• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It would be ridiculous to end NFL games like this. I can´t even imagine such BS... Just look at the CL-Final in soccer: decided by luck, shootout and defense. The comical; europeans like it.:eek:
I am often very critical of show biz sports USA-Style, but as you know when we discussed it many times, soccer is the worst...

Anyway, don´t make it to difficult. Just widen the hockey surface and enlarge the goals. All problems of too many ties after reagulation/overtime, lucky outcomes, shootouts etc. are reduced to a minimum.

Sometimes i have the feeling the NHL behaves like the FIFA: Some neanderthals running the company refuse to change the game to the better. If players get faster and taller, just change the rules. The NFL is a big postive here. They always changed the rules when necessary. That´s a big reason for their success. The Giants-2011 and 2007 are still exceptions of the rule: normally the better teams win the championships...

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Soccer penalties aren't all luck :eek:. There's a big difference between poor penalties (like Robben's on saturday) and good ones (like Luiz's). You need to have calm nerves and sound technique. If you can feint the goalie or bury it in the top corner, you make your own luck.

As for hockey on small rinks, yeah it's a pinball luck-fest if both teams have tight defenses. What it can produce is big, engaging drama and narrative, rather than a competition of skills and conditioning. The latter is what individual sports like cycling are for.

Of course it's showbiz. That's one of the main reasons for watching these sports. Same as the gladiatorial arena in old Rome. Luck is part of life; isn't it alright for some sports to reflect this?

I don't think the entertainment factor is a problem, I think it's rules in some of these sports. As both Foxxy and I noted many times, soccer does have great athletes, and dedicated fans, but the sport could be so much more dynamic, and matches so much more exciting. But there are such old curmudgeon stalwarts at the executive level who are mentally paralyzed by the thought of changing any rules. Even ones such as those I listed above to help make ends of matches more exciting. They just won't do it. Even when MLS came to the US, they had a great chance to change some rules and make the sport more open, but they didn't, for the reasons the league official I spoke to mentioned. It gets discussed at the executive level, but because the powers that be are so entrenched, hey still won't change them. The league will lose money and fold before they do it.

While this is an NFL thread, here is what I'm talking about:

• Change OT rules to where there are no penalty kicks. OT starts with power plays, and double OT is played with no keeper. Or just eliminate the keeper in OT.

• Do not allow the keeper to come out of the goal area box. Or, if that's too strict, allow the keeper to only come out of the box for a few seconds, like the NBA's 3 in the key rule.

• Eliminate stoppage time, and make the clock tick down, like in all other sports. Penalize teams that stall with power plays and corner kicks. This includes the keeper holding onto the ball. He should be forced to kick/throw the ball within 5-10 seconds of trapping/receiving it. Throw-in's from the sideline, and corner kicks should be the same.

• Open the goal by at 1-3m. Not larger, which would reward sloppy shooting. We don't need matches that are 25-22 scores, but more 7-6 matches would be good. Having so many 1-0 matches stinks, and is too based on luck.

•*Eliminate the offsides rule.

• Add one more official on the pitch.

• Make it harder to hand out red cards. Again, like in hockey, a penalty box or power play is better.

This is just for starters, and only suggestions. But if MLS (or FIFA) adopted all of them, the sport would move quicker, and the outcomes of matches would be much more exciting, and much less luck based than they are now.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
:D

It's two thirds through May as I pop in for my occasional peek, and what do I find?? A buoyant, thriving NFL topic at the top of the page, that has apparently temporarily mutated into Alpe's suggestions for making other sports more exciting!

I can't sensibly comment about hockey, because I don't know enough about the game. But, when it comes to what I and most of the world calls football, I certainly feel like adding my two euro cents.

Normally, I have great respect for your opinions Alpe, because you clearly know what you're talking about. I'm afraid that is not the case when it comes to football.;)

Your suggestions for making the game 'more open' are complete non-starters, as they are based on Americans' desires for 'more' of everything, including goals and excitement - desires that are on the whole not shared by the rest of the world. Sure, in an ideal world, everyone would prefer to see games end 5-3 instead of 1-0, but it is in the fundamental nature of the game that sometimes you'll get the former kind of result, but more often the latter. No one in the rest of the world (to my knowledge) has ever called for such a fundamental revision of the rules of the game as you are suggesting, Alpe.

Different ways of deciding deadlocked games in international competitions have been tried. The golden goal rule was eventually dispensed with because it was considered to be unfair. Very few games are ever decided by a penalty shoot-out, but the ones that are, are invariably big games that attract much international publicity. Penalties are also a flawed way of deciding a game, but without a fundamental re-write of the laws of the game - which is simply not an option open to discussion outside the US, we're stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

The suggestion to scrap the offside rule is an absolute non-starter. You would wind up with one guy hanging around somewhere near the opposing goalie, hoping that a long kick up the pitch would land near him and allow him to sneak one in. The offside rule is an integral part of the modern game and is here to stay. Where it falls down is in the human interpretation of it. (Just like the MLB ump will call a strike while the machine shows that it was a ball - human error.)

The offside rule (and the game as a whole) would work much better if only FIFA/UEFA would pull their heads out of the sand and finally implement the electronic aids that are readily available for big games. Until not so long ago, Blatter was so dead set against any change whatsoever, that most people thought that nothing would change till he finally left the scene. Now we're no longer so sure. There have been noises from FIFA to suggest that they are at last seriously looking into the options and possibilities, although they may just be blowing smoke up all our arses with no intention of actually following up -who can say?

Football would benefit enormously from the kind of electronic aids and instant replays used in US sports and become a fairer, more honest game. Players know it, fans know it, managers know it, we just have to wait for the bobos who 'run' the global game to also realize it.

Goal-line and sideline technology available now would eliminate the question, 'did it cross the line', and allow the offside rule to be applied more fairly. Linesmen would be instructed not to flag if the decision was at all 'close', play would continue, and if a goal ensued from that attack, only then would electronic aids come into play. If electronics (and or replays) show that the attacker was offside, the goal is not given. Simple, and much fairer.

Fouls, and diving are other aspects that would benefit enormously from instant replays. A player who just went down like he was shot, or one who claims to have been hit in the face, can instantly be proven to be either rightly injured parties, or con artists. The ref has blown for a foul anyway, there is often someone writhing on the ground, ample time for the fourth official to watch the replay and see what really happened. He in turn informs the ref through the earpiece, and he acts accordingly. Again, so simple and so blindingly obvious to so many, except, for now still, to the powers that be.

In short, what the game needs imho, is not fiddling with the rules, but implementation of modern electronic aids.

Phew. I didn't mean for that to go on like that, and profuse apologies for being totally off NFL topic.....:eek:

I did see some film of Skins fans practicing their "RG3" chant. We're gonna be hearing that one loud and clear when they play at Fedex.

There’s a very simple solution to settling ties in soccer that would have the additional advantage of cutting down on the number of games that are tied in the first place. Have the OT, but if the game is still tied at that point, the winner is the team that had the ball the majority of time in its opponent’s half of the field. A great many ties in soccer result because one team, considered the underdog, drops back and plays defense. It’s very hard to score if a team is willing basically to give up on offense and guard it’s goal. So underdog teams do that with the aim of getting a 0-0 tie, then figuring they have at least a 50-50 shot of winning on penalty kicks. IIRC, Italy basically did that against Brazil in the WC final in 1994, though Brazil, the more aggressive team, won the shootout.

The possession rule would discourage teams from concentrating on defense, as they would know that they would lose a tie game. And even in cases where teams were fairly evenly matched, and neither concentrated particularly on defense, the more aggressive team would be rewarded. If that seems unfair to a team that just happens to be more defense-minded, tough luck, it’s no more unfair than a shootout. An alternative—in soccer, and also in hockey—would be to give the win to the team with the most shots on goal, with shots on goal defined in a way that a desperate team could not just kick the ball at the goal from midfield and call that a shot.

I could see making the goals bigger in both soccer and hockey. As hockey stands now, I’ve often wondered why some NHL team didn’t sign some 500 pound fat slob to park himself in front of the goal. If he could handle getting hit by the puck, he could block the entire goal, so it would be effectively impossible to score. There has to be a reason why no one has tried this, but I’m not sure what. Maybe a guy obese enough to do the job would not be able to stand on skates that long in one place.

Back on the NFL, more fallout on the growing awareness of brain injuries. Parents worried about their kids playing the game:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/parents-rethinking-the-game-1441556.html

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are more than 55,000 cases of traumatic brain injury — concussions mostly — per year throughout all of high school football. More awareness has meant more reporting of concussions, and the growing numbers have prompted the CDC to declare sports-related traumatic brain injuries an epidemic.

Dr. Steve Kroll of Georgia Sports Medicine estimates that he has seen more than 1,000 concussion cases in the past two years. Maybe 20 percent of those involve football. Other sources may surprise you.
"One in particular is cheerleading," he said. "They don't have pads. They don't have helmets. And they actually suffer quite a few concussions."

Maybe this could explain the mental deficiencies in all those people who have been cheerleading for Lance? ☺

Saw a bit of 49er training on TV the other day. Boy, does LaMichael James look small, particularly without pads, seems tiny compared to those linemen. I guess he’s only 5’9”, not going to be an up the middle power runner. Still think he was a good draft choice. The team seems a little overstocked in RBs now, but Gore is sort of middle-aged as the position goes, won’t be around forever, and has had some injury problems. James could also add all-important speed to the receiver corps.

Anway, at least the team didn’t mortgsge their future on a franchise QB, then draft another QB who will never start and can’t even run the starter’s offense, the way the idiot beloved patriot management did. What in the world were they thinking? Don’t think Seattle was much better drafting Wilson. If you’re going to pay all that money to a QB like Flynn, why waste a precious draft pick on another QB when you need to build around your starter? But I’m OK with anything that weakens other teams in the 49ers division.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
• Eliminate stoppage time, and make the clock tick down, like in all other sports. Penalize teams that stall with power plays and corner kicks. This includes the keeper holding onto the ball. He should be forced to kick/throw the ball within 5-10 seconds of trapping/receiving it. Throw-in's from the sideline, and corner kicks should be the same.

• Open the goal by at 1-3m. Not larger, which would reward sloppy shooting. We don't need matches that are 25-22 scores, but more 7-6 matches would be good. Having so many 1-0 matches stinks, and is too based on luck.

•*Eliminate the offsides rule.

• Make it harder to hand out red cards. Again, like in hockey, a penalty box or power play is better.

This is just for starters, and only suggestions. But if MLS (or FIFA) adopted all of them, the sport would move quicker, and the outcomes of matches would be much more exciting, and much less luck based than they are now.

Great ideas. But as long FIFA rocks, the game will never change to the better. Too stubborn those guys. My reason to gave up soccer are the unfair rules. Just b/c of my old favourite team went to the CL-Final, i watched my first soccer game since the WC-Final... and i am dissapointed. The exact thing happened i told before the game. It will be decided by luck and refs.

1.) Munich scores on a allegedly offside goal. AFIR, the shot was blocked by the GK, then the rebound went in. Now the refs called indirect offside by the rebounding shooter. :eek:
This indirect offside rule only exists since the mid 80s (as if the old offside rule wasn´t odd enough). Nowadays not even the hardcore fans understand the offside rules: I asked true die hard fans what they think. They couldn´t explain it one way or the other. They were just unsure. Ekk again.
2.) The ref called for a penalty shot in the overtime. A clear game decider by the ref if Robben hit the goal. BTW, it was no foul... uncorrect call by the ref.
3.) Penalty shootout. Clear luck, not skill. It was just inches that made Schweinsteigers shot a miss instead of a goal. Ok, those things happen in the NFL too (Welker for example). But: Studies showed that the GK must decide before the shot in which corner he jumps, b/c the ball hits the goaline earlier than the GK can react and decide which corner he defends = 50/50 chance. Pure luck decides outcomes of championships. Absurd.

Amsterhammer said:
Sure, in an ideal world, everyone would prefer to see games end 5-3 instead of 1-0, but it is in the fundamental nature of the game that sometimes you'll get the former kind of result, but more often the latter. No one in the rest of the world (to my knowledge) has ever called for such a fundamental revision of the rules of the game as you are suggesting, Alpe.

As a long time soccer player, i think i can also say something about it.
I am more on Alpes side. Just remember, in the 50s games did end up 5-3 more often than 1-0. So it´s possible. Just let the rules keep up with evolution. If players get faster, stronger, taller and have more stamina, make the goals a bit bigger, get rid of the offside rule as it stands. And yes i called for such a revison. But i know the neanderthals would never do, so i gave up soccer (& hockey watching BTW). OTOH, the NFL does an outstanding job with rule adaptations to complement the evolution of mankind and the game itself. Not a single fan gave up watching real football :D while the pundists called it the end of true football when boring games are eliminated now and then.

Amsterhammer said:
The suggestion to scrap the offside rule is an absolute non-starter. You would wind up with one guy hanging around somewhere near the opposing goalie, hoping that a long kick up the pitch would land near him and allow him to sneak one in. The offside rule is an integral part of the modern game and is here to stay. Where it falls down is in the human interpretation of it. (Just like the MLB ump will call a strike while the machine shows that it was a ball - human error.)

No, no, it´s a starter. Everything else is better than the existing offside rules. BTW, in league youth soccer we had no offside rules until age 14 or something. It worked. And; studies showed that a ref can not decide offsides correctly. It´s always guess work. The human eye can´t look at different angles (ball, offensive and defense players) at the same time. It´s just impossible. Unlike baseball, wrong offside calls are game deciders. Wrong given strikes and balls even out over the length of the game. Simply by regression to the mean in an event with the law of large numbers (ca. 300 piches in a typical game).

Amsterhammer said:
The offside rule (and the game as a whole) would work much better if only FIFA/UEFA would pull their heads out of the sand and finally implement the electronic aids that are readily available for big games....Football would benefit enormously from the kind of electronic aids and instant replays used in US sports and become a fairer, more honest game. Players know it, fans know it, managers know it, we just have to wait for the bobos who 'run' the global game to also realize it.

Goal-line and sideline technology available now would eliminate the question, 'did it cross the line', and allow the offside rule to be applied more fairly...

Fouls, and diving are other aspects that would benefit enormously from instant replays...
In short, what the game needs imho, is not fiddling with the rules, but implementation of modern electronic aids.

Agree 100%, but the electronic help can only complement rule changes. Anyway, it will not happen in our lifetime. So i just stay off soccer, only watch if german teams make it to the final. But then, to be honest: even tough i am munich fan since the 70s, i didn´t care about the outcome. My heart just wasn´t in it. That much the existing rules spoiled my once love for the game.

Merckx index said:
There’s a very simple solution to settling ties in soccer that would have the additional advantage of cutting down on the number of games that are tied in the first place. Have the OT, but if the game is still tied at that point, the winner is the team that had the ball the majority of time in its opponent’s half of the field. A great many ties in soccer result because one team, considered the underdog, drops back and plays defense....

Good idea. But it´s easier to just widen the goals and skip the offside rule as it stands. Attacking teams will be rewarded. I mean just look at the 3-Point-Rule. It didn´t change the defensive minds a bit. Same outcomes as before. But if more shots hit the goal area, the more goals will occur. It´s just a matter of time that a team shooting 20 times a game scores. The success rate of shots hitting the goal area was ca. 30% in the last WC. If it goes up to let´s say 45%, coaches would think twice if defending 90+ minutes or actually play.

Merckx index said:
I could see making the goals bigger in both soccer and hockey. As hockey stands now, I’ve often wondered why some NHL team didn’t sign some 500 pound fat slob to park himself in front of the goal. If he could handle getting hit by the puck, he could block the entire goal, so it would be effectively impossible to score.

Awesome. Why i didn´t came to that idea? I wondered for long why teams don´t put two defense players left and right off the goalie. No puck will ever get trou. But your idea is wayy better. No injury chance for my "defense player theory". Are the hockey guys not smart enough? We should ask about this in the hockey forum. But i guess we´d get slaughtered. :D

Thanks for that hint. Man, hockey is even more incomplete than soccer. I just realized now. Look, the NBA signed Manute Bol and the chinese guy for the rebounds. So i see no reason for not signing an obese 500 lbs guy to make scoring impossible...

Merckx index said:
There has to be a reason why no one has tried this, but I’m not sure what. Maybe a guy obese enough to do the job would not be able to stand on skates that long in one place.

So what? Then they sign as much fat goalies as possible. If one 500-guy gets tired, send the next one in. I guess there are enough underpaid sumo wrestlers around, waiting for a fat NHL-Contract. :D

Merckx index said:
Maybe this could explain the mental deficiencies in all those people who have been cheerleading for Lance? ☺

That made my day. The best one liner since the famous Bolt-Thread.

Since i mentioned the NFL many times in this post, i think we are not off topic and can go on.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, where are you? We need to keep this one front page trou the off season. ;)

Another LOL at the National Luck League;
The 8th seed more-losses-than-wins-Kings meet the 6th seed of the eastern conference, the NJ Devils.

My guess: 4-3, game 7 going into double overtime.... just don´t know who the "champion" will be.

You cats been busy.

What's all this NBA talk? I can't say much about NBA cos I only watch it if there's nothing else on and I have absolutely nothing else to do. Even then I'll only take in a quarter or so.

Plenty going on in the NFL OTA's. Alpe's right again. D-Clark not to Pats, but to Fins. And K2 to Seattle. I like that move. Also in Hawkville, Russel Wilson (#3 pick by SEA) is challenging for the starting QB spot, and likely will take over the backup role for whoever the starter ends up being. Heck, he might even end up starting. He has definately made the most of his opportunities. The other draft picks by Hawks are looking sharp at the moment too. Shows what the draft experts know.

Right now tho I'm just savoring Ryder H's Giro win. How bout that eh?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
You cats been busy.

What's all this NBA talk?
Right now tho I'm just savoring Ryder H's Giro win. How bout that eh?

Actually it´s NHL and soccer, and further it´s about luck involvement there. To not get off topic, i spinned that around NFL comparisons (where a good dose of luck is involved too, but not as much to make the real football regular seasons meaningless :D).

Yeah, that Ryder win was good & deserved, b/c all the pre game favourites either went on strike (see stage 16; the biggest disapointment of them all), raced cowardly (Scarponi, and all those wheel suckers) or simply disappointed (Rujano). The only up note was De Gendt´s daring exploit, as mentioned Hesjedal handed the win, and me finishing first in the first round of the great grand tour game...

Let's talk about the NFL, not because it's on topic, but because the off season is when things happen only dolts like us can appreciate. :)

I have successfully moved from Oregon to Connecticut, so I'm out of NBA/MLS country, and right into NFL/MLB country. A little over two hours from seeing Patriots, Giants of Jets games. :)

Loved that Lance comment, btw. :D

Alpe d'Huez said:
Let's talk about the NFL, not because it's on topic, but because the off season is when things happen only dolts like us can appreciate. :)

I have successfully moved from Oregon to Connecticut, so I'm out of NBA/MLS country, and right into NFL/MLB country. A little over two hours from seeing Patriots, Giants of Jets games. :)

Loved that Lance comment, btw. :D

Dolts... I resemble that.

Good luck on the new (I presume) job. But I have to say if you are that close to Patsville, then you still have the NBA Celtics.

Mrs. Alpe got a better paying career job, so were here. Yes, Celtics are the "local" team, but trust me, it's baseball season here. Two sports dominate this region, football and baseball. They tower over everything else.

Being from Oregon, I can tell you about LaMichael James. He can make it in the NFL, but not as a 4 down back. He will see mostly 3rd downs, and spot play. Think of him as a poor mans Reggie Bush. He's very explosive in the open field, and can catch the ball, but in the NFL will not run well between tackles. He didn't against LSU or Auburn for example. But in situational downs, James will have some very good plays.

As I said several posts ago, I'll be very surprised if Tjax ever plays another down in Seattle. The Seahawks QB chart will go: Flynn, Russell, Portis.

Good article on NFL.com about Seattle WR Williams and why he had an excellent 2010, and a poor 2011.

I didn't read the NFL.com article about Mike Williams. But I heard he was injured much of last season, but don't know the specifics.

On LJames, that was my gut feel about him too. Put another way, I'd be very surprised if he became a 3 down back in the NFL. And if he does, he probably would have a very short career doing it from the pounding he would take.

At this point I agree on the TJax situation. But that one really is harder to predict and is more open for surprises. But he is not going to get dumped anytime soon. I would expect them to get through the preseason before they made a final commitment.

Williams Liked working with Hasselback because Matt would throw to him more. Specifically, jump passes, which Williams excels at catching. Tjax wouldn't throw those balls, presumably out of fear of being intercepted, so Williams got many less chances, and went back to 2009 laziness. Supposedly he's now fit and looking towards catching for Flynn.

Wow. I had not heard that one about TJax not wanting to throw the jump ball. IMO, if a team has a receiver who can go up and grab the jump ball, the QB has to make that throw once in a while. And if the QB is unwilling to do that, then the QB should be the one on the hot seat. That might be one more reason to be done with TJ. But a lot of the ability to execute the jump ball is just timing and confidence in passing and the receiver to go up for it. And the only way to develop that is with practice, even extra time after regular practice. At one time, Williams was willing to do whatever it takes. Makes me wonder if the problem lies more with TJ than with Williams. At least that would be my guess. That said, I still could give TJ a bit of slack there because if a QB is not confident an injured receiver (which Williams was) will go up high not wanting to risk further injury on landing, then he's not likely to make that throw. In fact, TJ may have been instructed to not make that throw for that reason.

Bottom line is, we know Seattle was not happy with how TJax has worked out so far. But now that they have 2 other QBs in camp who can actually compete for the starting job, the decision on who gets the starting job, who stays with the team, and who goes will come down to performance in the preseason camps and games. But I think it will be a tough row to hoe for TJ.

Seattle fans must also recall that the OL took about 10 games to gel last season, with Tjax on the run, and him being hurt at times too. But it really stands to reason Flynn will be the starter, and the team taking a good long term look at Russell.

Loys of hype and expectations in Indy about Luck. As much as people want to say he's only a rookie, the pressure will have to be huge on him.

A lot of talk in Miami about how great Tannehill will be in that offense, but I really think the fins age going to be sub average for about 10 games, shuffling QBs, then say it's time for Tannehill, who will struggle badly.

Big expectations on NE with the added influx of defensive players. I guess the team is used to it though, and expects to win the SB every year.

Steelers happy with their draft, and seek revenge after that playoff loss to Tebow. But I question if they have the offensive weapons, and their age.

Speaking of Tebow, he supposedly continues to impress the coaching staff in NY, and I have to wonder what's going to happen ther, especially after the Jets signed Sanchez to that huge Brady-like contract.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
We must be nearing the start of the season as Giant's players are getting injured!

Been trying to keep up with the thread but not much time to post.

Here's a question though:
"Elite" Criterion or norm referenced?

Whenever the word is used it usually precipitates a discussion of who is top 3 or top five as the definition but does there have to be a limit to the number of players who can be considered elite in any position?

The dictionary defines it as people considered superior in a group or organisation so that means not everyone can be elite but could there be less than 5 or more than 10?

If you're wondering why I started thinking about this, so am I.

Amsterhammer said:
Alpe, will you be switching allegiances in view of your move to the other coast?:p

One thing you may benefit from by having Alpe on the other coast is he will be closer to local Skins news that does not hit the national charts.

I must confess I have sinned. I watched almost an entire NBA playoff game last night (Heat over Celts in OT). Tonight I will likely repeat by watching the Spurs vs OKC. Go San Anton!

SirLes said:
We must be nearing the start of the season as Giant's players are getting injured!

Been trying to keep up with the thread but not much time to post.

Here's a question though:
"Elite" Criterion or norm referenced?

Whenever the word is used it usually precipitates a discussion of who is top 3 or top five as the definition but does there have to be a limit to the number of players who can be considered elite in any position?

The dictionary defines it as people considered superior in a group or organisation so that means not everyone can be elite but could there be less than 5 or more than 10?

If you're wondering why I started thinking about this, so am I.

Interesting question. For me, I do not put limits on how many I would consider to be elite. Even just considering elites by position (e.g. NFL QBs). Not 5, not 10, not 20. NFL.com often broadcasts top 10 or 50 of this or that. Not all of them are what you might consider elite, but many are. OFC, with the NFL's history it is pretty easy to draft up a top 10 of just about any postion, including kickers :D.

Last night NFL.com aired "Top 10 Defenses of all time". That was incredibly awesome. Can you guess the top two?

Now off that rabbit trail, and back to elites... Wednesday (I think next Wednesday) NFL.com will air "TOP 100 PLAYERS OF 2012". Not all are going to be elites, but there will be some.

More ugly evidence and details of the bounty system. Anyone who thinks the players shouldn’t be suspended for this should have his head examined:

The NFL has a copy of a "ledger" that was kept detailing weekly earnings for players in the New Orleans Saints bounty system, according to two sources with knowledge of the investigation.
The ledger, which shows both money earned for "cart-offs" and "whacks" and deducted for "mental errors," also points to the fact that players were told on a week-by-week basis of their performance.

While the ledger doesn't necessarily prove that there was an actual transaction, it is potentially strong evidence that such a system existed. In the ledger, payments of $1,000 for cart-offs (a hit that resulted in a player being helped off the field), $400 for whacks (hard hits) and $100 deductions for mental errors were kept track of for each player.

Two specific entries for the 2009 season were shown during one meeting. In a game at Buffalo on Sept. 27, 2009, there were three $1,000 awards. In a game against the New York Giants on Oct. 18, there was a $1,000 bounty awarded for one cart-off.

There was also a notation that after one game an opposing player who had been carted off was placed on injured reserve. The notation of the player on IR included an exclamation mark.

In other NFL news, Harbaugh the younger said the 49ers never “pursued” Manning, they just “evaluated” him. He also said that if they had signed Manning, they would have re-signed Alex Smith and the two QBs would have competed for the starting position.

Anyone want to buy the GG Bridge cheap? It’s just 75 years old, this past week, and I’ll sell it to you.

I can really see Payton saying to himself, yeah, I want to go to a team where I have to prove that I deserve to start by playing well in exhibition games. And I can really see Alex saying, yeah, I want to stay with the 49ers and be a backup for the next 3-4 years. But, hey, when you go 13-3 in your rookie head coaching season, you can make outrageous statements like this, and no one really cares. The local theory is that Harbaugh said this to make Alex feel he really is loved and respected, and that the team never had any plans to dump him, even though they certainly would have if Payton had chosen the 49ers. Harbaugh also mentioned that if they had given Payton his asking price, they would have had to let 6-7 other players go. That was why I always felt it was a mistake for the Niners to go after him and I'm glad they didn't get him.

Last night NFL.com aired "Top 10 Defenses of all time". That was incredibly awesome. Can you guess the top two?

My personal choices would be the 2001 (?) Ravens, the team that won the SB, and the 1985 Bears, who also won a SB. But I imagine one of the Steel Curtain teams had to rank very high.

TRENDING THREADS