• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 634 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That Rodgers article about him going to New Orleans is from 2021! Besides, everyone knows he'll be playing for the Vikings in 2024. :innocent:

When Rodgers gave the Jets his "wish list" he apparently included Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Mercedes Lewis, and Odell Beckham Jr. I guess he thinks he's the GM too, for more than one team. The odd thing is that the Jets have signed Lazard, Cobb is floating around as a FA. Lewis is still with GB. What's odd is that the Jets already have Garett Wilson, O-ROY, plus Cory Davis, plus Tyler Conklin. Is Rodgers planning on the team just cutting these guys? Trading them? Sitting them?

I believe next Wednesday is Florida's pro day, where Anthony Richardson can toss long passes, run really fast, jump up and down, and wow coaches. Mock drafts (which mean less than squat) have him going anywhere from 1st overall, to 12th.

Just to give you an idea of one simple example why I don't like mock drafts: A good dozen or so of them out there, some by paid sportswriters, have Will Levis going to the Raiders at #7. But these same people didn't even bother noticing that no one from the Raiders staff even bothered to attend his pro day. Either they are passing on the guy even if he's available as they showed little interest in him, or this was the smokescreen of the year and he's their guy but are trying to fool every other team...except the mock draft experts have sniffed it out.

That Rodgers article about him going to New Orleans is from 2021! Besides, everyone knows he'll be playing for the Vikings in 2024. :innocent:

When Rodgers gave the Jets his "wish list" he apparently included Randall Cobb, Allen Lazard, Mercedes Lewis, and Odell Beckham Jr. I guess he thinks he's the GM too, for more than one team. The odd thing is that the Jets have signed Lazard, Cobb is floating around as a FA. Lewis is still with GB. What's odd is that the Jets already have Garett Wilson, O-ROY, plus Cory Davis, plus Tyler Conklin. Is Rodgers planning on the team just cutting these guys? Trading them? Sitting them?
Rodgers also said after the fact that he didn’t give the Jets a wishlist but recommendations on who he’d like to play with. Lazard and Beckham are the only great choices for Rodgers and the team while Lewis and Cobb can be practice or just trainers to help the Jets offense convert to how Rodgers likes to play.

New rules change proposals. I like them all besides the fair catch rule of moving the ball to their 25 if they fair catch behind the 25 instead of playing where it is caught.

Rodgers also said after the fact that he didn’t give the Jets a wishlist but recommendations on who he’d like to play with. Lazard and Beckham are the only great choices for Rodgers and the team while Lewis and Cobb can be practice or just trainers to help the Jets offense convert to how Rodgers likes to play.

New rules change proposals. I like them all besides the fair catch rule of moving the ball to their 25 if they fair catch behind the 25 instead of playing where it is caught.
Don't like that one at all. Interesting that the scrum push on the goal line has survived. Many picked it to go.

Agree, that fair catch puts the ball at the 25 rule would be bonkers. It would completely eliminate the drama of punters trying to do either coffin corner punts, or the strategy of players trying to trap the ball close to the end zone. I think the concept is to add more offense, as every punt that sails into the redzone would be fair caught. It also would potentially mean teams would go for it on 4th down more when at mid field.

Meanwhile, Lamar wants a trade, and has requested one going back to March 2nd, because the Ravens "aren't meeting my value". Apparently $45m a year guaranteed for 3 years, isn't enough, and he thinks someone else will pay him more. I don't see it happening. I mean, what team is left that isn't going to draft a QB? Who would give up draft picks, and pay him the $200m plus he is demanding? He must be believing his own press releases. I'm sorry, but the guy hasn't shown much in what will be three seasons. His stats dropped each of the last 3 years, he hasn't been able to finish a season, and running QBs don't last long in this league. Once they start to get hurt, that's usually about it. Now, he could refuse to play under the franchise tag, but look at what that did to Lev'eon Bell's career.

Agree, that fair catch puts the ball at the 25 rule would be bonkers. It would completely eliminate the drama of punters trying to do either coffin corner punts, or the strategy of players trying to trap the ball close to the end zone. I think the concept is to add more offense, as every punt that sails into the redzone would be fair caught. It also would potentially mean teams would go for it on 4th down more when at mid field.

Meanwhile, Lamar wants a trade, and has requested one going back to March 2nd, because the Ravens "aren't meeting my value". Apparently $45m a year guaranteed for 3 years, isn't enough, and he thinks someone else will pay him more. I don't see it happening. I mean, what team is left that isn't going to draft a QB? Who would give up draft picks, and pay him the $200m plus he is demanding? He must be believing his own press releases. I'm sorry, but the guy hasn't shown much in what will be three seasons. His stats dropped each of the last 3 years, he hasn't been able to finish a season, and running QBs don't last long in this league. Once they start to get hurt, that's usually about it. Now, he could refuse to play under the franchise tag, but look at what that did to Lev'eon Bell's career.
I'm with you on LJ. BAL built their offense around him, and offered him a 'fair' deal. He should have taken it in August IMO.

Obviously I'm not in the building with them, but it seems like BAL has supported LJ all along...that might be changing this month though.

The change is only for kickoff and safety kicks, so far punts stay the same. But if this ruling changes, punts will soon follow most likely.

I much prefer the XFL rules, almost every single rule they have that the NFL doesn't, I like better.

I think Lamar is believing he'll pull a Deshaun Watson, sit out a year, then when he's a true UFA, some team will pay him the $50m a year guaranteed over 5 years, or whatever he's seeking. But I think the chances of this are near zero. Watson's contract was immediately considered a gross overreach, and a year later widely thought a huge mistake. But it's also something only the Browns could have done. And if PFT (Simms, but also Florio) are to be believed, the decision was owner Jimmy Haslem's, and Kevin Stefanski didn't even want Watson to begin with.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Good for Pete. But it's also somewhat obvious this is insurance as much as versatility.

Jimmy Haslem is of course nuts. One of the worst owners in the NFL.

I'd like to see the NFL adopt most of the XFL rules. In fact, that's one of the things I like best about the XFL. I still love the way penalties, and challenges are handled with the Sky Judge. I also love having them all mic'd up. This resulted in after Dean Blandino making a Sky Judge decision, then after the ruling was made, you could hear him say "ummm, we actually screwed that up." But unlike the NFL, which would have tried to cover the whole thing up, the XFL just accepted it and moved on, saying they stand by their system which is honest, and honest mistakes will still happen.

Speaking of, finding numbers on the XFL is almost impossible to garner anything from, in case anyone was curious. Week 1 saw good crowds, and good TV. In week 2 the league took a big drop, and some writers pronounced it DOA. Then attendance went up in weeks 4 and 5, as fans who watched started to like it and the play got better. Week 6 however saw a collective drop of 25k fans. But TV revenue went up that week. This so often depends on where games are played. St. Louis, San Antonio, and DC often have big crowds. It's also completely impossible to get any info on how effective the XFL has been on ancillary forms of revenue. Apps, YouTube, their own website, etc. Let alone merchandising. The only report on merch I saw was it was "strong" whatever that means. But the XFL has apparently been good at keeping costs down. Two (even rival!) teams often travel together, have joint practices at the same facility. The Vegas Vipers play at the worst stadium in the league, but the XFL was able to rent it for $10k per event, which is dirt cheap, with a chunk of that money apparently going directly to things like concessionaires, groundskeeping, the power bill, not someone's pocket, which in turn helps keep the event alive. Just as a comparison, the Mountain West (through UNLV, who plays elsewhere) looked into having their championship played at Raiders Allegiant stadium. The cost to rent? $250,000. So, I'm almost certain the XFL will make it through season 1. Then we'll hear some vague numbers, and then more will trickle through next January if the league will keep going. Right now, who knows?

The only thing that bothers me are all the naysayers who just dismiss it, and the USFL, saying that the NCAA is the developmental league for the NFL, and that's all the more football any fan really wants. I call BS on that.

Good video. I pretty much agree with all they said. Here are some predictions for the future of the NFL. These may take until the year 2040 to happen (just 17 years away).

• I'll be surprised if Thursday night flex doesn't start this season. Players will dislike it.
  • The league will expand to 18 games, as soon as 2024.
  • There will be at first a denial by the league, then around 2030 a push to expand to 20 games, but it will stall for some time.
  • I agree the league will look to get to 34, then 40 teams, including a European division, London and Berlin for certain. I can also see a team in Toronto. I doubt Vancouver, or Mexico City, though it's possible. The better the league plans long-term, the more likely it will happen sooner (I hope that makes sense). If corporate SST jets return, the NFL could buy one to transport players back and forth from Europe.
  • What the league needs is sort of three-fold to truly expand
    • A rich owner/group in cities looking to get a team.
    • An NFL ready stadium, this may require serious negotiations between politicians, billionaires, and corporations. These stadiums may not be considered acceptable unless in the billion dollar range.
    • More players. Some sort of developmental league partly owned/managed by the NFL. This could be the XFL, USFL, bring back European football, or a combination. This is tricky, because each NFL team has an individual owner. They would have to collectively own at least a chunk of the minor league.
  • Rosters will need to expand as well, to accommodate longer seasons. This will create large tension between the NFL and NFLPA. How many can be on a roster? How many on a practice squad? What about pay?
  • The league will expand to probably 5 days a week. There will be tension to create more bye weeks, which TV networks hated in the past. All of this will be risky because TV, fans in general, don't want to watch a watered down product. If there were a Wednesday night game this year between Arizona and Indianapolis, with two teams with a lot of players who are not rested, or sit out, or play to not get hurt, how many people are going to really watch? If the league isn't careful, some teams may throw such a game away in the sense they would rest many starters, all hurt players, watering down the product even more.

The international expansion is probably a given at this point but the increase in games will be unpopular with the union and health bodies as well as the players. Who will tune in to watch Panthers v Colts on Tuesday night ? The NFL isn't like the NBA or Baseball with a huge amount of games going on concurrently. Whoever suggested that idea is misguided re games on extra nights. Thursday night games have already proved to be a flop and should be cut completely for the sake of the players especially.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Good video. I pretty much agree with all they said. Here are some predictions for the future of the NFL. These may take until the year 2040 to happen (just 17 years away).

• I'll be surprised if Thursday night flex doesn't start this season. Players will dislike it.
  • The league will expand to 18 games, as soon as 2024.
  • Rosters will need to expand as well, to accommodate longer seasons. This will create large tension between the NFL and NFLPA. How many can be on a roster? How many on a practice squad? What about pay?
  • The league will expand to probably 5 days a week. There will be tension to create more bye weeks, which TV networks hated in the past. All of this will be risky because TV, fans in general, don't want to watch a watered down product. If there were a Wednesday night game this year between Arizona and Indianapolis, with two teams with a lot of players who are not rested, or sit out, or play to not get hurt, how many people are going to really watch? If the league isn't careful, some teams may throw such a game away in the sense they would rest many starters, all hurt players, watering down the product even more.
I think this needs to happen right about now to address the quality of product issue. Never mind the added games on the immediate horizon.
I hate to keep coming back to the large shark circling the NFL but gambling could be the motivator for 5 days a week. Then, throwaway games will be a thing, not a consequence of wear and tear alone.

You don't need to be able to do a flip to play in the NFL, but this type of agility/kinesthetic awareness does make people better athletes:
You would think that coaches would have cracked down on it. Easy to slip when attampting a flip.............fully guaranteed contracts..........nah it'll be fine.........