New Astana boss named, hates Armstrong

Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Today Astana named Giuseppe Martinelli its general manager.

This guy managed Pantani and has a lingering dislikes for Bryuneel and Armstrong. The rumor is he’s bringing several powerful Italian climbers to help Contador.

con%20MARCO.jpg
 
Should be an interesting situation if this is how it all ends up. My first though goes straight to the Tour TTT if there is one. If it's true that Contador will end up with lots of italian claimbers then the question is how good their TTT would be. Already here we have a situation that may prove to turn into a crucial moment and could make the Tour a closeish race next year perhaps.

I'm sure Armstrong will be lobbying ASO for a long TTT in the Tour at least.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
To bad Alberto

Unfortunate for Contador to have coach Martineli. Was he coaching the pirate when he went into his tailspin?
 
Still can't believe Contador can't get out of, or no one else will buy him out of, his contract. Peculiar that Astana went from not being able to pay their riders, to now having enough money to buy whomever they want.

ingsve said:
I'm sure Armstrong will be lobbying ASO for a long TTT in the Tour at least.
Though no one knows for sure, there are rumors that he has been doing just that. May be nonsense, but it sure seems logical with this being his best bet at placing high, and with his connections being second to none.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
flicker said:
Unfortunate for Contador to have coach Martineli. Was he coaching the pirate when he went into his tailspin?
I think they both were with Mercantone then, was it 1999?

Though no one knows for sure, there are rumors that he has been doing just that. May be nonsense, but it sure seems logical with this being his best bet at placing high, and with his connections being second to none.
You speaketh da truth. Alp. Lance owned Verbruggen.

Martinelli tho is a choice UCI may reject for the same reasons. Then Astana will lose PT license and Contador may fly free. UCI wanted Rini Wagtmans but KCF and Vinokourov did not agree.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Still can't believe Contador can't get out of, or no one else will buy him out of, his contract. Peculiar that Astana went from not being able to pay their riders, to now having enough money to buy whomever they want.


Though no one knows for sure, there are rumors that he has been doing just that. May be nonsense, but it sure seems logical with this being his best bet at placing high, and with his connections being second to none.

Yet whenever there's a wiff of scandal, the fanboy's will cry; "the hateful French are out to get him," conspiracy trollocks.

Martinelli? Yes, I'd say his reputation was on a par with Bruyneel, yet the UCI give him the thumbs down.
Have the Kazakh fed got a big enough brown envelope?
Perhaps they could send Kash round as the two-wheeled delivery courier.:rolleyes:
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
More importantly, who are these "Powerful Italian climbers"? Generally if you want climbing domestiques, you go Spanish.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
gibo is too old to be any help. And I believe this year's giro was his last GT. As for cunego he recently signed an extension on his contract. So those two are no good. I don't see many avilable-italian-strong climbers ready to join astana.
 
Mar 10, 2009
207
0
0
craig1985 said:
More importantly, who are these "Powerful Italian climbers"? Generally if you want climbing domestiques, you go Spanish.

I can think of three who will become available in 2010...
 
movingtarget said:
Another PR coup from Astana. Let's sign a Pantani apologist. Pantani was a cheat who could go fast uphill and he was banned more than once. As for great Italian climbers, did not see many this year.

Ummmm, care to name when these multiple bans occurred?
Bluebeard said:
I can think of three who will become available in 2010...


Italian climbers who are available. No idea.
Guessing Caruso, Scarponi,......erm.....Sella?
Should go down well with the UCI.:eek:
 
Mar 10, 2009
207
0
0
rolfrae said:
Go one better and name them. :D

Three powerful Italian climbers who will become available in 2010? Simple:

Ricardo Ricco - available from March 17th.
Emanuele Sella - although Wiki suggest he is signed to CarmioOro A-Style this seaon.
Leonard Piepoli - uncertain of date, and before anyone says he is retired, we know what happens when certain riders retire after doping allegations and convictions...
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Any one of those would automatically mean no Tour tickets .

There gotta be something else or the KCF gave up on keeping Contador with the new manager?

Wagmants boasted last week - before he got the boot - that "new" Astana will be stronger than before.
 
Mar 10, 2009
350
0
0
Bluebeard said:
Three powerful Italian climbers who will become available in 2010? Simple:

Ricardo Ricco - available from March 17th.
Emanuele Sella - although Wiki suggest he is signed to CarmioOro A-Style this seaon.
Leonard Piepoli - uncertain of date, and before anyone says he is retired, we know what happens when certain riders retire after doping allegations and convictions...

The unholy trinity!
 
Aug 4, 2009
177
0
0
python said:
Today Astana named Giuseppe Martinelli its general manager. This guy managed Pantani and has a lingering dislikes for Bryuneel and Armstrong. The rumor is he’s bringing several powerful Italian climbers to help Contador.
pfft...your post="the" rumor? Guess the best way to fuel this gossip column is to type "hates armstrong" into the thread title too, eh?
 
Mar 19, 2009
34
0
0
movingtarget said:
Another PR coup from Astana. Let's sign a Pantani apologist. Pantani was a cheat who could go fast uphill and he was banned more than once. As for great Italian climbers, did not see many this year.
What happened to "innocent untill proven guilty" or does this rule only apply to some riders?

Astana is a Tour team and if there's no Tour for them in 2010 what else there is for them? Would Tour loose some of the magic in the eyes of Tour fans if Lance would be racing for the victory with no real competition?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Unless some miracle happens does anyone really think Astana will have a Pro Tour license next year? I think The Shack will be taking that license from them...
 
Jun 19, 2009
36
0
0
Though no one knows for sure, there are rumors that he has been doing just that. May be nonsense, but it sure seems logical with this being his best bet at placing high, and with his connections being second to none.[/QUOTE]

Last I heard, ASO hates LA. Why would they listen to him?
 
Mar 19, 2009
34
0
0
sgreene said:
Though no one knows for sure, there are rumors that he has been doing just that. May be nonsense, but it sure seems logical with this being his best bet at placing high, and with his connections being second to none.

Last I heard, ASO hates LA. Why would they listen to him?
money.jpg
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
sgreene said:
Last I heard, ASO hates LA. Why would they listen to him?

That was a few years ago. They fired Clerc for questioning the myth and now are embracing the money machine.
 
May 7, 2009
88
0
0
Doesn't matter who the boss is as long as Vino is there.

That team is a mess. Anybody walking into the minefield is either naive or over-estimating their own abilities. Vino is the real boss and that makes the job impossible. Italian climbers? Unless he's digging up Pantani, good luck with that.
Twisted Spoke http://walshworld.wordpress.com/
 
sgreene said:
Last I heard, ASO hates LA. Why would they listen to him?

Correlation does not always mean causation but Armtrong wins the tour in 1999 then there are 6 years in a row with TTTs. Then Armstrong quits and there are no TTTs for 3 years and then Armstrong comes back and Boom...TTT is back in the Tour. Coincidence? Perhaps, but not very likely...
 
Mar 10, 2009
286
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
Ummmm, care to name when these multiple bans occurred?



They occured the same year the Lance tested positive...which was never...guess you can be called a Pantani "fan-boy" since you like to use that term for anyone who goes by the facts with Lance.