• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New bike sponsor for Team Astana 2010?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
FFWally said:
How does a Colnago or Pinarello make up the money lost on 2 pro tour teams.

They don't. The reason that Colnago pulled out of Pro Tour sponsorship was that they not only have to provide free bikes but the teams expect to be paid advertising revenue. According to Colnago, they don't need advertise through the Pro Tour to sell bikes. They have maintained their relationship with Lanbouwcredit [sic. sorry] since this goes back for donkey's years apparently.

Heaven only knows how much Specialized are shelling out!?!?!?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
this is a complete guess, but when vino rode for telekom/t-mobile he rode giant. i know they've already got rabobank, but they've shown the ability to accommodate more than one team... didn't they have columbia and rabo last year?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget the sponsors who provide stuff to go with the frames: wheels, gears, saddles, bars, etc, and clothing/helmets. Then auto makers provide some teams with cars.

A Shimao rep told me they make more money selling fishing gear than bike gear.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
They are going to get Kazakhstan's number one bicycle manufacturer, Altynai's Bicycle Making Super Donkey,(something must get lost in the translation) on board.

Here is their top model
FBBRRDKFJD52BEP.MEDIUM.jpg

Pretty sweet.

the guy has a bike lock for this POS?

ilillillli said:
this is a complete guess, but when vino rode for telekom/t-mobile he rode giant. i know they've already got rabobank, but they've shown the ability to accommodate more than one team... didn't they have columbia and rabo last year?

Only Columbia was on Giants last year; Rabo was still rockin Colnago.

I hope a new-ish sponsor picks up Astana. I've enjoyed seeing some different names in the peloton like Focus, Kuota, and Canyon. (And still holding out hope for Fondriest!)

May 11, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
They don't. The reason that Colnago pulled out of Pro Tour sponsorship was that they not only have to provide free bikes but the teams expect to be paid advertising revenue. According to Colnago, they don't need advertise through the Pro Tour to sell bikes. They have maintained their relationship with Lanbouwcredit [sic. sorry] since this goes back for donkey's years apparently.

Heaven only knows how much Specialized are shelling out!?!?!?

According to what I've read, Specialized are paying Saxo Bank 20-30 mio DKK. That is approx. 4-6 mio dollars. And of course a lot of bikes also.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
According to what I've read, Specialized are paying Saxo Bank 20-30 mio DKK. That is approx. 4-6 mio dollars. And of course a lot of bikes also.

Exactly why small companies like Ciöcc and others can not afford it. I would be shocked if they make €4-6 million profit a year.

TRENDING THREADS