• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 459 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The NFL, more than other pro leagues, seems to be a place where one player's bad behavior can have massive repercussions. If Brady had Brown to throw to, does anyone think the Pats would have lost to Tennessee in the playoffs? If KC hadn't dumped Hill the year before, they probably would have gone to the SB. The Pats might have gone to the SB five or six years in a row if Aaron Hernandez hadn't been arrested and convicted.

As many as five of the last seven SB might have turned out differently if not for the legal problems of just three players.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
The NFL, more than other pro leagues, seems to be a place where one player's bad behavior can have massive repercussions. If Brady had Brown to throw to, does anyone think the Pats would have lost to Tennessee in the playoffs? If KC hadn't dumped Hill the year before, they probably would have gone to the SB. The Pats might have gone to the SB five or six years in a row if Aaron Hernandez hadn't been arrested and convicted.

As many as five of the last seven SB might have turned out differently if not for the legal problems of just three players.

True for all 3 players. I think the missing player is felt even more in NFL from one game elimination. Heck after the shellacking of PIT and acquiring AB, NE was the favorite to win the Super Bowl.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt

And give Russell Wilson either one of them and Seattle would have 2 more....Now we need both offensive and defensive lines so our time may be behind us for AB.

Reactions: jmdirt

Seems a fair assessment, although I wonder if bad behaviour is more common in the NFL than other leagues, due to the physicality of the game and therefore the type of person who is successful in it. The loss of one player can have massive repercussions in the NBA for example. I don't know enough about the NHL to have an opinion there.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
I wonder if bad behaviour is more common in the NFL than other leagues

I'm guessing probably not, though someone like Hernandez is, fortunately, fairly rare. A single player doesn't have as much effect on a team's fortunes in MLB, but it can happen. Addison Russell of the Cubs was suspended for domestic violence allegations prior to the 2018 postseason, and since the team lost a close do-or-die game, it's possible his absence made the difference--though it's also the case it was easier to cut him, because he wasn't peforming that well any more. Contrast this with two years before, when the Cubs won the WS. A key player was reliever Aroldis Chapman, who was suspended during the regular season for domestic violence. He wasn't with the Cubs at the time, but the team later signed him, to the rage of many fans, who felt the Cubs sold out. He arguably made the difference between winning the WS and not.

The loss of one player can have massive repercussions in the NBA for example.

You'd certainly think so, but I can't recall an instance when legal problems sidelined a key player. The late Kobe Bryant had to deal with a rape charge that had him appearing in court during the NBA finals, but I don't think he missed any games, and he avoided jail in the end. Plenty of other players have had legal problems--Jason Kidd, e.g.--but none that I know of resulted in being cut from their team. I think KC's cutting Hill was unusual, in that a lot of teams, in the NFL and in other leagues, would not been willing to put ethics above winning. As always, teams find it easy to cut players who aren't doing well--Ray Rice is a good example--but find excuses for someone who can make a significant difference.

The most impactful NBA example I can think of didn't even involve breaking the law. Draymond Green was suspended for one game in the 2016 NBA finals for picking up a technical foul that put him over the limit. That one game turned the series around. Same thing happened with Amare Stoudemire a while back in a playoff series--the suspension probably made the difference in the series. I think those two examples show how unwilling an NBA team would be to suspend a key player if it wasn't forced to.

Meanwhile, the Players Union now agrees not to have any preseason games at all. There won't be any games between teams till the regular season begins Sept.10--if it does, of course. I've been thinking these guys are going to be poorly prepared and not in ideal shape, but maybe the preseason isn't really that important, except for players on the edge trying to make the team. Many of the starters only play in the last preseason game, and then only for a couple of series.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
...and last night he wrote the commish a letter imploring him to finish the investigation so that AB can negotiate with teams, :D
I think it was either Kellerman or McAfee who said after he announced his retirement he started promoting something of his. So a click bait in a way, draw in attention and give something else.

Honestly he's digging himself a bigger and bigger hole that no team will even want to offer him minimums amount to deal with the drama even if cleared by NFL. Marcus Pieters(sp) thought it would good for him to come back for a football structure and maybe be held in check more.
Talent, doesn't overcome lack of work or stupidity.

I think it was either Kellerman or McAfee who said after he announced his retirement he started promoting something of his. So a click bait in a way, draw in attention and give something else.

Honestly he's digging himself a bigger and bigger hole that no team will even want to offer him minimums amount to deal with the drama even if cleared by NFL. Marcus Pieters(sp) thought it would good for him to come back for a football structure and maybe be held in check more.
Talent, doesn't overcome lack of work or stupidity.
Thinking isn't his strong point. Whether he has genuine physical issues re concussions or it's just acting out and bad behavior is anyone's guess. You just knew it wasn't going to be a typical retirement even for 24 hours................he was cleared to play by the Raiders and Patriots but that doesn't always tell the full story............

Thinking isn't his strong point. Whether he has genuine physical issues re concussions or it's just acting out and bad behavior is anyone's guess. You just knew it wasn't going to be a typical retirement even for 24 hours................he was cleared to play by the Raiders and Patriots but that doesn't always tell the full story............
Physically he is cleared, mentally he isn't cleared to play on a 10 and under league.

Blockbuster trade: Seattle give up the farm for Jamal Adams who successfully forces his way out of NY. Specifically, their next two first rounders and a 2021 3rd rounder and Bradley MacDougall for Adams and a 2022 4th rounder. That looks a lot to give up. Sure you would expect the Seattle picks to be late 1st rounders but they've still got to pay him a very big contract imminently since he's in the option year of his rookie contract

Adams is arguably the best safety in football. MacDougall is a decent overachiever in the same position. This also looks like an admission from the Seahawks that last year's 2nd round safety pick Marquis Blair is not expected to pan out. Since the Jets replaced their GM a year ago they are looking a lot more like a serious team

Blockbuster trade: Seattle give up the farm for Jamal Adams who successfully forces his way out of NY. Specifically, their next two first rounders and a 2021 3rd rounder and Bradley MacDougall for Adams and a 2022 4th rounder. That looks a lot to give up. Sure you would expect the Seattle picks to be late 1st rounders but they've still got to pay him a very big contract imminently since he's in the option year of his rookie contract

Adams is arguably the best safety in football. MacDougall is a decent overachiever in the same position. This also looks like an admission from the Seahawks that last year's 2nd round safety pick Marquis Blair is not expected to pan out. Since the Jets replaced their GM a year ago they are looking a lot more like a serious team
This is a good start as we got picked apart by pass dinkers when our Defensive pressure didn't materialize. Even saying that makes last season feel like a decade ago. This season is going to be weird as everyone is playing for real from the gun.

Seattle did give up alot. But besides 2 low 1st round picks, for quite a while now Seattle has shown they do not draft well in the 1st round. So rather than being likely to throw away 2 1st rounders, they get a proven stud pro bowl SS. I'll wager Seattle will pay him big eventually, which IMO now hints that Seattle will not bring back Clowney this season - IF the NFL has a 2020 season.

As to the season, I'll be surprised or shocked if the NFL has a 2020 season in 2020. Most of the high schools here have postponed most fall sports, including football, to next spring.

If they don't have a season it will be a big profit loss. They can always do no fans or limited fans with a lot of spacing between seating and testing players and personnel weekly with more hygiene protocols. Without preseason they can have a little more time between each game. Most players seem to want to play.

Last edited:
If they don't have a season it will be a big profit loss. They can always do no fans or limited fans with a lot of spacing between seating and testing players and personnel weekly with more hygiene protocols. Without preseason they can have a little more time between each game. Most players seem to want to play.
I think it's pretty much impossible to call at the moment. The situation is changing weekly, if not daily, and who knows where the US will be when the season rolls around. I'm pretty sure there won't be fans in most stadiums unless there is a drastic change, but the football season has very few games compared to the basketball and baseball seasons so I think it's much more doable. On that note, baseball is weird without fans, even more weird than basketball.

If there is a season, not good for the Patriots. Lost Brady, Van Noy, Collins, Gostkowski and Scarneci(sp?) OL coach. Now losing 6 players namely; Hightower, Chung, Cannon, and Bolden.
They did a good job replacing Brady with Newton but still lost a massive piece in their offense. Newton will be a valuable dual threat though, especially if the receivers are as lethargic as last year.
Van Noy and Collins were big parts of the defense who were not replaced and now with losing Hightower and Chung the defense is missing big players and leaders. Especially Hightower who was missed when he was injured in 2017.
Gostkowski was missed last year though who knows how he'll do after surgery. His play started dropping in 2015 AFCC (a game they could have won if he played better and gone on to 4 SBs in a row) and after the kickoff rule change. Wasn't really replaced last year and BB showed distrust for his replacement kickers.
Scarneci was severally missed in 2015 when he retired, shown by Brady being hit a high amount especially against Denver. 2019 was a bad oline year based off injuries and now it might stay the same with Scarneci gone and Cannon sitting out. The plus is Newton is mobile compared to Brady. Though Oline sure to be weak again.
Bolden while not as big as the other 3 is still a big lose as their returner especially keeping reps off Edelman so he doesn't get injured.

Before all this I thought the Bills would win the division with Dolphins finishing second and Patriots going 7-9. Even with Newton I don't have much hope for them going positive. Then Dolphins and Bills should be fighting for the AFC East.

• Wow
Kellerman implying that Brady being gone might be another reason so many Patriots are opting out....
Kellerman has been waiting for a long time. if Brady fails at Tampa, no one will be happier to prove his long running theory so called. Some people seem to think there is more chance his replacement fails. The latest news doesn't help him. but I guess there is a lot of novelty value in a Tampa/Patriots Super Bowl that some are predicting. I don't see it myself, that is if the season goes ahead or actually gets played out !

Kellerman has been waiting for a long time. if Brady fails at Tampa, no one will be happier to prove his long running theory so called. Some people seem to think there is more chance his replacement fails. The latest news doesn't help him. but I guess there is a lot of novelty value in a Tampa/Patriots Super Bowl that some are predicting. I don't see it myself, that is if the season goes ahead or actually gets played out !

Ever since his cliff theory 3 or 4 years ago. He drank too much of the Parker kool aid. Wright has been having more neutral and friendlier takes on Brady lately. I think it will be very hard for the Patriots to make it to the Super Bowl. Newton is a huge step up from Hoyer or Stidham but the odds keep stacking up against them. Dolphins and Bills have been improving and Jets might if they get rid of Gase. On top of the hardest rated schedule. With BB's bread and butter aggressive defense missing key cogs. But if anyone can make something out of nothing.
Bucs I have high hopes for as long as Brady doesn't have a 2015 Manning type season (which I don't think will happen but you never know). Gronk I feel is being underestimated at your own risk. Now he isn't the main go to threat anymore like at NE with Godwin and Evans on the field drawing coverage as well. If the offense is moving you will be hard pressed to stop them. They can come out in 11, 12, and 13 base personal and be fine with their threats. Even more if they get AB, now that would be unstoppable in my opinion. But very unlikely.

TRENDING THREADS