• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure about the current NCAA bracket seeing as I have yet to catch up with college bb, but I do think Oregon will be the first no.1 seed to fall.

Btw., am extremely happy to see Gonzaga is being included in the Big Dance... they're just the little train that keeps on chugging along.

Yale made the NCAA tournament for the first time in more than fifty years, then won its first ever tournament game in a major first round upset. All this despite the fact that one of its best players, Jack Montague, left school last month, apparently expelled because he was found guilty of sexual misconduct.

This is a debatable case, to say the least. In a statement released by his lawyer, Montague says he had consensual sex with the woman four times, and that she only claimed that the fourth and last time was non-consensual. Moreover, she waited more than a year to report the incident, to a coordinator who actually filed the complaint. There were no witnesses, it was purely a he-said, she-said situation. Such hearings at Yale and other colleges are quite different from a legal proceeding—the accused is not allowed to confront the accuser, nor to discover evidence that might support his case—and to avoid a guilty charge, there must be a clear “yes” to proceed throughout the sexual encounter.

I consider myself a strong supporter of women’s rights, but I’m really beginning to think the system has gone too far in protecting them. It’s one thing if a man who meets a woman for the first time forces himself on her; it’s quite different if the two have had consensual sex previously. By the letter of the rule, a guy could have penetrated, been on the verge of coming, and if the woman at that moment said no—or just didn’t say yes—and he didn’t pull out, he could be charged with rape.

But it’s more than that. Everyone knows that in relationships we frequently do things we don’t want to do, to accommodate the other person. If a guy who has had sex with a woman previously wants to have it again, is it such a big deal for the woman to do it? According to the lawyer’s statement, she had voluntarily returned to his dorm room and gone to bed with him. Of course, this is only side's version of what happened, but if we assume that they did know each other and had previously consensual sex, why is what he did considered assault? He wasn’t charged with a crime, the woman AFAIK did not claim that he physically abused her, forced himself on her, or prevented her from leaving him. Again, it appears that she was in bed with him of her own free will. Her whole case seems to rest on the premise that they had sex, and though she wanted to before, she didn’t really want to this time. Certainly she could not prove anything more than this. You're going to ruin someone's life for this?

Suppose he met her on campus and wanted to talk to her in private. She didn't want to. He took her hand and pulled her aside. Is she going to charge him with kidnapping?

On a more positive note, the biggest basketball game of the year is Saturday night. Not in Round 2 of the NCAA tournament, but in the NBA. The Warriors visit the Spurs, in a clash of the past two NBA champions, two teams that are having historic seasons that put them head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Regular season games in professional sports of any kind really don't get any bigger than this, So much is on the line here:

1) The Warriors lead the Spurs by four games (assuming they beat Dallas Friday night) in the race for no. 1 seed in the conference and home court advantage in the post-season. The Western Conference finals will almost certainly come down to these two teams, and the team with home advantage will have a big edge.

2) The Warriors are trying to set a record for most wins in a season, and can do it if they lose no more than three of their remaining fifteen games. Three of those fifteen games are against the Spurs.

3) The Spurs, after losing a few games early in the season, have matched the Warriors in wins for about three months, and are on a pace to have the highest point differential in NBA history, which stat heads will tell you might be a better measure of how good a team is than wins.

4) Both teams are undefeated at home this season, something that no team in NBA history has ever done. In fact, both teams have gone deeper into the season undefeated at home than any previous team, the Spurs winning their first 34, the Warriors their first 32. The Warriors have set a record for home wins in a row, 50, going back to last season, while the Spurs are at 43, and would tie the historic Bulls for second with a win Saturday night. The Warriors are probably the only team with much of a chance of beating the Spurs in San Antonio, and if they fail Saturday, they have another chance later in the season. The Spurs, who lost badly to the Warriors in Oakland earlier in the season, visit them again later in the season, and are probably the only team with much of a chance to beat them at home. The two teams actually play each other home and away in the last four games of the season, and to add to the intrigue, if the Warriors have clinched no. 1 by then, both teams may have to decide between resting their starters for the post-season (and not revealing all their tricks) and going for some record.

