• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 413 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just finished the Seahawks SF game.

I know in NFL lore games can't be good unless its the SB or maybe a championship game, with possible exceptions to regulare season games with a non football background story. but that an all time great game.

Kind of atrocious from an offensive standpoint, but great defence, lots of momentum changes, very exciting.

With the exception of the 1st quarter. Seahawks actually outplayed the 49ers quite clearly and had to win that game like 3 times over.

At 21-10, the game was over, Garopolo was never gonna march down the field twice. But Seattle messed up big time, fumbling. I still don't know what happened on that OL play.
And then how many INT's did Seattle drop. Very impressive performance tho, from a team that was lucky to win a few games against lesser teams, but brought it on Monday.

If the 9ers had won it, I would have just accepted that its their SB this year because that would have been the kind of luck God only affords fools, drunks and Tom Brady.
Enjoyed the game but hated to lose like that. Some great defensive plays and both QBs were under the pump. Neither running game really got going. Of course both teams know each other so well. Seattle's defense was better than I expected.

Yes the Browns will be desperate and did well to get a win against the Bill who may or may not have hit the best level they will be already this year. The Bills offense is still a problem like the Rams and also the Bears.

As for Kapernick it smells like a stunt but according to Stephen A. Smith there will be 22 teams with reps at the workout. It's almost three years since he played so he won't get on the field this season you would think. I don't necessarily think that only teams that have a mobile QB will be interested. But it's interesting that QBs like Watson and Jackson are having success doing what Kaep and RGIII have been roundly criticized for with the inherent risks that go with that style of play. Cam and RGIII have certainly paid for it. The Bills QB looks like an accident waiting to happen and Trubisky just isn't playing well enough. But non mobile QBs like Goff are also having big issues. Kaep's biggest issue was reading the defense. He always had the arm and the running ability but it mustn't be forgotten that in his last season with the 49ers, his best WR was Jeremy Kerley and Chip Kelly basically said in an interview that he ran the ball so much because he had no options. The offense they had was injured and it was a second rate one anyway so Kaep probably did shoulder too much of the blame in a two win team.
Kaep will be taken if an owner thinks they can win with him. The league is about winning with the QB - no matter who it is (nothing new there). Owners want to win and win now, and the more dough they put out to get these hot shot 1st round draft picks the more pressure there is for the QB to win...and win now. I figure for most of the situations the 1st rounder gets to start or play most of his rookie season as an apprenticeship - no pressure to win (e.g., Murray, Jones, Haskins). The second year (barring injury) it's win or it's not looking very good (some rare exceptions with this when Mahomes sat his rookie season behind Smith - though he did start the last game of the season).

Tremendous pressure this year for Mayfield, Allen, Darnold & Jackson. Though Darnold may get some slack because he missed so many games due to illness, next year will certainly be his pressure cooker. Allen has got his club at 6-3 and is looking good (though he needs to avoid getting injured.). Jackson is exceeding expectations with Baltimore at an amazing 7-2. The Ravens look like geniuses drafting Jackson and dumping Flaaco where it's crystal clear now that Elway screwed up big time by taking a QB that's too much of an injury risk despite winning a SB. And Mayfield had better turn it around quickly and get the Browns in playoff contention or he'll be categorized in that bust mode. QBs selected as "thee" #1 overall pick are expected to perform miracles sooner than later (no surprises there and it will be Murray's time next year). And Rosen looks like he should have been taken in the 3rd round - now a backup behind Fitzpatrick! Lol.

Owners really don't care how a QB is playing as long as the teams wins. Look at the situation at Tennessee: Mariota, statistically, wasn't playing that bad but the team was struggling when the Tennessee offense was pathetic losing 16-0 to Denver a month ago. Consequently, Mariota is benched and in comes Tannehill who has won 3 out of the last 4 including that shocker in KC with the Titans right back in the division hunt at 5-5. And this is "Marcus Mariota" we're talking about - a 2nd OA pick and a QB who has taken this team to the playoffs before.

Even the usual sub-par lousy Bengals couldn't take it anymore benching Dalton for Ryan Finley. Lol (I can see the Bengals in the hunt next year for the likes of Tua, Burrow, Herbert, etc.).

You mentioned Trubisky: He' s starting to sway to the bust category. Another 2nd OA pick who's not getting the job done (I'm now hearing some scuttlebutt with Cam maybe interested in going to Chicago? Hmmm). The Bears sit at 4-5 and are quickly falling out of contention with GB & Minn running away. Interestingly, there's an article that reports that Fox never wanted Trubisky (he was sold on Watson) but the GM never consulted with him and drafted Trubisky anyway!

Last edited:
Crazy, physical game tonight. That fight escalated from Rudolph not liking the tackle he received by Garrett and defending himself trying to I think take Garrett's helmet off and get Garrett off him, to Garrett losing it and into a full blown fight. Wouldn't be surprised if multiple people get fined/suspended. 65's hit on Rudolph from behind was just as uncalled for.

Watch "Browns Steelers FULL FIGHT" on YouTube
View: https://youtu.be/eef-l5pcEIk

Reactions: movingtarget
Crazy, physical game tonight. That fight escalated from Rudolph not liking the tackle he received by Garrett and defending himself trying to I think take Garrett's helmet off and get Garrett off him, to Garrett losing it and into a full blown fight. Wouldn't be surprised if multiple people get fined/suspended. 65's hit on Rudolph from behind was just as uncalled for.

Egregious and uncalled for hitting Rudolph with the helmet. Inexcusable that Garrett would lose his composure with a lousy 8 seconds left and the game in the bag. I would think at least a 6-game suspension and probably Ogunjobi & Pouncey facing suspensions for their role in the incident.

Press conference with Kitchens:

View: https://youtu.be/TX9pGc-KvWU

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Kaep will be taken if an owner thinks they can win with him. The league is about winning with the QB - no matter who it is (nothing new there). Owners want to win and win now, and the more dough they put out to get these hot shot 1st round draft picks the more pressure there is for the QB to win...and win now. I figure for most of the situations the 1st rounder gets to start or play most of his rookie season as an apprenticeship - no pressure to win (e.g., Murray, Jones, Haskins). The second year (barring injury) it's win or it's not looking very good (some rare exceptions with this when Mahomes sat his rookie season behind Smith - though he did start the last game of the season).

Tremendous pressure this year for Mayfield, Allen, Darnold & Jackson. Though Darnold may get some slack because he missed so many games due to illness, next year will certainly be his pressure cooker. Allen has got his club at 6-3 and is looking good (though he needs to avoid getting injured.). Jackson is exceeding expectations with Baltimore at an amazing 7-2. The Ravens look like geniuses drafting Jackson and dumping Flaaco where it's crystal clear now that Elway screwed up big time by taking a QB that's too much of an injury risk despite winning a SB. And Mayfield had better turn it around quickly and get the Browns in playoff contention or he'll be categorized in that bust mode. QBs selected as "thee" #1 overall pick are expected to perform miracles sooner than later (no surprises there and it will be Murray's time next year). And Rosen looks like he should have been taken in the 3rd round - now a backup behind Fitzpatrick! Lol.

Owners really don't care how a QB is playing as long as the teams wins. Look at the situation at Tennessee: Mariota, statistically, wasn't playing that bad but the team was struggling when the Tennessee offense was pathetic losing 16-0 to Denver a month ago. Consequently, Mariota is benched and in comes Tannehill who has won 3 out of the last 4 including that shocker in KC with the Titans right back in the division hunt at 5-5. And this is "Marcus Mariota" we're talking about - a 2nd OA pick and a QB who has taken this team to the playoffs before.

Even the usual sub-par lousy Bengals couldn't take it anymore benching Dalton for Ryan Finley. Lol (I can see the Bengals in the hunt next year for the likes of Tua, Burrow, Herbert, etc.).

You mentioned Trubisky: He' s starting to sway to the bust category. Another 2nd OA pick who's not getting the job done (I'm now hearing some scuttlebutt with Cam maybe interested in going to Chicago? Hmmm). The Bears sit at 4-5 and are quickly falling out of contention with GB & Minn running away. Interestingly, there's an article that reports that Fox never wanted Trubisky (he was sold on Watson) but the GM never consulted with him and drafted Trubisky anyway!

Interesting that the Cardinals and Ravens coaches are basically playing a college offensive scheme to fully incorporate Jackson and Murray and make their transition easier. I think the Bears will rue signing Cam if it happens. Why would anyone sign a veteran QB with injury issues ? Now he is supposed to be having foot surgery which take time to heal properly. There are some good back up QBs around. Bridgewater, Mullens from the 49ers is still raw but has talent plus a few others. Whether they are available is another matter. I think Cam was a good QB but the jury is out now and he has taken plenty of punishment, maybe not as much as Andrew Luck but still. I think the Bears should look at less risky options but even the Bears defense has gone down since Fangio left. But you are right in saying that high draft pick QBs now are expected to be good in their first year, sitting for a season doesn't seem to be the way anymore. I guess after the Browns game, the brakes are about to be pumped on Mason Rudolph as well. The media is quick to hype players and just as quick to right them off it seems. Goff is another one who seems to have slipped and has looked mediocre of late. same with baker Mayfield. The media has piled on Jimmy G after his first loss this season.

Or the kind of luck the Seahawks had so far this season?

Seahawks had that 2012 - 2014. So much went right for them. I don't believe in God but looking at those 3 years, starting and ending with those 2 inexplicable games vs The Packers, what else can it have been?

This year? Looking at it, you have a point.

6 of their 8 wins were coin toss games that could have gone either way.

Browns should have beaten them,
Bengals could have beaten them,
don't remember the Steelers one
Rams one was as close as it gets,
49ers one was even closer.
Tampa Bay was over time.

Their two losses they did get outplayed. Then 2 wins they outplayed the opposition (Arizona and Atlanta) though Atlanta wasn't that far off as well.

Despite this very strong performance though, i don't feel like Hawks are gonna win the SB. 2 superior teams beat them well.

And it still looks possible that they will have to go away to an NFC East team in the first round, despite having a better record.

Garrett should be out for the season. <(that's a period)

NFL punishments;
Garrett suspended indefinitely,
Pouncey suspended 3 games,
Ogunjobi suspended 1 game,
All 3 players will be fined,
Report stated NFL left the door open for all players who left the bench could recieve a fine,
Both organizations fined $250k.

Got to say I agree with the decision though I thought that Rudolph was going to been at least fined for kicking Garrett in the groin, trying to take his helmet off, and reentering the conflict after the 2 OL men separated them. Maybe they felt being hit was payment enough but usually they get both parties envolved and not just the finisher. Nothing has been confirmed by any player or official, but some have speculated he also called Garrett "the hard R" before Garrett swung the helmet. Either way hopefully he is alright and recovers.
Edit: Rudolph is being fined but no suspension as of now.

Last edited:
Sometimes, the luck tips in your favor during the season like with the Seahawks. Kinda like that Dolohins year they went to the playoffs with the games they won were by one possession while the ones they lost were multiple or the Patriots Super Bowls were a tad the other way could have decided the games.

I suspect we'll hear more fines being handed out for more players from that. Otherwise I think the suspension are correct for what occurred. I heard (NFL Network) that Garrett's suspension is definitely the rest of this season (regular season plus playoffs if the Browns make the playoffs) and no idea about longer than that. Sounds like it will be looked at later to decide the full length. I do think they had to go season ending at minimum for swinging the helmet.

You just knew that the NFL would use this fracas to make a point. Multiple suspensions was a must. Losing Garrett was something the Browns didn't need. Only not retaliating saved Rudolph from a suspension. A game he probably wanted to forget before the blow up. Garrett had a brain snap obviously and with so little time left in the game, not even sure why he was so aggressive on the play that led to the problems.

Last edited:

I can imagine how much Rudolph like having a DE tackle him after the pass release; sit on top of him and mock him to his face after their team tore him a new as*hole. I'd want the dude off me and express that very vigorously.
The feeble assertion that he should be suspended comes from one town only.
The really sad part is Cleveland's season is done after losing a good portion of their D-line to a testosterone overload.

Reactions: Koronin
Sometimes, the luck tips in your favor during the season like with the Seahawks. Kinda like that Dolohins year they went to the playoffs with the games they won were by one possession while the ones they lost were multiple or the Patriots Super Bowls were a tad the other way could have decided the games.
I watched all of those games and the type of mistakes Seattle committed were maddening. If the defense had been schemed better, like the 49er game the point differential would have been much different in several of them.

I don't know if the coaching staff just like screwing with the opponents but the Seahawks evolve halfway through each season. The O'line now seems to work and the Defense was pretty effective although the D-back schemes were still vulnerable to a really good QB like Brees or Brady. Garapolo is not there yet and his happy feet was an early tell that his pocket confidence was disappearing. I'd like to think they're going to solidify into a serious team that doesn't rely on QB theatrics alone to win. Hard to say at this point which team in this league is That Team.

Egregious and uncalled for hitting Rudolph with the helmet. Inexcusable that Garrett would lose his composure with a lousy 8 seconds left and the game in the bag. I would think at least a 6-game suspension and probably Ogunjobi & Pouncey facing suspensions for their role in the incident.

Press conference with Kitchens:

View: https://youtu.be/TX9pGc-KvWU
It will usually happen at or near the end of the game tho imo. Especially if the result is already decided.

Thats when the players aren't focused on winning anymore, whoever lost is already angry at the results, and the emotions.

Examples, this game, Superbowl 49 (big end zone brawl as time was expiring) and lots of El Classico games.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I can confirm that Brady receiving something close to what Rudolph received with the late tackle will not exile the individual from the league.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/247KevinBoilard/status/1196191941408559107?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

For most the Patriots aren't looking good yet. I think they need to try hurry up again. Is the only thing that was working for them all year. Gritty and ugly win in Philly. I didn't have that game on just reading highlights. The Pats brought out hurry up start of 3rd.

Ravens are solid AF. If they had this kind of performance on offense against Cheifs they would have won that game too as they has the game plan, just didn't execute. With how Jackson is playing I think they're the main AFC threat now.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a tougher remaining schedule than the 49ers? Next week they play the Packers, at least that’s at home. The following week they play the Ravens, on the road. That’s followed by the Saints, on the road. The next week is Atlanta at home. They finish with the Rams at home and the Seahawks on the road.

The Packers, Saints and Seahawks are all currently tied for second in the NFC, one game behind the 49ers. The Ravens are second in the AFC, and the only team to beat the no. 1 Patriots. That means four of the remaining six games are against some of the best teams in the NFL—all of them are in the running for having the best record in their conference. Any of those games could be epic. The 49ers have the best pass defense in the NFL, and they will be facing Rodgers, Brees and Wilson--and Jackson could be the biggest challenge. The Rams are only 5-4, but as the defending conference champion they must be considered a playoff contender. Only Atlanta has a losing record, but after a miserable start they have absolutely dominated the Saints and the Panthers, and right now are playing like a playoff team, even if it’s too late for them to get there.

The 49ers will be doing well to win four of those six games, finishing 13-3. Whether that’s enough to win their division will probably come down to the final game at Seattle. Meanwhile, the Seahawks have a tough schedule ahead, too, but not as tough as the 49ers. Philly, Minnesota, Rams, Carolina, AZ, 49ers. AZ should be an easy win, even if they just scared SF. Philly and Carolina are good but not great teams. Minnesota is probably their toughest remaining opponent other than the Niners.

Does anyone have a tougher remaining schedule than the 49ers? Next week they play the Packers, at least that’s at home. The following week they play the Ravens, on the road. That’s followed by the Saints, on the road. The next week is Atlanta at home. They finish with the Rams at home and the Seahawks on the road.

The Packers, Saints and Seahawks are all currently tied for second in the NFC, one game behind the 49ers. The Ravens are second in the AFC, and the only team to beat the no. 1 Patriots. That means four of the remaining six games are against some of the best teams in the NFL—all of them are in the running for having the best record in their conference. Any of those games could be epic. The 49ers have the best pass defense in the NFL, and they will be facing Rodgers, Brees and Wilson--and Jackson could be the biggest challenge. The Rams are only 5-4, but as the defending conference champion they must be considered a playoff contender. Only Atlanta has a losing record, but after a miserable start they have absolutely dominated the Saints and the Panthers, and right now are playing like a playoff team, even if it’s too late for them to get there.

The 49ers will be doing well to win four of those six games, finishing 13-3. Whether that’s enough to win their division will probably come down to the final game at Seattle. Meanwhile, the Seahawks have a tough schedule ahead, too, but not as tough as the 49ers. Philly, Minnesota, Rams, Carolina, AZ, 49ers. AZ should be an easy win, even if they just scared SF. Philly and Carolina are good but not great teams. Minnesota is probably their toughest remaining opponent other than the Niners.
Yeah horror run in for the Niners. Cardinals gave them a scare. Niners had an awful first quarter but got the job done eventually. More injuries though. At least Kittle is back next week. He is the rock of their offense. Falcons showing signs of life so that won't be easy for the 49ers either. I think the Green Bay game is a good match up for the 49ers after seeing Green Bay in their past two games. NFC has become as loaded as the Western conference in the NBA. Somehow I don't see the Rams prevailing this year. Can't see three teams progressing from the NFC West.

Texans got spanked which I didn't expect. Patriots game sounded like a struggle.

I can confirm that Brady receiving something close to what Rudolph received with the late tackle will not exile the individual from the league.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/247KevinBoilard/status/1196191941408559107?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

For most the Patriots aren't looking good yet. I think they need to try hurry up again. Is the only thing that was working for them all year. Gritty and ugly win in Philly. I didn't have that game on just reading highlights. The Pats brought out hurry up start of 3rd.

Ravens are solid AF. If they had this kind of performance on offense against Cheifs they would have won that game too as they has the game plan, just didn't execute. With how Jackson is playing I think they're the main AFC threat now.
Watched the Pats game. They struggled on offense, but were so superior on defense, I think if you played this game 10 times, Pats win 8 or 9 out of 10. They moved the ball just enough on Philly, whereas the Eagles really struggled moving the ball.

Only issue for Pats was that Brady hit Eagles a few times but they never caught it so no harm no foul.

Pats should easily get 1 seed, even if they appear at times to struggle. Thats just how defensive teams look sometimes. Eg 2015 Broncos (imo one of the top 5 defenses ever) had lots of close games against apparently weaker teams eg Browns.

Here the Pats pulled through by more than enough. Eagles basically would have needed 1 and a half Hail Mary type plays just to go into OT.

Pats are better than they were last year because last year Pats would have lost this game.

And remember that the apparent juggernaught Ravens are 1 game behind. For pats to have the 2 seed Ravens need to to go undefeated and Pats to lose 1. Ravens still have Browns away (who they lost to at home) Bills away (trap game) Rams away (quite difficult) and 49ers at home.

Pats have home to Dallas-( the goddamn jets beat Dallas at home) away to a Houston (difficult but winable) home to Bills (trap game) and home to KC (i wont rule out KC here).

Though , i do think Ravens can go to New England and win (theyve done so before and played it close twice).
But will they be able to win BOTH KC at home and NE away if they get the 2 seed. not easy.

The other worry is that Jackson is playing fast and loose with his body. I like him doing runs when its 3rd and 6 and a tied game. 1st and 10 27-7 up, take it easy Lamar. The hopes of the world outside Boston are on you

Watched the Pats game. They struggled on offense, but were so superior on defense, I think if you played this game 10 times, Pats win 8 or 9 out of 10. They moved the ball just enough on Philly, whereas the Eagles really struggled moving the ball.

Only issue for Pats was that Brady hit Eagles a few times but they never caught it so no harm no foul.

Pats should easily get 1 seed, even if they appear at times to struggle. Thats just how defensive teams look sometimes. Eg 2015 Broncos (imo one of the top 5 defenses ever) had lots of close games against apparently weaker teams eg Browns.

Here the Pats pulled through by more than enough. Eagles basically would have needed 1 and a half Hail Mary type plays just to go into OT.

Pats are better than they were last year because last year Pats would have lost this game.

And remember that the apparent juggernaught Ravens are 1 game behind. For pats to have the 2 seed Ravens need to to go undefeated and Pats to lose 1. Ravens still have Browns away (who they lost to at home) Bills away (trap game) Rams away (quite difficult) and 49ers at home.

Pats have home to Dallas-( the goddamn jets beat Dallas at home) away to a Houston (difficult but winable) home to Bills (trap game) and home to KC (i wont rule out KC here).

Though , i do think Ravens can go to New England and win (theyve done so before and played it close twice).
But will they be able to win BOTH KC at home and NE away if they get the 2 seed. not easy.

The other worry is that Jackson is playing fast and loose with his body. I like him doing runs when its 3rd and 6 and a tied game. 1st and 10 27-7 up, take it easy Lamar. The hopes of the world outside Boston are on you

I would take the Patriots offense from last year over this one. The OL hasn't been doing good on protection, receivers haven't been getting separation leading to tight windows, and Brady doesn't seem to have faith in any WR besides Edelman. I believe it was an article I read, because I haven't been able to watch any Patriots game being on west coast, that said Brady hasn't been looking at receivers when they're running open as he doesn't trust them so I don't know how much stock is in that.
Edit, Rex Ryan does a better job than I of wording and describing it.

I just hope for a competitive playoffs and Patriots vs Saints/Packers.

Last edited:

Are you complaining about the schedule of a team where the first 8 games were not tough at all?

Yeah horror run in for the Niners. Cardinals gave them a scare. Niners had an awful first quarter but got the job done eventually. More injuries though. At least Kittle is back next week. He is the rock of their offense. Falcons showing signs of life so that won't be easy for the 49ers either. I think the Green Bay game is a good match up for the 49ers after seeing Green Bay in their past two games. NFC has become as loaded as the Western conference in the NBA. Somehow I don't see the Rams prevailing this year. Can't see three teams progressing from the NFC West.

Texans got spanked which I didn't expect. Patriots game sounded like a struggle.
Pats/Iggles was a struggle to watch, since I'd hoped Philly would prevail. Wentz missed the area code of his receivers in stretches. They shoulda won and made the Seattle game that much more interesting.

Kaep will be taken if an owner thinks they can win with him.
I think you're right. But I also think he blew a real opportunity on Saturday. By acting like the whole thing was rigged, even if it partly was, and insisting he do it his way and only show his skills at a high school miles away may have sealed his fate. What am I saying? It's that while he is good, he's likely to come off as a distraction that staff cannot control, even if he's not uttering controversial statements about the police or racial inequality. I italicized only because if he felt he wanted the workout to be public, he easily could have done things the NFL's way on Saturday, then walked out of the stadium saying he'd have another workout for the public at a future time.
The Ravens look like geniuses drafting Jackson and dumping Flaaco where it's crystal clear now that Elway screwed up big time by taking a QB that's too much of an injury risk despite winning a SB.
It wasn't just injuries, Flacco hasn't been making good throws for a few years. Why on earth Elway was so convinced he'd get the same Flacco he was back in 2012 is beyond me. I even posted this just when the deal was made.
Seahawks had that 2012 - 2014. So much went right for them. I don't believe in God but looking at those 3 years, starting and ending with those 2 inexplicable games vs The Packers, what else can it have been?
I do believe in God, and God doesn't change sports outcomes, sorry. This was a mix of coincidence, happenstance, skill, and luck. It's not called a game of inches for nothing.

Regarding the Garrett incident, I'm curious why the NFL is so quick to hand out punishment when something like this happens, but when a player is involved in domestic violence, they hem and haw, or in some cases sit on their hands and wait? I agree Rudolph likely should have missed a game as well. I'll also echo what I said a few weeks ago in that I don't think the Browns, despite playing a very good game, are that disciplined of a team, and I think that falls on Kitchens. I'm not saying Garrett isn't at fault here, nor that if they had Tom Landry as their coach they'd never have a single problem, but I just think Freddie isn't that good of a head coach.

Very impressive win by Baltimore, once again. Jackson beating teams with his feet, and his arm as well with plenty of nice throws and good decisions.

TRENDING THREADS