• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amsterhammer said:
Both teams get one posession unless either the team with first posession scores a TD, OR the defense scores.
Got it. Actually, I think that's a good rule. Not just because of this game.

Shannon Sharpe on ESPN radio said he thought the Broncos could win. Granted, he's a homer, but he said the Steelers zone-blitz style wouldn't be very effective against Tebow and the Broncos, unless Tim made some big mistakes, and he was right.

I too am glad the Steelers are done. I'm tired of them winning with help, tired of them period, and can't stand Roethilesberger. Plus I admire Tebow. Great or not, he's got a lot of guts and I like the kid.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Gotta Go Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfuUL_CKaY

Isn´t that great? The big rapist is finished already,... gotta go home.:D
No more "Big Ben". Thanks "Jesus Tebow", and Alpe. ;)
Another great wildcard day. I am satisfied since i was going 3 of 4, and the "right teams" advanced.
10/21 316, that´s the numbers for Tebow. Wow! Almost 32 yards per catch. I´ve to quit here. I just can´t remember/ think of any other game in history of pro football having that efficiency in passing. I am stunned :)

Not sure why I get thanks. I mean, I'm no Tim Tebow. :eek: ...Though I guess I did say I didn't see the Steelers getting very far. Too old, too banged up.

Here's a peek at next week's games. Historically, next week is often the best round in the playoffs:

NFC

New Orleans at San Francisco - Classic offense vs. defense match-up. I realize the Saints aren't the same on the road, but I like them in a tough game. About 20-16.

NY Giants at Green Bay - The Giants give the Packers style problems, and played them very close in NY early this year, and an upset wouldn't be shocking. But at Lambeau, I think the Packers are going to be looking to prove something. If Rogers has time to throw deep, and the Giants can't get after him, the Packers may blow them out. I like them to win about 41-30.

AFC

Denver at New England - While I think the Patriots aren't as good as their record, and these teams played a few weeks ago for an easy Patriots win, I think it will be fairly close. About 38-27.

Houston at Baltimore - While I like the way the Texans won last week, I think they're going to have a tough time even moving the ball much on the Ravens. The Ravens won't score much either, but I'll take them anyway, about 16-9.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Not sure why I get thanks.....Though I guess I did say I didn't see the Steelers getting very far.

Absolutely (in Lance´ words ;))
Exactly that´s what i meant. You didn´t see them going far. Wow! It´s been just a great WC weekend. I am very happy :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Actually... i am still touched. NOBODY in the world expected something like this. We all, around the whole world, had the Broncos at 3- max. 10 points. And then this guy completes every long pass like nobody else did ever before?!? OMG

You are aware that he through for a divine 316 yards, right?

I can't say I expected Denver to win. No, I picked Pittsburgh. I just didn't think the Steelers would blow them out, or get far in the playoffs. 50/50 to beat NE if they won today. I don't think they could have beaten Houston, and I'm all but certain they would have lost to Baltimore. But today, this game was something. Probably the game of the year (so far).

In case you weren't sure, because of a loophole in the rules, Josh McDaniels, who was just hired from the Rams to be the Pats OC again next year, can actually start working with the team now. This gives the Pats essentially two OC's. Plus, McDaniels is the guy that believed in Tebow and drafted him, and was starting to build Denver's offense when they canned him. If anyone knows how to prep for Tebow, you'd think he would be the guy.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I can't say I expected Denver to win. No, I picked Pittsburgh. I just didn't think the Steelers would blow them out, or get far in the playoffs. 50/50 to beat NE if they won today. I don't think they could have beaten Houston, and I'm all but certain they would have lost to Baltimore. But today, this game was something. Probably the game of the year (so far).

I picked the Steelers because, like everyone else, I actually thought that they would win, not because I wanted them to. I never expected the Broncos to be able to score the points they did.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I too am glad the Steelers are done. I'm tired of them winning with help, tired of them period, and can't stand Roethilesberger. Plus I admire Tebow. Great or not, he's got a lot of guts and I like the kid.

Totally agree! :cool:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s been just a great WC weekend. I am very happy :)

Totally agree! :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

Uh oh. *Heavy symbolism alert*

AP090108065112.jpg

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Actually... i am still touched. NOBODY in the world expected something like this. We all, around the whole world, had the Broncos at 3- max. 10 points. And then this guy completes every long pass like nobody else did ever before?!? OMG

I was watching No Huddle last week on the NFL Network. Jamie Dukes thought a Broncos win was possible. Not very probable, but possible.

He figured the Pittsburgh Corners wouldn't be great in single coverage, and that the Steelers offence - with an immobile Ben - would have a hard time getting much more than 17 points on the board.

The other guys, and me at home, looked at him like he had two heads.

Dang!

Well, well, well. Pitt got Tebowed. I'm glad for Denver, but not unhappy for Pitt.

I too had picked Pitt to win this, but realized a Denver win was possible. Especially considering not only Ben hobbled, but starting C Pouncey OUT, and starting RB Mendenhall OUT. The backup RB did a nice job though in place of Mendenhall.

But now we have all seen in detail how Denver does it and why it works. My only question is (forget the game clock for a moment) why doesn't Denver run plays like that last TD more often, instead of running on 1st and 2nd downs most of the time? It seems if they mixed it up a little more they might get more consistent results... like at least moving the yardsticks more frequently. I have to admit though, that run-run-pass tendency sure set up Pitt for that final dagger of a play, and they bit on it. Booyah!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
With the way Tebow carries the ball more than half time, as if a pitch, shovel pass or keeper is being telegraphed I was really disappointed in the Steeler linebackers. Why even cover for a pass when Timmy has the longest,slowest motion of any NFL QB in the game. The only flicking he does is up to the heavens after he beats the defenders. The guy must have something that can't be measured because from the time he takes the snap to the time he throws the ball is total slow motion. Tim Wakefield has a faster delivery! I watched the 80 yard overtime miracle about 5 times and it's really amazing. I wish I had bet on the Broncos. I used to cringe watching Shaq shoot free throws, each time like it was the first, every time more ugly than the last. Tebow is the slowest, least graceful,most effective guy in awhile in the NFL.

Well, as I mentioned about 20 posts ago. Shannon Sharpe actually said he thought Denver could win. He got some looks too and people accepted that he's a homer, having played many years in Denver. But his analysis was spot on. He said the Steelers run a lot of exotic zone-blitz defenses used to trip up the QB. That type of style isn't necessary, or even good against a straight forward QB like Tebow. You want to beat him on a conservative, containment type defense. But as Sharpe said, you dance with the lady you brought to the ball, and it wouldn't be easy for the Steelers to change their style. They couldn't, and I think it was most indicative on that last play, with Polamalu crowding the line instead of back where a traditional or conservative safety is. He was protecting the run, and your typical short slant that someone like Brady or Brees throws (and Tebow rarely does). This left the Broncos best receiver in a 1 on 1 situation on a mid-deep post over the middle, and Tebow hit him perfect in stride. Game over. Season over.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, as I mentioned about 20 posts ago. Shannon Sharpe actually said he thought Denver could win. He got some looks too and people accepted that he's a homer, having played many years in Denver. But his analysis was spot on. He said the Steelers run a lot of exotic zone-blitz defenses used to trip up the QB. That type of style isn't necessary, or even good against a straight forward QB like Tebow. You want to beat him on a conservative, containment type defense. But as Sharpe said, you dance with the lady you brought to the ball, and it wouldn't be easy for the Steelers to change their style. They couldn't, and I think it was most indicative on that last play, with Polamalu crowding the line instead of back where a traditional or conservative safety is. He was protecting the run, and your typical short slant that someone like Brady or Brees throws (and Tebow rarely does). This left the Broncos best receiver in a 1 on 1 situation on a mid-deep post over the middle, and Tebow hit him perfect in stride. Game over. Season over.

So what you're saying is, that the Steelers 'out-complicated' themselves on defense and essentailly lost because they didn't keep it simple?:p

I was surprised that they persisted with a partially mobile Big Ben. As the game developed, I was far more interested in seeing the Steelers lose than I was in getting my pick right, so them shooting themselves in the foot worked for me.;)

Amsterhammer said:
So what you're saying is, that the Steelers 'out-complicated' themselves on defense and essentailly lost because they didn't keep it simple?:p

I was surprised that they persisted with a partially mobile Big Ben. As the game developed, I was far more interested in seeing the Steelers lose than I was in getting my pick right, so them shooting themselves in the foot worked for me.;)

Pitt likes to play aggressive defense. Against Denver putting 8 in the box looked to me like they were trying to stop Denver's run options or to put pressure on Tebow, gambling or daring Tebow to beat them long against the man to man coverage. Most teams have 2 play action options; hand off to the RB, or fake the hand off and pass. Denver has 3 play action options; 1) hand off to the RB, 2) Tebow keeps and runs, and 3) pass. Seems Pitt was locked into stopping 1) and 2), hoping man coverage would stop the pass. Denver just had the right offensive call at the right time for that strategy.