5) The matchup is classic irresistible force vs. immovable object. The Warriors are the best offensive team in the league, one of the best ever, while the Spurs are clearly the best defensive team. The Warriors’ Stephen Curry is the best offensive player in the league, maybe the best shooter in NBA history, the overwhelming favorite for MVP, and he will be matched against the Spurs’ Kawhi Leonard, one of the best defensive players in the league, and probably deserving of MVP runner-up.

6) The Warriors have not beat the Spurs in San Antonio in the regular season in nearly two decades. This is a real monkey on their back that they presumably would like to get rid of before they meet them in the post-season.

I will definitely be watching both games tonight(NCAA and NBA), crazy clicking the remote.
Watching Indiana against Kentucky now, rooting for Indiana.
I had Michigan State in the finals!!

The Warriors were dialed in last night with both Curry and Thompson hitting the 3's. Best shooting guards on the same team ever.
Thompson was really squaring up and drilling the 3's last night. His shot is right up there with Ray Allen's for perfect form and release.

I hope Popavich doesn't rest any key players for the prime time TV match up. I really think he does it on purpose sometimes due to his pissing match with the NBA scheduler a few years ago. It would be nice to see a good match up. I am good with either team winning and hoping for a closer game than last time.

Rob

Re:

robtmitchell said:
The Warriors were dialed in last night with both Curry and Thompson hitting the 3's. Best shooting guards on the same team ever.

They have a combined 560 three-pointers, nearly 200 more than the next best pair, Portland's. And are on a pace for about 650.

Thompson was really squaring up and drilling the 3's last night. His shot is right up there with Ray Allen's for perfect form and release.

On a pace for about 270, which would be more than anyone but Curry, and close to Curry's record before this year. It's scary to think that Thompson might become Curry's near-equal as a shooter.

I hope Popavich doesn't rest any key players for the prime time TV match up.

He can afford to. The Warriors may be missing Bogut, a starter, and definitely won’t have Iguodala, the most important bench player. The absence of those two hurts the Warriors more than the loss of Duncan hurt the Spurs when the two teams met earlier in the season.

The Warriors also played the night before, in fact, have to play the night before both their games at SA this year—against playoff contenders, no less—which is cruel and unusual scheduling punishment. Given that and the absence of key players, this will be a very tough game for the Warriors to win.

For sure on the Indiana vs NC match up. I had not watched Indiana this year but hey look well balanced and athletic yesterday.
NC and Kansas look very good as well.
It would be nice if a few underdog teams keep advancing, go Northern Iowa! Washpun has a reported 46 inch vertical!

The Spurs took it to the Warriors. They were hounding the shooters (Curry and Thompson) unlike anyone this year.
Not sure they can do that for a series in the playoffs but they went small ball and it worked last night.
The Warriors were without 3 of their players Bogut, Iguodala, and the other center who has been out for a couple months.
It should be a good rematch and I will be surprised if the Spurs don't rest some guys and not show all their cards again.
Popavich seems to be the best coach and gets the most out of NBA journeyman at times.
It is nice to see a coach who runs the team unlike some of the NBA teams.

Rob

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Make that Oregon is all that's left. 11-seed Zags destroyed 3-seed Utah 80-something to 50-something.
I'm lovin' it!

It's my understanding Gonzaga absolutely had to win their 2nd rate conference title (which they did) because their regular season was less than stellar if they stood any chance of making it into the NCAA tournament, and looky here now, they're in the Sweet Sixteen!

Go Zags!

(My dad's bracket was busted because he had the MSU Spartans in the Final, I've got UNC and Kansas in mine. So far so good, thank goodness I don't bet money on March Madness.)

I admit that I didn't watch much NCAA BB this year, but watching the tournament I am overwhelmed by the sloppy play. Maybe its the AAU syndrome that we've been hearing about for a while now, but the quality of play is not tournament worthy. Yes, some games are exciting because they come down to the wire, but only because both teams played equally poorly. There have been some great individual performances. Since I don't have cable the tournament is over for me now anyway because the rest of the games are on TBS.

Hi hoop fans,

I am watching now, WOW Curry has 6 three's in the first quarter and is going for 400 for the year. I think he needs 8 for the game.
He is dialed in and the Memphis defense looks like they are done for the year. Still fantastic shooting to watch!

I hope they get the record. I think those Bulls team would have matched up well and beat them in a series, but not sweep them as Pippen stated.

Bad news is, it is time for some of us old dudes to go to sleep.

Good news is the playoffs are coming and this thread can continue.

Rob

What a record-smashing season it’s been in the NBA. The 73 wins have gotten most of the attention, but there has also been:

1) 24 win streak to start the season, longest in NA pro sports history
2) longest home win streak, 54 games
3) most road wins in a season, 34
4) first team not to lose two straight games all season
5) first team not to lose two games to any one team all season
6) joined the Bulls as the only teams to win more than 64 games two years in a row
7) also joined the Bulls as the only teams to win 39 games at home two years in a row

That’s just the Warriors. The Spurs also got into the act:

1) most consecutive home wins to start a season, 39
2) most home wins in a season, 40 (tie)

And together, it's the first time in NBA history that two teams finished with a > .800 winning percentage in the same season. All the more impressive as they play in the same conference and met four times.

Then there is Curry, who annihilated his own record for three pointers, with 402. No one else has ever had 300. Curry is also the seventh player to achieve the 50/40/90 (FG%/ 3 PT %/ FT%), and the first to do it while leading the league in scoring. That’s significant, because to lead the league in scoring, you have to take a lot of shots, which generally lowers your accuracy. In fact, Curry’s three point % was the second highest of any player on this list, while taking more than twice as many shots from long range. Curry also had more FG attempts overall than any player but one on the list.

He has lots of other, minor records, like most games with 8 or more three-pointers, most games with ten or more three pointers—both in one season, and (already) in a career--and tied the record with 12 three pointers in a game.

Incredible final night of the season in the NBA.

Warriors break record for wins.
Curry goes for 46 (in 3 quarters) and finishes with over 400 3s and a 30 pt avg.
Kobe goes for 60 in his final game and the Lakers win after being down almost the whole game.

Re:

robtmitchell said:
Hi hoop fans,

I am watching now, WOW Curry has 6 three's in the first quarter and is going for 400 for the year. I think he needs 8 for the game.
He is dialed in and the Memphis defense looks like they are done for the year. Still fantastic shooting to watch!

I hope they get the record. I think those Bulls team would have matched up well and beat them in a series, but not sweep them as Pippen stated.

Rob

The Bulls have never swept anyone in a finals, so Pippen is just full of it. He insults the NBA and the teams currently competing by making such statements. I think the Warriors would give them a good run for their money and depending on who has home advantage will determine who would ultimately win. Pippen showed he was a fine 2nd fiddle to Jordan but when asked to carry a team he was not up to the task.

Re: Re:

Angliru said:
robtmitchell said:
Hi hoop fans,

Rob

The Bulls have never swept anyone in a finals, so Pippen is just full of it. He insults the NBA and the teams currently competing by making such statements. I think the Warriors would give them a good run for their money and depending on who has home advantage will determine who would ultimately win. Pippen showed he was a fine 2nd fiddle to Jordan but when asked to carry a team he was not up to the task.
That depends on if they play by the '95 rules or the '16 rules. If they play by the old rules it would be tough for the smaller GS team to give them a good run. I would say the Bulls in 5.

The other bad news is there are too many 3rd to 4th place teams in the playoffs, making the playoffs run into June. Way too many teams make the NBA playoffs.

While it was cool the Warriors broke the record, it was a horribly boring game with all those 3's being chucked up. Even though they made a high percentage of them, there was just not much offensive imagination. So I stopped watching at halftime.

Still, besides Curry, how deadly it is for GS to have both Curry and Klay Thompson's 3-point shooting.

And then it is a tad interesting Steve Kerr being HC of the Warriors, while also a member of the Bulls team that set the old record.

TRENDING THREADS