• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Negative Effects of EPO

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I understand why EPO is wrong and sports and why the drug has such a negative vibe in American society. Athletes need to be athletes and not lab generated super humans. However, me and my buddy were watching a baseball game last night and having a few drinks and we began discussing drugs in sports in the United States, basically how much more exciting MLB baseball was during the steroid era. The question came up about EPO, which was does the drug have the ability to do serious damage to your body? Neither of us really had any idea because it is something that you hear about but do not really know what it does to a body. I remember seeing a doctor on 60 Minutes talking about how beneficial human growth hormone can be to the human body when administered correctly. I did a quick internet search this morning and could not really find out any major negative side effects if EPO is administered correctly. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction of the negative effects that this drug (and also human growth hormone if you guys want to go there) can have on the health of a human being?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I understand why EPO is wrong and sports and why the drug has such a negative vibe in American society. Athletes need to be athletes and not lab generated super humans. However, me and my buddy were watching a baseball game last night and having a few drinks and we began discussing drugs in sports in the United States, basically how much more exciting MLB baseball was during the steroid era. The question came up about EPO, which was does the drug have the ability to do serious damage to your body? Neither of us really had any idea because it is something that you hear about but do not really know what it does to a body. I remember seeing a doctor on 60 Minutes talking about how beneficial human growth hormone can be to the human body when administered correctly. I did a quick internet search this morning and could not really find out any major negative side effects if EPO is administered correctly. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction of the negative effects that this drug (and also human growth hormone if you guys want to go there) can have on the health of a human being?

Hi Clem, you wrote this yesderday....
Clemson Cycling said:
All of this has had such a little effect on young athletes by the way. I coach high school sports and I will be the first to tell you that if kids can get their hands on it they are going to take it. Not to mention the fact that most of this stuff banned by the UCI can be bought at Wal Mart or GNC.
Why not just ask some of the kids you coach? They seem clued in.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:

Not unless you consider dying in your sleep to be "serious damage."

Case closed, and the thread should be also.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
if used properly, EPO or steroids aren't "that" bad, right?

bad is living in your catch with 40% fat. or smoke/drink a lot. that's bad.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
function said:
You can also die from drinking too much water, everything in moderation...

http://cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/2/1/151.long

It's fair to ask, assuming proper administration, what are the negative side effects?

No, this isn't Maximum Muscle Forums or anything like that. If you want to know how to dope properly, there are plenty of places that you can get that information. This is a cycling forum, and The Clinic part of that forum about discussing doping and the negative effects it has on our sport. If you want to know more about the topic, you could also message Lance. I'm sure he can tell you anything you want to know on this subject.

Thanks for playing.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
Thicker blood = increased chance of heart attacks and strokes

thicker blood (not that much, it's up to you) + no cigars + no alcohol + healthy routine and body + happiness >>>> fat, drunk, stupid.

From an evolutionary point of view it's easy to conclude that it's not beneficial to have such thick blood. But I guess such well trained athletes with strong hearts are better equipped to handle it than most people.

Clemson Cycling said:

I dunno.

Why don't you ask Filipe Casado?

Oh, yeah. He's dead.

Dave.

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
No, this isn't Maximum Muscle Forums or anything like that. If you want to know how to dope properly, there are plenty of places that you can get that information. This is a cycling forum, and The Clinic part of that forum about discussing doping and the negative effects it has on our sport. If you want to know more about the topic, you could also message Lance. I'm sure he can tell you anything you want to know on this subject.

Thanks for playing.

Settle down, I'm not sure who annoyed you, but the question has nothing to do with how to dope or administer EPO, it was about side effects.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
Thicker blood = increased chance of heart attacks and strokes

Long term affect of overdemand on major organs is always an issue. Once your liver is gone you better have enough dough to get a new one.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Death is probably the harshest side effect of epo, just one of those little side effects you get if you dont get up at three in the morning to exercise so your blood doesnt turn to a thick syrup and clog up your heart so you cant breath.

This leads to probably the worst side effect after death, lack of sleep from having to get up all the time to exercise, I just dont know how they do it.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
function said:
Settle down, I'm not sure who annoyed you, but the question has nothing to do with how to dope or administer EPO, it was about side effects.

It was the comparison of someone injecting synthetic doping products in their veins to drinking too much water that I found a bit off base...:rolleyes:

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
It was the comparison of someone injecting synthetic doping products in their veins to drinking too much water that I found a bit off base...:rolleyes:

The side effect of drinking too much water is also death, that was my point. The OP wasn't asking for a moral stance of ingesting pharmaceuticals, just the physiological side effects. Emphasis physiological, not moral.

TRENDING THREADS