• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nationality of teams

I am aware that many teams are registered as being of one nationality while their identity (training bases, nationality of most riders, sponsor bases, even language of website) is firmly based in another, hence three teams that are, to all intents and purposes, Italian riding under an Irish flag, and a fourth claiming, with an equal lack of conviction, to be British.

What throws me is that, according to the pages on the respective teams on the UCI site, Astana is based in Luxembourg, and Katusha in Switzerland. What jurisdiction can the Kazakh and Russian cycling federations claim over these companies that are based outside their territory that means they are registered as teams of those nationalities? :confused:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
I am aware that many teams are registered as being of one nationality while their identity (training bases, nationality of most riders, sponsor bases, even language of website) is firmly based in another, hence three teams that are, to all intents and purposes, Italian riding under an Irish flag, and a fourth claiming, with an equal lack of conviction, to be British.

What throws me is that, according to the pages on the respective teams on the UCI site, Astana is based in Luxembourg, and Katusha in Switzerland. What jurisdiction can the Kazakh and Russian cycling federations claim over these companies that are based outside their territory that means they are registered as teams of those nationalities? :confused:

Whoever they bought the license from had registered the license in those countries. They don't feel like paying a fee to re-register it somewhere else when they have no problem with where it is now.

TRENDING THREADS