• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Belgium: Nys vs Albert (+Pauwels, Vantornhout, Vantourenhout, Wellens,...)
Czech Republic: Stybar (+Dlask, Simunek)
Netherlands: De knecht vs Boom(?) (+ Al)
France: Mouray (+?)
Italy: Franzoi (+ Fontana)
Spain:???
Edit: Is germany today? Should be Walsleben

US has already been done?

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a question regarding jerseys.

Lets say Albert wins Nats while he still has the rainbow jersey and then Nys gets second, is it like stage races where the 2nd place rider gets the worst of the jerseys.

I find that hard to believe cuz if Nys got the national jersey by default and if neither of them win at worlds, he will just lose it randomly and that would be harsh.

And then if Albert wins Nats and 2nd place doesn't get the jersey will it just dissapear or will he get a special jersey combining both?

Sorry to high jack the thread but I'm curious.

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
no ... the national jersey stays with the winner ... but the world jersey 'outranks' the national ... so we won't be seeing the national jersey if Albert wins it today untill February 1st (unless Albert beats Stybie in Tabor;))

there are no special combo's regarding shirts ...

btw ... world jersey outranks UCI leader jersey which outranks national jersey ... that's the way it is

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Boom wins his second cross of the season and takes home another jersey for his immense collection.

Probably hard to take for De Knegt and Al who are both full-time CX riders.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Apparently Albert didnt see the front of the race because some ****ed belgian had him off his bike and caused him to bust a rib. Hope it doesnt mess him up for the up coming world cups and more importantly the world championships.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Why isnt that fan having charges pressed against him? That is assault! I am not the biggest Albert fan but I like competition and having him attacked does not create competition.

Also I think that Sven Nys could finally get the World Championship Jersey back this year, but I hope that Albert has recovered from his broken rib. As long as it doesnt go to a sprint finish with Stybar...

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
BrandonT said:
Why isnt that fan having charges pressed against him? That is assault! I am not the biggest Albert fan but I like competition and having him attacked does not create competition.

we don't live in a culture where everything is resolved with law suits :D ;)

although I didn't think Niels was strong enough to counter Sven last Sunday it is indeed a shame it had to happen ... it was/is a big deal in the media over here

problem is the rib fracture is situated in the front, on his chest which will hinder him during breathing ...

Sunday's still 5 days away ... so wait & see what happens

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
This is part of cyclo-cross, it happened 10 years ago, i'm sure it happened 30 years ago, and i see no reason why it would't happen over 20 years.

Hearing the story of that man, I do believe it was more of a (drunken?) accident, rather than an assault.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I am sorry, but if I was "attacked" (Niels words) by a fan and the result of that "attack" was a broken rib which would keep me from working for potentially a few weeks. I would want that person who attacked me to be disciplined by the authorities. I am not saying Niels should sue him.
I will admit though that I am not familiar with the Belgian law system.

Niels, if he misses some races will forfiet his start fee (around 8000 euros/race). Also, Roubaix is a race I would suspect he could win. :eek:

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
I was just joking about the legal system ... but yeah, law suits like that don't happen that often over here

anyway ... Niels & his entourage were thinking about it & talked about it with their solicitor ... but decided not to press charges because it's a case of his word against the other guy ... so

about Roubaix ... if Vervecken doesn't win :D:D:D it will be Stybie ... he was good here last year ... in muddy conditions ... in fact he was the only guy of the top 10 to ride of the decent ... all the others, including Nys, ran down ...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I did get you were joking, I wasn't debating that. It is a joke as well, in NA that person would be sued by the Organizer, the Team, the main sponsor of the team and the rider and maybe the bike manufacturer for the team.

Anyways, I think Stybar will podium in Roubaix because he is Mr Consistant this year. I would also like to see Lil Tom Meeusen/Kevin Pauwels and Sven Nys on that podium.
Stybar will be extremely motivated by the chance of taking over the World Cup lead though. Oh, and showing off his new National Champion Jersey...

How are the conditions in Roubaix?

Mar 23, 2009
Visit site
they're predicting thaw as from tomorrow ... so it will be more muddy than the last couple of weeks ...

Meeusen will be racing U23, not elites

Buffalo Soldier said:
Spain:???
Javier Ruiz de Larrinaga won his second Championship over the biker José Antonio Hermida (double champion in 2007 and 2008). Without any doubts, the Spanish level in cyclo-cross, nowadays, is not so good.
If we look the firsts places on this 2010 Championship, we can that see that too much of the better riders weren't started in this speciality.

1st --> Ruiz de Larrinaga (1979), he started to do cyclo-cross in 2006. Before, he was in the continental team Kaiku.
2nd --> José Antonio Hermida (1978), you know, is one of the better bikers in the world. He only uses cyclo-cross like a "training".
3rd --> Egoitz Murgoitio (1983), he is probably the only one who focuses his season ever for cyclo-cross. He's better in muddy conditions.
4th --> Tino Zaballa (1978), ex-Kelme, Saunier Duval and Caisse d'Epargne rider. For doping issues, he started to ride abroad (in Portugal).

But there is a little bit hope in two young guys: David Lozano (in my avatar, 1988), five times Spanish cyclo-cross champion, 2006 junior and 2007 to 2010 under-23, and Jon Ander Insausti (I don't know when he born, probably in 1993, more of less), junior Spanish champion and he started to ride some Belgian races this season (8th his better position, if I remember well).
If they improve in technical and fisical conditions (Belgians and Dutchs are too strongs for their possibilities), they can make good performances in international events.