• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Caught the NFL show on ESPN tonight - they seem convinced that whatever happens with Peyton's health, he's out of Indy. There is apparently total upheaval in the organization with numerous coaches already fired and more expecting to go. They're talking about serious re-building, which clearly will be with Luck.

Can one of you explain this 'bonus' of 26m or so that Peyton is meant to be due in March? What does it depend on? Does he get some, most, or all of that even if he leaves the club?

I don't know that, but can try to look it up later. But I fully agree that Payton will be traded. It's just a matter of finding the right team, one who will dole out the money. My guess would be Washington, Kansas City or Cleveland. IF he's healthy he has I would guess two good years left. Maybe one more if lucky. I think this year also showed how much of an MVP he is. Seriously, they went from being a Superbowl prospect and getting there in 2009, to finishing dead last and 2-14 without him.

I like Andrew Luck and think he will have a very good NFL career, maybe a great one with some MVP and SB rings. But the Colts with him at the helm are going to suck for the next couple of years.

Raiders just hired Dennis Allen as their next head coach. This is a good pick, but maybe a risky one. He was thought to be HC material in a couple years, and I'm sure the Raiders are hoping he's the next Sean Payton, or even Josh McDaniels or Jason Garrett. Plus he's a defensive mind, and the Raiders have good players that way underperformed on defense late in the year.

@Amster: I don't know about Peyton's contract, but often players will get a bonus payment later in their contract years. Sometimes players who have those kinds of clauses in their contracts and who have really declined in their production at that point are prime targets to get released so the team can avoid paying the huge bonus. Then it does not count against their cap. But WAIT... do they even have a cap now??? Well, team's can at least avoid paying the bonus.

Anyone think Peyton, if traded, could end up in a blockbuster trade? Maybe not to the same level but as close as we may ever see compared to the Herschel Walker trade from Dallas to the Vikes? The Vikes gave up 5 players and 6 draft picks for Walker.

Well, they're not going to release him, no way. But that would entirely remove the money from under the cap, but they'd get nothing in return. I imagine they're going to start floating his name within a week or two and see what kind of bites they get and with help from Manning's agent, get teams into somewhat of a bidding war of sorts.

He's aging, and coming off a season ending injury without playing a game, so that means he won't get a huge deal. But he's still Peyton Manning and the potential for instant winning is huge and level of greatness cannot be questioned. Unless he's too hurt. So, I can see a couple of picks, maybe a 1st round pick, and a player or two, or something like that.

People think of him in a Colts uniform, but it's going to end, I really think so. I liken it to when Steve Young replaced Joe Montana in SF. Granted, Young sat most of a year behind Joe, and then in Joe's last year Steve started something like 14 games while Joe was hurt. But at the end of the year Siefert decided to stick with Young (big mistake if you ask me, and they got beat in the playoffs), and Joe was off to Kansas City for one good year, and one mediocre year before retiring. I can see something very similar for Manning, though I think he may have one more year in the tank than Joe did. If he's healthy of course.

I really think Washington is the best fit, I really do. That's if Washington doesn't pursue Matt Flynn (I think Seattle will, as their GM used to be in GB), or trade up to get RG3 so Cleveland or TB doesn't take him. Kansas City and Cleveland are also possible as they have some vets. But KC has Matt Cassell who was a little above average before getting hurt, and Cleveland has Colt McCoy, and I don't know if they'll give up on him, though each team might if they can get Manning. Arizona would be an outside shot as well.

The deal will happen before March. Definitely before the draft. It's only a matter of time. Tick, tick, tick...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
With all the rumblings I have heard about Peyton, I think you are right Alpe that he likely will no longer be a Colt. Especially with all of the coach and front office changes.

Kind of sad if you ask me. You mentioned SF did it with Joe and the Raiders did it with Marcus, and I didn't care for those decisions either even while I was not a fan of either team. Or Seattle & Matt, though Hass was no where near the player that Joe or Peyton were, so that makes Matt's case a bit different.

I think Peyton still has enough demand for some kind of trade to work out. The question is not just what the Colts could get in return in terms of players or draft picks, but how much of Peyton's current contract the Colts would still be responsible for and how much of it the new team would be responsible for. Then if the right combination of players and contract dollars does NOT develop, then maybe the Colts realease him. All that can be affected by how many teams get into a bidding war for Peyton and how much they want to give up for a couple years of service. But I do think that his release is a remote possibility.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
With all the rumblings I have heard about Peyton, I think you are right Alpe that he likely will no longer be a Colt. Especially with all of the coach and front office changes.

Kind of sad if you ask me. You mentioned SF did it with Joe and the Raiders did it with Marcus, and I didn't care for those decisions either even while I was not a fan of either team. Or Seattle & Matt, though Hass was no where near the player that Joe or Peyton were, so that makes Matt's case a bit different.

I think Peyton still has enough demand for some kind of trade to work out. The question is not just what the Colts could get in return in terms of players or draft picks, but how much of Peyton's current contract the Colts would still be responsible for and how much of it the new team would be responsible for. Then if the right combination of players and contract dollars does NOT develop, then maybe the Colts realease him. All that can be affected by how many teams get into a bidding war for Peyton and how much they want to give up for a couple years of service. But I do think that his release is a remote possibility.

So can we reach a concensus on what will happen to Peyton.

From what I've read it does appear that he'll be moving on and I think it's probably the best move for both. I can't see Indy challenging for a couple of years at at least regardless of who's QB by which time Peyton must surely be in decline if hes still playing and they have a chance to pick up the best QB prospect in years according any report I've read. They won't get another no1 pick if Peyton comes back. Peyton must feel he's got another title in him but not for much longer so will want to go somewhere where he can make difference and instantly challenge.

The fact his brother is also playing complicates imo. I can't see the two of them in the same division- and I'm not sure he'd want to go to Washington either given the long standing problems there.

Jets? Two Mannings in NY? Dunno. He could make the difference but would he fancy playing for Ryan either.

I'm interested in where you think he'll go: this presupposes he does go of course.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
How about a poll?

Manning stays,
goes to NYJ,
to WAS,
to ARZ,
retires,
goes to other team,
Saskatchewan Roughriders (just kidding).

I guess he´s going to ARZ. Warner revived his career there. Receivers are good, winning is possible...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
1.)
I actually think the 49ers were better than Foxxy gives them credit for. They had an excellent defense. Sure, they were more like a 10-6 team than a 13-3 team, but they were pretty good.

2.)
As to the other game, sure the Ravens should have won, but they didn't. Yeah, Cundit missed an easy FG, and Flacco played much better than most people thought.

3.)
Here is why: I think the Pats defense isn't very good, despite the last two games.

4.)
I just don't think it will be enough, and it's NE's character to throw the ball 50+ times a game with Brady, so I'm taking the Giants in a 31-27 game.

5.)
Or one turnover, period.

1.)
I don´t mean SF was bad. But more like ATL in 2010, so i totally agree with you, they are more of an 10-6 team.

2.)
I think Beli-Cheat at his best here.
Strongly recommend this read:
http://deadspin.com/5878655/billy-c...-the-gillette-stadium-scoreboard?popular=true

3.)
That´s what gives me ulcers. :eek:
I am fully aware of this weak spot. As i said in my playoff preview, Brady (& Brees, Rodgers) can´t afford to have a bad game b/c of their defenses. Well it happened already to all of them: May one too much Int by Brees, Rodgers receivers spoiled his day completely, Brady had a nervous game but just came away with it. Among other things, i was shocked when he missed a wide open Gronk (?) for an easy TD.

4.)
I think you are not right here. Bill Belichick is genius. He´ll do what´s necessary to prevail (outside of this questionable game plans in the SB 2007, and last year vs. NYJ). He´s playing to the strenghts of his teams. And if he sees running the ball 50 times can make it, he´ll do.

5.)
The other reason for getting ulcers. Totally agree, one turnover more than the opp. will be the decisive factor.

SirLes said:
1.)
You can't get lucky and if any of the teams that made the playoffs and then won the next three or four games against the remaining teams have deserved it no question.

2.)
You dismiss SF as one of the top sides and don't consider Baltimore or the Steelers. I suspect because they haven't won big during the season. Personally a win is a win in my book. Yes, if points are level at the end of the season points/goals difference can count but wins and losses are the main thing.

1.)
I can´t agree on this. All those teams who are on a hot streak qualify for what it actually is: A hot streak. Some teams have it to start the regular season (they´ll be forgotten). Some win as wildcards on nail biters (those sometimes win the SB as non near the best teams, most recently the 2007-NYG).
In my opinion and of many europeans, the best teams are those who were excellent the whole season.

2.)
Wasn´t intentionally (PIT, BAL). ;)
I just used your examples. Clearly the Steelers and may the Ravens were better than the Giants too. But on SF you are right. I explained that lenghtly.

SirLes said:
1.)
An alternative reading was that they had been given clear instructions that on a wet field it was better to go to ground and avoid the risk of a fumble than fight for extra yards.

2.)
I actually think the problems that the Giants had to sort out during the season, notably injuries and run defence has left them in a stronger position now.

1.)
That would be a great tactic by Coughlin. It sounds reasonable.

2.)
... well, the run D is even worse in the playoffs (5,0 Y/R allowed; might be due to small sample size) than during the RS (4,5 Y/R allowed). Anyway, here lays may big hope for NE.

Alpe d'Huez said:
A couple of years ago there were complaints that the league rigged the schedule to favor some teams, I believe the Patriots, Giants and Bears were mentioned. But none of them got very far in the playoffs.

There have also been other teams that have had "missing rings" simply because they had a bad day at the wrong time, just like the Saints and Packers this year. Remember he 15-1 Vikings team with Cunningham? The 14-2 Chargers that lost to the Patriots. The 12-4 Chargers with Fouts, Joiner, Winslow, etc. The 2006 Colts who blew their game with the Steelers, and of course the unbeaten Patriots. It leaves a sour taste in your mouth, but it's also the way the game goes sometimes.

The schedule might be the only thing that can´t be fixed. They have strict formulas there since somehow forever. No manipulation possible here (elsewhere, of course).

Yeah one game can spoil the whole season. I still don´t like it, agree with you. Here´s the biggest upset ever, and guess what? The Giants won :mad:: (scroll down to No. 1)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...twelve-greatest-upsets-in-nfl-playoff-history

Amsterhammer said:
Can one of you explain this 'bonus' of 26m or so that Peyton is meant to be due in March? What does it depend on? Does he get some, most, or all of that even if he leaves the club?

He simply needs to make the 80-Men-Roster in march... and boom he´s 26 million dollar richer. But it seems Irsay don´t care about money. He showed it, and said it between the lines many times. He could built schools for thousands and thousands in africa. I hate decadence...

on3m@n@rmy said:
@Amster: I don't know about Peyton's contract, but often players will get a bonus payment later in their contract years.

Yes, yes, the good old roster bonus. It´s an automatic unless you are released prior to the off season. They do this, b/c they are prorated like signing bonuses. All cap arithmetic.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, they're not going to release him, no way.

I think they will, b/c nobody wants (ok, maybe Hue Jackson... ahh no he´s gone:D) to pay him 26 mio unsure if he makes it to the pre season.

Apparently how it works is on March 8th, if the Colts don't pick up his $28m option, or trade him, he's an unrestricted a free agent. The fly in the ointment is that no one knows how how healthy he'll be then, making his trade value low. Now, if he gets a full check up soon and the doctors all say he's in better shape than ever and his neck is healed, it would make it interesting. But right now I think they'll just let him go.

As to what team, Arizona is a very good pick. They have a lot of tools already, Kolb and Skelton are both really just career back-up QB's. Sure, I'll vote Arizona, them or Washington, maybe KC. The reason why I think Cleveland and Miami are probably out is because they aren't very good. Arizona has more potential, so I could see him landing there. There's also the chance a team that's already decent may be willing to dump their current QB to get him. Like San Francisco, Dallas, or Denver. Which then makes you wonder where their QB will end up.

I should have said I think Matt Flynn will go to Miami. Either Miami or Seattle. With Joe Philbin heading to coach Miami, and their owner likely more to wheel and deal, I would guess the Dolphins. Something tells me the QB that the Seahawks and Pete Carroll really want, and are willing to give up a lot for, is Matt Barkley. Plus, Seattle is planning on being good in 2-3 years and beyond. If they finish 9-7 next year I think they'll be happy.

As to Seattle and Matt Hasselback, he did take them to the Superbowl. He also had a pretty decent year in Tennessee, and despite getting old he was still much better than Tavaris Jackson. So yes, I could see how Seahawk fans were upset with his departure. The Titans are actually in a good position. They should have made the playoffs, and when Jake Locker played he looked good. In a year or two Matt will retire and there's a lot of indication that Locker will be a good pro QB.

I too think Sanchez is out in New York. Probably several more players, or coaches. Curious if LT will retire, or what will happen with Greg McElroy.

I think the biggest problem Luck is going to have is that the Colts are going to stink. I also think he's being too overhyped. There's just going to be too much to live up to. As Foxxy said, how many high draft pick QBs have there been that were busts? Or even just average? And then there's Tom Brady...

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree about Luck. He's going to need some help there and is going to have to deal with a huge amount of pressure not just because he'll be the no1 pick and all the hype that's gone before but also stepping into Manning's shoes. I can see people expecting a play off place in his first season as a minimum.

According to the official NFL site Arizona looks a good choice for Manning the Warner similarity might persude people to try that again. I qute like the SF49s idea. Add a good WR and Manning to that run game and defence and you could have a really good side. Aso they're in an easier division increasing the chance of a playoff spot. (Also a reason to go to Arizona of course plus they have a dome to help keep those stats high!)

Going back to Foxxy's analysis of the different points made. I agree about being good over the whole season being a European ideal and certainly found the whole league/cup combo odd at first but not as much as the idea that you all have different schedules. Similarly I have grown up with the whole idea of promotion and relegation and teams that stay in one place! Once you accept that the structure is designed to keep as many teams interested for as long as possible, prevent teams dominating and keep alive the whole any given sunday bit then the play off structure makes perfect sense. If they did decide to go all European with different leagues, promotion-relegation , home and away 3 points for a win etc I wouldn't complain but most of the owners would!

As for the Giants Run D; against the Falcons and Green Bay the QB was the biggest ground threat. I don't see Brady running as much as Ryan or Rodgers. NE will run but only to create doubt and therefore less pressure on Brady.

As for turnovers I hope it isn't decided by that. I think it will come down to who has the ball last. Clock management could be vital. You wouldn't want to give either Manning or Brady the chance to drive down the field in the last couple of minutes to win because they will!

(Just checked the stats from the regular season NE had 49 pass attempts and 24 rushing, Giants 39 pass and 29 rushing. There were also 4 fumbles and 3 interceptions in total. The Giants were without Nicks and Bradshaw as well BTW)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I think Beli-Cheat at his best here.
Meh. They had a time out in the bag and no one called it.
3.) As i said in my playoff preview, Brady (& Brees, Rodgers) can´t afford to have a bad game b/c of their defenses. Well it happened already to all of them.
True. Brady himself said he had a bad game on Sunday. Though it was really just average, against a very solid defense.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, Eli has yet to have a bad game in the playoffs. Just imagine if he plays on Sunday like he did against Washington a month ago...
I think you are not right here. Bill Belichick is genius. He´ll do what´s necessary to prevail (outside of this questionable game plans in the SB 2007, and last year vs. NYJ).
He does have a history of coming up with game plans that take away opposing team's strengths, and exploiting their flaws. He did it against the Ravens and Rice. And I agree he's the best coach in the NFL (him or wunderkind Sean Payton), though "Pops" Coughlin is pretty cagey too. But yes, let's face it. Belicheck is the best. He's a diabolical genius.

I do think though if they follow your game plan, they can win. They were able to run fairly well against the Ravens, and obviously the Giants don't defend the run as well as Baltimore. But is running going to be enough in today's passing game? But last year they didn't/couldn't run at all against the Jets, who played a constant dime or quarter package, often having only 1LB and safeties playing at the LB position. If the Giants get out to a lead they could push NE into this similar situation. I also still think the Giants are going to be able to rush four down lineman and disrupt Brady. The Pats could negate this if they run the ball well successfully.

I also have to think Belicheck and especially Brady have to be highly motivated by revenge here. The last SB loss was the one real blemish on their careers, especially Brady. Tom can be emotional, but last year against the Jets he seemed to have a lack of urgency, like the were way overconfident, same with 08. I don't see that happening this year. He just has to be burning up inside with a desire to have the biggest game of his life. But he doesn't play defense, so...

As far as hot streaks go, let's be honest here, the best teams this year were the Saints and Packers. But both had crappy games at the worst possible time, against teams playing well. There's only so much you can analyze beyond that. So until they change some rules, we're going to have teams like the Giants prepping and winning at the end of the year. Or this year's Broncos. Or last year's Seahawks going 7-9 and taking out the Saints in the playoffs. They almost took out the Bears the week after that as well. With the way the divisions and playoffs are set-up, it's only a matter of time before an 8-8 or 7-9 team wins a Superbowl.

FIRST, I gotta say you guys, SirLes too, can write books/theses. I dub thee Dr. Foxxy and Dr. d'Huez.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
3.) That´s what gives me ulcers. :eek:

4.) I think you are not right here. Bill Belichick is genius. He´ll do what´s necessary to prevail (outside of this questionable game plans in the SB 2007, and last year vs. NYJ). He´s playing to the strenghts of his teams. And if he sees running the ball 50 times can make it, he´ll do.

Bra, you gotta stop wagering money to get rid of those ulcers. ;)

BabyChick, BeliCheat, or whatever we call him is a genious game planner. But if not for some missed opportunities by the Ravens (I count 3 big ones) the Pats would be sitting out the next dance. What I'm saying is the Pats are beatable. The NYG offense should have an easier time vs NE than they did SF, so I think the Giant offense has a chance of staying even with the Pats. I give the edge on defense to the Giants. So I'll pick the Geeeee-Men in a close one over the Pats. But as in the SF-NYG game, turnovers could be the key in a close game.

Alpe d'Huez said:
As to what team, Arizona is a very good pick. They have a lot of tools already, Kolb and Skelton are both really just career back-up QB's. Sure, I'll vote Arizona, them or Washington, maybe KC. The reason why I think Cleveland and Miami are probably out is because they aren't very good. Arizona has more potential, so I could see him landing there. There's also the chance a team that's already decent may be willing to dump their current QB to get him. Like San Francisco, Dallas, or Denver. Which then makes you wonder where their QB will end up.

Arizona is a real possiblity. Plus Peyton in a situation like Arizona is also a good situation for Kolb... learn from the master. I also think that Wash or KC are possibilities.

But how about this option. Weren't the Raiders a little unsettled on how Palmer ended the season? I don't recall. But, what are the chances Peyton could end up a Raider? They have a pretty good team. Peyton there could put them in the playoffs... more like SHOULD put them in the playoffs in that division. I know on paper SD is pretty good too, but to me they are an underachieving enigma.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
FIRST, I gotta say you guys, SirLes too, can write books/theses. I dub thee Dr. Foxxy and Dr. d'Huez.

Aren't they just? It's like an NFL primer in here. I don't understand the half of what they're on about, but it sure looks and sounds impressive.:cool:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Meh. They had a time out in the bag and no one called it.

There is speculation that BAL waited for Belichick to call the usual "ice the kicker" time out. Well, he didn´t. Together with the linked story about the scoreboard, it makes Beli-Cheat double genius in one deciding play.

Alpe d'Huez said:
If it makes you feel more comfortable, Eli has yet to have a bad game in the playoffs. Just imagine if he plays on Sunday like he did against Washington a month ago...

I hope so...

Alpe d'Huez said:
He does have a history of coming up with game plans that take away opposing team's strengths, and exploiting their flaws. He did it against the Ravens and Rice. And I agree he's the best coach in the NFL (him or wunderkind Sean Payton), though "Pops" Coughlin is pretty cagey too. But yes, let's face it. Belicheck is the best. He's a diabolical genius.

"diabolical genius".... hits the nail on the head, nice description

Alpe d'Huez said:
I do think though if they follow your game plan, they can win. They were able to run fairly well against the Ravens, and obviously the Giants don't defend the run as well as Baltimore. But is running going to be enough in today's passing game? But last year they didn't/couldn't run at all against the Jets, who played a constant dime or quarter package, often having only 1LB and safeties playing at the LB position. If the Giants get out to a lead they could push NE into this similar situation. I also still think the Giants are going to be able to rush four down lineman and disrupt Brady. The Pats could negate this if they run the ball well successfully.

Obvious. It´s still the passing that wins you the games. I had more in mind he moves the chains and tires the defense with a lot of running, but still it all depends on Brady to make the big plays with passing. A perfect example was DEN vs. PIT. "Dull´em" with running then hit the long one(s) vs. man coverage. Efficient passing (Y/PP) will (next to turnovers) decide the game. I think NE has the advantage here anyways.
My "secret" MVP pick is Branch, the forgotten man. I see something like 4 catches for 130 yards and one or two TD´s.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I also have to think Belicheck and especially Brady have to be highly motivated by revenge here. The last SB loss was the one real blemish on their careers, especially Brady. Tom can be emotional, but last year against the Jets he seemed to have a lack of urgency, like the were way overconfident, same with 08. I don't see that happening this year. He just has to be burning up inside with a desire to have the biggest game of his life. But he doesn't play defense, so...

Those two games were unlike NE. No surprises (formation-wise, trick plays, fakes etc.) plus wrong clock tactics. I still wonder what went on behind the curtains. It just didn´t look right. I am convinced of some "foul play" here. You know what i mean....

Alpe d'Huez said:
As far as hot streaks go, let's be honest here, the best teams this year were the Saints and Packers. But both had crappy games at the worst possible time, against teams playing well. There's only so much you can analyze beyond that. So until they change some rules, we're going to have teams like the Giants prepping and winning at the end of the year. Or this year's Broncos. Or last year's Seahawks going 7-9 and taking out the Saints in the playoffs. They almost took out the Bears the week after that as well. With the way the divisions and playoffs are set-up, it's only a matter of time before an 8-8 or 7-9 team wins a Superbowl.

No doubt about that. Saints and Packers were best in the NFC. And NE in the AFC. The problem is; the more teams qualifying for playoffs the higher the chance one obscure team comes trou. Just remember in the past times it was 1st of East vs. 1st of West. .500 or just above teams just weren´t allowed to make the playoffs... Back to the basics! Anyway, i know they never will. Too much money to milk out of playoffs at the expense of fair competition.

on3m@n@rmy said:

Yeah Alpe let´s write a book. Titled like "Pro Football History Revisited (... a look into statistics, lucky outcomes, drug use and influence by the gambling industry)" ;)

on3m@n@rmy said:
Bra, you gotta stop wagering money to get rid of those ulcers. ;)

Actually i hope my bet on NYG will help me out in the possible darkest hour of this season.

on3m@n@rmy said:
But how about this option. Weren't the Raiders a little unsettled on how Palmer ended the season? I don't recall. But, what are the chances Peyton could end up a Raider? They have a pretty good team.

I think they are running out of "tradeable (? :eek:)" picks and/or Cap money by signing like 10 QB´s during the past season.

Amsterhammer said:
Aren't they just? It's like an NFL primer in here. I don't understand the half of what they're on about, but it sure looks and sounds impressive.:cool:

now that´s funny.... readers of cycnews get it all first hand.

Amsterhammer said:

Hey, maybe we can work on getting Skype feeds into forum posts. Then we can have the first global CN NFL primer.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
There is speculation that BAL waited for Belichick to call the usual "ice the kicker" time out. Well, he didn´t. Together with the linked story about the scoreboard, it makes Beli-Cheat double genius in one deciding play.

That would be a genius move. I can imagine what might have been going through the kicker's mind as the ball was snapped. Wondering if the refs whistles are going to blow right in mid-swing. Twitch... miss.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Actually i hope my bet on NYG will help me out in the possible darkest hour of this season.

The bets. Stop it! I'm trying to help you out here. :D ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Hey, maybe we can work on getting Skype feeds into forum posts. Then we can have the first global CN NFL primer.

That would be a genius move. I can imagine what might have been going through the kicker's mind as the ball was snapped. Wondering if the refs whistles are going to blow right in mid-swing. Twitch... miss.

The bets. Stop it! I'm trying to help you out here. :D ;)

Haha, Cundiff going trou the motions, praying for the whistle while he swings his leg. Wish we could make cartoons here.

The Bets: Yeah, i know. LOL. Otherwise i might have to carry two wonderlance avatars at once next season. ;)

gobuck said:
The home team doesn't control the score board. A employee of the NFL does. Maybe he took a bribe and fixed it. Maybe not.

Yes, we´ll never know. Most likely the employee comes from Boston area (like the official scorer), thus i am sure he didn´t even needed a bribe...

Ahhhh, that can't be it. The Ravens blew it. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Belicheck was watching, saw them being rushed and made certain to thus not call the "freeze the kicker" TO. But the Ravens had a TO and didn't use it, that's what lost the game.

As I said, Belicheck is a mastermind, a diabolical genius. He looks like someone's uncle, but behind that quiet demeanor is a very cunning mind.

If the Cardinals get Peyton, Kolb will be gone. They won't pay him that much to sit on the bench, as he's as he got a fairly fat contract. They'll try to groom Skelton behind Manning, or get another draft pick (if they have one) in the future.

As to the Raiders, Palmer didn't play that bad in the big picture, considering he was rushed into service and didn't have very good protection. Though they probably did overpay for him. Look at it this way, he probably is going to be better than Jason Campbell next year, but right now the Raiders have both on the books, plus Terrell Pryor who they are going to try to develop (he has size and is an athlete, but questionable accuracy. But he did show a good attitude this year), and they badly need help elsewhere. They could try to dump both Palmer and Campbell, but I don't know what the contracts are like that would free up enough room to purchase Peyton. It is possible though I suppose.

If you believe in hexes, jinxes, superstition, then the Giants will win. Sports Illustrated just put Brady on the cover.

images

Just two weeks ago on the cover, and January of 2000:

0123_thumb.jpg
_________
0122_thumb.jpg

I might be.

NO Won the SB, DB made this cover, then lost to SEA next year in playoffs:
Madden_11_Drew_Brees_cover.jpg

In the SB following this release, NO beat IND in the SB. And OFC the rest was history in GB:
Madden_NFL_09_Coverart.jpg

Vince's OOPS year followed:
Madden_NFL_08_Coverart.png

From TD record-setting year to NoWhereMan:
Madden_NFL_07_Coverart.png

And 5 images is the limit.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
OTOH, every US outdoor Pro Football League Champ since 1920 (including AAFC, AFL, WFL, USFL) was at least 3 games over .500 :p
The Giants just managed to be 2 above. They are cursed, not by pics but by numbers. :D

EDIT: That is a 110 seasons long jinx...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the 3 games over .500 would apply to all North American major sports, not just NFL football. I don't have time to look it up, but I'd be surprised if it's not true in MLB, NHL and the NBA.

The cover jinx goes further however. Vikings upset loss to the Chiefs and the Jets beating the Colts also happened right after their teams were on the cover. It's a pretty fascinating phenomenon, actually.

Meanwhile, don't stop there with Madden. Most of these guys were affected. And poor Peyton Hillis. Hurt, and ended up with an attitude about it. He's got to be glad the season is over more than anyone.

Madden-Cover-Athletes.jpg

peyton-hillis-madden-cover-med.jpg

TRENDING THREADS