• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 456 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A fake apology to save the brand is worse. The problem with his honest opinion though is that it is based on false rhetoric, and he knows that.
Never understood the flag business. Some people even question why there is a need for it before sporting events at all. Maybe the Olympic Games and World Titles fair enough. Years ago in Commonwealth countries like the UK and Australia they played the national anthem in cinemas before the movie started and everyone stood of course. It stopped in the late 60s I think. And of course the end of the TV viewing for the day ended with the national anthem as well in the days when TV ended at midnight. It all seems so odd now. Flags are symbols. Why anyone would want to dictate to others how they should react to flag ceremonies is strange. Some veterans have never been to war reunions or marched in parades etc and no one thinks any less of them for choosing not to get involved.

Never understood the flag business. Some people even question why there is a need for it before sporting events at all. Maybe the Olympic Games and World Titles fair enough. Years ago in Commonwealth countries like the UK and Australia they played the national anthem in cinemas before the movie started and everyone stood of course. It stopped in the late 60s I think. And of course the end of the TV viewing for the day ended with the national anthem as well in the days when TV ended at midnight. It all seems so odd now. Flags are symbols. Why anyone would want to dictate to others how they should react to flag ceremonies is strange. Some veterans have never been to war reunions or marched in parades etc and no one thinks any less of them for choosing not to get involved.
Agree. IMO people have a discombobulated, romantic ideal of what patriotism is. I'll leave it at that because more discussion of what I mean will definitely crash several rules.

Also without getting into any detail, I have fulfilled my 'patriotic duty', and help others who have done the same. I can tell you that parades aren't celebrations for many, they are reminders.

EDIT: IMO requiring/expecting someone to observe the flag in your way is the greatest disrespect.

EDIT 2: I was just watching various protests and saw many people with USA flags tied around their necks like capes...is that respecting the flag? I mean if that's how they respect it, that's their right, but hmm...

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
DB pushed back on the prez' tweet by saying that after he talked to his teammates... In my mind he really needs to quit digging. On one hand I like that he was willing to counter the prez, but on the other, he admitted that he didn't pay attention to what his teammates were saying for years, and only now understands.

In the 60s & 70s in the US we had much racial unrest, concern about war and environmental degradation. People protested in ever-growing opposition to the Vietnam war and Richard Nixon's administration highlighted the fact that protestors displayed the flag upside down in their attempt to challenge the President's US and World view. It became Nixon's dog whistle issue and escalated to flag burnings and incarceration of citizens. Every year or so a specific US Party trots out legislation to outlaw "flag disrespect" to emphasize a specific view of patriotism. The NFL always had a head-down view of all issues and began honoring troops programmatically during the Gulf, Afghan and subsequent conflicts to the support of most. The Kaepernick trend totally caught them off guard.
2020 is becoming a time-warp for a lot of us. But this is about US football and we may want to stay real specific.

DB pushed back on the prez' tweet by saying that after he talked to his teammates... In my mind he really needs to quit digging. On one hand I like that he was willing to counter the prez, but on the other, he admitted that he didn't pay attention to what his teammates were saying for years, and only now understands.
Yes I think it's time to stop the commentary for Brees. He can't disown his original comments completely and should leave it that. Hopefully the Saints can reconnect their locker room before the season is in full swing. The NFL will be keeping a close eye on how the NBA copes with the virus issues but it seems for the Saints it's always something , always issues of some type compared to many other teams. I thought they should have kept Bridgewater but that was probably a money issue. To me Brady, Rodgers and Brees also Ben have all dropped off in their quality of play and Rivers was a glaring example. All of them up there in years now and all of them need a good next season. Brady in a new system should be interesting at least and the Buccs seem to have some good raw material on the offense to play with. Winston cost them badly last year but as usual he was a mix of brilliance and mediocrity within each game !

Reactions: jmdirt
Yes I think it's time to stop the commentary for Brees. He can't disown his original comments completely and should leave it that. Hopefully the Saints can reconnect their locker room before the season is in full swing. The NFL will be keeping a close eye on how the NBA copes with the virus issues but it seems for the Saints it's always something , always issues of some type compared to many other teams. I thought they should have kept Bridgewater but that was probably a money issue. To me Brady, Rodgers and Brees also Ben have all dropped off in their quality of play and Rivers was a glaring example. All of them up there in years now and all of them need a good next season. Brady in a new system should be interesting at least and the Buccs seem to have some good raw material on the offense to play with. Winston cost them badly last year but as usual he was a mix of brilliance and mediocrity within each game !
Jams hurt the Bucs last year with 50 ints! The crazy twist here is that if there is a locker room mutiny against DB, Jams will be the QB in NOLA! :laughing:

You'd wonder if they are testing constantly for C19 if they are also monitoring everything else? Solves a PR problem if they were; mandatory quarantine is a lot more palatable to the League.

I'd be surprised if the NFL season went ahead. Just about every country that has reopened partially or more is now recording new cases. The protest marches and other group activities are just making it worse. A full body contact sport like the NFL will be very hard to control re the virus. Schools are also reporting new cases and it's the teacher catching it from the children it seems. How many new infections will it take to shut down the NBA and NFL again ? That's if they start up in the first place. The Japanese are even talking about a scaled back version of the Olympics next year. Nascar seems safe !

I'd be surprised if the NFL season went ahead. Just about every country that has reopened partially or more is now recording new cases. The protest marches and other group activities are just making it worse. A full body contact sport like the NFL will be very hard to control re the virus. Schools are also reporting new cases and it's the teacher catching it from the children it seems. How many new infections will it take to shut down the NBA and NFL again ? That's if they start up in the first place. The Japanese are even talking about a scaled back version of the Olympics next year. Nascar seems safe !

Not good news for the older crowd, specifically Brady. I hope that we can get back to normal though.

Supercross has been going good for a few weeks now!

Isn't an ironic sign of the times that NASCAR is the safest option?
If the NFL doesn't play this year, do you think Brady would retire?

No, not at all but his TB12 method can only last so long. I am looking forward to this year and for him to show people that doubted him are wrong. I think he is dead set on retiring minimum of 45 but I won't be suprised if he tries for longer. He says till he knows he sucks he will keep on playing, I think he enjoys football too much for it to start becoming a grind. The only other thing stopping him is his family. He's not getting younger and as a Dolphins fan he has won me over so hope he succeeds except versus MIA.

Football throwing wise I don't think enough people are even thinking of how playing in NE weather can help him as he gets older either. He has already learned how to work with less reliability throwing the ball from terrible weather like Farve in GB. Plus compared to other quarterbacks his throwing motion is phenomenal and he gets his whole body into it creating less stress on his body vs someone like Farve or Rodgers who have that amazing arm strength. Otherwise his mind is still sharp since he does mind games and he's still working on his footwork and leg strength.

The year just has to start. >.<

Last edited:
49ers WR Deebo Samuel has broken his foot on the training field. Not great news for the Niners. Better now than later I guess ! His rookie year had a scratchy start with a few dropped balls but he picked up his game quickly and had a very good year. 49ers have some WRs returning from injury plus their rookie Aiyuk so there should be good competition for spots on the squad.

Seattle is now down 2 receivers with Josh Gordon out (forever?) and TE Ed Dickson. Good time not to be playing.
They don't need Flash. I had pretty much counted him out. As to TE Dickson, he was released in March. But I think you meant rookie 4th round pick from Stanford, Colby Parkinson, who recently broke the 5th metatarsal in his foot. If the NFL plays, Seattle may be without Colby by the time league play starts. Colby has already had surgery, but this particular break can take much longer than 8 weeks to heal. Seattle is deep at TE though (Olsen, Dissly, Willson, Parkinson, Hollister, and 2 other rooks, not to mention SEA took LSU's Stephen Sullivan who played some TE in college but was drafted as a WR), and means Like Willson could make the cut. Rookie WR Swain could impress, so not to worry.

Last edited:
They don't need Flash. I had pretty much counted him out. As to TE Dickson, he was released in March. But I think you meant rookie 4th round pick from Stanford, Colby Parkinson, who recently broke the 5th metatarsal in his foot. If the NFL plays, Seattle may be without Colby by the time league play starts. Colby has already had surgery, but this particular break can take much longer than 8 weeks to heal. Seattle is deep at TE though (Olsen, Dissly, Willson, Parkinson, Hollister, and 2 other rooks, not to mention LSU took Stephen Sullivan who played some TE in college but was drafted as a WR), and means Like Willson could make the cut. RookiSwain Swain could impress, so not to worry.
I was pretty impressed by Hollister plus they should have their RBs fit and well again along with Carlos Hyde. I really thought the 49ers were going to pick up Metcalf in the draft as they needed a WR at the time. Shame the Niners couldn't hang onto Sanders but of course it came down to money but he was good while he was there. NO will make use of him. The big question in the NFC West is how much are the Cardinals going to improve by ? There doesn't seem to be much belief in the Rams at this point even though they didn't miss the playoffs by much.

I was pretty impressed by Hollister plus they should have their RBs fit and well again along with Carlos Hyde. I really thought the 49ers were going to pick up Metcalf in the draft as they needed a WR at the time. Shame the Niners couldn't hang onto Sanders but of course it came down to money but he was good while he was there. NO will make use of him. The big question in the NFC West is how much are the Cardinals going to improve by ? There doesn't seem to be much belief in the Rams at this point even though they didn't miss the playoffs by much.
Yes. My top 3 TEs on Hawks roster were Olsen, Diss, Holli with Parkinson competing for a spot & Willson on the outside looking in. Hyde was a great addition, and for the first time in a long time I finally feel comfortable with Seattle's RB situation. I was jealous when SF originally drafted Hyde. As to Arizona, I think they will be better, and to beat them will be a tougher challenge. How much better is a good question. And will that translate into more wins? If the Rams keep regressing, we could say their recent success was really short-lived (why could be another point of discussion).

Looks like Newton to NE. I wonder if he'll still be there when the season starts. If so Hoyer will probably be cut again because I don't think they'll move on from Stidham.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS