• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 576 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Watching him attempt to walk after that hip I'm surprised the "protocol" didn't include scans for consecutive days as well as neurological tactile and balance tests. It probably did but most other sports that'd be a few weeks off at least. By other sports I mean non-contact sports that are concerned about the victim.
Outside of a boxing ring, I have never see a sportsmen's fingers lock up like that after a hit !

Most interesting games to me:

BUF@BAL - With the Bills secondary still beat up, I like Jackson leading the Ravens to put up enough points to win, taking the mighty Bills to 2-2.

JAX@PHI - Both teams are playing very well, but Philly is just more deep, a better D, better OL, and at home. If Jacks can pull this off, it will really signal they are here.

CHI@NYG - Both teams are 2-1, but don't seem that good. Fields has had a really tough go this year, with the Bears relying heavy on the run. Giants don't have a great secondary, can Fields make enough throws to look good? I'll still take the Giants at home.

NE@GB Pats will drop to 1-3 after being soundly beaten by the Packers. Hoyer starting for NE. I've been as critical as anyone about Mac Jones being an average QB, unable to throw the ball with accuracy down the field or hard outs with any consistency. Hoyer has always been decent, but not enough to win this game.

DEN@LV - What a disappointment the AFC West has been, and that includes both these teams (KC still good!). The loser here is going to really sink into a hole. If it's the Raiders, not only will their once promising season be basically over, it will send up very vocal calls that McDaniels isn't the guy (Carr maybe isn't either). If Denver loses, and Wilson at least plays okay, it will send up calls in Denver that Hackett isn't the guy.

KC@TB - While Brady has made some really nice throws this year, he hasn't been completely in sync with his receivers, and made some poor throws himself, but played well enough to go 2-1. KC isn't as explosive when they had Hill, but Mahomes is still great, clutch, and I'll take the Chiefs on the road.

LAR@SF - Williams is out, I'm not sold in Jimmy G, but not sold on the Rams either. Game in SF.

Some QB numbers. Using ESPNs QBR:

1. Tua - 78.5

1. Lamar - 78.1
  2. Josh Allen - 77.5
  3. Mahomes - 75.8
  4. J. Hurts 74.6
  5. Cooper Rush (!) 73.3

1. Rodgers 49.3
  2. Brady 47.7
  3. Wilson 45.5
Rams/49era games are usually good to watch, 49ers have some injury concerns but it seems whatever team they put on the field always tests the Rams and the current 6-1 record is hard to deny but they will need the O line to be at least decent and Jimmy and Kittle have to step it up especially looking at whats ahead for the next month.

Don't see any way that GB lose to the Patriots. Think the Ravens will test the Bills. Denver/ Raiders will probably be a tight one, same with Buccs/Chiefs.

Reactions: jmdirt
Contact too. I don't closely watch hockey, but routinely guys who suffer even a mild concussion are out for far more than a few days. Granted, some guys get dinged, like in the NFL, and never report anything because they want to play. But when someone is obviously hurt from any kind of head injury its usually weeks, often a month. Long list of players who took long periods of time off after concussions: Marc Savard, Scott Stevens, Sidney Crosby. Many more than I can look up.

I can't imagine the Dolphins' coaching and management escaping the "it's a back injury, not a concussion" excuse without facing heavy fines and other forms of punishment once the dust has settled.
IMO they've crossed the divide between abusing a franchise player as bad as that is to something worse. The NFLPA has a huge percentage of underserved retired players that suffer and a legal battle was won to provide some financial relief. Not enough, but some. This could be grounds for a legal malpractice suit of some form against the team although the player would likely not commit to that.

Russ and Rich got divorced in the final year of Sherm's contract with SEA.
Alot of jettisoned players were "too expensive" to keep and they probably felt Russ as the financial winner did little to keep them on. Sherman was physically damaged as were others.
On another note today; Detroit's injured defense made Jeno's first quarter look more like Russell's heyday. Time to move on from the decision to trade IMO. Tonight's game may be a pivotal career point in the Denver love affair.

I’ve only been able to see the end of the Vikings and Saints game which had a crazy double doink when it looked like Lutz had made the kick.

We had Brady waving his hands and clapping wildly last week for the center to snap the ball, this week we have Rodgers
View: https://youtu.be/dJzfLpjgCfo

On any given Sunday sometimes that stick is all that you are left with, but at least you had the momentary pleasure of devouring the creamsicle. That ugly-ass zebra sofa though, that ain't going nowhere and you still have to cover it up!
That creamsicle could also be the last from a variety pack you’re stuck with and leave you wanting more. At least you can sit on a couch and not the floor ;)

• Haha
Alot of jettisoned players were "too expensive" to keep and they probably felt Russ as the financial winner did little to keep them on.
I often wondered this. Though the cost came at the expense usually of the OL, which soon became the worst in the league. Still, Russ' contracts in SEA weren't much higher or lower than top tier QBs during those years, were they? Denver is the team I think grossly overpaying him. I feel the same about Bobby Wagner and his mega deal with the Rams. Though I think they can release him after 1 year. However, let's not ignore the trade Carroll and Schneider made to get Jamal Adams. Though Adams being hurt means the dust hasn't truly settled.

SEA with the win! If you like 1,000+ yards of offense, and almost 100 points in a game that was the game of the year! Smith is settling in much better than I expected...I know that I already said that last week, but he looked even better today. If he can keep the 'run threat' going like today that will make him even better.

Lots of points in the SNF game as well.

Rush continues to look good.

PHI still undefeated.

Reactions: movingtarget
SEA with the win! If you like 1,000+ yards of offense, and almost 100 points in a game that was the game of the year! Smith is settling in much better than I expected...I know that I already said that last week, but he looked even better today. If he can keep the 'run threat' going like today that will make him even better.

Lots of points in the SNF game as well.

Rush continues to look good.

PHI still undefeated.
Something in the water at the Seattle game ! Buccs had a slow start against the Chiefs. Chiefs defense dropped off in the second half but it was a pretty impressive win. Mahomes up to his usual tricks and the run game looked good. Wide open drop by the RB probably cost the Chiefs another TD. Patriots gave GB a good fight.As expected by many people it looks like Trubisky is going to struggle to hold the starter's job.

Something in the water at the Seattle game ! Buccs had a slow start against the Chiefs. Chiefs defense dropped off in the second half but it was a pretty impressive win. Mahomes up to his usual tricks and the run game looked good. Wide open drop by the RB probably cost the Chiefs another TD. Patriots gave GB a good fight.As expected by many people it looks like Trubisky is going to struggle to hold the starter's job.
Bucs killed themselves with the fumbled kick off and strip sack. Mahomes had some great acrobatic throws. Tampa run game was terrible.

Hopefully Patriots aren’t down to a fourth string quarterback next week. First time in forever they’re alone at the bottom of the division.

I often wondered this. Though the cost came at the expense usually of the OL, which soon became the worst in the league. Still, Russ' contracts in SEA weren't much higher or lower than top tier QBs during those years, were they? Denver is the team I think grossly overpaying him. I feel the same about Bobby Wagner and his mega deal with the Rams. Though I think they can release him after 1 year. However, let's not ignore the trade Carroll and Schneider made to get Jamal Adams. Though Adams being hurt means the dust hasn't truly settled.
While his contract wasn't at the top of the list, many of the "aggrieved" players had contracts that pushed them to a fairly high budget and were injured. The list from the Legion of Boom was iffy on long term recovery. Restocking that talent didn't come easy and Earl Thomas was a good case in point. He pretty much made it impossible to sign him and Baltimore rewarded him with a $55m, 4 year deal. He played part of one year and was out. Kam Chancellor retired as a Seahawk with a neck injury and he was impossible to replace. His hit on Demarius Thomas in the Superbowl pretty much intimidated Denver's entire receiver corps and set the tone for the game. It also demonstrated the hard, reckless contact that team used resulting in much wear and tear.
Bobby Wagner was another guy that deserved a good deal but not at the expense of the team's future, I guess.

While his contract wasn't at the top of the list, many of the "aggrieved" players had contracts that pushed them to a fairly high budget and were injured. The list from the Legion of Boom was iffy on long term recovery. Restocking that talent didn't come easy and Earl Thomas was a good case in point. He pretty much made it impossible to sign him and Baltimore rewarded him with a $55m, 4 year deal. He played part of one year and was out. Kam Chancellor retired as a Seahawk with a neck injury and he was impossible to replace. His hit on Demarius Thomas in the Superbowl pretty much intimidated Denver's entire receiver corps and set the tone for the game. It also demonstrated the hard, reckless contact that team used resulting in much wear and tear.
Bobby Wagner was another guy that deserved a good deal but not at the expense of the team's future, I guess.
So tonight Wagner played up to his expectations and Jarrod and Jimmy change roles in terms of poise and pass selection. The first half had Garoppolo hitting precise points and his receivers in synch. The second half LAs defense made it tougher and both offenses bogged down. A telegraphed arch to whomever from Goff became a Pick6 in the 4th to seal the deal.
4 weeks in and Seattle is tied for the Division lead! Lots of parity showing in the various division standings making it the most unpredictable season in some time.

Good post about the Seahawks. I'd forgotten about Earl Thomas story.

What a win for SF. Didn't expect them to just dominate the Rams like that. Incredible defense. I mean, this team, tonight, could...

TB's defense got steamrolled by the Chiefs run game. But the fact that even players and staff in Tampa were trying to recover from the hurricane had to have some impact.

Not only the fact that Buffalo beat Baltimore, but the way their depleted defense completely stiffened up in the 2nd half was just damned impressive. Right when people were saying Josh Allen couldn't hand out comebacks against good teams, he was on fire when needed most.

Huge respect to Geno Smith. Granted, the Lions are all offense, but he put it into overdrive when it looked like they were done. Over 77% current completion rate!

It Atlanta for real?

A telegraphed arch to whomever from Goff became a Pick6 in the 4th to seal the deal.
Goff? :oops:

Rams may wish they had Goff about now. His numbers are significantly better than Stafford in nearly every category this year.*

*Yes, the season is young. Yes, the Lions are all offense. Yes, Stafford is still making quality throws. But the fact is, Goff is playing lights out right now, and Stafford is near the bottom of the league in int's, and being sacked, and sack yardage. Even his yards per throw are much lower than Goff.

Good post about the Seahawks. I'd forgotten about Earl Thomas story.

What a win for SF. Didn't expect them to just dominate the Rams like that. Incredible defense. I mean, this team, tonight, could...

TB's defense got steamrolled by the Chiefs run game. But the fact that even players and staff in Tampa were trying to recover from the hurricane had to have some impact.

Not only the fact that Buffalo beat Baltimore, but the way their depleted defense completely stiffened up in the 2nd half was just damned impressive. Right when people were saying Josh Allen couldn't hand out comebacks against good teams, he was on fire when needed most.

Huge respect to Geno Smith. Granted, the Lions are all offense, but he put it into overdrive when it looked like they were done. Over 77% current completion rate!

It Atlanta for real?
Rams offense looks one dimensional . Kupp will get his but its not enough especially when he can't score a TD. Jimmy had a much better game but that's who he is, unpredictable Let Deebo run and its problems. 49ers secondary is much better this season even with Jimmy Ward injured. Great performance by the 49ers defense. Stafford had an off game. Seven wins in a row now for the 49ers over the Rams in the regular season.

Nice comeback by Buffalo.

Goff? :oops:

Rams may wish they had Goff about now. His numbers are significantly better than Stafford in nearly every category this year.*

*Yes, the season is young. Yes, the Lions are all offense. Yes, Stafford is still making quality throws. But the fact is, Goff is playing lights out right now, and Stafford is near the bottom of the league in int's, and being sacked, and sack yardage. Even his yards per throw are much lower than Goff.
Sorry, meant Mathew. To your point about who they'd prefer.

Major injuries starting to hit the Broncos. First it was Tim Patrick lost before the season even started & now a serious knee injury with multiple ligaments tears to Javonte Williams:

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1576980859613167617?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The 2nd rd draft pick was having a pretty good season so far & was supposed to be the workhorse for the running game. Now Melvin Gordon steps in if he can hold onto the football.

And Gregory, who was also carted off the field, dodged a bullet with a meniscus tear - out for a few weeks.

Last edited:
  • Wow
The hurricane definitely didn’t help but they got dominated on both sides of the trenches and the two fumbles were a 14 point swing. Can’t win many games with that and rushing 3 yards. Really they just need to keep their offense healthy and they can go far. Though Rams defense can probably still beat them up. The run game has been bad the last two games. Honestly since at the start of the game or on first down they run a lot, just throw a play action with Millar running down the sideline.

Don't think he has a leg to stand on..........no pun intended.........he invaded the field and wasn't part of the game. I think that would be trespassing amongst other things and he obviously didn't have a security pass.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Don't think he has a leg to stand on..........no pun intended.........he invaded the field and wasn't part of the game. I think that would be trespassing amongst other things and he obviously didn't have a security pass.
Unfortunately, Wagner hasn't been deputized into the venue security. The tool will sue for unspecified injury and trauma even though his ticket purchase qualifications should deny him recourse. Who would pick up Wagner's legal defense costs? Hopefully the Rams.

TRENDING THREADS