• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good analysis and reads Alpe... thank you.

I'll just add to what you said about SEA GM John Schneider not saying boo about Matt Flynn. Schneider is a master of disguise. When he talks about certain players, it is often a smoke screen. So when he does not talk about a player, then that's a clue he may be interested in the guy. When the Colts made Manning's release official, BAM... there was Seattle being talked about as a team in a serious hunt for Manning. I thought, Whaaaaaaaat? Even if you have to kick the (Manning) tires, my second thought was, Wait. Sounds like Schneider's at it again. Don't be surprised if Manning never visits Seattle.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
What will the Rams do @ 6, Riley Rieff? Blackmon if hes still there?.Personbally id take Rieff they can get a reciever in FA or trade back into end of first round this year and take Hill from Goergia(im sure NE will be obliging)Yes they need weapons but no stand out tackle in FA but plenty of WR's.
As for the Manning Saga,Miami just makes too much sense,they need too "put bums on seats" and I dont see Flynn or Tannehill doing that.

Also is time for first prediction of 2012/3 season,The Bungles too find some teeth finish 11-5 and keep the steelers out of the playoffs.They have huge cap room, 2 first rounders this year a good defense, Shipley too come back.Whereas the steelers are an aging team with cap issues.

it's been said before here that Bradford just needs some targets. So if Blackmon is still there at #6 they will take him. Some mocks have the Browns taking Blackmon at #4 overall though. If that happens, then Iowa LOT Reiff could be their pick... all 6'6" 313lbs of him. That can't hurt either. With their jackpot trade down deal they can afford to bypass a WR at #6.

Denver is now high on Peyton's radar screen, and it's looking more like he will take either Denver or Zona over Miami. There are some good reasons Peyton may make Zona his next career stop... the dome, the grass, the history, Fitzgerald and so on. See it here... http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7672173/2012-free-agency-peyton-manning-favors-denver-broncos-arizona-cardinals-sources-say

If Manning goes to AZ - which I thought made sense from the beginning - this means Matt Flynn is most likely to end up in Miami, or maybe, possibly Seattle, who will draft a pass rusher and see if Tannehill or Cousins is available in the 2nd round, and if not, they'll sit with Tjax and wait to see if they can get Barkley next year, though he'll probably take a trade similar to what the Skins and Rams are doing.

The Vikings will take Matt Kalil with the 3rd pick, then it gets interesting. The Browns could certainly use Blackmon, but they badly need secondary help, and may look to LSU's Claiborne. But do they still believe in Colt McCoy? TB is next, and they need a lot of help as well. There's a real question if Josh Freeman is going to be their QB after a poor season. Some drafts have them taking Richardson at RB, but they already have Lagarret Blount. Then we get StL, Jacksonville, Miami. All need help.

This is a bit of a rehash, but in the March 12, 2012 issue of the magazine, Sports Illustrated printed a pretty good story titled “Way Out of Bounds” on the bounty program alleged to have been run by the NO Saints. (Quotes below are from the story). Some reported bone-headed comments of NFL Players as reported in the article:

At the NFC Championship, MIN at NO January 24 2010:
1. NO DL Hargrove “Favre is out of the game! Favre is done!”
2. An on-field microphone directed at the NO sideline picks up an unidentified NO defender saying, “Pay me the money!”
I've said before that not wanting to play the best (e.g. by knocking the best out of a game) is nothing but pure chicken scat. I have absolutely no respect for players with that kind of attitude.

Contrast that with 12-time Pro Bowler Junior Seau, who retired in 2009:
“When you say ‘bounty’ and you talk about intentionally taking someone out, in essence you’re talking about affecting his livelihood. THAT’S NOT FOOTBALL.”
That’s the kind of attitude that the NFL needs to have more of. I always liked Seau. Now I love the guy.

Then there’s former Saints DC Gregg Williams:
On Saturday nights in the 2009 season, Saints DC Gregg Williams would stand in front of his men holding white envelopes filled with cash – bonuses for their performances the previous week… up to $1500 for knocking a foe out of the game…

Last Friday he admitted responsibility for the Saints bounty program saying: “It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it.”
Bonus payments provided by the team are a violation of league rules and circumvent salary cap limits. While single bonuses do not amount to much, players were encouraged by other players to return the bonus to sweeten the pot, allowing it to grow into something much more substantial. Still, a cap is a cap.

SI says:
It is likely Roger Goodell with come down hard on Williams, head coach Sean Payton, GM Mickey Loomis, and Saints LB Jon Vilma in that order. Williams for having been the ringleader of the Saints bounty program, Payton for failure to stop the bounty program by not exercising proper control, Loomis for failure to ensure the staff conducted themselves in a way consistent with league rules, and Vilma for offering any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC Championship Game.(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/02/saints.bounties/index.html... for the Vilma verdict etc.)

Suspensions could be a half season or more, and could be closer to the yearlong suspensions given to stars Alex Karras and Paul Hornung in 1963 for gambling.

The league has more than just ethics as a reason to drive a culture change:
More than 50 former NFL players have filed lawsuits against the league, saying it didn’t do enough to prevent concussions and head trauma during their playing days.
If the league does not take action, they leave themselves open to more of the same. The NFL cannot afford to not take actions to produce a culture change.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Yup, interesting read 3man, thanks for posting. Incidentally, has Foxxy gone into some kind of hibernation?:confused:

Peyton Manning isn’t finished talking to NFL teams about a job.

He’s going to interview with the Miami Dolphins and Tennessee Titans, according to a report by ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. He’ll meet with Dolphins Coach Joe Philbin and Titans Coach Mike Munchak in the next three days.

After his arrival in Denver and Arizona was greeted by scores of reporters and helicopters and everything but blimps, he is expected to meet with both coaches away from their team facilities, Mortensen reports.

The Titans interview comes after owner Bud Adams pushed for it over the weekend. “He is the man I want. Period,” Adams told the Tennessean. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”

Manning played at the University of Tennessee and Adams is ready to play that card.

“I hope to be one of the teams he looks at,” Adams said. “Since he went to school in Tennessee, I think Tennessee is where he should be. I think he could play for two or three years. I think he’s the guy that could come in and turn this around for us.

“That’s why I am so anxious to get him to come visit with us and I want him on my team. I could sit down with him and show him what [we’d be willing to pay]. If he would come [meet] with me he would be happy with what he’d get.”

As ESPN reported earlier in the day, Manning isn’t going to be able to stick to his earlier timetable and reach a decision on a new team by the time free agency opens at 4 p.m. EDT Tuesday.

Manning is doing this round of interviews without his agent and reportedly without throwing for teams. He’s focusing on how well he’ll fit with prospective coaches and schemes for the moment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nessee-titans/2012/03/12/gIQAJJFq7R_blog.html

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Some thoughts....good discussion here.

Bounties: There is talk that it was all in the name of the game, that defenders played no harder or took no more chances with cheap shots if there were bounties. If that was the case, then why have the bounties?

Meathead on ESPN Bob Golic has been the up front azzclown on this subject. I think he is full of **** most of the time, and this proves it. Favre is quoted as being indifferent. Proves he has taken too many shots to the head, kinda a positive result of the abuse he has taken by bounty induced plays.

"Duh, what bouties? Cuckoo."

What a clown. His shots to the head also explains his blatancy towards messing around with that NYJ chick Jenn Steger I think. Grow some stealth, dude.

Manning: I always thought he might go to Jacksonville. The last place I want to see him go is either Jacksonville or Tenn due to them being in the Texans division. I hope it is Denver because this Tebow crap is about to make me spew. Unfortunately, Tebow would then get traded and all the christians in city x that care little about QB performance can cheer him on. Wash, rinse, repeat. I would suspend my distaste for bounties if we could be spared listening to this crap any longer.

I see today the Texans cut Eric Winston....that was out of left field though I didn't think he was all that great. He made a ton of mistakes and penalties last year.

I don't know what they are up to unless they are really trying to free up space for Mario Williams. Bad decision IMO if they are doing that...a player who is hurt all the time, and with a defense that did good without him, it makes zero sense IMO.

As good as Williams is, when he's good, I would agree and let him go if I were the Texans. They played very well without him, and could use the off season to adjust, and the money to go elsewhere.

The Titans would be an interesting move for Payton. It would push Matt Hasselbeck out, and probably to retirement, and give Jake Locker another year under Manning. Locker looked good this year, but still needs a little more prep before taking over, be that from Hasslebeck or Manning.

With Brandon Marshall heading from Miami to Chicago, I have to wonder if that takes the luster off Manning going to the Fins, who now seem like yesterday's news.

With free agency in full swing, and Manning yet to sign, it makes me wonder when teams will start to make moves towards Matt Flynn. The longer Manning waits, the more opportunities will be for teams aggressive to get Flynn. We should soon see how serious Miami is about getting him.

As I said months ago, even when he was playing well, I will not be at all surprised to see Tim Tebow out of Denver. To me Jacksonville or Tampa are the most likely destinations, as he'd be super welcome there. Tampa may be ready to give up on Freeman, but not sure if Jacksonville is ready to give up on Gabbert. But JAX is already talking to Chad Henne, so...

The Redskins gave RG3 someone to throw to in Pierre Garcon, picked up from Indy. A good move.

But Reggie Wayne stayed with the Colts, giving Andrew Luck someone to throw to.

The Seahawks were able to resign Red Bryant, who they badly needed to keep on defense.

Jason Campbell was picked up by the Bears, which is a good spot for him. He'll back up Cutler, but likely get playing time, and be slated as one of the best back-up QB's in the league.

The Raiders #2 QB now becomes....Terrelle Pryor?

The Chargers cut Marcus McNeill, an excellent, but often injured OT. Wonder who will pick him up.

After the Jets gave everything to Mark Sanchez (see my earlier post on this brainless deal), look for LT to retire like he's hinted. Greg McElroy will also end up gone. A young QB for someone else to groom.

The 49ers re-signed several players, and are about to re-sign Alex Smith.

And...are the Patriots going to sign Randy Moss?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Vincent Jackson just singed with TB. WTF?

I wonder what Miami is up to, or if they are asleep. They let Marshall go and missed out on Jackson, with all that cap space. Me thinks they are putting all their eggs in the Manning basket but that makes no sense if they miss out on these receivers and Wayne is staying in Ind.

Why would Manning want to go there? If he does, then perhaps we can put to rest the "he only wants to win" and doesn't care about money. The dude won't even throw. WTF is up with that? If you are healthy, prove it. If I was running one of those teams I would tell him to **** off. Winning teams have been built without picking up Peyton Manning.

Moss went the the 49ers.

It irritates me the Texans have done nothing, though that nothing appears to be not signing Williams. Expanding on what I wrote above, IMO the dude doesn't go hard every play and he is hurt all the time. Even a couple of years ago he played, but produced next to nothing "because" of a hurt toe or something.

I have watched him for 5 years and I know what I am talking about here. He is not anywhere near the player Peppers is, yet he will probably be paid more. I said at the time I would have traded that #1 pick, and I stand by that. I would be surprised if the smart front office of NE, as has been rumored, pays this underperforming constantly hurt player.

The Texans are the sexy pick to go far next year. My friends are orgasmic on the possibilities. If Manning comes back in the division healthy then they have a problem. They also play Det, GB, and I believe NE next year. They were 10-6 last year in a shyt division with a shyt schedule, and even with Yates they should not have lost the last 3 games against those teams. I think they may be a bust but we will see.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
still a mystery why rams wont sign a free agent receiver. I mean they have a qb to throw down field but alas he doesn't have time to throw down field. still a mystery why rams wont sign a free agent O Line. maybe free agents dont want to got o England 3 consecutive seasons..

Boeing said:
still a mystery why rams wont sign a free agent receiver. I mean they have a qb to throw down field but alas he doesn't have time to throw down field. still a mystery why rams wont sign a free agent O Line. maybe free agents dont want to got o England 3 consecutive seasons..

Gulp. Welp, I think they are hoping to get OSU WR Justin Blackmon as their first pick in the draft. But if they were after MegaTron (Calvin Johnson)... who got MegaBucks to the tune of 8 years, $132 Mil, $60 Mil guaranteed from the Lions... they might have been scared off by those numbers. The rookie won't get that kind of money. But Blackmon will fit the bill for having a WR to throw downfield to.

They should try to nab a free agent OL. IMO drafting an OL that high in the first round if Blackmon is there would be nuts. Some top OL available in free agency:
1. Carl Nicks, LG (NO, 27 years old)
2. Chris Myers, C (HOU, 30)
3. Jared Gaither, LT (SD, 26), but has injury bug
4. Ben Grubbs, LG (BAL, 28)
5. Scott Wells, C (GB, 31)
6. Nick Hardwick, C (SD, 30)
7. Chris Kemoeatu, LG (PIT, 29)
Only problem is, I'm not sure exactly what OL position they need most. I think I've heard guard. If that's true, Nicks is the man.

What a crazy scramble of a day!

Finally, Matt Flynn is meeting with someone, and it's Seattle tomorrow. No shock there. One of the teams most likely interested, there and Miami who seems asleep at the wheel on this one. As I noted, if Seattle really wants him, they can get aggressive and grab him while Miami, Denver, Arizona and KC all wait to see what Manning will do.

I have a gut feeling the Dolphins are looking at Ryan Tannehill, but that would be very early for him to go in the draft.

I too don't understand why Manning isn't throwing for teams, as it's been known he's been throwing to players and friends now for a few weeks and they all say he's almost the same guy, just needs some flexibility and a little more arm strength back. If we all know and accept that, why not throw?

I imagine the Rams are hoping that Blackmon will still be there come draft day. If not Blackmon, they'll grab Michael Floyd. Floyd is very good. But Blackmon looks like the next Terrell Owens (without being a head case).

Jags picked up Chad Henne, and WR Laurent Robinson. This means they don't have enough faith in Gabbert and will make him fight for the job. It also means they won't look for Tebow.

TB has been very active in free agency, but so far not looking for a replacement or even completion for Freeman who had a poor season. Seems like a risk to me.

Peyton Hillis went to the Chiefs, after a mediocre year, he may look to prove something there.

Agree with Chris. Titans need to let Williams go. He's great when he's not hurt and playing at full effort...one out of every few games.

Not shocked by MegaTron's deal. Considering he's getting less money than Mark Sanchez, I'd consider it a bargain!

Cowboys picked up Kyle Orton. Is he as good as Romo? Better? May be.

Moss to SF is very interesting. IF he is still fast, and as dedicated as he says, he could be a dangerous addition they badly need. Or, he could get hurt, or simply be too old.

I notice the Eagles, 49ers and Giants are re-signing a lot of players. Could be smart, or could be costly. I do think the Eagles will win the NFC East though next year, unless Vick tanks it.

Steve Hutchinson is talking to Seattle!. As long as they don't overpay him, it could be a great addition. He never should have left in the first place.

Alpe d'Huez said:
What a crazy scramble of a day!

Finally, Matt Flynn is meeting with someone, and it's Seattle tomorrow. No shock there. One of the teams most likely interested, there and Miami who seems asleep at the wheel on this one. As I noted, if Seattle really wants him, they can get aggressive and grab him while Miami, Denver, Arizona and KC all wait to see what Manning will do.

I too don't understand why Manning isn't throwing for teams, as it's been known he's been throwing to players and friends now for a few weeks and they all say he's almost the same guy, just needs some flexibility and a little more arm strength back. If we all know and accept that, why not throw?

I imagine the Rams are hoping that Blackmon will still be there come draft day. If not Blackmon, they'll grab Michael Floyd. Floyd is very good. But Blackmon looks like the next Terrell Owens (without being a head case).

TB has been very active in free agency, but so far not looking for a replacement or even completion for Freeman who had a poor season. Seems like a risk to me.

Cowboys picked up Kyle Orton. Is he as good as Romo? Better? May be.

Steve Hutchinson is talking to Seattle!. As long as they don't overpay him, it could be a great addition. He never should have left in the first place.

I'll start at the bottom and work up. But first, thanks for the update. Hutch to Seattle would be awesome. I'd love to have him back.

Kyle > Romo? Ummmmmm, nope. I think Kyle >> Kitna! I think Cowboys want a more legit backup to Romo. Kitna has run the course.

For sure, Tampa has been lighting up free agency. For example, at lunch I posted Nicks as one of the elite OL available in free agency. By the time I got home from work, ex-Saints Nicks is now a Buc. Tampa is going to contend I think next year for their division title. Did not say win it... just contend.

I hear ex-NFL T.O. is now in the IFL - Indoor Football League. And here is the team roster:
http://www.allenwranglers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=125
And this was his welcome reception to the league: T.O. gets owned

Only reason I can think why Manning is not throwing now is some of the earlier throwing he did may have, not aggravated, but made his neck area a bit sore. So not wanting to rush it and have a setback, he may just be taking it slower.

I heard Manning talked to the Titans today. For 9 hours. If he ends up a Titan, I wonder what the Titans will do with Matt Hasselbeck.

edit: I love these crazy days!!!

He does seem a good fit in Tennessee. And what a great way for Jake Locker to learn. Hassleback would be gone if Manning signs, obviously. He may actually retire. If he does the Seahawks should ask him to sign a one day contract to retire in their uniform. It would only be fitting.

It looks like the Browns and Dolphins are looking to talk to Flynn after Seattle.

TB definitely looks serious, but that's a lot of eggs to put into a basket with Josh Freeman as QB. He had a very good sophomore year, but last year looked like he was the next Luke McCown, or Shaun King, or worse. A league worst TD-Int ratio with 22 picks, and a passer rating of 74.6, that's 26th in the league.

Miami and Arizona are officially out of the Manning sweeps. Miami said so, and Arizona just re-signed Kevin Kolb. So, we're down to three teams: Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco. The Titans picked up Steve Hutchinson yesterday, which has to help. But SF is a winner on a roll, But something tells me Tennessee is a little higher up the ladder. But if the 49ers get him, look for Alex Smith to get released, and picked up by probably Seattle. Why Seattle? They looked at him before this season, and his conservative style of play fits well into what Pete Carroll and the Seahawks are doing. In an ironic, almost cruel way, if Smith is out and goes to another team, it would be the 8th system he will have learned in 8 years.

With every day that passes, the more I think Denver is out of the running, and it's down to Tennessee and SF.

If Smith is pushed to the Seahawks, Matt Flynn is most likely to end up in Miami. With KC and Cleveland outside chances. ESPN rumors are that the market for Flynn is flat. He didn't exactly bowl the Seahawks off their feet. Not bad, but nothing amazing.

If the Dolphins can't get Flynn, look for them to draft Ryan Tannehill with the 8th pick. This is way high to me. But the Dolphins are desperate.

Cleveland missed out, but won't take him. They may wait to the second round though and see if they can get Kirk Cousins then. But Cousins needs to sit a year in the NFL I think, especially if he's playing for a poor team.

Mario Williams picked up by Buffalo. This gives Houston wiggle room.

SF looks better on paper than Ten with that D and running game. But Manning in SF means SF will have to open up the offense to get more WRs involved instead of a heavy dose of TEs and run game. But they could do that. Hutch now at Ten will be good for Manning. I would love to have him back at SEA but at age 34.... I dunno. Seattle has been going young.

I agree that Den looks out of the Man sweepstakes. And that Tannehill at 8 overall is too high. Shoot, SEAs 12 overall is too high.

I think the 49ers have an excellent chance to get Manning, but as a fan of the team, I really hope they don’t.

I think their chances are good, because while everyone has speculated on which team would benefit the most from Manning, the real question is which team would Manning most benefit from? He’s the one who decides where he wants to go. I think his priority is getting to another SB, and the 49ers clearly give him the best chance of any team left now, or for that matter, any team under original consideration. They barely missed the SB last year, and even without Manning would be a contender this year, with a strong defense and solid running game. All they lack is a more prolific passing game. They have one weapon for Manning in Vernon Davis, and maybe another in Randy Moss (though I think that might have been a bad signing, too. I liken it to another Bay Area signing of an aging former superstar with character issues, Manny Ramirez with the A’s).

That said, I think signing Manning would be a big mistake for SF. In the rush to grab him, some people seem to forget that while Manning, if healthy, could turn any team into a playoff contender, it’s far more difficult to go from playoff contender to SB. We saw just this past season how much of a role luck plays in getting to the SB. Even with Manning, there is no team in the NFL that could aspire to a more potent offense than GB and NO had, and yet neither team even made the title game. Granted, poor defense made a big difference, but it’s also a matter of peaking at the right time. The 49ers with Manning might go 15-1, and still have that one bad game in the playoffs. Manning at his peak can essentially guarantee that a team gets into the playoffs, but after that it’s somewhat of a crapshoot.

This becomes especially a problem with Manning, because his postseason performance has been erratic. He has played brilliantly some times, but poorly at others. I think he was 9-10 in the postseason with Indy. In most of those ten losses, the Colts were favored, and in most of them, it was the offense that disappointed.

In the best case scenario, he probably has three more good years left. He might lead the 49ers to the SB in that time, but if he doesn’t, then the decision to sign him becomes a bad one. In that case, they did no better than they would have with Smith, and are left with no likely QB prospect, and probably no high draft pick to get one (they would presumably keep Kaepernik, but I don't know how much potential he has to be a starting QB). And even if he does get them a SB, Smith might, too.

I think he’s a much better fit for Tennessee. They benefit in two ways. First, he will definitely turn the team into a strong playoff contender (from the fringe contender status they exhibited this year). And second, Manning gives Locker a chance to learn from him and develop, so they don’t sacrifice their long-term prospects at QB. It seems to me that’s the key to all of this. Then, even if you don’t get to the SB (or if it turns out Manning can't come back to 100%, gets injured, etc), you haven’t lost anything except some money.

Denver would not be as good from that POV as Tennessee, but better than the 49ers. I don’t think they could keep Tebow as backup, because his style is so different from Manning’s. A backup QB has to be able to run the same offense as the main guy, and Tebow couldn’t do that. But dumping Tebow might not be a bad decision even without Manning, so Denver has less to lose than the 49ers. And like Tennesse and unlike the 49ers, they would have little chance of getting to the SB without a QB upgrade.

Excellent post Merckx. Agree with everything you wrote.

Kaepernik is reputed to be one of the most accurate young QB's in the NFL. But when at last year's combine it was thought his reads weren't that great. He was used to running after the 1st or 2nd option wasn't open in college, and that didn't translate to the NFL (unless your name is Tebow?). But in a year or two Kaepernik might turn out pretty good.

As I somewhat predicted a week ago when RG3 was off the table, the stock for Ryan Tannehill has gone up. There's talk he could go as high as 4 (Cleveland) or 8 (Miami) if Matt Flynn is taken by someone else. I like the kid and hope he does well, but this is way too high. He's a second round pick that needs to sit and learn for a year or more. If he's taken by the Browns or Dolphins that high, he could be expected to compete for the starting job in the pre-season, or be a starting QB as soon as the team starts losing. That's a terrible way for someone like Tannehill to be introducted to the NFL. It's a recipe for failure. Luck has what it takes to start from day 1. Griffin has what it takes to start from day 1. Tannehill does not.

Following Tannhill is Cousins. He too is in a similar situation. He really needs to be drafted in the 2nd round, and sit a year. Weeden as well, though Weeden needs to find a team where he'll play some this year, and start after that, as he's already a ripe 28.

The irony in this QB frenzy is that next year both Matt Barkley at USC and Landry Jones at Oklahoma are likely to be very high draft picks for a team that can wait, and/or expect to wheel and deal next season. Both may have gone in the first round this year if they entered the draft.

With Seattle picking up first Red Bryant's contract, and now DT Jason Jones from Tennessee, they may have plugged the gap on the pass rush. They also lost Charlie Whitehurst who went back to San Diego. This means Seattle is in the hunt for a QB. Is that Matt Flynn? Will they risk taking Ryan Tannehill in the draft? Will they hope Kirk Cousins is available in the 2nd round? Will they hope Manning goes to SF, and they scoop up Alex Smith? Should be an interesting week for them.

I think Flynn is going to end up in Miami. I think the Seahawks will maybe make an offer to get the fins to spend more, but Miami seems the place. Unless, for some reason, the fins think they can get more from Tannehill (big mistake) in the future.

There's even talk of teams considering trading up to get Tannehill. Uh, did anyone actually watch him play? Because he wasn't that great at the end of the year, and didn't do anything at the combine because he was injured. If he does get isolated for an early pick (and he might), the stock for Weeden and Cousins (both of whom did play well at the combine) will jump. I honestly don't think any of these three guys are 1st round picks, nor should be expected to play much or lead their teams to much this year. But desperate teams make desperate moves.

I still have a gut feeling that Tebow will be out of Denver before the season starts. I don't know where he'll go, or what the Broncos will do, but they haven't made the smartest moves, and both John Fox and Elway have said he is not their goal of the QB to groom. They've tried to sugar coat that after Tim played well, but I still see a change.

Former All-Pro guard Evan Mathis of Baltimore signed with the Eagles. This is a monster pick-up. ProFootballFocus rated Mathis the #1 guard in the NFL last year. The Eagles have just about now broken the bank, but after last year's debacle, I think this year they are doing what they really needed to do and filling key holes instead of signing stars and egos, and should seriously contend.

The Ravens also lost Tom Zbikowski to the Colts.

Cincinnati who has the most money under the cap, has been sitting and waiting, but did pick up guard Travelle Wharton. This is a position they needed, and I expect them to look for a DB, or maybe a WR like Michael Floyd or Kendall Wright in the draft. Though Wright had a poor combine, he did come in bigger and taller than listed, and had a great college career (thanks RG3!).

It looks like the Steelers are going to get SD's Mike Tolbert. He would fit well in their system.

Rams had more pickups. If I were a Rams fan, I'd be quite pleased with how this off-season has gone. They got a good veteran coach, some great draft picks coming up, some good free agency pickups. There's good potential there for the next 5 years.

Breaking News

It is finally becoming crystal clear why Peyton was not throwing for teams during initial visits. He has now thrown for Denver, SF, and today the Titans. It is now obvious the first visits to teams was to feel them out and narrow his choices down to a few teams. Then he has gone back to throw for the finalists. Makes sense because at the onset of this process there were around a dozen teams interested in him, so why throw for all of them until he narrowed his choices down to a few finalists.

He says he will announce his new team this coming Monday or Tuesday.

So the teams that missed out in the Peyton sweepstakes: Miami, Arizona, and you might even say Houston and Seattle. But I really don't think Seattle was interested from the beginning, and I think Houston would be making a mistake by taking Peyton and sitting or releasing Schaub.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
So the teams that missed out in the Peyton sweepstakes: Miami, Arizona, and you might even say Houston and Seattle. But I really don't think Seattle was interested from the beginning, and I think Houston would be making a mistake by taking Peyton and sitting or releasing Schaub.

Houston was never interested. McNare is loyal, see Kubiak last year. He wasn't gonna do that to Schaub. They didn't have the money anyway.