• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA Player suspended 10 Games for DHEA-Fair Deal or pattern for all sports?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
stainlessguy1 said:
OH Dear : my apologies , yes as a masters athlete it aids your recovery . ???
Well then Dear Chap , may i suggest a beer after your ride . Sortof what the rest of us masters use these days . Unless of course some of you still have something to prove by beating recovering surgery patients and the like of all that ails the masters categories .
Yes yes our recoveries take longer with age ,, but then what is driving us we can take a day off . right .
If we havent done it by now , then just what kind of glory are we all looking for? ( YOu do mean recovery after a ride , not recovery after medical procedures right ? ) Myself I like to throw an extra fishing day in there if the chase got too hard and yes lots of beer too . lol .
:cool:
Just one more thing , as a master / veteran , i guess the other master veterans have the same problem then . So wouldnt it be logical that if no one took aids to recovery that eveyones recovery would be slower and everyone would be on an even keel again the next day ? Only slower . yes .
So lets party on dudes . Beer wins !
:D

Wow... I guess you are right. After trying to decipher what the salient thread might be here... simple is all I can come up with.

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
-Part of the burden of being a Pro athlete is managing what you are ingesting. Don't want to do that? Then retire. It's a privilege to be a pro athlete.
-What are the chances run-of-the-mill protein powder has a banned substance in it? None. Where these athlete invariably get tripped up is by consuming weight lifting/lifestyle supplements with who-knows-what in them.

Like Alberto's meat. He should have retired instead of eaten meat.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
QUOTE=VeloFidelis;423912]No... there is No simple solution, and anyone who believes that there is not well informed on the scope of the problem.

[
DHEA. I take it daily. I buy it at GNC, not through some clandestine channel. As a Masters athlete it aids my recovery, but no more than eating well and getting enough sleep.
I mean what do you really need fast recovery for as a veteran , still riding the tour in your sleep ? what ? Or do you like most new cyclists that missed the boat in the earlier years have something to prove?
If your caught on dope do you want a 10 game suspension as a veteran not a 2 year ban ? Like the NBA ? Are you looking to justify light doping ?
So that is what i replied to .
:cool:

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
titleshot said:
What you need to understand is that basketball is an olympic sport. These athletes should be held to the same standard as all olymic sports, no matter how much money they make or how strong of a union they have.

I agree with you, but they go to the agreement the union has made with the league their in. This, the IOC has agreed to, to bring pro players to the olympics.The drug testing programmes of "popular" sports is laughable

markrosen said:
What you need to understand is Pro sports such as Basketball, as well as Baseball & Football here in the States are seen as entertainment in the eyes of the Team Owners...i.e. they do not want their star players sitting on the bench, rather than out there in play so ticket holders can see their sporting heros (and make money...really the bottom line here). I should add that the Pro Player Union is very strong in all these sports, so much so that most of the time Pro players are given a heads up when they will be tested!

So basically what your saying is that it's all about money.

Thanks for the insight.:rolleyes:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
oh wow , its a privilege to drive , its a privilege to own a house ,its a privilege to have a job , its a privilege to pay tax , its a privilege to live here , its a privilege to be a pro athlete and become privileged to be a human guinea pig . mmmm mmmm i guess the needs of the many out way the needs of the few . You are privileged to ride at the front of the peloton so coach says to do this; if you want to belong . mmm mmm mmm . Where have i heard this before .:cool:

You're Canadian so I would guess you would know the Queen's English? If possible quote your favorite politician correctly as it will dramatically increase the impact of your statement; not necessarily in the intellectual direction you had hoped for but possibly with more clarification. I used lots of syllables there; but the point is...you have no point.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
oh wow , its a privilege to drive , its a privilege to own a house ,its a privilege to have a job , its a privilege to pay tax , its a privilege to live here , its a privilege to be a pro athlete and become privileged to be a human guinea pig . mmmm mmmm i guess the needs of the many out way the needs of the few . You are privileged to ride at the front of the peloton so coach says to do this; if you want to belong . mmm mmm mmm . Where have i heard this before .:cool:

By the way...that humming mmmmm noise in your head, not a good sign. You should have that checked.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
[

Oh... I get it! 28 whole days on the forum, and still trying to figure out how to be relevant without looking like a Tool. Don't worry you get the hang of it... or not.

well i am not the one doing dope as a veteran . :cool: the tools are the dopers . :cool:

stainlessguy1 said:
...and become privileged to be a human guinea pig ....so coach says to do this; if you want to belong...

I disagree with the quotes above. If it seems like I was allowing for it, then it was poorly written or a misunderstanding. If a condition of being a Pro athlete is to do the above, (UCI, I'm looking at you) then that's no profession. Lots of riders have said 'no.' We don't know who many of them are because they don't become peloton super-heroes.

As for the other things, yes a house, car and other trappings of Western life are privileges. Go volunteer at a homeless shelter or perhaps a pediatric oncology ward for a few months and get back to me.

TRENDING THREADS