• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 455 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Didn't know that the Hawks signed RB Carlos Hyde. he's been all over the league since he left the 49ers. In 2015 I thought he was heading for big things but he never reached the level I thought he would. He seemed to go okay for the Texans last year. Probably better than the RB they picked up in the Hopkins trade.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
Didn't know that the Hawks signed RB Carlos Hyde. he's been all over the league since he left the 49ers. In 2015 I thought he was heading for big things but he never reached the level I thought he would. He seemed to go okay for the Texans last year. Probably better than the RB they picked up in the Hopkins trade.
As a fan I'm glad they have someone that can take a hit and add depth. Anyone know how his blocking skills worked?

As a fan I'm glad they have someone that can take a hit and add depth. Anyone know how his blocking skills worked?
I have not seen any recent scout reports on Hyde. The most recent ones I've seen are a little over 2 years old. But his worst skill by far has been pass protection, and it has been that ever since he entered the NFL. He's about age 30 now, so as of 2018 he had not developed that skill very well, and I suspect that is still the case.
He’s slow to diagnose extra rushers and green-doggers (delayed blitzers); lunges at targets, often causing him to fall off blocks; and fits his hands wide and fails to secure. Making matters worse is an apparent unwillingness to engage defensive lineman, as he’ll either shy into contact with, or opt to cut, them.
https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com...ent-scouting-report-running-back-carlos-hyde/
The same report says he is willing to engage blitzing linebackers & safeties (or otherwise, that sort of light body). So unwillingness to take on DTs is a head thing.

Still, he's a big body and adept runner with good vision and elusiveness. He should be durable enough, especially in a backup role with a smaller workload. He's not going to run away from the whole field, but Seattle has had too many brittle backs. So I'm glad Seattle got him. I probably would rather have had Marshawn Lynch again for his strong blocking and pass catching abilities, but there just did not seem to be any movement on a contract there. In fact, Carlos Hyde's signing with Seattle probably ends any chance of Lynch returning to Seattle (or to the league for that matter).

I have not seen any recent scout reports on Hyde. The most recent ones I've seen are a little over 2 years old. But his worst skill by far has been pass protection, and it has been that ever since he entered the NFL. He's about age 30 now, so as of 2018 he had not developed that skill very well, and I suspect that is still the case.

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com...ent-scouting-report-running-back-carlos-hyde/
The same report says he is willing to engage blitzing linebackers & safeties (or otherwise, that sort of light body). So unwillingness to take on DTs is a head thing.

Still, he's a big body and adept runner with good vision and elusiveness. He should be durable enough, especially in a backup role with a smaller workload. He's not going to run away from the whole field, but Seattle has had too many brittle backs. So I'm glad Seattle got him. I probably would rather have had Marshawn Lynch again for his strong blocking and pass catching abilities, but there just did not seem to be any movement on a contract there. In fact, Carlos Hyde's signing with Seattle probably ends any chance of Lynch returning to Seattle (or to the league for that matter).
We can hold out hope for Marshawn. He was a full package guy and a great receiver to boot. My guess is Carlos will learn to block; somewhat. It definitely diminishes an option offense when it's known that the back blocking is weak. That said I don't know of any back that wants to take on a DL except Lynch.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Well, one thing about Marshawn, he could come in anytime and be nearly 100% ready to go.

The latest buzz? I'm going to cover my eyes and clench, grit or otherwise grind my teeth (like seeing a head-on crash coming). Flash Gordon not returning to Seattle opens up a roster spot (that is, if we ignore WRs drafted or inked as UFAs). That's fine with me. But this: there's a rumor AB might be signed by Seattle (AB is working with Geno Smith). o_O At least I've not he's working with Russ Wilson, yet.

Reactions: jmdirt
Well, one thing about Marshawn, he could come in anytime and be nearly 100% ready to go.

The latest buzz? I'm going to cover my eyes and clench, grit or otherwise grind my teeth (like seeing a head-on crash coming). Flash Gordon not returning to Seattle opens up a roster spot (that is, if we ignore WRs drafted or inked as UFAs). That's fine with me. But this: there's a rumor AB might be signed by Seattle (AB is working with Geno Smith). o_O At least I've not he's working with Russ Wilson, yet.
AB has apologized in the press to NE, Oakland and is still not getting a call. Seattle can't need another receiver that badly. Please

AB has apologized in the press to NE, Oakland and is still not getting a call. Seattle can't need another receiver that badly. Please
That's my sentiment too. But if they go there, Carroll has demonstrated ability to work simultaneously with multiple strong personalities (Thomas, Sherman, Bennett). He has also demonstrated not putting up with cancers, cutting them if they get too far out of line (Harvin at mid season). Also, while Russ is unflappable, he's not averse to cutting cancers either.

To hit on the SEA posts above:
-Hyde had 1,000+ yards last year.
-BM could still be added.
-NO AB PLEASE!
I didn't see many Texans games but the ones I did see, Hyde was going well. He had some injury issues at the 49ers but that's par for the course with most RBs anyway. Amazing how players like Gore keep going after two knee surgeries in college ! Gurley's career though probably won't be returning to the heights of his first few seasons. Arthritis in the knee doesn't do much good for RBs. Even Elliott had gone off the boil as well. The Panthers RB McCaffrey was clearly the best RB last season along with Henry.

So Jadeveon turned down a offer from Cleveland and still won't sign with Seattle...he and the SEA coaches might know something about his injury recovery timeline. They're willing to pay for what he can do, not what he'd hope to do?
I had not heard that one. But I think Seattle has moved on from Clowney, which is why I think Bruce Irvin was brought back. Thankfully Seattle has a track record for not overpaying, and I think Clowney's stock with Seattle is dropping. Meaning that if Seattle does sign him it will be for less money than they offered originally. At this point, I hope Seattle just lets him go.

I doubt Seattle has the cap space to make a big splash like Clowney now without letting someone else go (KJ Wright is the only realistic possibility and given the choice between the two I think they stick with Wright). Clowney has effectively been replaced by the two draft picks plus Mayowa plus Irvin (who will probably play LB on base downs). They still need to find a 3rd receiver (could be Gordon) and they will probably add a veteran nose tackle to replace Al Woods in the rotation

I doubt Seattle has the cap space to make a big splash like Clowney now without letting someone else go (KJ Wright is the only realistic possibility and given the choice between the two I think they stick with Wright). Clowney has effectively been replaced by the two draft picks plus Mayowa plus Irvin (who will probably play LB on base downs). They still need to find a 3rd receiver (could be Gordon) and they will probably add a veteran nose tackle to replace Al Woods in the rotation
That all seems logical. They did have a substantial offer to JC earlier and profess to being open to his return. That said; his stock seems to be in decline and a slow injury recovery was a guess at what rumor would drive that. I'd agree at this point moving on is best for SEA.

There's a difference between Clowney and Irvin though in that JC is potentially an every down disrupter, IF he's healthy. At Irvin's best he is a dynamic guy who can get to the QB, and sometimes cover at or near the line of scrimmage. My guess tells me Pete will use Irvin in situations that call for a blitzing LB, not as an edge rusher. Bruce's days playing that role on an every down basis are likely over, and he himself said he was more of a "polished" player, which I translate to mean he knows he will play a role. Bruce has always been a team player, is likely well liked in Seattle, and should do good. They "only" paid $5.9 mil for him.

With this I simply wouldn't compare the two. But Clowney simply isn't worth $20m a year, and Seattle knows that. My understanding of him turning Cleveland down had to do with playing in Cleveland, not the money, so maybe Seattle will sign him yet at the $16m or so max they offered. Even that seems on the high end, and my gut just tells me he will land somewhere else.

Adam of NFL.com says Seattle will struggle this year. He makes some good points in this article, saying the division is so tough already, the 49ers actually found a way to improve (certainly if Dee Ford's knee really does heal), and Arizona is on the rise where Hopkins could be just explosive in that offense, and the Rams still have a lot of talent and a deep roster. meaning a little slip by Seattle will translate into a sub-par season. I think by sub-par he means 9-7 maybe? He doesn't give a number.

Fun predictions from Adam.
-I dislike it when anyone says "they don't have a proven..." so what, studs pop up every year. Kittle wasn't proven, had a solid rook season, and then blew the league up two years in a row (since Adam was talking about TEs).
-Stafford won't lead the league in passing yards (even if he does, DET will be 8-8).
-SEA goes 11-5 and SB champs!

I had not heard that one. But I think Seattle has moved on from Clowney, which is why I think Bruce Irvin was brought back. Thankfully Seattle has a track record for not overpaying, and I think Clowney's stock with Seattle is dropping. Meaning that if Seattle does sign him it will be for less money than they offered originally. At this point, I hope Seattle just lets him go.
He had three sacks last season so he might be over pricing himself ! Something like 33 sacks in six years. But then Dak wants to be the top paid QB in the league. Making the playoffs from one of the weakest divisions might help........I guess Mahomes next contract will reset the QB market even if it is team friendly. The youngest SB winning QB of all time probably knows his worth and his agent will keep reminding him !

There's a difference between Clowney and Irvin though in that JC is potentially an every down disrupter, IF he's healthy. At Irvin's best he is a dynamic guy who can get to the QB, and sometimes cover at or near the line of scrimmage. My guess tells me Pete will use Irvin in situations that call for a blitzing LB, not as an edge rusher. Bruce's days playing that role on an every down basis are likely over, and he himself said he was more of a "polished" player, which I translate to mean he knows he will play a role. Bruce has always been a team player, is likely well liked in Seattle, and should do good. They "only" paid $5.9 mil for him.

With this I simply wouldn't compare the two. But Clowney simply isn't worth $20m a year, and Seattle knows that. My understanding of him turning Cleveland down had to do with playing in Cleveland, not the money, so maybe Seattle will sign him yet at the $16m or so max they offered. Even that seems on the high end, and my gut just tells me he will land somewhere else.

Adam of NFL.com says Seattle will struggle this year. He makes some good points in this article, saying the division is so tough already, the 49ers actually found a way to improve (certainly if Dee Ford's knee really does heal), and Arizona is on the rise where Hopkins could be just explosive in that offense, and the Rams still have a lot of talent and a deep roster. meaning a little slip by Seattle will translate into a sub-par season. I think by sub-par he means 9-7 maybe? He doesn't give a number.
Toughest division in the league, could be more so if the Cardinals improve as many expect. I think it might be a bit early yet for the Cardinals. Not sure I see the Rams getting better this season. The new RBs might help but their defense was pretty bad last season and Goff also slipped backwards. Teams seemed to figure out the Rams after their big season the year before but Gurley's form also hurt them and he was a big part of their offense. I still think the Niners and Hawks will probably finish on top.

Dee Ford has ongoing tendonitis which usually only gets better with rest. He had a lot of time off with Kansas as well but many 49ers observers seem to think it will be his last season with the Niners. The pectoral injury to Kwon Alexander didn't help the Niners either especially in the playoffs. They also lost Jones at LB for the second half of the season and he was playing great before he was hurt. Their defense wasn't quite the same in the second half of the season but obviously with Bosa, Buckner and co they still almost got the trophy. Ten minutes of mediocre football and Mahomes had too much of the ball in his hands in the final quarter. Game over. How much they will miss Buckner and maybe even Sanders remains to be seen even though the new guys look good on paper.

While JC has turned down a Browns offer, this B/R report makes pretty good argument for why JC should sign with the Browns.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-on-chance-to-play-with-myles-garrett-browns

Joe Lockhart, former Clinton press secretary and communications director for the NFL, has just confirmed what so many assumed, but was never stated for the record: that all the NFL owners refused to hire Kaepernick because he was considered bad for business, not because he wasn't capable of playing for some team. Right after the murder in Minneapolis, Kaep's campaign is looking better than ever. I won't comment more, mindful of the ban on political posts, but I wonder if this increases in any little way his chances of getting a job. Goodell issued a statement in sympathy, but was called out for the hypocrisy by a couple of players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/in-light-o...ended-colin-kaepernicks-career-175616379.html

Joe Lockhart, former Clinton press secretary and communications director for the NFL, has just confirmed what so many assumed, but was never stated for the record: that all the NFL owners refused to hire Kaepernick because he was considered bad for business, not because he wasn't capable of playing for some team. Right after the murder in Minneapolis, Kaep's campaign is looking better than ever. I won't comment more, mindful of the ban on political posts, but I wonder if this increases in any little way his chances of getting a job. Goodell issued a statement in sympathy, but was called out for the hypocrisy by a couple of players.

https://sports.yahoo.com/in-light-o...ended-colin-kaepernicks-career-175616379.html
Three seasons since he played. To be honest I would be surprised if it happened. Even Cam doesn't seem to be wanted at the moment. If there was ever a time for Kaep to enter politics seriously it would be now but he doesn't seem to want it. His book should sell well when it eventually appears.

Three seasons since he played. To be honest I would be surprised if it happened. Even Cam doesn't seem to be wanted at the moment. If there was ever a time for Kaep to enter politics seriously it would be now but he doesn't seem to want it. His book should sell well when it eventually appears.
I hope history treats him with the respect he deserves for having principles. He may not have known where it would take him but he deserves any benefit that may come from being That Guy.
The NFL....they have always been selective and politically slippery when financial matters are at play. He created risk for the owners they can't manage and fear a repeat. They should.

I waited a while to talk about DB's comments because I wanted to let it tumble in my mind for a while and not be 'hot', but I haven't really changed my mind: that was an asshat statement! Maybe what bothers me more than his words, is that he either didn't listen, or he only heard what he wanted (or a little of both maybe) when all of that was taking place. That thought makes me question who he really is. Hopefully his biggest offense here is arrogance and ignorance!

Yes, he has done great things for his community and organizations, but that doesn't give him a free ticket...

STOP! :hushed:

I waited a while to talk about DB's comments because I wanted to let it tumble in my mind for a while and not be 'hot', but I haven't really changed my mind: that was an asshat statement! Maybe what bothers me more than his words, is that he either didn't listen, or he only heard what he wanted (or a little of both maybe) when all of that was taking place. That thought makes me question who he really is. Hopefully his biggest offense here is arrogance and ignorance!

Yes, he has done great things for his community and organizations, but that doesn't give him a free ticket...

I'd defer to the opinions of his teammates and fellow NO citizens, assuming he is in touch with local real people that have suffered a lot of disaster impacts as well as racial polarity. I would say he's guilty of not discussing his mindset with those same, relevant folks before opening his mouth on race.
That plays to your nod to arrogance and ignorance at least.

I'd defer to the opinions of his teammates and fellow NO citizens, assuming he is in touch with local real people that have suffered a lot of disaster impacts as well as racial polarity. I would say he's guilty of not discussing his mindset with those same, relevant folks before opening his mouth on race.
That plays to your nod to arrogance and ignorance at least.
I agree with you, but for him to repeat that false rhetoric...

What's worse, an honest opinion whether it's an unpopular one or not or a hollow apology ? Celebrity apologies never ring true and they are more about protecting their brand and quietening the controversy. These days I just wait for the apology that you know is coming. Little wonder that many prefer not to take a stance but now they are being called out for that as well. As for the media well pick your poison.............

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS