• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Native American or First Nation Cyclist

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I don't really like Danielson nor Garmin team. They can eat what they want but they are so pretentious.
I like to joke to but heres a funny one. This year in Northern Canada in a remote Indian village they radioed that they needed help. I aussume they needed doctors and swine flu vaccine. The villagers were sent a care package of body bags.
The way I hear it in the Dakotas and Canada if you are native american you are treated worse then a piece of cattle. Not the bovines from India.
Joke on Maynard.

The remote communities of Wasagamack and God's River First Nation received a shipment of body bags with hand sanitizer and face masks. These communities had been hit hard by the H1N1 "swine flu" earlier in the year, and at the time there was no vaccine available. In a community of 500 accessible only by plane, you can imagine how quickly a virus can spread. You can also imagine how quickly disease would spread if people died and there were no body bags available. So was it government ignorance, or common sense preparation for a new deadly virus?

As for treating our FN countrymen like cattle, that's a hell of an indictment of our country. I'd try to counter that, but I get the feeling you write without thinking and my efforts would be wasted. Besides, I'd only feed into your hijack of the OP.

Oh yeah, we don't have native Americans in Canada. We have native Canadians.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry

Sorry I didn't know the body bags were preventetive. Thanks for the update.
Also I stand corrected.

I get my info from my wife who lived in Grand Forks North Dakota. Also from a friend of mine who lived in Winnepeg Manitoba.

I hope the Native Canadians are doing well. Maybe you could update me on their views on Gold Mining in and Tar Sand mining in Canada.

I have never seen a Colnago or high end bike on any of the Res.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I often travel and work in numerous northern Manitoba (Canadian province) reserves and have yet to see a Colnago or for that matter any other road bike. However, I regularly see $50,000 pickups, snow machines, ATVs, boats, satellite TV, Internet, cell phones etc.
Treatment of Canada's First Nations people is nowhere near the "Third World" conditions that many Aboriginal leaders would have you believe. Corruption, incompetence, nepotism are all rampant on reserve but sadly much of this is home grown. I have many native friends and colleagues but I can assure you cycling is not a priority.
Lastly, there's an abundance of gravel on reserves, Cyclo-cross would be a much better option.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
...I hope the Native Canadians are doing well. Maybe you could update me on their views on Gold Mining in and Tar Sand mining in Canada...

You should research Hobbema, Alberta. A reserve of 12,000 residents that had an incredibly productive oil and gas sand patch on its land. Each resident received a 6 figure payment on his 18th birthday, royalties from the oil/gas companies. Proof that money doesn't solve social issues by itself, the town became one of the most violent places in the nation. Some First Nations no doubt love the employment and royalty opportunities, others appear to recognize that the cost to their land and traditional values is not always worth the income. Depends who you ask I guess. I certainly won't presume to speak for any First Nation, and I doubt that there is consensus on these issues in any community.

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/red...s_Hobbema_First_Nations_can_defeat_gangs.html

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/natnews-north@yahoogroups.com/1474687.html

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Peddaling Squares

Hey thanks for the info.
I am a member of Doyon a native corporation of 14000. Athabaskan interior Alaska.

Free money ain't always good. For us its small about 200$ a year. Corporation did give 3000$ for a couple of semesters of college to my nieces. Much appreciated.

Now 200$ hmmm? About 3 Continental 4000 clinchers......

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
In Toronto in the late 90s there were a couple of guys who were native canadian bike couriers; pretty quick and smooth road bike handling skills. I didn't talk much with them, so i don't know their story, but it did demonstrate there is no reason native indians/ canadian can't be good cyclists.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Last time I looked Canada was still part of North America... must have missed the news of the massive geological event it would have taken to change that.

Native American is most commonly a term for persons indigenous to the United States. That is how the term is interpreted in this country. However, I know that the US Census Bureau uses this term for any person indigenous to North, South, or Central America, so your point is noted.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
For sure

I am sure there are some native americans racing pro. Hey Kurt Warner is Native Indian QB for the Rams. Jim Thorpe was Native. All of the original Mexican team in the original Tour of California in the 70s was native. Check out the teams in the tour of mexico and the tour of chiuahua on cycling news. Lean and mean native cyclists.
Way back pre-columbus the continents of south and north america had no national boundry lines. Many Natives consider the border between Canada/US, Mexico/US false borders.
Many tribes overlaped into the different countries now.
Thus I consider all native indians native american; north or south america.
To get technical that goes for any race born in north or south america.
We are all native americans any race born on these 2 continents. 1 people united.

TRENDING THREADS