• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 471 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can't believe the Chargers lost that game. Herbert looked gutted after the kick was missed. Chargers lose some many close games. They really need to find a consistent kicker. Herbert and Burrow have looked good so far. Seems the last draft for QBs is better than the previous one re Haskins, Jones etc and Tua is yet to be seen while Love won't be getting Rodgers job any time soon.

Say what you will about Seattle's defense but Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright have come up big in almost every win in spite of several key players being injured for weeks.
True. And Neal filling in for Adams has made some big plays. Barton, while getting pushed around much of that game, made a quick read on the Viks final 4th and inches play and filled the hole in the backfield allowing teammates like Bobby to stop the back short of the first down marker. While Seattle's defense is ranked last in the NFL, that Viks game sums up their defensive play so far this season - bend but don't break, and somebody at some time just make a play. However, I'd prefer they make those plays while having a defense that plays consistently better (e.g. at least ranked in the top third of the league). That way they'd have a better shot at making a deep playoff push. As it is now, at 5-0 Seattle has not played a strong playoff contender, and if something does not change on defense I see them as a one-and-done playoff team, unless Russell wins every shootout he's in.

Reactions: jmdirt
Can't believe the Chargers lost that game. Herbert looked gutted after the kick was missed. Chargers lose some many close games. They really need to find a consistent kicker. Herbert and Burrow have looked good so far. Seems the last draft for QBs is better than the previous one re Haskins, Jones etc and Tua is yet to be seen while Love won't be getting Rodgers job any time soon.
I had a feeling on that laat field goal before end of regulation it would be a miss. Their defense played good to limit to only a field goal but the offense made mistakes.

I saw that games are being shuffled around like crazy.

True. And Neal filling in for Adams has made some big plays. Barton, while getting pushed around much of that game, made a quick read on the Viks final 4th and inches play and filled the hole in the backfield allowing teammates like Bobby to stop the back short of the first down marker. While Seattle's defense is ranked last in the NFL, that Viks game sums up their defensive play so far this season - bend but don't break, and somebody at some time just make a play. However, I'd prefer they make those plays while having a defense that plays consistently better (e.g. at least ranked in the top third of the league). That way they'd have a better shot at making a deep playoff push. As it is now, at 5-0 Seattle has not played a strong playoff contender, and if something does not change on defense I see them as a one-and-done playoff team, unless Russell wins every shootout he's in.
They have a bye week and then get most of the defensive starter on IR back. The addition of Snacks in 2 more weeks can help their D-line play, hopefully. Pressure at the line is erratic which affects everyone in the backfield, particularly against the crossing patterns it seems.

That was the first expression change for Herbert. He's done everything asked of him since coming and is still O-for....
The last shot of Michael Badgley sitting by himself said it all, too. My wife said "everyone makes mistakes...". I reminded her that the kicker only has one thing to practice, think of and perform. There was no wind, rain...nothing.
That sounds like every Coach that has to rely on a kicker to close out a game, though.

They have a bye week and then get most of the defensive starter on IR back. The addition of Snacks in 2 more weeks can help their D-line play, hopefully. Pressure at the line is erratic which affects everyone in the backfield, particularly against the crossing patterns it seems.
Snacks has a rep as a run stuffer. I think he will primarily be used in the rotation to spell the other interior DL guys, keeping them fresher for the 4th quarter. Also, if his addition helps keep Seattle out of 2nd / 3rd down and short situations, that will also help out the passing game. He should help in the run game by holding gaps and ground (not getting pushed backward, even in double teams), which will help keep the tackling lanes open for the LBs to fly to running backs, again helping prevent those short down & distance situations.
For more insight on Snacks:
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1196...f-dt-damon-snacks-harrison-is-the-right-move/

Another article on the other SEA DTs: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/10/...na-ford-seattle-seahawks-run-defense-nfl-film (Bryan Mone, Poona Ford & the Art of Fixing a Run Defense by Doing Nothing)
"the art of doing nothing" translated: holding gaps and position (not getting pushed backward).
Mone is much better at maintaining his gap against double teams and just all around better at holding ground laterally... Mone never moves an inch backward nor allows any kind of edge...

One word, "doink". NO was lucky. It happens. Now, how will their kicker respond in coming games. Will that miss "get in his head" or will he put it behind him? If he continues to struggle, then that might be time to replace him. But ATM, I don't know his history, and maybe he's already at that point.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Bell released from the Jets, not that he ever wanted to be there besides for money. I feel like he will get plenty of offers. Gase to be fired soon.
Ya, Jet teammates saying he was a great teammate (i.e. Not a cancer). Agree some team will pick him up if money is not an issue. But I was surprised by this move. Apparently, he was unhappy with his role primarily in the passing game (not being targeted enough, implying he was used more as a blocker). But the timing of this, 3 or so weeks before the trade deadline, to just cut him and not try to trade for a draft pick??? However, the Jets gave Bell and his agent permission to explore trades on their ends, but there were no takers.

As to other potentially interested teams, money may be a hindrance to signing him. Bell signed a 4-year, $52M deal with the team last offseason. Plus his $8M injury guarantee for 2021 may be a hinderance, even if the Jets pick up some of the $6 million remaining on his guaranteed base salary for this year.

I'm also surprised Gase has not been fired already, and like you think it will be a matter of time before he is. Jets just have to figure out who they will replace him with in the interim.

How about them Browns? Can't wait for them to play the Steelers.

Suspended a game by the team for punching a teammate during practice. His absence will not help the offense.
I don't know why punching people at work is not more widely accepted..? I would welcome the option from time to time, during everyday at work..

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS