• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 578 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Actually, Peyton and the Broncs proved to be pretenders and were soundly humiliated by.....Russell Wilson. Does that make it better or worse?
Huh? I said SB "contenders" as in contending for the SB (besides Manning won it in 2015 - his last & final year in the league).

When you look at the Broncos dry spell of playing in the SB from their last appearance with Elway in 99 (won) -- 12 long seasons before playing in the big one again. And look at the long list of QBs that couldn't get it done during those seasons; Griese, Miller, Plummer, Cutler, Orton, Tebow, etc.

Manning was simply phenomenal in his 4 yrs at Denver: 45-12 (missed 6 games in 2015), 5-3 playoff record, 2 SB appearances & 1 SB win. And this is a guy that Indy said was finished because of the neck injury. Lol.

Last edited:
Giants with the huge upset over Packers. Packers again only scoring in the first half and fizzling out. A Mike Evans no suspension away from 2-3 honestly but with the big tie breaker over the Bucs. Honestly they could be on trouble for the number one if Vikings play them hard again along with Bears.

Beginning of the year we thought Cowboys had the NFCE but Eagles and Giants putting their name out there. Eagles were also third rated to win the Super Bowl on odds this week above TB and GB.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Giants with the huge upset over Packers. Packers again only scoring in the first half and fizzling out. A Mike Evans no suspension away from 2-3 honestly but with the big tie breaker over the Bucs. Honestly they could be on trouble for the number one if Vikings play them hard again along with Bears.

Beginning of the year we thought Cowboys had the NFCE but Eagles and Giants putting their name out there. Eagles were also third rated to win the Super Bowl on odds this week above TB and GB.
When the Cards kicker missed so many kicks in his warm up, it didn't augur well for O/T. Kinda not really surprised by the Packers but surprised by the Giants. Vikings also off to a good start. Starting to think that the Packers missed opportunities for the SB in the past few seasons could end up being similar to the 49ers missed opportunities and their QB wasn't an issue like the Niners as he was playing at MVP level for a few seasons and they couldn't even make it to the SB. Now they lose their gun receiver.............

Reactions: jmdirt
Tucker just never misses. You have to go back years to find a clutch kick he missed.

Not surprised NE beat Detroit. But surprised they shut them out! Zappe just as good as Jones.

Are the Jets, like, decent? They sure look like a different team, so far.

Falcons got robbed, probably. I don't feel sorry for TB, nor do I think their season is over.

SF and Dallas both look like teams with stellar defenses, solid run games, and deep rosters, that could be real tough to beat in December and January. Curious how Dallas plays when Dak comes back. Do the still run as much as they have with Rush? Or does Dak try to win every game with his arm, like he's done in the past ? Jimmy G had his best game this year for SF. His timing is on, and he had many clean throws through the game.

One could surmise the Eagles are ripe for an upset next week, against Dallas. But while Dallas really crippled the Rams offense, the Eagles offense is completely different.

Geno Smith did look good, very good. I watched that whole game, and was more impressed by him than how Seattle's defense couldn't close it. But credit to NO. Has it reached a point to where Seattle signs Geno to a 3-4 year deal at $15-25m or so a year? Seems to me now would be the time, and start loading up on defense, and shore up the depth of the OL in the coming draft.

As to Monday night, last year the Chiefs blew the Raiders out twice. In fact, the Chiefs have gone 15-3 against the Raiders going back to when Andy Reid was hired, and first Alex Smith (during his best years) and now Mahomes at QB.

Tucker just never misses. You have to go back years to find a clutch kick he missed.

Not surprised NE beat Detroit. But surprised they shut them out! Zappe just as good as Jones.

Are the Jets, like, decent? They sure look like a different team, so far.

Falcons got robbed, probably. I don't feel sorry for TB, nor do I think their season is over.

SF and Dallas both look like teams with stellar defenses, solid run games, and deep rosters, that could be real tough to beat in December and January. Curious how Dallas plays when Dak comes back. Do the still run as much as they have with Rush? Or does Dak try to win every game with his arm, like he's done in the past ? Jimmy G had his best game this year for SF. His timing is on, and he had many clean throws through the game.

One could surmise the Eagles are ripe for an upset next week, against Dallas. But while Dallas really crippled the Rams offense, the Eagles offense is completely different.

Geno Smith did look good, very good. I watched that whole game, and was more impressed by him than how Seattle's defense couldn't close it. But credit to NO. Has it reached a point to where Seattle signs Geno to a 3-4 year deal at $15-25m or so a year? Seems to me now would be the time, and start loading up on defense, and shore up the depth of the OL in the coming draft.

As to Monday night, last year the Chiefs blew the Raiders out twice. In fact, the Chiefs have gone 15-3 against the Raiders going back to when Andy Reid was hired, and first Alex Smith (during his best years) and now Mahomes at QB.
Jimmy G is looking more settled and getting more ball to Kittle and Aiyuk. Deebo had one of his quieter games. 49ers run game with Jeff Wilson was good and the defense contained CMC. Tevin Coleman did well for someone they picked up off the street. Rams are in trouble but they still have time to turn it around.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
Bucs dominated the first 3 quarters with refs favoring Falcons, Falcons dominated 4th quarter with refs favoring Bucs.

Falcons were getting the benefit of the refs not calling multiple PIs when the defender is all over the receiver and not looking for the ball (mostly on Miller, poor guy is getting bullied), the ref not knowing the rules at the end of the half (though Falcons probably call a TO anyways), and if the down judge was on the other side other than behind giving a first down to Bucs. Falcons had the one and potentially two calls go against them at the end, while they still committed DPI that drive that wasn’t called. They had multiple noncalls Bucs could have scored on. On a wider topic, Bucs offense still doesn’t look to be insync and have inconsistency running the ball. They also look like on return run plays they’re setting up a flea flicker with how the blockers drop back and Brady goes back like he’s expecting the pitch.

On an even wider topic Bucs have seen all these close games and teams not go for the field goal and instead attempt it on fourth down, only for that team that could have gone for the field goal to lose. They’ve been struggling to get points, almost had the same thing happen against the Saints, and had the chance to get a lead. Sometimes you just have to take the points and it almost came back to bite them, especially after Falcons converted two points.

With Teddy injured and no ETA on Tua, this could derail Dolphins season.
A lot of safeties yesterday. It was surprising Lions couldn’t score after getting 30 points in all the games before.
NFCE looks to be better than we thought while AFCW looks to be worst.

The only teams that have looked good the majority has been Bills and Eagles with Chiefs most likely destroying the Raiders again.

The Brady call was horrific. Imagine if that decided a play off game..............
True.
But imagine if the roles were reversed and the 3 DPI noncalls of Falcon defenders running into Miller before the ball arrives and not looking back end the game. Or Bucs faking going to kick the field goal bit keeping their offense on the field, catching Falcons substituting and not allowing Bucs to hike the ball because the ref doesn’t know the rules. Falcons were getting the benefit of the refs the majority of the game to allow them to be in that position with DPI being missed the play before. Does Brady get some bad roughing the passer calls, yes but he’s also bottom middle of the pack for getting the calls. There’s a stat (I don’t know if true) that he has just as many RTP calls as Cousins does. People are complaining because it’s Brady and if the roles were reversed the vast majority wouldn’t care.

Not to mention the refs probably got an earful about the Tua situation. Though that wouldn’t seem likely as Pickett got hit late while sliding and no flag was thrown. The refs that game are also more known for throwing bad RTP calls.

Reactions: jmdirt
The Brady call was horrific. Imagine if that decided a play off game..............
Very egregious call. This is getting so ridiculous they might as well strap flags on the QBs & play flag football. Lol. That's a textbook swing/roll technique when sacking a QB - I was taught that technique way back in HS football.

I get it that QBs need some protection from intentional roughing where defenders are trying to take out a QB, but making stupid calls like that on hard tackles can entirely affect the outcome of a game & screw a team over.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
True.
But imagine if the roles were reversed and the 3 DPI noncalls of Falcon defenders running into Miller before the ball arrives and not looking back end the game. Or Bucs faking going to kick the field goal bit keeping their offense on the field, catching Falcons substituting and not allowing Bucs to hike the ball because the ref doesn’t know the rules. Falcons were getting the benefit of the refs the majority of the game to allow them to be in that position with DPI being missed the play before. Does Brady get some bad roughing the passer calls, yes but he’s also bottom middle of the pack for getting the calls. There’s a stat (I don’t know if true) that he has just as many RTP calls as Cousins does. People are complaining because it’s Brady and if the roles were reversed the vast majority wouldn’t care.

Not to mention the refs probably got an earful about the Tua situation. Though that wouldn’t seem likely as Pickett got hit late while sliding and no flag was thrown. The refs that game are also more known for throwing bad RTP calls.
Sometimes the QB slide is a fine line. If the QB is already on the ground no problem but if the tackler commits just as the slide is being made, I don't see how they can give a penalty for that because its not a late hit and often the tackler would be hitting them around the hips without the slide. QB s like Murray get down so fast and so suddenly the tackler wouldn't even know he was going to slide. One tackle I don't like to see is the gang tackle where forward progress has been stopped and the player is already being held but the whistle hasn't been blown. It makes me wince when another two or three tacklers run in and then the refs blow the whistle but they are already committed. With high and low tacklers and coming in from different sides I'm amazed that more players are not tearing ligaments and the like. They are just sitting ducks. Like to see the refs blow those plays dead sooner rather than later especially when the player with the ball is no longer moving.

As for Brady. I wasn't even thinking of him I was thinking of how the ref interpreted the rule. Just a terrible call and the coach for the Falcons reacted accordingly. Of course its not the first time I have seen calls just like that and then the others that were not given that were obviously illegal and you wonder why ? That one didn't even fall into the grey area. re interpreting the rule.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Be interesting to see if Carolina blow it up and trade a few players. There was already talk of CMC being traded . I wonder if they might have another look at Jimmy G at the end of the season depending on what happens at the 49ers. They were one of the teams previously interested but Washington was the team who already had an offer ready to go then the shoulder operation scared them off.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
As for Brady. I wasn't even thinking of him I was thinking of how the ref interpreted the rule. Just a terrible call and the coach for the Falcons reacted accordingly. Of course its not the first time I have seen calls just like that and then the others that were not given that were obviously illegal and you wonder why ? That one didn't even fall into the grey area. re interpreting the rule.
Terrible it was, and they showed replays of previous sacks or takedowns during the game and they were similar to the called one. The inconsistency is terrible and that’s not even including different games.

I also forgot we had our first terrible camera angle of the season. Evans had a big play but you wouldn’t have known because upon the ball being snapped, the camera zoomed in on the upper right side of the field, no where near the action or even view of the play.

Terrible it was, and they showed replays of previous sacks or takedowns during the game and they were similar to the called one. The inconsistency is terrible and that’s not even including different games.

I also forgot we had our first terrible camera angle of the season. Evans had a big play but you wouldn’t have known because upon the ball being snapped, the camera zoomed in on the upper right side of the field, no where near the action or even view of the play.
And the sack fumble Jones just got for the Chiefs was negated by a terrible RTP. Has to be talk because of Tua.

One tackle I don't like to see is the gang tackle where forward progress has been stopped and the player is already being held but the whistle hasn't been blown. It makes me wince when another two or three tacklers run in and then the refs blow the whistle but they are already committed. With high and low tacklers and coming in from different sides I'm amazed that more players are not tearing ligaments and the like. They are just sitting ducks. Like to see the refs blow those plays dead sooner rather than later especially when the player with the ball is no longer moving.
That's one that bothers me too!

Yet another painful loss for the Raiders.
Be interesting to see if Carolina blow it up and trade a few players. There was already talk of CMC being traded.
It wouldn't shock me if they traded him now, while there's real value for him.

As to QB, keep in mind there will be at least 3, maybe 5 taken in the first round of next year's draft. While there is no Trevor Lawerence, Robert Griffin or Andrew Luck that seem sure fire, this coming year looks to be a fruitful one.

KC...a win is a win...
Too be fair to KC, the game shouldn’t have been that close. They had the two missed field goals and the sack fumble overturned when it would have been a Chiefs touchdown. That alone was a 4 point swing in Raiders favor because they got a field goal that drive. KC killing themselves with not being able to find a backup kicker. Soon they just might go for it all the time.

Raiders will be kicking themselves that they didn’t get the PAT. Honestly McDaniels had been disappointing again as a head coach.

Edit: even worse they went for two instead of tying the game! Take the points against KC!!!

Last edited: