• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 412 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
49ers could have played for the tie, and if they don't win the division, they may regret not running the ball when they had it with less than two minutes in OT. Ironically, SE basically played for a tie when they punted the ball right before that, when they had a 4th and 2 near mid field. I was surprised when they did that, and not thinking the 49ers would not try to run some time off the clock, figured SE was conceding they couldn't win the game when they punted. Sure, if they had gone for it and hadn't made it, they would have given the 49ers a great chance to win, but SE wouldn't really have gained as much as the 49ers by a tie.

The 49ers remaining schedule is brutal, with SE again, the Rams, the Packers and the Saints. However, they will get some key players back for those games. Kittle alone probably would have made the difference in this one. You can't come closer to winning a game and not winning it than they did in this one, so they shouldn't be too disappointed. SE has won several very close games, and luck like that may run out for them eventually.

49ers could have played for the tie, and if they don't win the division, they may regret not running the ball when they had it with less than two minutes in OT. Ironically, SE basically played for a tie when they punted the ball right before that, when they had a 4th and 2 near mid field. I was surprised when they did that, and not thinking the 49ers would not try to run some time off the clock, figured SE was conceding they couldn't win the game when they punted. Sure, if they had gone for it and hadn't made it, they would have given the 49ers a great chance to win, but SE wouldn't really have gained as much as the 49ers by a tie.

The 49ers remaining schedule is brutal, with SE again, the Rams, the Packers and the Saints. However, they will get some key players back for those games. Kittle alone probably would have made the difference in this one. You can't come closer to winning a game and not winning it than they did in this one, so they shouldn't be too disappointed. SE has won several very close games, and luck like that may run out for them eventually.

Yes Kittle out was bad enough but when Sanders went out of the game their offense went off. They have struggled with WRs for a few seasons now and Jimmy wasn't having a great day at QB. I think it was a game of big defensive plays and the offenses were not that good with plenty of errors and breakdowns. The young kicker who kicked well all game couldn't manage the match winner and Wilson had one too many opportunities to get his own team back into range. Game over. Seattle's defense was better than expected. Clowney was the best player on the field while the 49ers dfense kept them in it when it looked like Seattle was about to run away with it in the third quarter. Entertaining game, pretty typical of the Hawks, Niners games. 49ers injuries mounting up again which could be trouble with the remaining schedule. 49ers receivers had too many drops and their run game wasn't as good as usual.

I also think they should have gone for the tie. 3 consecutive passes weren't a good choice. But also, if Pettis had caught that one pass instead of dropping it, they would have gotten a 3rd and 5 or even a bit nearer. I think this isn't always the bad choice, but SF receivers have been dropping balls all day and then Shanahan shouldn't rely on them on a day like this. Run 1 or 2 times (SF also had a timeout left) and you are sure to at least get a tie.
Not pleased with how the refs spotted the ball before the missed field goal. Mostert had the first down or was just inches short, but they ruled him 1,5 yds short. Can't really complain though bc there were some calls going both ways.

Also it is really ridiculous how many SF players got injured in that game. Sanders the most obvious one, but injuries also left a hole on the defensive side (Blair, DJ Jones, Shaair). 8 players missed snaps bc of injuries and 5 or 4 of them got ruled out. You jst can't compensate that, even more bc of the already exisiting injuries. I hope the injuries aren't that serious, but it doesn't look good for some of them. Would be a huge blow to lose even more players for the season.

Reactions: movingtarget
I also think they should have gone for the tie. 3 consecutive passes weren't a good choice. But also, if Pettis had caught that one pass instead of dropping it, they would have gotten a 3rd and 5 or even a bit nearer. I think this isn't always the bad choice, but SF receivers have been dropping balls all day and then Shanahan shouldn't rely on them on a day like this. Run 1 or 2 times (SF also had a timeout left) and you are sure to at least get a tie.
Not pleased with how the refs spotted the ball before the missed field goal. Mostert had the first down or was just inches short, but they ruled him 1,5 yds short. Can't really complain though bc there were some calls going both ways.

Also it is really ridiculous how many SF players got injured in that game. Sanders the most obvious one, but injuries also left a hole on the defensive side (Blair, DJ Jones, Shaair). 8 players missed snaps bc of injuries and 5 or 4 of them got ruled out. You jst can't compensate that, even more bc of the already exisiting injuries. I hope the injuries aren't that serious, but it doesn't look good for some of them. Would be a huge blow to lose even more players for the season.
What's up with Sanders? The initial reports say the rib injury doesn't appear to have occurred on a contact play. What? A rib injury on a non-contact play?

Sanders was starting to get injury prone at Denver; missed several games in 2017 and then the big one in 2018 when he ruptured his Achilles. I guess that's why he was only worthy of a third and fourth-round pick in the trade. And if he couldn't return to the game from this "non-contact" rib injury, then there's a serious problem with his durability.

What's up with Sanders? The initial reports say the rib injury doesn't appear to have occurred on a contact play. What? A rib injury on a non-contact play?

Sanders was starting to get injury prone at Denver; missed several games in 2017 and then the big one in 2018 when he ruptured his Achilles. I guess that's why he was only worthy of a third and fourth-round pick in the trade. And if he couldn't return to the game from this "non-contact" rib injury, then there's a serious problem with his durability.

The way these receivers throw their bodies around it's possible he reactivated something previously injured. Most teams keep that info pretty close to the chest. No pun intended. When he left he looked like something was wrong with his wrist.

Seattle's had it's share of injuries as well. Tight end is a risk position, for one. That and the center and almost entire O-line. Oh...will someone tell Ifedi to fall on the f*cking ball! That guy has given me heartburn all season...and last.

BAL@CIN - This has all the makings of a "trap" game. Ravens on a roll, just beat NE, Jackson has a cold or the flu and missed practice. Bengals bad, but better than their record and playing a little better, division game at home. Only a fool would pick them though, right?
My logic was sound, I just had the completely wrong game, as this was a near perfect description of what happened with Atlanta beating New Orleans!

That MNF game was the game of the year so far. Incredible game by Clowney, while Bosa was nearly held in check the whole game. SF definitely needs it's receivers to get healthy and set. They get that down, and they may still be the team to beat this year in the NFC, as they are stacked. Rematch in week 17 could be real fun.

Arrogant 49ers ? They won four games last year. Their fans are entitled to be a little excited...............2012 was quite a while ago.
I totally agree. 49'ers have more claim to history than any other West Coast team and I live in Seattle. They displayed well-earned style.
Their fans looked like they thought..."oh No! The party is ending" when the cameras caught some worried faces. Too early, I thought because neither team had played consistently well until Seattle started rolling at the end of the first half.

Had Russell not thrown that OT interception I do think SF fan base would suffer a serious loss of confidence. When it has counted Wilson has hurt almost opponent in amazing ways.
It took a former Seahawk defending for NE, jumping a winning Superbowl play to slow down his apparent magic. I'm looking forward to more matchups with SF as they are a good team and may be great soon enough. Either team facing NE for the SB would be fine with me.

I totally agree. 49'ers have more claim to history than any other West Coast team and I live in Seattle. They displayed well-earned style.
Their fans looked like they thought..."oh No! The party is ending" when the cameras caught some worried faces. Too early, I thought because neither team had played consistently well until Seattle started rolling at the end of the first half.

Had Russell not thrown that OT interception I do think SF fan base would suffer a serious loss of confidence. When it has counted Wilson has hurt almost opponent in amazing ways.
It took a former Seahawk defending for NE, jumping a winning Superbowl play to slow down his apparent magic. I'm looking forward to more matchups with SF as they are a good team and may be great soon enough. Either team facing NE for the SB would be fine with me.
Except New England getting into the superbowl is not as strong as before they played the Ravens.

Neither of these two teams facing whomever in the superbowl would be fine with me.

I would never say that the Patriots can't win the SB this season. But in my humble opinion I hope they don't and I don't think they will. If the 49ers make the playoffs I will be happy, anything else is a bonus in my eyes as I think they are still a work in progress and their remaining schedule is very tough. Some interesting match ups this week : Eagles and Patriots, Rams and Bears, Texans and Ravens which should be the game of the week and the Cowboys Lions.

Interesting development with Colin Kaepernick. My first reaction was that the whole thing was a stunt by the NFL, having it on a Saturday in November. But I couldn't figure out why they would want such a stunt? I still can't figure out their motivation here, but it's got to be some sort of trial balloon. To see how teams, fans react to Kaepernick. The NFL must have some sort of thought that he would make them money, and not disrupt things. As I noted months ago, if you go to Kaep's Twitter feed, his posts are really fairly tame, at least what I read from a few months ago, and I read quite a few. It's mostly a lot of re-posting about civil rights, knowing the law, being thankful to those who support him. Dare I say, he's become...dull?

As to his ability to play, I think if he really is fit, he certainly could. I doubt as a starter, but he could certainly be signed as a backup to a team that has a mobile starter, and don't have a backup with experience.

As to pay, he was expecting a lot over two years ago, but now I think he'd accept the veterans minimum, with a heavy bonus laden contract if he plays and performs. Just getting back into the league in 2019 could greatly help his chances in 2020, even if those chances are still as a backup.

PIT@CLE - The Steelers are playing better, actually overplaying with their roster, better coached, but the Browns still have talent, and are at home, desperate.

Interesting development with Colin Kaepernick. My first reaction was that the whole thing was a stunt by the NFL, having it on a Saturday in November. But I couldn't figure out why they would want such a stunt? I still can't figure out their motivation here, but it's got to be some sort of trial balloon. To see how teams, fans react to Kaepernick. The NFL must have some sort of thought that he would make them money, and not disrupt things. As I noted months ago, if you go to Kaep's Twitter feed, his posts are really fairly tame, at least what I read from a few months ago, and I read quite a few. It's mostly a lot of re-posting about civil rights, knowing the law, being thankful to those who support him. Dare I say, he's become...dull?

As to his ability to play, I think if he really is fit, he certainly could. I doubt as a starter, but he could certainly be signed as a backup to a team that has a mobile starter, and don't have a backup with experience.

As to pay, he was expecting a lot over two years ago, but now I think he'd accept the veterans minimum, with a heavy bonus laden contract if he plays and performs. Just getting back into the league in 2019 could greatly help his chances in 2020, even if those chances are still as a backup.

PIT@CLE - The Steelers are playing better, actually overplaying with their roster, better coached, but the Browns still have talent, and are at home, desperate.
I can't believe the NFL advised reporters before Kaepernick about this short-notice "try out". What professional athlete could respond to an ultimate audition moment on such short notice. If he refuses....NFL can shrug their shoulders and shuffle off with another PR problem "solved". Whether he can play or not is hardly known, it's been so long since he took a real snap.

Just finished the Seahawks SF game.

I know in NFL lore games can't be good unless its the SB or maybe a championship game, with possible exceptions to regulare season games with a non football background story. but that an all time great game.

Kind of atrocious from an offensive standpoint, but great defence, lots of momentum changes, very exciting.

With the exception of the 1st quarter. Seahawks actually outplayed the 49ers quite clearly and had to win that game like 3 times over.

At 21-10, the game was over, Garopolo was never gonna march down the field twice. But Seattle messed up big time, fumbling. I still don't know what happened on that OL play.
And then how many INT's did Seattle drop. Very impressive performance tho, from a team that was lucky to win a few games against lesser teams, but brought it on Monday.

If the 9ers had won it, I would have just accepted that its their SB this year because that would have been the kind of luck God only affords fools, drunks and Tom Brady.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I would never say that the Patriots can't win the SB this season. But in my humble opinion I hope they don't and I don't think they will. If the 49ers make the playoffs I will be happy, anything else is a bonus in my eyes as I think they are still a work in progress and their remaining schedule is very tough. Some interesting match ups this week : Eagles and Patriots, Rams and Bears, Texans and Ravens which should be the game of the week and the Cowboys Lions.
Patriots were worse last year.

This year they actually have a very strong defense and special teams. Remember last year they were getting outplayed by complete loser teams like Detroit Jacksonville and Tennesee.

The formula for them winning this year is far far simpler. They have an even easier schedule to ride to the first round bye. There is no juggernaut team in the AFC like KC was last year. In fact almost all the tough teams are in the NFC They will probably get number 1 seed because of these thing so they wont have to even win that 1 hard game at KC. And they themselves are better.

And if they get to the Superbowl its the 50 50 toss like it is almost always with the Pats. Except for last year where they got the weaker team for the SB due to that thing that happened in NO.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
On a football side note, does anyone else watch Bleacher Reports Grid Iron Heights football videos that come out every Tuesday night? They are around one minute ,funny videos about what happened that week for those that haven't seen them.
I watch them someitmes (if i have seen the previous weekends games so i dont worry about spoilers). They are good but way too many refferences for me to catch all of them.

I particularly liked the one last year where Mahomes was driving the car- Reid and the Chiefs were telling him he's driving into traffic, and he responded that irs clear. Or some such

Yes the Browns will be desperate and did well to get a win against the Bill who may or may not have hit the best level they will be already this year. The Bills offense is still a problem like the Rams and also the Bears.

As for Kapernick it smells like a stunt but according to Stephen A. Smith there will be 22 teams with reps at the workout. It's almost three years since he played so he won't get on the field this season you would think. I don't necessarily think that only teams that have a mobile QB will be interested. But it's interesting that QBs like Watson and Jackson are having success doing what Kaep and RGIII have been roundly criticized for with the inherent risks that go with that style of play. Cam and RGIII have certainly paid for it. The Bills QB looks like an accident waiting to happen and Trubisky just isn't playing well enough. But non mobile QBs like Goff are also having big issues. Kaep's biggest issue was reading the defense. He always had the arm and the running ability but it mustn't be forgotten that in his last season with the 49ers, his best WR was Jeremy Kerley and Chip Kelly basically said in an interview that he ran the ball so much because he had no options. The offense they had was injured and it was a second rate one anyway so Kaep probably did shoulder too much of the blame in a two win team.

Patriots were worse last year.

This year they actually have a very strong defense and special teams. Remember last year they were getting outplayed by complete loser teams like Detroit Jacksonville and Tennesee.

The formula for them winning this year is far far simpler. They have an even easier schedule to ride to the first round bye. There is no juggernaut team in the AFC like KC was last year. In fact almost all the tough teams are in the NFC They will probably get number 1 seed because of these thing so they wont have to even win that 1 hard game at KC. And they themselves are better.

And if they get to the Superbowl its the 50 50 toss like it is almost always with the Pats. Except for last year where they got the weaker team for the SB due to that thing that happened in NO.

Yes their defense has looked good until the Ravens game where they looked stunned with what was happening. Their schedule is good but the offense seems to be not what it was. At this stage of the season I doubt that Kansas can make it to the SB. The Rams won't be there. Whether the Ravens, Saints, Green Bay, Seattle, 49ers etc.......can step up in the playoffs remains to be seen. As Eric Mangini said recently, no team makes adjustments after a loss better than the Patriots and if the players don't or can't do it, Bill B finds ones that can.

Agree with what Hitch says on the Pats. I'll still pick them to win the SB this year. I just have a feeling their offense will get rolling when it matters, and despite the loss to Baltimore, I think they'd win a rematch, and as you say, there are no real juggernaut teams in the AFC.

Agree with movingtarget's post as well.

The difference between Kaep and the way Watson (or Wilson) scrambles is that Kaep was very poor at keeping plays alive by moving around and within the pocket, or just reading blocking as it breaks down. Watson is good at this while keeping his eyes down field. Wilson is the best in the NFL at this, without question, one of the best ever, actually. Kaep never really was good at this, which becomes a nightmare for OC's and line coaches. Also, dating back to college he was very good at seeing 1st or 2nd targets and using a strong arm and decent accuracy to get the ball there. But if things went wrong, he couldn't read well beyond that, and often just took off and ran. That worked better in college than the NFL, at least with the consistency enough to win games. Jackson is a better runner than Kaep was, more deft. Never the less, when you look at many NFL teams he is certainly better than many backups. I'm sure there are plenty people in Chicago who think he's better than their starting QB.

Interesting that Movingtarget mentions Josh Allen. I think that's a decent comparison, but Allen has better vision seeing downfield and keeping his eyes moving. He just makes more errant throws, takes too many risks, and relies on arm strength, which may be the best in the NFL but doesn't always mean great accuracy or decision making. This makes him more coachable, or at least potentially coachable, and one of the reasons I'm optimistic on Allen's future in the league. He may never be the next Jim Kelly but he could take his team to some big wins.

I watch them someitmes (if i have seen the previous weekends games so i dont worry about spoilers). They are good but way too many refferences for me to catch all of them.

I particularly liked the one last year where Mahomes was driving the car- Reid and the Chiefs were telling him he's driving into traffic, and he responded that irs clear. Or some such

I always have to rewatch them like 3-4 times to catch everything.

On Patriots defense I don't know if it's true but someone on Quora (he's like Quora's football LS) posted Bill's son started calling the defensive plays and that's part of the reason there was a big drop in production.

Agree with what Hitch says on the Pats. I'll still pick them to win the SB this year. I just have a feeling their offense will get rolling when it matters, and despite the loss to Baltimore, I think they'd win a rematch, and as you say, there are no real juggernaut teams in the AFC.

Agree with movingtarget's post as well.

The difference between Kaep and the way Watson (or Wilson) scrambles is that Kaep was very poor at keeping plays alive by moving around and within the pocket, or just reading blocking as it breaks down. Watson is good at this while keeping his eyes down field. Wilson is the best in the NFL at this, without question, one of the best ever, actually. Kaep never really was good at this, which becomes a nightmare for OC's and line coaches. Also, dating back to college he was very good at seeing 1st or 2nd targets and using a strong arm and decent accuracy to get the ball there. But if things went wrong, he couldn't read well beyond that, and often just took off and ran. That worked better in college than the NFL, at least with the consistency enough to win games. Jackson is a better runner than Kaep was, more deft. Never the less, when you look at many NFL teams he is certainly better than many backups. I'm sure there are plenty people in Chicago who think he's better than their starting QB.

Interesting that Movingtarget mentions Josh Allen. I think that's a decent comparison, but Allen has better vision seeing downfield and keeping his eyes moving. He just makes more errant throws, takes too many risks, and relies on arm strength, which may be the best in the NFL but doesn't always mean great accuracy or decision making. This makes him more coachable, or at least potentially coachable, and one of the reasons I'm optimistic on Allen's future in the league. He may never be the next Jim Kelly but he could take his team to some big wins.

Agree with the bulk of that. Interesting that Wilson, Jackson and Watson can all scramble but they are all a little different. Jackson and Watson are natural runners. Wilson isn't a running QB like the other two and is the least athletic but he is also probably the smartest at knowing when to run and making the most of what look like initially bad situations. At least three times in the 49ers game the defense was on top of him and he escaped. The last scramble was the one that enabled the winning kick. He has a habit of doing it but I still think the 49ers defended him pretty well. Turnovers killed the 49ers and drops by their WRs especially after Sanders left the field. Missing the kick was too much after coming back in the fourth quarter.

Kaep is fast in a straight line but doesn't have the elusive moves of the other three. He more or less hits a hole in the defense instead of dancing around the defense. With good WRs and an offense he is comfortable in he should do okay. Shanahan wanted a more accurate QB and not a mobile QB as he is a run heavy OC a lot of the time anyway with the RB's. I think Allen could be good if he improves his decision making and doesn't get hurt first.

TRENDING THREADS