• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aaron Rodgers wins the MVP. No surprise there. Best QB rating in NFL history at 122.5. An incredible 45 TDs and only 6 interceptions.

Brees got the consolation prize of offensive player of the year.

Terrell Suggs was defensive player of the year.

Cam Newton was the offensive rookie of the year. Von Miller won for defensive rookie.

Matthew Stafford won the comeback player of the year award.

San Francisco's Jim Harbaugh won the coach of the year.

agree on Stafford. But they'd rather give it to someone rather than pass on the year like in 1985.

PAST WINNERS OF THE NFL COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR:
1972 Earl Morrall Miami Dolphins QB
1973 Roman Gabriel Philadelphia Eagles QB
1974 Joe Namath New York Jets QB
1975 Dave Hampton Atlanta Falcons RB
1976 Greg Landry Detroit Lions QB
1977 Craig Morton Denver Broncos QB
1978 John Riggins Washington Redskins RB
1979 Larry Csonka Miami Dolphins FB
1980 Jim Plunkett Oakland Raiders QB
1981 Ken Anderson Cincinnati Bengals QB
1982 Lyle Alzado Los Angeles Raiders DE
1983 Billy Johnson Atlanta Falcons WR
1984 John Stallworth Pittsburgh Steelers WR
1985 No Award
1986 Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers QB
……...Tommy Kramer Minnesota Vikings QB (shared award)
1987 Charles White Los Angeles Rams RB
1988 Greg Bell Los Angeles Rams RB
1989 Ottis Anderson New York Giants RB
1990 Barry Word Kansas City Chiefs RB
1991 Jim McMahon Philadelphia Eagles QB
1992 Randall Cunningham Philadelphia Eagles QB
1993 Marcus Allen Kansas City Chiefs RB
1994 Dan Marino Miami Dolphins QB
1995 Jim Harbaugh Indianapolis Colts QB
……...Garrison Hearst Arizona Cardinals RB (shared award)
1996 Jerome Bettis Pittsburgh Steelers RB
1997 Robert Brooks Green Bay Packers WR
1998 Doug Flutie Buffalo Bills QB
1999 Bryant Young San Francisco 49ers DT
2000 Joe Johnson New Orleans Saints DE
2001 Garrison Hearst San Francisco 49ers RB
2002 Tommy Maddox Pittsburgh Steelers QB
2003 Jon Kitna Cincinnati Bengals QB
2004 Willis McGahee Buffalo Bills RB
2005 Steve Smith Carolina Panthers WR
……...Tedy Bruschi New England Patriots LB (shared award)
2006 Chad Pennington New York Jets QB
2007 Greg Ellis Dallas Cowboys DE
2008 Chad Pennington Miami Dolphins QB
2009 Tom Brady New England Patriots QB
2010 Michael Vick Philadelphia Eagles QB
2011 Alex Smith San Francisco 49ers QB

I kind of raise the eyebrow with Kitna in 2003.

If Joe Theismann had ever played another down after breaking his leg in 1985, compliments of Lawence Taylor & Harry Carson of the NYG, he should get the NFL Comeback Player of the Century (they'd have to create that award as it does not exist ATM).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I kind of raise the eyebrow with Kitna in 2003.

Me too. :confused:

So guys, i make myself ready to go. At kick off time i wanna be ready (speak drunk). No, just kidding. It´s the last game. I´ve to prolong the end as long as possible. :) What we do from tomorrow on? I ask myself this Q every year since 1985.

Final lines before i put off my computer:
2 1/2 to 3 and O/U 53 1/2 to 54. So i am over both lines.

For the sake of the game, let´s all :)D) hope they let NE win. I still hope for a blow out and many Eli Int´s.

Cheers, enjoy it while you can. :)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I can't believe the guy from Kid and Play got cut right before the big game

628x471.jpg

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
What we do from tomorrow on?
Follow cycling?!

ESPN gave their big list of picks today, if anyone wants to read it. Most pick the Giants, but it's fairly even. Link here.

Finally, here's what I think will happen: I think the Patriots will try to mix it up and jump out to a lead. I think the Giants will try to grind the game out with a lot of short to medium passes, and a few runs. If the Patriots get behind, or stop running the ball, or can't, they're in trouble. As I've said all along, turnovers, mistakes, etc. could be a big factor. Same with whomever has the ball last (with enough time). But I'm sticking with my original prediction. The Giants weren't as good during the regular season, but have been of late, and they've had luck on their side, so I'll pick them to win about 31-27. Unless Brady is on fire and the Pats win 40-24. :)

See you guys after the game.

Scott SoCal said:
Interesting finish. Manning 2, Brady 0.

As a Pats fan, cant really have any complaints. If Welker had caught that easy ball on the previous drive I think the game was over. I think Gronq being below par was a big blow.

Also wondering why if they were to let Giants score, why didnt they let them do it the play before. Would have saved a TO and saved a little more time on the clock.

Game went very much like I expected. Teams evenly matched, mistakes were the difference (Brady's int, the two dropped balls, the offside call when NYG were stuck deep). But in the end, the better team won I guess. Rather drab game though. No big plays, no dramatic plays. Hopefully someone else will get in next year.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
As a Pats fan, cant really have any complaints. If Welker had caught that easy ball on the previous drive I think the game was over. I think Gronq being below par was a big blow.

Also wondering why if they were to let Giants score, why didnt they let them do it the play before. Would have saved a TO and saved a little more time on the clock.

...or why they didn't go for it on fourth down the series before giving Eli the ball.

Yeah, not too many really big plays. But at least the game was not sloppy for the most part with exception of Welker's drop. But the game had lots of little plays that added up. Well, if there was one big play is was Manningham's huge catch on the sideline as he was going out of bounds. That kept the drive alive. Overall, the Giants were able to convert a lot of 3rd downs. Manning was as cool as a cucumber the entire game. I know his teammates feel that. After Brady threw that INT I thought he looked a little off (even tho he still made some good throws). I don't really have anything to base that on other than a feeling. The stats for NFL games in general used to be that if the defense holds the opposing team to 17 points or less the chances of winning are like 90 or 95%, but don't know if that still holds true or not.

Oldman said:
...or why they didn't go for it on fourth down the series before giving Eli the ball.
I was thinking the exact same thing, and that Sean Payton (Saints coach) would have gone for it.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Yeah, not too many really big plays. But at least the game was not sloppy for the most part with exception of Welker's drop.
And Hernandez drop. The pass went right off his hands. Branch also had a ball he could have caught, but was well defended. Pats had a bad offside penalty when the Giants were deep in their own territory that hurt.

Agree with you on the game though. At least it wasn't sloppy, or filled with bad calls, or like the championship games, ending on painful mistakes.

on3m@n@rmy said:
by the way, if I recall correctly, wasn't it earlier in this NFL season that New Yorkers were asking for Tom Coughlin to be, ahem, released?
One of the reasons I'm not a Giants fan. Though in another sense, at least the Patriots didn't win again. (One of the perks of not liking either team, you can at least be glad one of them lost! ;) )

Sober up Foxxy. And there's always next year. I'd be really surprised if either of these teams are back to the big dance next season, if that makes you feel any better.

Alpe d'Huez said:
And Hernandez drop. The pass went right off his hands. Branch also had a ball he could have caught, but was well defended. Pats had a bad offside penalty when the Giants were deep in their own territory that hurt.

One of the reasons I'm not a Giants fan. Though in another sense, at least the Patriots didn't win again. (One of the perks of not liking either team, you can at least be glad one of them lost! ;) )

Sober up Foxxy. And there's always next year. I'd be really surprised if either of these teams are back to the big dance next season, if that makes you feel any better.

forgot those other drops. LOL! "...at least one of them lost". SF and NO must be thinking, "If only..."

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
done with football: I am sad & drunk of course !!!

Foxxy, look on the bright side. You won a bet placed on the Giants (you did place a bet on them, right?). Anyway, I predict you'll be sobered up and ready to go by April for the NFL draft, which is about when this thread ought to get some more traction.

p.s. - I hope those were worthy brews and not some Bud or Miller crap.

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
One of my friends brought this up last night, and I thought it was fairly interesting. What do you guys think about the too many men play at the end of the game. Idk whether it was done on purpose or not, and I'm not trying to insinuate that it was(although if it was done on purpose, it was a brilliant call in terms of bending the rules to your advantage). Being a Pats fan, I think it was unfair, and the Giants benefited way more from the time taken off the clock than the Pats did from the extra yardage. I think the league should take a good look at resetting the clock after each penalty, as it makes situations like this more fair, while at the same time it discourages taking penalties.

Again, I don't think for a second that that's the reason the Pats lost. That comes down to dropped passes, dumb decisions(the safety), and being totally outplayed by the Giants receiving corps

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Foxxy, look on the bright side. You won a bet placed on the Giants (you did place a bet on them, right?). Anyway, I predict you'll be sobered up and ready to go by April for the NFL draft, which is about when this thread ought to get some more traction.

p.s. - I hope those were worthy brews and not some Bud or Miller crap.

Yes i did place it. :)

What a sad weekend for sports: The arrogant and bad guys won (Giants, Armstrong), the quiet lost (Contador, Pats, & i guess soon Ulle). :mad:

I think next year i skip the regular season. Maybe i only watch the SB...

No it was good ´ol german beer. Otherwise my post wouldn´t have become that big. ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I went to bed thinking, 'I hope foxxy isn't too suicidal':D Though I wish you would stop manoevring the Pats into being some hard done by, quiet, good guys. I was delighted because they lost in the same way that they beat the Ravens - because, at the crucial, ultimate moment - as they say in England - they bottled it - they clinched, they f***ed up. The bookies were right in that they should have won, but I wonder what would have happened if Welker hadn't dropped that catch.

Only one great play, Manningham's sideline catch. A sub par SB in my book. The draft's not till April, huh?:confused:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I went to bed thinking, 'I hope foxxy isn't too suicidal':D Though I wish you would stop manoevring the Pats into being some hard done by, quiet, good guys. I was delighted because they lost in the same way that they beat the Ravens - because, at the crucial, ultimate moment - as they say in England - they bottled it - they clinched, they f***ed up. The bookies were right in that they should have won, but I wonder what would have happened if Welker hadn't dropped that catch.

Only one great play, Manningham's sideline catch. A sub par SB in my book. The draft's not till April, huh?:confused:

Yes the Giants deserved it. The whole time i was thinking it´s not enough scoring only 17. NE defense played a good game. The SB itself wasn´t a good game. But that´s ok. It can´t a classic every year. At least i would get more suspicious then.

As Alpe said, now we look forward the cycling season w/o the best rider. What a dull Schlecks-Evans riding backwards TdF it will be.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
All we need is a bit of rain when the Schlecks descend....:p

LOL. :D

Everything looked bright and sunny until black friday. Since then i was thinking, it can only get better. I was wrong. Never tought NE would lose that game.

Now it´s like 2006 (when i still watched soccer): First Ulle got caught, thus germany got robbed the TdF, then dull Italy stole us the WC by winning on two late goals.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
LOL. :D

Everything looked bright and sunny until black friday. Since then i was thinking, it can only get better. I was wrong. Never tought NE would lose that game.

Now it´s like 2006 (when i still watched soccer): First Ulle got caught, thus germany got robbed the TdF, then dull Italy stole us the WC by winning on two late goals.

How do you think the Dutch feel about the '74 WC?:eek:

I took one look at Madonna, made a mental note that the stage was very impressive, and left the room. I couldn't listen to that sh!te.

Here's a page with lots of the ads we missed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...t-commercials/2012/02/05/gIQABkjTsQ_blog.html

TRENDING THREADS