• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 468 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hmmm. 2016-2018 in Miami. Head coach Adam Gase. QB Ryan Tannehill. That marriage didn't work very good.

2019-present. Tennessee. Head coach Mike Vrabel. QB Ryan Tannehill. That seems to be working well.

2018-present. NY Jets. Head coach Adam Gase. QB Sam Darnold. Ya think Sam just needs a new HC or change of scenery?
2016 Dolphins were going good if only Tannehill didn't get injured. They could have made it to the divisional. Gase just needs to stop coaching.

Hmmm. 2016-2018 in Miami. Head coach Adam Gase. QB Ryan Tannehill. That marriage didn't work very good.

2019-present. Tennessee. Head coach Mike Vrabel. QB Ryan Tannehill. That seems to be working well.

2018-present. NY Jets. Head coach Adam Gase. QB Sam Darnold. Ya think Sam just needs a new HC or change of scenery?
All you need to know about the Jets woes in recent years is that their highest paid player on offense is Le'Veon Bell and their highest paid player on defense is CJ Mosley. A lot of Money For Nothing.

Last summer they hired Joe Douglas as GM on a long term contract. Maybe that will turn things around. In his one offseason so far it looks like he figured out why the roster was such a mess and set about sorting it out for the long term. His first draft pick was an enormous left tackle with talent (who has looked great so far ), his biggest signings in free agency were offensive linemen on the upgrade rather than big-name washed up veterans and he got a good haul from the Adams trade. But there's still a lot of rebuilding to do there

I suspect no one is exactly surprised by this.

It sounds like the Vikings have been cleared to play with 3 consecutive negative tests for everyone.

The Rock’s Reborn XFL Faces ‘Uphill Battle’ After Two Failures

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/13481Z:US

After two failed launches and a bankruptcy, the XFL is getting set for a third try that even the league’s new owner Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson acknowledges will be a challenge.

“It’s an uphill battle -- but we’re hungry, humble and no one will outwork us,” the entertainer said Thursday on Twitter. The group is working on the next steps for its relaunch and plans to provide more details soon, according to a statement.

The potential rival to the National Football League was sold while in bankruptcy in August to a group of investors for $15 million. Johnson, who leads the group, said in his post that play would resume in 2022. His group includes Gerry Cardinale’s RedBird Capital Partners.

“They’ve learned from what didn’t work, and they’ve got a decent shot to make it work going forward,” sports-industry consultant Lee Berke said. “The ratings were relatively good, particularly in the first part of the season.”

Last season, the league found a market for viewers even while hemorrhaging cash. TV deals with ESPN and Fox Corp. helped bolster its presence, but when Covid-19 hit, the parent company ran out of time and money. New TV deals will have to be struck, Berke said.

League owner Alpha Entertainment filed for bankruptcy in April. The upstart XFL was founded in 2001 by Vince McMahon, best known for making World Wrestling Entertainment Inc. into a global business. The football league faltered after a season but was revived by McMahon in 2018, with plans for play to resume this year. He tried to buy the XFL out of bankruptcy, but withdrew in May after opposition from creditors.

Berke said the new investors are more stable and resourceful, which will be strong assets going forward. He believes waiting out the pandemic is a wise decision.
According to Berke, the window between Super Bowl and the NBA playoffs represents an opportunity for the XFL to appeal to sports enthusiasts. Rich Greenfield, a media and technology analyst at LightShed Partners, said it’s too early to tell if the league will be successful this round.

“There is tremendous demand for football, and so I think it’s sort of obvious why people keep trying,” Greenfield said.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Might be tank for Trevor time but the QB is just one issue, there are many including coaching it seems. Maybe they need the 49er solution, new GM, new coach, new assistants including strength and conditioning coach, new scouts..............wipe the slate clean.

Might be tank for Trevor time but the QB is just one issue, there are many including coaching it seems. Maybe they need the 49er solution, new GM, new coach, new assistants including strength and conditioning coach, new scouts..............wipe the slate clean.
Or they could tank for #1 overall draft position, not draft Trevor, but trade the pick (e.g. they could probably get 3 #1's, some #2's). The already have a load of #1's with theirs & from the Jamaal trade. They could build an entire OL, or get a mess of weapons. From what I saw of Darnold, he wasn't that bad, & I'm not sure I'd give up on him yet.

Does anybody know what an entire NFL team staffing roster looks like? I am super curious about just how impossible a Covid bubble could look for them..40-50 players, coaches,equipment managers,trainers and medical treatment staff,travel staff..gotta wonder about hauling all the junk from town to town? Is it more than @100 people!? @125..
I know some purists will be mad I didn't include cheerleaders or Denver bringing a rider and live Bronco to the game!!
with the news about Cam Newton..and the day before stuff..wow!! Talk about disruption..teams belly aching about opposite coast travel..Monday or Thursday night football..can't wait for a Patriots make up game to be on a Tuesday morning!!!

Reactions: jmdirt
Does anybody know what an entire NFL team staffing roster looks like? I am super curious about just how impossible a Covid bubble could look for them..40-50 players, coaches,equipment managers,trainers and medical treatment staff,travel staff..gotta wonder about hauling all the junk from town to town? Is it more than @100 people!? @125..
I know some purists will be mad I didn't include cheerleaders or Denver bringing a rider and live Bronco to the game!!
with the news about Cam Newton..and the day before stuff..wow!! Talk about disruption..teams belly aching about opposite coast travel..Monday or Thursday night football..can't wait for a Patriots make up game to be on a Tuesday morning!!!
Not good signs for the NFL. Obviously the traveling circus for the NBA is a smaller group and they managed to avoid major problems mainly through playing in a bubble and restricting travel. The ice hockey season seemed to go pretty well while baseball has had some hiccups along the way so far. The EPL also went pretty well and even the Tour De France but with Covid on the rise again in Italy and Spain I wouldn't be surprised if the Giro and Vuelta had some issues and they will already have problems enough with the weather in the mountains with the re-scheduling of the races.

Not good signs for the NFL. Obviously the traveling circus for the NBA is a smaller group and they managed to avoid major problems mainly through playing in a bubble and restricting travel. The ice hockey season seemed to go pretty well while baseball has had some hiccups along the way so far. The EPL also went pretty well and even the Tour De France but with Covid on the rise again in Italy and Spain I wouldn't be surprised if the Giro and Vuelta had some issues and they will already have problems enough with the weather in the mountains with the re-scheduling of the races.
Even with the inaccuracies of c19 testing, it is not a good sign. Particularly considering the NFLs covid protocols. C19 is not easily corralled. Green Bay WI is now a new covid hotspot.

Finally some justice for really dirty play by Boys DT Hill for INTENTIONALLY rolling up Seattle RB Chris Carson, AFTER he was down on the ground, like a gator rolling it's prey, causing a knee sprain to Carson. Hill or any player doing something clearly that intentional should get a minimum 1 game suspension, up to as many games as the victim misses. Fined also for dirty play on Russell.
View: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1312488367364268032?s=19

We may see a pre-emptive Superbowl in week 6 with the 2 teams having 5-0 records as the last guys standing. I sincerely hope not as the NFL seems to have done a fairly good job so far.
Ya, the NFL has done an ok job so far, at least as best as possible considering the start of the regular season was not delayed until a vaccine was ready. But I said a long time ago the regular season should have been delayed.

Browns ransacked Cowboys. How are you going to let them recover the blocked extra point to get 2 points.

Good win for TB and Chargers should have their quarterback for the future. Hes played well. I don't think Brady is ever going to attempt that throw again of across the numbers out route. Excellent play by the defender with the receiver slow coming out on his break but the corner had it dialed in. Howard's injury will hurt down the stretch but still have Gronk and Brate.

Suprised Eagles are winning right now.

Yay! Was glad to see Carson bounce back from that dirty leg twister last week & run with authority as if he was 100%. DJ Dallas & Homer did okay in relief for Carson, but I think we missed Hyde (shoulder). Overall, I'm pleasantly pleased with OL play, but want to see how they handle better fronts (e.g. Rams, 9ers) before passing judgment. Metcalf is a monster. Really pleased with TEs (Diss & Oly) production & blocking, including using both of them a lot, just fewer drops please.

I just wish the defence was better. I know the D is really banged up (especially DBs), and offense getting TDs off of turnovers helps, but jeez, that D needs to get it figured out. Getting more QB pressure would be a good starter, and not letting a QB like Fitz run all over the place like he's Russ would be a 2nd.

Tough bang-bang loss by Niners. I thought SF had it mostly under control until Philly got those 2 quick TDs. Still, SF nearly pulled out a win.

Gripe time. Refs. They need to get more consistent calling penalties on running backs dropping their head to initiate contact. One got called in the Raider game where I thought was wrong because it looked more like the back initiated contact with the shoulder, then one in the SF game where the back clearly lowered his head. These are often bang bang collisions, but those contacts should be reviewable to put some teeth in the rule.

TRENDING THREADS