• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 454 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cam to Seattle I will believe when I see it. The Clowney decision still pending but the consensus seems to be that he won't be returning. There are multiple reasons for teams not taking Cam and number one at the moment would be injuries and price. for a back up. Until recently he was also saying that he will only accept a starting job. Strange thing to say for someone who wants to play and has been off the field for so long. Then you have his attitude which can be pretty up and down, putting it mildly. Not sure the locker room needs that. The Cowboys made a wiser move probably by picking up Dalton..............as a back up..........cough. I also think the Panthers made the right move at QB.

Cam to Seattle I will believe when I see it. The Clowney decision still pending but the consensus seems to be that he won't be returning. There are multiple reasons for teams not taking Cam and number one at the moment would be injuries and price. for a back up. Until recently he was also saying that he will only accept a starting job. Strange thing to say for someone who wants to play and has been off the field for so long. Then you have his attitude which can be pretty up and down, putting it mildly. Not sure the locker room needs that. The Cowboys made a wiser move probably by picking up Dalton..............as a back up..........cough. I also think the Panthers made the right move at QB.
Thank God Seattle signed Geno Smith today. Couldn't bear the possibility.

On another note...one of our new players decided to supplement his income idiotically. CB Quinton Dunbar and DeAndre Baker thought it would be profitable to pull guns on folks at a party and rob them. Yeah, so....of course no one would ID them; right? Warrants in Florida (alot of stupid stuff happens there) for them.

Reactions: jmdirt
Thank God Seattle signed Geno Smith today. Couldn't bear the possibility.

On another note...one of our new players decided to supplement his income idiotically. CB Quinton Dunbar and DeAndre Baker thought it would be profitable to pull guns on folks at a party and rob them. Yeah, so....of course no one would ID them; right? Warrants in Florida (alot of stupid stuff happens there) for them.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...clear-seahawks-quinton-dunbar-alleged-robbery .

I hadn't seen the G Smith news. IMO he is a good QB2. His NFL career hasn't been much (yet), but I think that this is a solid move for SEA.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
According to this BBC article they (plus one other dude) took $12,000 in cash and about $25,000 worth of watches (must have been just one Rolex), and then drove off in a Mercedes Benz, a Lamborghini and a BMW - did they really need the extra income? I'm confusion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52692098

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
According to this BBC article they (plus one other dude) took $12,000 in cash and about $25,000 worth of watches (must have been just one Rolex), and then drove off in a Mercedes Benz, a Lamborghini and a BMW - did they really need the extra income? I'm confusion.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52692098
This sounds like the end of a drunken gambling spree gone bad. The NFL will need to respond....oh, that won't happen as no one died.
It does look like Seattle will be down one CB. Can they get their money back?

In this day and age of instant and unverified news I hesitate to jump to conclusions, but his take sounds very feasible.

I'm having a kick reading the arrest warrants, some amusing questions and scenarios immediately pop up. Questions such as: who was the cheapo with only $600 in cash and the knock-off watch? And, who was the fatty in the kitchen stuffing his face while all this was going down? Also, the guy with the $7,000 in cash on him and wearing the $25,000 watch... I'm sure having a gun pointed at him the minute he entered the house must not have felt very welcoming.

I'm sure this wasn't amusing to the party attendees at the time, but thankfully at least nobody got hurt.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/c...0200515-cwq7hopwnjh7vaf3xwgro433fm-story.html

Last edited:
The irony is that Ron Rivera was made out to be some kind of genius, because he traded Dunbar before this happened. Except that a day or two later, Cody Latimer, another Washington player who is still on the team (so far), has been arrested in a shooting incident. I guess Rivera really has no more insight into his players's character than any other coach.

The irony is that Ron Rivera was made out to be some kind of genius, because he traded Dunbar before this happened. Except that a day or two later, Cody Latimer, another Washington player who is still on the team (so far), has been arrested in a shooting incident. I guess Rivera really has no more insight into his players's character than any other coach.
Not really sure what Rivera would know about Latimer (or Dunbar for that matter). Don't think he's coached either before. Also, while Rivera is certainly going to have a big say in player personnel right now (they currently have a vacancy for a GM), it's not strictly his job

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
This would be totally weird:

CGI fans? Artificial crowd noise? :rolleyes:

What technicians are going to control this? If there's a blown call against the home team is there going to be deafening noise from the crowds? What about noisy venues like CenturyLink & Arrowhead where crowd noise can cause the visiting team to burn a TO? (would a team be forced to use a TO because of the artificially created noise by the computer would dictate the team burn a TO in that situation).

What technicians are going to control this? If there's a blown call against the home team is there going to be deafening noise from the crowds? What about noisy venues like CenturyLink & Arrowhead where crowd noise can cause the visiting team to burn a TO? (would a team be forced to use a TO because of the artificially created noise by the computer would dictate the team burn a TO in that situation).

There are different levels of weird of course but these fans fans at least were practicing social distancing..................

Wow! Governors of several major states, including CA (3 NFL teams) and NY (1 NFL teams, but two others very close by) say they are ready to allow pro sports (without fans), as early as June. This seems like a big change in particular for CA Governor Gavin Newsome, who was saying before he thought it doubtful that pro sports would be allowed in CA before the late fall, if then. Maybe he just meant with fans.

Even Michigan's Gretchen Whitmer, a strong proponent of lockdowns, is on board with this (but, hey, would we really care if the Lions didn't play?)

https://sports.yahoo.com/let-them-p...ts-to-return-sooner-than-later-213319260.html

I still don't know how football is going to be played, with all the physical contact, when any positive test puts an entire team, and maybe its opponent, at risk. But MLB has recently announced rules in which a player's testing positive will not require the entire team to be quarantined. Here are baseball's proposed rules:

• Players and on-site personnel will be tested multiple times a week, using an MLB-owned lab that previously conducted PED tests.
  • Should anyone show any symptoms, they will be immediately tested, regardless of the regularly planned testing schedule
  • Additionally, anyone who has been in contact with any individual who tests positive at any point will immediately be tested as well
  • Anyone testing positive will be quarantined, effective immediately, until they have tested negative twice in a one-day span

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/covid-19...-testing-plan/

However, other baseball rules are clearly far stricter than anythingfootball is going to be able to manage:

During games, non-playing personnel must wear masks in the dugout and may be relegated to the stadium seats, where they must sit at least four seats apart from and two rows behind each other. Once a baseball has been put in play and touched by multiple players, it’ll be tossed aside and replaced with a new one. Between pitches, players are encouraged to be as distanced from one another as possible.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/covid-19-roundup-mlb-organizes-health-protocols-for-2020-season/

Last edited:

We already know Seattle pipes in crowd noise through the stadium speakers, right? So what's so different about this?

That was a total joke, if not obvious. ;)

I think games are going to come off all right, I don't know about the entire season, but some, but I think they will be played in nearly empty stadiums. At first the stadiums may be completely empty, until they figure out some sort of screening process to get some fans in there. In baseball this could be easy in Miami, as barely 10,000 people showed up per game on average.

We already know Seattle pipes in crowd noise through the stadium speakers, right? So what's so different about this?

That was a total joke, if not obvious. ;)

I think games are going to come off all right, I don't know about the entire season, but some, but I think they will be played in nearly empty stadiums. At first the stadiums may be completely empty, until they figure out some sort of screening process to get some fans in there. In baseball this could be easy in Miami, as barely 10,000 people showed up per game on average.

But with no noise we can hear the players talking s**t to the other.

Flacco to the Jets on a 1-yr deal:

This is strange: Flacco is coming off of neck surgery last month and won't be cleared for contact until the start of the season. If the season starts on time, I don't see how he would be ready as the backup for the opening game. And how durable is he at 35 with a neck issue? Looks like they weren't interested in re-signing Siemian who's coming off of major ankle surgery from that horrific injury last year. I guess 4th round pick James Morgan & David Fales will compete for the 3rd spot?

Flacco to the Jets on a 1-yr deal:

This is strange: Flacco is coming off of neck surgery last month and won't be cleared for contact until the start of the season. If the season starts on time, I don't see how he would be ready as the backup for the opening game. And how durable is he at 35 with a neck issue? Looks like they weren't interested in re-signing Siemian who's coming off of major ankle surgery from that horrific injury last year. I guess 4th round pick James Morgan & David Fales will compete for the 3rd spot?
I thought he would have retired but then I thought Alex Smith was going to retire as well...........

TRENDING THREADS