win.
LAR@PIT - Rams playing a little better of late, but Steelers really are, especially on D. I expect a tough game, and am going with the home team here. Conner out for Pitt.
MIN@DAL - Despite the recent loss, and Theilen out, I'll take the Vikings on the road here.

SEA@SF - Finally a great MNF matchup. The 49ers have been so consistent, but Wilson has been so clutch, so masterful. Figuring teams out as games go on, and winning, time and again. As I type this Staley, McGlinchey, Kittle, Juszczyk are all coming off injury and may or may not play. But the team played well without them, so I can't see them hurrying to bring them back full speed. If Niners get behind more than 8 in the 2nd half they may not be able to come back.

Browns finally get a win same with the Jets. Baltimore much too good. Bengals looking like they will wrap up the top draft pick with Miami and the Jets showing more fight in their games. As for the Kansas game without the benefit of another replay. I thought the kick blocker might have jumped the start. Either way not a result Kansas wanted. Packers and Rams currently in scrappy games while the Niners/Hawks game should be good.

Thoughts on some games. I'm starting to take injuries into consideration.

BAL@CIN - This has all the makings of a "trap" game. Ravens on a roll, just beat NE, Jackson has a cold or the flu and missed practice. Bengals bad, but better than their record and playing a little better, division game at home. Only a fool would pick them though, right?
BUF@ CLE - Roster wise an even match, but the Bill have won close games, the Browns have not. Bills have no one on the injury report!
DET@CHI - Stafford is out. Lions have several other players hurt.
CAR@GB - After last week's loss, Packers bounce back at home with some guys getting healthy. Notably Adams and Bulaga.
NYG@NYJ - Jets are really banged up, seem lost.
ARI@TB - Both teams have been up/down, I'm going with the home team here.
KC@TEN - Mahomes full participation in practice. May be rusty, but KC is a better team overall, without question.
MIA@IND - Fins playing a little more alive, but Colts just far better overall, Brisett listed as doubtful, but I also heard he was out still. Either way, Colts still win.
LAR@PIT - Rams playing a little better of late, but Steelers really are, especially on D. I expect a tough game, and am going with the home team here. Conner out for Pitt.
MIN@DAL - Despite the recent loss, and Theilen out, I'll take the Vikings on the road here.

SEA@SF - Finally a great MNF matchup. The 49ers have been so consistent, but Wilson has been so clutch, so masterful. Figuring teams out as games go on, and winning, time and again. As I type this Staley, McGlinchey, Kittle, Juszczyk are all coming off injury and may or may not play. But the team played well without them, so I can't see them hurrying to bring them back full speed. If Niners get behind more than 8 in the 2nd half they may not be able to come back.
After seeing some of your other picks go the wrong way I'm hopeful Seattle will get out of SF with that win. That will certainly make the difficult balance of the season less stressful now that GB, NO have lost and Pittsburgh is testing the Rams in the first half. Never planned to say Go Steelers.
PS.... Actually now that the Rams did lose....

Last edited:
Rams didn't need that loss. Gross understatement to say that the Saints result surprised me. Good win for the Steelers.
Rams are a better team than that but Pittsburgh, like Seattle demonstrated what happens when the running game is slowed down. They should recover with their talent. On the other hand; Pittsburgh's defense played that game. Their receivers were apparently afraid of clutching the ball much of the time and if it weren't for a few of JuJu preserving a couple of first downs it could have gone either way. Still, that gets them to another week.
Atlanta showed some serious life in Seattle and maybe NO had too much faith. 16 pts off a new kicker was the difference.

Been gone so long I didn't know what happened to the cafe.

KB again that is accuracy. Shorter passes the defender can see where the quarterback reads to and react faster and everything is also a lot closer
Chiefs pretty much run a med-deep passing offense.

I didn't really watch any games as I didn't have time but a lot of surprising winners. Tough loss for Chiefs but Mahomes played good, hopefully he can stay healthy. This is what Riveron said of the block.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/NFLOfficiating/status/1193680922626940928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-50073984449260771.ampproject.net%2F1911062056110%2Fframe.html

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Bill Belichik, head coach of the defending SB champion NE Patriots, announced today that from now on his star QB Tom Brady will throw only long passes, exceeding 20 yards in the air.

“I’ve been involved in coaching for decades,” Belichik explained, “yet somehow I never understood that longer passes are easier to complete. I finally see the light. So of course I’ve told Tom to throw them exclusively.”

When it was pointed out that reams of statistics—not to mention common sense—establish that the opposite is true, that shorter passes are easier to complete, Belichik replied, “You’re talking about accuracy, dimes and duds. I’m talking about the QB’s eyes, which are easier to read when he’s throwing short passes. If his eyes are easier to read, then regardless of what the statistics actually say, it has to be the case that longer passes are easier to complete.”

Pressed further, Belichik added, “If short passes are easier to complete, why don’t teams throw short passes exclusively? I mean, defenses never adjust according to what the offense is doing, so you should be able to throw short passes all day, and the defense would not change to take that into account, right? That’s why no one runs the ball every play, either, because you can tell from the QB’s eyes when he’s going to hand the ball off. Because of this, the chances of completing a a deep pass are actually better than gaining 2-3 yards on a running play. You can throw deep passes every play, because the defense can’t read the QB’s eyes and they’re easier to complete.”

“Then why don’t teams throw deep passes every play?” A reporter asked.

“Because they’re ignorant,” Bellichik replied. “They haven’t seen the light. But make no mistake, while we’re on the cutting edge, the rest of the NFL will catch up, eventually. Soon every team will be throwing deep on every play, because deep passes are easier to complete.”

Coming soon: NFL logic applied to the NBA! It’s easier to make full court passes to your teammates than just to dish the ball off to a nearby player, because the opposing players can’t see your eyes on those long passes. So the NBA teams of the future will keep one or two players at the far end of the court, where they’re more likely to complete their passes than if everyone were close to the basket.

Funny and well thought out. You should write books MI.

What do you signify as deep pass because when I'm thinking of what I'm speaking of is 10 yards from line of scrimmage, so I guess mid to long.

Or better example. There is more margin for error the further the ball goes compared to short passes which are based on timing.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS