• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Nobody getting into March Madness this year? Filling out your brackets?

I'm totally okay with that, but I still have Virginia taking the whole cake. (Doesn't mean I like them, but I would still like for them to beat Duke in the final.)

Nice thought ... but I don’t think so. V will be hoping to get past that pesky number 16 seed.

Auburn looks strong to me and I have them to win it.

Reality is that Zion and Duke are going to be tough to roll.

Enjoy, TR! :)

Re: Re:

Alpe73 said:
Tricycle Rider said:

I'm totally okay with that, but I still have Virginia taking the whole cake. (Doesn't mean I like them, but I would still like for them to beat Duke in the final.)

Nice thought ... but I don’t think so. V will be hoping to get past that pesky number 16 seed.

Auburn... are you serious?

That's almost like saying Gonzaga (my fave west-coast team, even though they are not Pac-12). has even half a chance of winning against all of these big gladiator teams.

Ah well, enjoy as well, Alpe. :)

I filled out 2. Have Gonzaga/Kentucky in one and Duke/Carolina in the other one. I'd love to see Gonzaga win it and I do think they are one of the 7 teams with a realistic change. However my other picks are more likely to actually happen.

Also really happy this is a light work week and my meeting Thursday is a conference call so I get to fully enjoy the full opening two rounds of the Tournament.

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:
Tricycle Rider said:

Auburn... are you serious?

That's almost like saying Gonzaga (my fave west-coast team, even though they are not Pac-12). has even half a chance of winning against all of these big gladiator teams.

Ah well, enjoy as well, Alpe. :)

Serious? Hell no. If I were ... I'd have Duke vs NC with Duke winning it all.

I'm a Kentucky fan. Yeah ... you never know what you're going to get. To see them lose the back wheel in the last 3:00 against Tennessee ... then see Auburn and BPearl roll his old Rocky Top boys by 20! ... thought'd be fun to jump behind them.

Such a fun event to watch. :)

Re:

Koronin said:
I filled out 2. Have Gonzaga/Kentucky in one and Duke/Carolina in the other one. I'd love to see Gonzaga win it and I do think they are one of the 7 teams with a realistic change. However my other picks are more likely to actually happen.

Also really happy this is a light work week and my meeting Thursday is a conference call so I get to fully enjoy the full opening two rounds of the Tournament.

Bless you. Maybe if I take my focus off them ... they'll get it done. :razz:

Alpe73 said:
Koronin said:

:lol: :lol: Hope you got a bracket filled out.

Koronin said:
Alpe73 said:
Koronin said:

:lol: :lol: Hope you got a bracket filled out.

Of course ... but more interested in the first weekend than the last. Little gigs rather than The NC. Belmont? Murray State? Stuff like that.

Bit bigger gig ... would like to see Florida State go deep.

Alpe73 said:
That it is...

I've got Kentucky going all the way into the Elite Eight, but sadly, and after that, they will be knocked off by the Tar Heels according to my bracket. :(

I had my dad fill out a bracket as well, he thinks the Badgers will somehow win the whole thing. While the Badgers may beat Oregon tomorrow I just don't see them making it any further than the round of 32, so my dad is in for some heartache as well.

PS - I'm a WA Husky, but don't seen them getting past Utah in the first round. So, yeah.

PPS - We're just shooting the breeze here, none of us actually know for sure who will win the whole tourney. (Not even the experts, I dare say.) Which is what makes this so much fun - who will be this year's Cinderella team?

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:
That it is...

I've got Kentucky going all the way into the Elite Eight, but sadly, and after that, they will be knocked off by the Tar Heels according to my bracket. :(

I had my dad fill out a bracket as well, he thinks the Badgers will somehow win the whole thing. While the Badgers may beat Oregon tomorrow I just don't see them making it any further than the round of 32, so my dad is in for some heartache as well.

PS - I'm a WA Husky, but don't seen them getting past Utah in the first round. So, yeah.

PPS - We're just shooting the breeze here, none of us actually know for sure who will win the whole tourney. (Not even the experts, I dare say.) Which is what makes this so much fun - who will be this year's Cinderella team?

When Kentucky took a perfect season into the Final Four a few years back ... went to bed early ‘knowing’ they’d be in the NC game ...

Feckin Badgers!

Of course ... we’re all bull shitters saying we know who will win. All those dudes pumpin their chests out with their bracket ... eating Zantac like candy! :lol:

Cinderella? The way that Murray State just rolled Marquette ... they really got the eye of the tiger. Had them and have Florida State to beat them ... but I’m calling it now. Murray State will take out my Florida State team on Saturday.

What a blast, TR! :razz:

Well at least you both have your own schools to cheer for. I went to a small (old Division I-AA football) school that rarely even has a chance to get into their conference basketball championship game let alone a chance to make the Tournament. However, when I was there we won several football titles. The first weekend of the Tournament is always the most fun. Since they put all the games on so we can choose which game to watch we aren't stuck watching blowouts anymore.

Re:

Koronin said:
Well at least you both have your own schools to cheer for. I went to a small (old Division I-AA football) school that rarely even has a chance to get into their conference basketball championship game let alone a chance to make the Tournament. However, when I was there we won several football titles. The first weekend of the Tournament is always the most fun. Since they put all the games on so we can choose which game to watch we aren't stuck watching blowouts anymore.
I went to an NAIA college that didn't even have football. We've won 19 baseball titles though! One year we called our mens Basketball team the Kanuks because the three best players were from BC. The men have made it to the second round so far this season.

Who watched the Terriers win last night? They're a pretty solid team with some throw-back tendencies.

jmdirt said:
Koronin said:
I went to an NAIA college that didn't even have football. We've won 19 baseball titles though! One year we called our mens Basketball team the Kanuks because the three best players were from BC. The men have made it to the second round so far this season.

Who watched the Terriers win last night? They're a pretty solid team with some throw-back tendencies.

I can see why you would have called them Kanuks while those players where. 19 titles is impressive.

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:
That it is...

Yikes! You obviously know your Dad ... and his picks ... better than me. And ... roll on Washington. :razz:

jmdirt said:
Koronin said:

Love the Terriers. Penchant for the threes. Roll on Wofford! :razz:

Alpe73 said:
Yikes! You obviously know your Dad ... and his picks ... better than me. And ... roll on Washington. :razz:
Even with that boneheaded Badgers pick (dad doesn't follow b-ball at all, much like I don't until March Madness), he's still doing better than me so far. (At the magnificent prediction success rate of 12% and ranked 12.5 millionth at ESPN I'm really stinking up the joint.) This is the worst bracket I've ever had... what is going on this March?

Well, here comes round 2, and hopefully more surprises!

Btw., Koronin, I agree the first weekend is always the most fun, just because there are so many games to choose from. And it's also usually where the most insanity happens, which is also a lot of fun. (Unless you gamble and put a lot of money on the tourney, of course. Which I never do.)

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:
Even with that boneheaded Badgers pick (dad doesn't follow b-ball at all, much like I don't until March Madness), he's still doing better than me so far. (At the magnificent prediction success rate of 12% and ranked 12.5 millionth at ESPN I'm really stinking up the joint.) This is the worst bracket I've ever had... what is going on this March?

Btw., Koronin, I agree the first weekend is always the most fun, just because there are so many games to choose from. And it's also usually where the most insanity happens, which is also a lot of fun. (Unless you gamble and put a lot of money on the tourney, of course. Which I never do.)

Major fail at prognosticating ... thought Murray State would beat FLState. Wrong! But I do have FS in my bracket. :geek:

Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:

Yep and that is what I love so much about the opening weekend. Fill out brackets, but no money. At least this year my brackets aren't yet in complete taters like last year. Of course I have lost 2 elite 8 teams, along with a couple of sweet 16 teams. My Final 4 teams in 3 of 4 brackets I did are still intact. On a side note I have Virginia losing next weekend because I don't trust them. However, funny enough the South bracket (Virgina's) is by far my worst bracket. :lol: Go figure.

Alpe73 said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Alpe73 said:

Major fail at prognosticating ... thought Murray State would beat FLState. Wrong! But I do have FS in my bracket. :geek:

That's alright, I had Marquett beating Florida State. Opps!

Koronin said:
Yep and that is what I love so much about the opening weekend. Fill out brackets, but no money. At least this year my brackets aren't yet in complete taters like last year. Of course I have lost 2 elite 8 teams, along with a couple of sweet 16 teams. My Final 4 teams in 3 of 4 brackets I did are still intact. On a side note I have Virginia losing next weekend because I don't trust them. However, funny enough the South bracket (Virgina's) is by far my worst bracket. :lol: Go figure.
Speaking of the South bracket... UC Irvine, aren't they a community college or something? How did they manage to beat Kansas State? Don't think they'll beat the Ducks tomorrow, though. Also, and needless to say, Washington doesn't stand a chance against NC tomorrow either.

Well, after today my current ranking is 7.5 millionth (I'm playing that ESPN tournament challenge thingy, like every year), so that's almost respectable. :lol:

Tricycle Rider said:
Koronin said:
Speaking of the South bracket... UC Irvine, aren't they a community college or something? How did they manage to beat Kansas State? Don't think they'll beat the Ducks tomorrow, though. Also, and needless to say, Washington doesn't stand a chance against NC tomorrow either.

Well, after today my current ranking is 7.5 millionth (I'm playing that ESPN tournament challenge thingy, like every year), so that's almost respectable. :lol:

UC Irvine is a 4 year university that's part of the University of California system like UCLA is. There's a bunch of universities that are part of that system. They're like about half the field being a mid-major. It's similar to the North Carolina University system that include North Carolina (Chapel Hill, ACC school) along with UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Ashboro, and 3-4 other schools.
LOL, yep I play that one as well. Also have bracket at CBS and a semi-local TV/radio station's site.

Koronin said:
UC Irvine is a 4 year university that's part of the University of California system like UCLA is. There's a bunch of universities that are part of that system. They're like about half the field being a mid-major. It's similar to the North Carolina University system that include North Carolina (Chapel Hill, ACC school) along with UNC-Wilmington, UNC-Ashboro, and 3-4 other schools.
LOL, yep I play that one as well. Also have bracket at CBS and a semi-local TV/radio station's site.
Oh I knew about Irvine, I was just poking fun at them being a community college (not that there's anything wrong with CCs, I went to one myself before I transferred to the big uni), I'm just used to hearing about UCLA or UC Berkeley, or even UC Santa Barbara. So Irvine sounds new to me. Ah well, good luck to them nonetheless, I do think Oregon will beat them later today, though.

Speaking of winning...

Here's somebody I expected to win today - Kansas. They weren't supposed to lose till the next round according to me, so again, what the heck is going on this March? :mad:

TRENDING THREADS