Ben... like him or not he knows how to win. His mobility after halftime seemed better (he probably took a shot at halftime for the ankle). In a game like this (win and stay alive in the playoffs or season over) that's what those guys do unless they are injured to the point they can't play.

Next week it's Tebow's former Denver coach (Josh McDaniels who drafted Tebow and who is now on the Pats staff) vs Tebow. Anyone think that gives advantage to the Pats at finding a way to stop Tebow? (other than the obvious advantage)

Having McDaniels will help some. But that doesn't mean all of a sudden the Patriots will have a better defense. Where McDaniels probably helps most isn't this week, but after that, in that he and Brady apparently get along great, and he'll also likely help the receivers some as well, possibly Ochocinco most of all. .

McDaniels is also the perfect guy to help develop Ryan Mallet (maybe Hoyer?) for the future, when Brady decides to retire in a couple years.

NFL.com reports that the Raiders hired Reggie McKenzie as GM, and he promptly fired Hue Jackson. I'm completely baffled by this. How can the Chargers keep Norv Turner and the Raiders fire Jackson??? This sounds as bad, or worse than some of Al Davis firings (Tom Cable, Art Shell anyone?), it's like Mark Davis took over right where his dad left off, though I guess this was McKenzie's doing not Davis, Mark still had to give the OK. The players liked Jackson, he had a decent year after losing some guys and having to switch QB's mid-season. Their defense underperformed, but the team did okay considering everything, and had some hope with Hugh leading them into the future. Now, who are they going to get to replace him? At least Turner isn't available.

Alpe d'Huez said:
NFL.com reports that the Raiders hired Reggie McKenzie as GM, and he promptly fired Hue Jackson. I'm completely baffled by this. How can the Chargers keep Norv Turner and the Raiders fire Jackson??? This sounds as bad, or worse than some of Al Davis firings (Tom Cable, Art Shell anyone?), it's like Mark Davis took over right where his dad left off, though I guess this was McKenzie's doing not Davis, Mark still had to give the OK. The players liked Jackson, he had a decent year after losing some guys and having to switch QB's mid-season. Their defense underperformed, but the team did okay considering everything, and had some hope with Hugh leading them into the future. Now, who are they going to get to replace him? At least Turner isn't available.

Are you kidding me? I was just thinking maybe Al had settled down finally because the Raiders seem to be on the rise. But I had no idea there was a mini-Al (Mark) in the picture. Man, Oakland is as unstable as the San Andreas. And we are talking "thee" ex-Bills OL Reggie McKenzie? Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not a Raider fan, and they can keep making crazy moves as long as it benefits Seattle (e.g. Cable).

Tank Engine said:
Please non-existent being, let it be the Pats
You sound like a believer to me!?!

Re. Raiders. Yes, same Reggie McKenzie. The thought is that they overpaid for Palmer. But he didn't play that bad after sitting the first half of the season and not knowing the Raiders scheme. The worst thing for a QB is to switch coaches all the time (ask Alex Smith). Here's a link criticizing the firing.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
6. DEN

They are the Seahawks of 2011. This team don´t belong into the playoffs. They get out-scored, out-passed and depend on pure luck when winning. I hope for one more win like this (vs. PIT), but it´s unrealstic to think it will happen.... I got caught in the Tebow-Hype and made one of the stupidest bets of all time (not here at cycnews, but in "my" NFL-Sports-Bar after too many beers).

My picks for the weekend:
CIN 13, HOU 21
DET 24, NO 38
ATL 20, NYG 24
PIT 20, DEN 10

I am also glad my only wrong pick was the DEN-PIT game. I am still happy about that.... and again in the middle of the Tebow-Hype :)

on3m@n@rmy said:
I like your predictions for the games this week except ATL 20, NYG 24. I think the weak pass D of NY is going to get picked on by the strong passing game by ATL. Then as a result, pass sets up the run for ATL. I'm taking ATL ftw.

Well, well.... we should have had our bet on this one. ;)

Amsterhammer said:
Alright baby!

Love seeing the Steelers lose like that!

Yes, yes

Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow! Was worried about some of those calls, but damn if that wasn't an impressive performance from Tebow and the Broncos.

I was worried too.In the 1st milli second the call (backward fumble) was not reversed, i had Vegas/Mob in my mind. I thought: No, no, not again like PIT-ARZ & PIT-SEA...
For what the replay rule, if you can´t even correct the worst calls? I don´t get it. Just b/c they blew the whistle? The NFL really should re-think the whole replay concept... Imagine PIT had won

Bag_O_Wallet said:
He figured the Pittsburgh Corners wouldn't be great in single coverage, and that the Steelers offence - with an immobile Ben - would have a hard time getting much more than 17 points on the board.

The other guys, and me at home, looked at him like he had two heads.

Dang!

Well. We shouldn´t criticise the man coverage too much. I think PIT had the right tactics, otherwise DEN would have run over them 60 times.
Actually we talk about the No.-1-NFL-Pass-D here, which should be able to be successful with these tactics!
And, PIT was thinking (as everybody else, including me) that Tebow can´t pass (i am still not sold on his slow motion throws and arm strenght. On every pass he needs to bring all the power into his throws, b/c the back foot is always lifted in the air. His throws seem not to come natural. But that´s ok w/me as long he completes them).
Imagine, against one of the greatest offenses (NE) the man coverage worked wonder. PIT was the first team this year stopping them. It´s just bad for PIT that Taylor had a bad game on the worst time. I still wonder how he can be faked to the outside, yet he correctly covered the inside before the play unfolded, by just one small move (i mean on the 80-Y-TD).

on3m@n@rmy said:
Well, well, well. Pitt got Tebowed. I'm glad for Denver, but not unhappy for Pitt.

I too had picked Pitt to win this, but realized a Denver win was possible. Especially considering not only Ben hobbled, but starting C Pouncey OUT, and starting RB Mendenhall OUT. The backup RB did a nice job though in place of Mendenhall.

But now we have all seen in detail how Denver does it and why it works. My only question is (forget the game clock for a moment) why doesn't Denver run plays like that last TD more often, instead of running on 1st and 2nd downs most of the time? It seems if they mixed it up a little more they might get more consistent results... like at least moving the yardsticks more frequently. I have to admit though, that run-run-pass tendency sure set up Pitt for that final dagger of a play, and they bit on it. Booyah!

I think it was a great game plan by DEN "to dull" PIT into thinking run on every first down.* And then boom, the OT-Pass came absolutely unexpected.
... and i am happy PIT is out, as you know.

(EDIT) *BTW, that was the tactic of the late 60s/70s. Shula did it, Noll did it, Lombardi did it. All those great teams (next to others) led or nearly led the NFL in passing effieciency, Y/PP that is...

Tank Engine said:
Please non-existent being, let it be the Pats

Here i go with the Pats too. And at least Alpe knows i didn´t like NE b/c of Beli-Cheat and the handed SB in 2001. But NE´s style is so beautiful since 2007, i can´t do anything else but to sheer for them against DEN.

Finally, the mainstream thinks NO has to run vs. SF´s No.-1-Run-D :)rolleyes:) to prevail (old 70´s thinking).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/201...w-orleans-saints-need-run-san-francisco-49ers

They couldn´t be more wrong. If NO is going to do that, they are doomed.
I hope Payton does the same what McCarthy did in the SB vs the then No.-1-Run-D of PIT: Come out pass, pass, pass.... attack! In the end GB had 11 runs including Rodgers scrambles. That´s the blueprint for NO here.

And it´s funny how these guys always want to tell us that beautiful football is finesse only and ugly defense football is mean, straight forward and blablabla... as if pass blocking would be a clean act of brotherly love :rolleyes:

@Foxxy... hahahahahaha, okaaaaaay rub it in. :)
We should have bet on that ATL-NYJ game too. But I prolly would not have taken that bet. Ya know, the Giants, Eli, Coughlin, the playoffs, anything could happen especially vs a slightly better than average ATL. Not a sure enough thing for me. ;) But if it helps, you really look good in yellow signing # "7".

Interesting the thinktank thoughts that NO needs to run vs SF. I will say though, NO could use the pass to set up the run and get their yards on the ground that way. Just enough to keep SF guessing and to work the clock.

TRENDING THREADS