• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 416 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have to agree with you guys. I'm impressed by Baltimore, period, but in last night's game it was really the Rams who looked terrible. It's hard to think this is the same team that almost won the SB last year (well, it's not the same team, but close).

It's maybe too early to really make this prediction, but my gut tells me the 49ers will beat the Ravens in this looming marquee match-up, maybe by double digits.

Reactions: jmdirt
I have to agree with you guys. I'm impressed by Baltimore, period, but in last night's game it was really the Rams who looked terrible. It's hard to think this is the same team that almost won the SB last year (well, it's not the same team, but close).

It's maybe too early to really make this prediction, but my gut tells me the 49ers will beat the Ravens in this looming marquee match-up, maybe by double digits.
Patriots defense couldn't manage it. See how the 49ers cope. Should be a great game.

Patriots defense couldn't manage it. See how the 49ers cope. Should be a great game.

Yes, by the numbers, the Patriot's defense has been even better than the 49ers. As good as the 49ers pass defense has been, it may have trouble with Jackson, because of the constant run threat. He won’t be a sitting duck for the DL. The 49ers have faced one QB who probably most resembles Jackson, AZ’s Kyler Murray, and both times the Cardinals, overall one of the weakest teams in the NFL, made the game very close. Murray’s combined stats for those two games:

Passing: 41/57, 391 yards, 4 TD/0 Int. - QBR (the older version) 111.7
Rushing: 13/101 yards
Sacks: 7/56 yards

Murray has actually performed better this year than Jackson did last year as a rookie.

Jackson 2018
Passing: 99/170. 1201 yards, 6 TD/3 Int – QBR 84.5
Rushing: 147/695 (4.7 yards/carry)

Murray 2019
Passing: 254/393, 2703 yards, 14 TD/5 Int – QBR 91.2
Rushing: 67/418 (6.2 yards/carry)

It’s scary to think what the Cardinals’s offense will be like if Murray develops as much as Jackson has. In fact, Murray has gotten better as the season has progressed, as you would expect for a rookie QB thrown into the deep end. His QBR rating for the first five games was 80.2; for his last six games, it's 102.8.

P.S. - The weather report indicates this game is going to be played under conditions like that of Dallas-NE: cold, wet and muddy. That probably favors running more. The Ravens are the top rushing team in the NFL, but the 49ers are second, and were first until they lost some key players to injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
9ers Ravens is the game of the year. One of the games of the decade. In terms of quality of teams going in.

Especially after what these two teams did on MNF and SNF respectively.

These are clearly the top 2 teams in the league at the moment. Just because Pats may win the Superbowl, doesn't mean that right now the 49ers at least aren't better at the moment, and I would say Ravens as well, even though they got blown out by the Browns 2 months ago.

Should have been flexed to prime time. Now, Texans Pats isn't bad on paper either, but there is less quality there.

And i feel like weve seen this before. Not just from the Pats- special teams will make a play and defense will hold- half their games this season,
but also from the Texans - kind of game they will find a way to lose.

Granted, they would have had to do the flex a few weeks ago, so they wouldn't have known what would happen on Sunday and Monday

As always, I'm just hoping for a good game (especially with all of the (deserved) hype). If the SF D can control Jackson, they have a fighting chance. But, if they can't figure him out, these two teams will have the same record after the game. The catch here is that if they focus on stopping his rushing, he can just throw over them. The injury report might affect this game as well.

Hopefully now Skip Bayliss will stop spewing his nonsense about Dak Prescott. It's delusional. He is never to blame for the Cowboy losses. He certainly contributed today. Fumbles, a stupid intercept and so on and his passing is overrated.
And I think Garrett is gone after this debacle (unless they get to the SB. Lol). Anyone heard the rumor that Jones is interested in Urban Meyer? (If he can coax him from his cush assistant-AD job at OSU).

Good wins today by all teams. Bills looking real good and could have a chance at the division depending on how Patriots play against Texans and Chiefs. It could lead to a must win game in Gillette.

Patriots onto their fourth kicker.

Hopefully now Skip Bayliss will stop spewing his nonsense about Dak Prescott. It's delusional. He is never to blame for the Cowboy losses. He certainly contributed today. Fumbles, a stupid intercept and so on and his passing is overrated.
DP isn't as good as many of the talking heads make him out to be (yet?). He has the physical, but still doesn't have the mental (yet?). The thing is, he is better than anyone available at this point. I can't tell if he is getting poor plays sent in to him or changing into all of the poor plays. They paid EE $1T and didn't hand him the ball for the final 20 minutes of the game.

Three on-side kick recoveries in the final minutes! That's crazy considering that there had only been two the entire season prior (did they count the Lions one?).

Hill is a stud!

Three (maybe 2 1/2) sloppy Thursday games this week. BUT, NOLA and Buff NY can go deep into the post season.

The officiating is horrendous...what is the NFL going to do?

Reactions: Koronin
Three on-side kick recoveries in the final minutes! That's crazy considering that there had only been two the entire season prior (did they count the Lions one?).

Hill is a stud!

Three (maybe 2 1/2) sloppy Thursday games this week. BUT, NOLA and Buff NY can go deep into the post season.

The officiating is horrendous...what is the NFL going to do?
The review of the referees from the Patriots/Cowboys game concluded that neither of the two contentious penalties against the Cowboys should have have been awarded but the Patriots often seem to win out in that regard. The so called tripping penalty was laughable.
The roughing the QB penalty against the Bills where Prescott ran to make a first down looked like a straightforward tackle to me. The Bills coach was angry but for some reason didn't challenge it ! The tackle wasn't late and it wasn't high, he hit him around the waist. Bizarre decision.

Talking of kickers the Panthers kicker was horrendous against the Saints last week and cost them the game with three misses, one from 20 yards.

I spoke highly of Josh Allen a few weeks ago, and he continues to impress me. Incredible arm, and his vision and decision making improve every week.

Dallas other problem is likely the GM, as much as the coach. But since Jerry Jones is the owner and GM, that's not likely to change. The Cowboys will never win another SB as long as he owns the team. He hit the jackpot (really, Jimmy Johnson did) with the Hershal Walker trade, and they really lucked out that nobody Tony Romo turned out quite good, but despite an excellent OL, I don't see Dallas doing well not, or in the years to come, simply because of the way they are run as an organization.

I spoke highly of Josh Allen a few weeks ago, and he continues to impress me. Incredible arm, and his vision and decision making improve every week.

Dallas other problem is likely the GM, as much as the coach. But since Jerry Jones is the owner and GM, that's not likely to change. The Cowboys will never win another SB as long as he owns the team. He hit the jackpot (really, Jimmy Johnson did) with the Hershal Walker trade, and they really lucked out that nobody Tony Romo turned out quite good, but despite an excellent OL, I don't see Dallas doing well not, or in the years to come, simply because of the way they are run as an organization.
While I don't disagree with what you are saying, does JJ explain the terrible plays being run (poor play selection and or execution)?

Above I couldn't decide if it was Kellen Moore or Dak, but the more I think about it, I would lean to it being DP's 'audibles' not really fitting what is going on with the D. For example, I'm 99% sure that KM sent in more hand-offs to EE, but DP changed to a pass play that wasn't there. KM has the vision of a great QB, but is small and slow. Dak has the physical abilities of a great QB, but doesn't see the game well. They could make a great combo if they respect each others' gifts (this is more on DP trusting the call he gets). True a pre snap call can't always anticipate what the D will do, but DP isn't seeing it at the line either.

Thoughts on some games for tomorrow:

SF@BAL - Here's the game of the week, obviously, hopefully. To me Jackson will get his yards throwing and running, but I don't see the Ravens defense stopping long drives by the 49ers.
WAS@CAR - Wash in a freefall. Allen has the job...right?
NYJ@CIN - Jets have won a couple in a row now, Darnold playing well.
TEN@IND - Titans and Tannehill playing well, but this is on the road.
PHI@MIA - Eagles way more talented, but Fins playing better of late. Still Eagle defense prevails here.
GB@NYG - Years ago Tom Coughlin had solutions for Aaron Rodgers. Now, the Packer OL and play calling is the only thing stopping them here.
CLE@PIT - Here's the game for a potential WC spot, both teams playing well of late. Went with more talent over better coaching and home.
OAK@KC - Here's the Raiders chance to show last week was a fluke. But despite some of KC's weaknesses, I don't see them losing at home here.
LAR@ARI - Teams headed in different directions. A loss here will kill the Rams season, morale, everything. I almost expect it to happen.
LAC@DEN - All 7 Charger losses were in one-posession games.

NE@HOU - Bill O'Brien has never beaten his old boss. I have a hunch the Pats come a bit alive here on offense.

MIN@SEA - Quietly(?) the second best game of the week. I'll take Seattle at home. Wilson has never lost to the Vikings.

I haven't checked the local TV schedule here in the Northeast, but if they give us Jets vs. Bengals and Packers vs. Giants, instead of SF vs. Baltimore, I think people here are going to flip.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
49ers and Vikings games should be good viewing I hope. Carolina should win, they should have beaten the Saints. Don't see many upsets really but I think the Vikings and 49ers could both win. The Rams game is a tough one, it all depends on their defense which was awful last week. Can't see the Patriots losing, Eagles should win. Chargers have had many close games and unfortunately Rivers has cost them many of those losses. Browns game should be a battle.

That could still happen this year! :eek:

True, what if it is 4-12 next year.

I wonder how much the locker room bug will hurt the Pats?

Since they are traveling I would think it'll affect the ones who are/were sick more. When I went from Vegas to OKC with the flu I was wrecked for a week and it took a long time for my ears to pop but I am also not a top of the line athlete. Also bad from I believe 2 defensive starters out and a new kicker.

I'm hoping that the offense comes to play.

Thoughts on some games for tomorrow:

SF@BAL - Here's the game of the week, obviously, hopefully. To me Jackson will get his yards throwing and running, but I don't see the Ravens defense stopping long drives by the 49ers.
WAS@CAR - Wash in a freefall. Allen has the job...right?
NYJ@CIN - Jets have won a couple in a row now, Darnold playing well.
TEN@IND - Titans and Tannehill playing well, but this is on the road.
PHI@MIA - Eagles way more talented, but Fins playing better of late. Still Eagle defense prevails here.
GB@NYG - Years ago Tom Coughlin had solutions for Aaron Rodgers. Now, the Packer OL and play calling is the only thing stopping them here.
CLE@PIT - Here's the game for a potential WC spot, both teams playing well of late. Went with more talent over better coaching and home.
OAK@KC - Here's the Raiders chance to show last week was a fluke. But despite some of KC's weaknesses, I don't see them losing at home here.
LAR@ARI - Teams headed in different directions. A loss here will kill the Rams season, morale, everything. I almost expect it to happen.
LAC@DEN - All 7 Charger losses were in one-posession games.

NE@HOU - Bill O'Brien has never beaten his old boss. I have a hunch the Pats come a bit alive here on offense.

MIN@SEA - Quietly(?) the second best game of the week. I'll take Seattle at home. Wilson has never lost to the Vikings.

I haven't checked the local TV schedule here in the Northeast, but if they give us Jets vs. Bengals and Packers vs. Giants, instead of SF vs. Baltimore, I think people here are going to flip.
Looks like things didn't go your way this week alpe. You almost went Stephen a Smith and got everything wrong.

You were thinking the right way on SF though. They were the better team and far from over run by the ravens like many thought. I think their the best team in the NFL.

Miami not so bad after all. Had the greatest trick play I've ever seen and deserve the win.

But all in all the most boring NFL week I can remember. Tons of meaningless and no contest games just had to fall on this week.

TRENDING THREADS