• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Need a 10 speed rear derailleur for Ultegra 6700

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Sorry as I assume this question has been asked a 100 times but searching has given me conflicting info and more confusion. I want to replace my rear derailleur as mentioned, on a 6700 53-38 (25 rear) drivetrain. Just want to confirm that no 11 speed will work because of the different amount of cable-pull the derailleur employs vs. the amount the shifter tells it to.

If that's correct, what's the most modern version of the 10 speed rear derailleur I should expect to find at retail?

Thanks very much in advance!

It's the shifters that determine cable pull. The derailleur determines shift ratio (the amount it moves sideways compared to cable pull)

Any Shimano 10 sd road mech will work (except Tiagra 4700). You'll just have to hunt around for something.

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
It's the shifters that determine cable pull. The derailleur determines shift ratio (the amount it moves sideways compared to cable pull)

Any Shimano 10 sd road mech will work (except Tiagra 4700). You'll just have to hunt around for something.

Yes, I worded that wrong but I understand the mechanics. So I assume a 6700 is the latest Ultegra 10-speed before the 11 speeds came into fashion? I hate putting on gear where there's leaps forward in tech available, but switching to an 11-speed is a huge can-of-worms. Thanks for the response!

I'm still running 6700 on my road bike (with a 6800 crank (and an R8000 power meter actually)). I won't be swapping until I absolutely have to.

11 speed isn't really a can of worms. You essentially just have to swap the "rear" parts and chain, so cassette, RD and rear shifter. An 11 speed chain will run fine with a 10 speed crank and 10 speed FD.

Assuming the wheel will take an 11-speed cassette.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirthx