• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Never seevpros using rollers to warm up in the tours ?

why don't the pros use rollers for their warm ups for ITT and TTT's of the grand tours ? I always see them stationary trainers ? (ie Tacx Satori, Bushido , LeMond fitness, CycleOps)

I never understood why ? I ask because I recently had a chance to ride e-motion rollers last week and it was probably the most amazing indoor ride ever.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Unsafe when you're warming up with a team around you, or even just a couple guys or gals. Could you imagine how funny it would be to see an entire team warming up on rollers for a ITT or TTT, one falls off and they all go down like dominoes? It just takes too much concentration to stay upright, and there's a lot going on under those tents. But, individually for the home, roller training cannot be beat, it's the best.

The only place you ever see rollers en masse is for track racing.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The only place you ever see rollers en masse is for track racing.

And why is that? I rode a track bike on rollers a few times and it was actually kind of fun with the fixed gear, but is there something beyond that?

Rollers don't allow enough resistance to properly warm up. At NZ TT Champs one of my guys brought rollers and was spinning out at 200 watts. In his race he averaged 303 watts and said he felt he was still warming up on the way out to the turn.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
bc_hills said:
And why is that? I rode a track bike on rollers a few times and it was actually kind of fun with the fixed gear, but is there something beyond that?

1) track meet usually have multiple events, it's a pain to swap wheels if you just want a spin. The alternative is to have a roadie to use for warm-up/cool down but the pits get crowded.

2) there is usually a fence or barrier to lean against (stopping the above mentioned domino effect).

3) spinning away with no hands on the bars psyschs out your opposition. Especially with eyes closed, iPod in ear whilst singing "Killing in the Name of".

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
CoachFergie said:
Rollers don't allow enough resistance to properly warm up. At NZ TT Champs one of my guys brought rollers and was spinning out at 200 watts. In his race he averaged 303 watts and said he felt he was still warming up on the way out to the turn.

yet another generalization

please

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
CoachFergie said:

...that is just hearsay...means absolutely nothing...will wait until the peer reviewed article is published...until then please don't waste bandwidth and our precious time...

Cheers

blutto

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, nothing else to just speculation and personal anecdote. There is no real evidence or study to support fargo claims, phooey:D (is that right term first time I use it )?