• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 414 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would take the Patriots offense from last year over this one. The OL hasn't been doing good on protection, receivers haven't been getting separation leading to tight windows, and Brady doesn't seem to have faith in any WR besides Edelman. I believe it was an article I read, because I haven't been able to watch any Patriots game being on west coast, that said Brady hasn't been looking at receivers when they're running open as he doesn't trust them so I don't know how much stock is in that.
Edit, Rex Ryan does a better job than I of wording and describing it.

I just hope for a competitive playoffs and Patriots vs Saints/Packers.
Of course the Pats offense is worse this year than last year.

But the defense is so much better, it makes up for that. Special teams as well maybe. Last year Blake Bortles put up 40 on the Pats defense. Detroit decimated them as well. KC scored 50 in a loss.

This year they are the best in the league and are guaranteed 2-5 turnovers a game. Teams are going into Pats games with the knowledge that at least one of their possessions will be given to Brady on the 20 yard line.

And it goes to show how much of a joke the whole "QB is responsible for a teams record" logic is.

I think you're right. But I also think he blew a real opportunity on Saturday. By acting like the whole thing was rigged, even if it partly was, and insisting he do it his way and only show his skills at a high school miles away may have sealed his fate. What am I saying? It's that while he is good, he's likely to come off as a distraction that staff cannot control, even if he's not uttering controversial statements about the police or racial inequality. I italicized only because if he felt he wanted the workout to be public, he easily could have done things the NFL's way on Saturday, then walked out of the stadium saying he'd have another workout for the public at a future time.

It wasn't just injuries, Flacco hasn't been making good throws for a few years. Why on earth Elway was so convinced he'd get the same Flacco he was back in 2012 is beyond me. I even posted this just when the deal was made.

I do believe in God, and God doesn't change sports outcomes, sorry. This was a mix of coincidence, happenstance, skill, and luck. It's not called a game of inches for nothing.

Regarding the Garrett incident, I'm curious why the NFL is so quick to hand out punishment when something like this happens, but when a player is involved in domestic violence, they hem and haw, or in some cases sit on their hands and wait? I agree Rudolph likely should have missed a game as well. I'll also echo what I said a few weeks ago in that I don't think the Browns, despite playing a very good game, are that disciplined of a team, and I think that falls on Kitchens. I'm not saying Garrett isn't at fault here, nor that if they had Tom Landry as their coach they'd never have a single problem, but I just think Freddie isn't that good of a head coach.

Very impressive win by Baltimore, once again. Jackson beating teams with his feet, and his arm as well with plenty of nice throws and good decisions.
It's been three years almost for Kaep. For me that is the major issue. In any sport how many athletes return after that long and are are anyway near as good as they used to be ? Which also means it is less and less likely that teams will be really interested. The whole story with Kaep is becoming a sports soap opera unfortunately.

Considering Elway's pedigree it almost beggars belief that he is constantly unable to make good decisions hiring QB's.

The Patriots game looked ugly and a good receiver was entitled to catch the dropped throw from Wentz. The NFC looks to have the bulk of the good games leading into the playoffs because many will be playing for a playoff berth. The Ravens look good. Big game today for Kansas.

Regarding the Garrett incident, I'm curious why the NFL is so quick to hand out punishment when something like this happens, but when a player is involved in domestic violence, they hem and haw, or in some cases sit on their hands and wait? I agree Rudolph likely should have missed a game as well. I'll also echo what I said a few weeks ago in that I don't think the Browns, despite playing a very good game, are that disciplined of a team, and I think that falls on Kitchens. I'm not saying Garrett isn't at fault here, nor that if they had Tom Landry as their coach they'd never have a single problem, but I just think Freddie isn't that good of a head coach.
I'd take a punt that it's because one is seen by millions, while the other isn't.

Mr. Kneeling for Justice played everyone over the weekend. He is just a bad human who never wanted to play to begin with.
He wore his kunta kinte shirt which was an improvement over the murdering che geuana.
Quick Question Since he wore his kunta kinte does that mean he is saying that the NFL owners were calling him chicken george?

• Angry
Reactions: F_Cance
Yeah, I don't get it. Maybe he doesn't really want to play? I doubt that. However, I could see an NFL exec or coach drawing this conclusion. As I said before, my biggest concern is that teams will look at him as an uncontrollable distraction, which would cause more negative than positive worth for the team. This is all peculiar of course because Kaepernick made sure to tell team reps at the end to tell their teams and coaches they had nothing to fear.

I also wonder why he didn't sign up for the XFL? It will pay more than the AAF, in fact he'd be the league's highest paid player, possibly make up to a half mil for one season. It will be much more stable than the AAF or XFL 1, most certainly last the entire season (McMahon is sinking a lot more money into it this time, and his personal wealth has gone up a considerable amount as well). Kap would start every game and be on TV and highlights every week, and if he shined without (much) controversy, it would put a tremendous amount of pressure on NFL teams in 2020 to sign him.

Mr. Kneeling for Justice played everyone over the weekend. He is just a bad human who never wanted to play to begin with.

You might want to take a look at this. Not that it will change your mind. I've seen enough of your posts to understand that facts don't ever change your mind. I'm sure I hate Curt Schililng's politics more than you hate Kaepernick's politics. But unlike you, I can be objective and fair, and advocate that he goes to the HOF, while you are so totally blinded by your hate for Kaep's politics that you don't even want him to play, and rationalize this with the totally unsubstantiated BS that he doesn't want to play.

By now, the NFL’s waiver has made the rounds all over the internet — getting pilloried by a swath of lawyers whose job isn’t shouting hot takes on morning talk shows. What most of them are seeing is this: A document that pushed past normal injury protections and contained language that, had Kaepernick signed it, could have given the league footing to argue that he’d signed away some of his employment protections.

Given the broad language of the waiver, the NFL could have altered any agreements made with Kaepernick, regardless of how damaging those changes or actions might have been. For example, the league could have refused to release tapes of the workout with no recourse. Or the teams could have been allowed to instruct Kaepernick that he would be unemployable if he knelt for the national anthem. The NFL could have even instructed all teams not to sign Kaepernick following the workout. While all of those sound preposterous and unlikely, the fact that there would have been no repercussions for any of those actions speaks to how sweeping the waiver was.

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone. The NFL came up with this workout idea out of the blue, giving Kaep very little time to respond, and basically playing our way or the highway with him. Most human beings capable of thinking are going to resist being forced into an agreement without any say on the details of that agreement.

How many currently active or available QBs have started a SB?

Brady
Goff
Foles
Wilson
Flacco
E. Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Kaepernick

Last edited:
He wore his kunta kinte shirt which was an improvement over the murdering che geuana.
Quick Question Since he wore his kunta kinte does that mean he is saying that the NFL owners were calling him chicken george?
The whole Kaep saga is now venturing into giggle territory. Unbelievably every time a 49er chat goes online, his name is still constantly thrown around much to the chagrin of fans that just want to discuss the current games........................he certainly has some devoted followers and some irritating ones that confuse his situation with his ability, even to the point where some people are calling for Shanahan to dump Jimmy G and bring back Kaep ! Shanahan made it clear from the start that Kaep wasn't a fit for his offense and when Kaep opted out of his contract and Kelly was replaced with Shanahan, nobody much was calling for the 49ers to keep him. Hoyer who knew the offense, was signed as a temporary solution until someone better came along. Unfortunately that was just the beginning of the saga which continues today.

Just saw KC vs Chargers.
Was a close game, but I think KC deserved it in the end.

Though Rivers looks past it, and ChargIRs are very injured as always, KC's defense looked quite good. i can see them being a team that actually gets hot for the playoffs this year and wins 1 or 2 on the road. Since they obviously aren't getting the number 1 seed. vs hot for the regular season, colder for playoffs like last year

I mean last year they would have won this kind of game much easier. - 7 pts when Chargers had 4 turnovers, a missed fg, multiple fumbles.

One play that did have a really big impact though was when KC fumbled and Chargers got into the red zone.

But a face mask on the other side of the field negated it.

That your offensive player fumbles the ball, to the defense on the play where unknown to him there is already an unrelated flag down, and not on the plays where that wasn't the case, is just the kind of dumb luck that keeps football games close and why Any Given Sunday is a thing.

Right result in the end though. KC have an easy schedule outside of the Pats away.
I think they go 11-5

So it will be
1 Pats,
2 Ravens
3 KC
4 AfC South winner -decided possibly tomorrow

Wildcard is between Bills, Steelers, Raiders and loser of Colts Texans.

I think KC is closer to Ravens and Pats than to the 3 other playoff teams.

So if its KC - Ravens that could be close.
Texans too poorly coached to do anything

All 3 prime time games this week look lit:

Colts at Texans - will go with the home team on a Thursday despite them being badly coached. First game was close tho.

Broncos at Bills- 50 50 game. But chose the home team with the better record.
Giants at Bears- Bears are bad, just not bad.
Steelers at Bengals- Bengals lose again. Close again. But still lose
Dolphins at Browns- The better team should win
Buccaneers at Falcons- A 3-7 team is the hottest team in the league
Panthers at Saints- close divisional game. Saints are more than capable of losing, but I think Saints, just have enough
Seahawks at Eagles- Seahawks just have way too much momentum atm.
Lions at Redskins - better team
Raiders at Jets- Better team
Jaguars at Titans- Titans win these kind of games.
Cowboys at Patriots - Pats never lose these kind of games. Will be interesting to see if Cowboys offense can make a game out of it tho.
Packers at 49ers- Very interesting game. I think 9ers are better, though. At home
Ravens at Rams- look forward to this too. i go with the on form team though.

Didn't Colin turn down offers from Broncos and Ravens because he wanted more money?

Turned down Denver. the Ravens and Miami were interested until the fan bases got busy and then they lost interest pretty quickly after the backlash..Showing interest doesn't mean he was going to be signed of course. Seattle brought him in for an informal meeting but were concerned about the politics especially after he couldn't tell them whether his protest was going to continue or not.

Didn't Colin turn down offers from Broncos and Ravens because he wanted more money?
I don't recall anything with Baltimore, but I remember the situation with Denver all too well where that's all talk shows here argued about for a good portion of the preseason. That was 2016 - Kubiak's last season as HC and the preseason they started with Siemian, Sanchez & some first rounder named Paxton Lynch. Lol.

Here's what Elway said about a contract offer:

View: https://youtu.be/0UeKPKydbzo

[
Just saw KC vs Chargers.
Was a close game, but I think KC deserved it in the end.

Though Rivers looks past it, and ChargIRs are very injured as always, KC's defense looked quite good. i can see them being a team that actually gets hot for the playoffs this year and wins 1 or 2 on the road. Since they obviously aren't getting the number 1 seed. vs hot for the regular season, colder for playoffs like last year

I mean last year they would have won this kind of game much easier. - 7 pts when Chargers had 4 turnovers, a missed fg, multiple fumbles.

One play that did have a really big impact though was when KC fumbled and Chargers got into the red zone.

But a face mask on the other side of the field negated it.

That your offensive player fumbles the ball, to the defense on the play where unknown to him there is already an unrelated flag down, and not on the plays where that wasn't the case, is just the kind of dumb luck that keeps football games close and why Any Given Sunday is a thing.

Right result in the end though. KC have an easy schedule outside of the Pats away.
I think they go 11-5

So it will be
1 Pats,
2 Ravens
3 KC
4 AfC South winner -decided possibly tomorrow

Wildcard is between Bills, Steelers, Raiders and loser of Colts Texans.

I think KC is closer to Ravens and Pats than to the 3 other playoff teams.

So if its KC - Ravens that could be close.
Texans too poorly coached to do anything
The Bears and Chargers have really dropped off since last season also the Rams who might still improve if their offense can start to click.

All 3 prime time games this week look lit:

Colts at Texans - will go with the home team on a Thursday despite them being badly coached. First game was close tho.

Broncos at Bills- 50 50 game. But chose the home team with the better record.
Giants at Bears- Bears are bad, just not bad.
Steelers at Bengals- Bengals lose again. Close again. But still lose
Dolphins at Browns- The better team should win
Buccaneers at Falcons- A 3-7 team is the hottest team in the league
Panthers at Saints- close divisional game. Saints are more than capable of losing, but I think Saints, just have enough
Seahawks at Eagles- Seahawks just have way too much momentum atm.
Lions at Redskins - better team
Raiders at Jets- Better team
Jaguars at Titans- Titans win these kind of games.
Cowboys at Patriots - Pats never lose these kind of games. Will be interesting to see if Cowboys offense can make a game out of it tho.
Packers at 49ers- Very interesting game. I think 9ers are better, though. At home
Ravens at Rams- look forward to this too. i go with the on form team though.

I never usually tip the Cowboys but I think they can beat the Patriots this week. Ravens should be too good. Can't see the Eagles beating Seattle. 49ers and Packers could be the game of the week. Hoping the 49ers can get the win as they have the Ravens and Saints to follow. Colts might edge out the Texans. I give the Dolphins a chance to beat the Browns. The Falcons are going make a nuisance of themselves leading up to the playoffs by the looks of things.

You might want to take a look at this. Not that it will change your mind. I've seen enough of your posts to understand that facts don't ever change your mind. I'm sure I hate Curt Schililng's politics more than you hate Kaepernick's politics. But unlike you, I can be objective and fair, and advocate that he goes to the HOF, while you are so totally blinded by your hate for Kaep's politics that you don't even want him to play, and rationalize this with the totally unsubstantiated BS that he doesn't want to play.

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone. The NFL came up with this workout idea out of the blue, giving Kaep very little time to respond, and basically playing our way or the highway with him. Most human beings capable of thinking are going to resist being forced into an agreement without any say on the details of that agreement.

How many currently active or available QBs have started a SB?

Brady
Goff
Foles
Wilson
Flacco
E. Manning
Rodgers
Brees
Kaepernick
I had to google curt schililng's and was able to find it. just a point, your spelling is off a little.
He seems like a wacko. He also has issues with twitter. Posted up islam vs nazis, some lynching t shirt. That is out there by anyone's definition. Id did not know him and would not like to either.

Most kapernick is a clown and his play was declining. He could be a backup but people like bridgewater are much better and do not come with some faked justice warrior baggage.

(Yahoo article on Kaepernick waiver)

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone.
Thanks for posting this. My initial read was from an early report saying the waiver wasn't much different than any others. Obviously that reporter wasn't reading the finer print.

I still question his approach, some decisions he made, but maybe Colin did have a point when he told the scouts that coaches and execs had nothing to fear by signing him. As I noted before, if you look at his Twitter account or anything he's said in the last two years, it's fairly tame.
I don't recall anything with Baltimore, but I remember the situation with Denver all too well... John Elway said...
Don't believe that for a second. The only contract he offered was when Colin was still on the 49ers and a trade was being discussed. Denver wanted him to take a pay cut of about $5m-$9m per year (about $12-16m, down to $7m), an astounding amount. Kaepernick was willing to take a pay cut, even flying to Denver and meeting with team management, just not that much. Denver simply wouldn't budge in negotiating, knowing the contract bordered on absurd, and Elway is in a sense trying to wash their hands of it.

One may think Elway knew SF would jettison Kaepernick and used that as leverage, but there's no way he could have known that, as it happened sometime later, after Shanahan was brought on as SF coach and ultimately made the call to cut Kaepernick.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/nfl-broncos-john-elway-colin-kaepernick-contract-collusion-case

Let's take a look at every Denver QB who was named a starter, since that time, and just after Manning retired:

Trevor Siemian,
Paxton Lynch,
Brock Osweiller,
Case Keenum,
Joe Flacco,
Brandon Allen.

Can anyone really say that during this period of time, Kaepernick would have been worse than all of those guys? Any of them? My honest answer is no. Flacco 2010-2012 was better (beat Colin in the SB!), but not since. Keenum had some good years, some average. I'd expect that level of quality from Kaep probably. The rest were all below average. Even if you take into consideration the two things I think make Kaep a hard QB to keep as a starter (concern about distraction/negative feedback), and his not looking well through progressions and not moving well at all in a pocket, he's still a much better QB option than most of those guys. This doesn't even consider the guys who mostly sat on the bench, but did play some, during this time:

Chad Kelly
Kevin Hogan
Garrett Grayson
Nick Stevens
Kyle Sloter
Mark Sanchez
Austin Davis
Brett Rypien

So yes, he's controversial. Yes, he'd likely be a bit of a distraction. But I'd argue less than Michael Vick was. I'd also argue while he's made some questionable decisions, ones that give me pause, he really isn't a jerk, and really isn't that hated of a player. Would fans dislike him any less than, say, Kareem Hunt? Blake Bortals? Mitch Trubisky? Jameis Winston? Jalen Ramsey? Ndamukong Suh? Vontez Burfict? Heck, there's a lot of football fans that despise Tom Brady, Kirk Cousins, even Baker Mayfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: F_Cance
Turned down Denver. the Ravens and Miami were interested until the fan bases got busy and then they lost interest pretty quickly after the backlash..Showing interest doesn't mean he was going to be signed of course. Seattle brought him in for an informal meeting but were concerned about the politics especially after he couldn't tell them whether his protest was going to continue or not.
The Ravens cancelled the meeting because CK's girl posted a racist pic of the Ray Lewis and Steve Biscioti.

IMO, Kaep ended his NFL chances Saturday.

The regulars here might notice that I've been mostly absent this season. FOR ME, this has been the worst season in my memory (but my memory sucks!). I decided not to come here and complain every week though. I haven't watched nearly as many full games as years past because as soon as I don't like what I see, I go do something else.
Horrible officiating and refusal to check themselves.
Horrible coaching.
Horrible GMs.
Lazy players.
Over payed players.
No leadership from the league or the owners.
Poor scheduling.
More...

Of course there has been some good football but my overwhelming feeling is that the NFL has taken a dive.

OK, I'm off to wipe my tears and slobber...

EDIT: The weather has been nice so I've been getting more dirt than most Novembers so it makes it easy to skip crap games.

Last edited:
The Ravens cancelled the meeting because CK's girl posted a racist pic of the Ray Lewis and Steve Biscioti.

I agree with that from moving the workout at the last minute and his statement. Just seems to be trying to get publicity and I don't think any team will want to deal with the PR headache. What if a team signs him and he's a backup, what would he do than.

Garrett stated Rudolph used a racial slur, should be easy to prove or not since isn't Rudolph mic'ed up as the QB?

And I agree with Jmdirt that I've been watching a lot less and just doing quick highlights and reading about it. Unfortunately the same is happening with cycling too.

I agree with that from moving the workout at the last minute and his statement. Just seems to be trying to get publicity and I don't think any team will want to deal with the PR headache. What if a team signs him and he's a backup, what would he do than.

Garrett stated Rudolph used a racial slur, should be easy to prove or not since isn't Rudolph mic'ed up as the QB?

And I agree with Jmdirt that I've been watching a lot less and just doing quick highlights and reading about it. Unfortunately the same is happening with cycling too.
Strange that a guy who plays a game with a lot of skin color still has racial slurs in his vocab. Crap, I live in pasty white Idaho and don't have racial slurs in my vocab.

Yes and there was also a bit of an outburst in the media from Ravens fans about Kaep and his lady friend..................Miami it was the Castro T shirt and I guess the pig socks affended a few people.......he could have made things easier for himself but through a mixture of political naivety and maybe having some fun with the NFL at his own expense eventually, has cost him and made a bad situation even worse. After three years almost, the outlook for a return looks marginal at best. It will take a leap of faith by an executive with a big set !

The regulars here might notice that I've been mostly absent this season. FOR ME, this has been the worst season in my memory (but my memory sucks!). I decided not to come here and complain every week though. I haven't watched nearly as many full games as years past because as soon as I don't like what I see, I go do something else.
Horrible officiating and refusal to check themselves.
Horrible coaching.
Horrible GMs.
Lazy players.
Over payed players.
No leadership from the league or the owners.
Poor scheduling.
More...

Of course there has been some good football but my overwhelming feeling is that the NFL has taken a dive.

OK, I'm off to wipe my tears and slobber...

EDIT: The weather has been nice so I've been getting more dirt than most Novembers so it makes it easy to skip crap games.

Get a grip man.......................okay you make some good points !

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Strange that a guy who plays a game with a lot of skin color still has racial slurs in his vocab. Crap, I live in pasty white Idaho and don't have racial slurs in my vocab.

Same in Vegas. I don't think I have heard a single racial slur directed at someone in public.

Edit: I just saw the news about it, looks like it isn't in Rudolph's vocabulary.

Before I was fine with Garrett being suspended for six games and back next year but if nothing further comes out to support his claim I feel like he should get up a sixteen game suspension.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS