• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 467 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The touchback rule is stupid (I've said that every year since Leon Lett), but none-the-less its the rule so I hope that DK leaned a valuable lesson today!

Good win SEA!
I don't think I have a problem with it. Everyone knows the rules and if they want to show boat before scoring than that's the price to pay. Lucky it didn't cost them the win. I think it allows the defense to gain a turnover if the offense is playing lose or trying to reach across. When it happened to Carr a couple years ago Patriots players were stating they'd never reach across like that and it's drilled into them.

Gostkowski redeeming his first week woes making 6 of 6.

Good win by GB. NO still missing Thomas with Brees not having the relationship with other receivers.

I would think Chiefs winning tomorrow.

Reactions: Oldermanish
For some reason the Bengals/Eagles result put a smile on my dial ! Good day for the wounded 49ers, beating the turf, the Giants and seeing the Cardinals and Rams lose close ones. Good start to the season by Pittsburgh, not so good by Denver, Falcons and Texans, expected more from the Raiders, a little surprised by the Panthers win. Tompa Bay get another win, Hawks hung on against the Cowboys.
6 teams with 0-3 records: jets, texans, broncos, giants, vikings, & falcons. Bit surprised the texans and viks are 0-3, viks losing by 1 point yesterday.

The early season critics of head coaches who could lose jobs are already coming out, with the jets Gase & falcons Quinn leading the way. If Dan Quinn gets fired, Seattle should take him back as their DC!

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The touchback rule is stupid (I've said that every year since Leon Lett), but none-the-less its the rule so I hope that DK leaned a valuable lesson today!

Good win SEA!
I'm ok with the rule. Clearly, DK was mortified. He did 2 things wrong: 1) he let off some speed before crossing the goal line, 2) he held the ball far too loosely. And I don't think he was showboating. If instead he had kept up his speed or protected the ball that touchback probably does not happen. Do both and for sure that would not have happened. He's a coachable kid, humble (as an NFL WR can be), and has Wilson who knows how to talk to different kinds of players. I'd be shocked if he ever makes that mistake again.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
I was hoping Gardner and his 'stache could light it up. So far his receiver dropped a first down and his defense has given up 14 points in the first quarter. You're getting your wish....oh, wait! Now Minshew is running and passing like crazy so this could be fun.
I feel sorry for Minshew, having to play for that mess of an organization that is worse than the Browns, who at least have some talent at WR, RB, and OL for Baker Mayfield.

Reactions: Oldermanish
I'm ok with the rule. Clearly, DK was mortified. He did 2 things wrong: 1) he let off some speed before crossing the goal line, 2) he held the ball far too loosely. And I don't think he was showboating. If instead he had kept up his speed or protected the ball that touchback probably does not happen. Do both and for sure that would not have happened. He's a coachable kid, humble (as an NFL WR can be), and has Wilson who knows how to talk to different kinds of players. I'd be shocked if he ever makes that mistake again.
Maybe I have a broader and looser definition of show booting. By no means was he like TO or others but by slowing down and having the ball loose like that he was showing/thinking he was about to score and nothing they could do to stop it. So I akin it to show boating.

I don't think I have a problem with it. Everyone knows the rules and if they want to show boat before scoring than that's the price to pay. Lucky it didn't cost them the win. I think it allows the defense to gain a turnover if the offense is playing lose or trying to reach across. When it happened to Carr a couple years ago Patriots players were stating they'd never reach across like that and it's drilled into them.

Gostkowski redeeming his first week woes making 6 of 6.

Good win by GB. NO still missing Thomas with Brees not having the relationship with other receivers.

I would think Chiefs winning tomorrow.
If you fumble of the endzone why should the other team get it?

Reactions: movingtarget
6 teams with 0-3 records: jets, texans, broncos, giants, vikings, & falcons. Bit surprised the texans and viks are 0-3, viks losing by 1 point yesterday.

The early season critics of head coaches who could lose jobs are already coming out, with the jets Gase & falcons Quinn leading the way. If Dan Quinn gets fired, Seattle should take him back as their DC!
You would have to think that Quinn's job is hanging by a thread, the first round loss where they blew another big lead would probably be enough for some owners with the Falcons record of the past few seasons. Gase was going to be given more time to turn around the Jets but how long ? Surprised by the Vikings record after last season and the Texans coach is probably another one living dangerously after their QB has just been given a healthy long term extension. Bears have decided to go with Foles moving forward. No surprise really. Mayfield was facing the same fate but the Browns have picked up somewhat so far.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
If you fumble of the endzone why should the other team get it?
I don't know how it was established but I assume it went hand in hand with fumbling out of your own endzone getting the offense a safety. So if the offense does that to the opposing endzone it becomes a turnover as punishment. It's a weird rule and there are probably most that don't like it but there are worse rules. That would be my reasoning behind it. Maybe if instead of a touchback the other team gets the ball at the 1 or whatever yard it was fumbled.

27-10 Chiefs at halftime. Chiefs going strong though leaving 4 points off the board from Butker misses. Ravens have nothing going so far besides running which does no good down 17 and would have been worse if down 21. Chiefs most likely win by double digits. I had them winning at 95% chance before the start but thought it would be a one score game.

Reactions: jmdirt
I don't know how it was established but I assume it went hand in hand with fumbling out of your own endzone getting the offense a safety. So if the offense does that to the opposing endzone it becomes a turnover as punishment. It's a weird rule and there are probably most that don't like it but there are worse rules. That would be my reasoning behind it. Maybe if instead of a touchback the other team gets the ball at the 1 or whatever yard it was fumbled.

27-10 Chiefs at halftime. Chiefs going strong though leaving 4 points off the board from Butker misses. Ravens have nothing going so far besides running which does no good down 17 and would have been worse if down 21. Chiefs most likely win by double digits. I had them winning at 95% chance before the start but thought it would be a one score game.
Not to mention the dropped ball from the Kansas receiver which was very catchable. Unusual to see their kicker miss, but the Ravens are being outplayed. Mahomes looks on another level to Lamar.

Reactions: jmdirt

Why wouldn't the team who fumbled it, get it where they fumbled it from (just like oob)?

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
Why wouldn't the team who fumbled it, get it where they fumbled it from (just like oob)?
Like I said, probably to match the rule of when they fumble out of their own endzone it's a safety. So instead of applying a safety when it happens at the opposing endzone it's a touchback. I don't know, I didn't make the rule lol. Just trying to think how they would have.

Last edited:
Regarding the rule of defense being awarded a touchback when the opponent fumbles the ball through and out of the endzone, Mike Pereira shares his thoughts:
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlHQRJIib4

What he says makes little sense. And while he can guess, he has no idea why the rule was written that way.

A reverse touchback would be hilarious. Sounds from him whoever made the rules tried to liken it to the fumble safety. Maybe keep the ball with loss of down and 10 yard penalty or just a 15 yard penalty. Or get the ball at the 1 or heck a touchdown.

If they can't practice this week, how are they supposed to play on Sunday? Really curious to see how the NFL handles this. The Titans and Steelers don't share a bye week. Despite all the cancellations, MLB managed to play every game on the schedule except 2 between StL and Det, using a lot of flexibility. However, the NFL is wholly unsuited to making up games on the fly. I think they should've started a week earlier and put 2 league-wide bye weeks for re-scheduled games (if necessary).

You should get the ball from wherever you last had possession IMO.

With the SEA situation the ball was knocked out of his hand by a defender. The defender knocked it out of the endzone, yet his team gets the ball?! Its a stupid rule.
While I am ok with the rule, it definitely is a stupid rule. It should be whoever has last possession gets the ball (just like the ball going OOB along sidelines). Just spot it at the 1 yardline, or thereabouts.

The reason I'm ok with the rule however, is because it's generally an easy solution for the offensive player to avoid getting into in the first place: JUST PROTECT THE D*** BALL & DON'T STOP SPRINTING UNTIL CROSSING GOAL LINE. If the player is stupid enough to fail doing either of those he almost deserves the consequences. But yes, it's a stupid rule that needs to be changed.

Bears bench Trubisky for Foles:

Wow...this could be the beginning of the end forTrubisky at Chicago. Can't have your franchise QB & #2 OA in 2017 sitting the bench.

Mark's nephew Brett gets the start for Thursday!

This isn't exactly a high-profile game that fans can hardly wait to watch and will probably generate low ratings. But it's a must win for both teams. If the Jets lose, it's very possible Gase is gone. If the Broncos lose, they equal last season's start at 0-4 and once again diminish their playoff chances.

While I am ok with the rule, it definitely is a stupid rule. It should be whoever has last possession gets the ball (just like the ball going OOB along sidelines). Just spot it at the 1 yardline, or thereabouts.

The reason I'm ok with the rule however, is because it's generally an easy solution for the offensive player to avoid getting into in the first place: JUST PROTECT THE D*** BALL & DON'T STOP SPRINTING UNTIL CROSSING GOAL LINE. If the player is stupid enough to fail doing either of those he almost deserves the consequences. But yes, it's a stupid rule that needs to be changed.
Maybe to stop a fumble that rules into the endzone being knocked out by the offense so the defense doesn't recover it. That's the same as the safety rule so in their mind why would the offense get the ball back.

Stinks for Titans. Hopefully it doesn't start spreading among the teams.

I quite like the fumble / touchback rule. Where it has usually come into effect in recent years is on the plays where the offensive player (trying to beat the defender to the corner) is trying to score a TD by reaching out with the ball and hitting the pylon with it. Which is fine if you can do it. But you have to secure the ball on any other part of the field so why should it be different at the goal line ? It drives me up the wall to see a player with the ball in one hand (and sometimes in just the fingertips of one hand) almost throwing the ball at the pylon - so to see them cough up the ball in those circumstances is always funny. Like the defender that forgets to touch a player when he's down or jumps offside on 4th and 4 - dumb should get penalised