• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Bike

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning to buy my first bike and I need some help. I started riding last summer on a Miyata 710 i bought from a friend for $35. I have around 1500 dollars to spend, I'm thinking Trek as of now. So I just need some ideas and/or direction for my first purchase.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
One strategy would be to size the bike. Then buy it off eBay. Sizing hte bike could involve a trip to the local bike shop. If so, then I'd suggest you have them service the bike, on a routine basis, in order to support them.

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
First decide what you wish to do on the bike whether it is racing or sportives or a mixing of on or off road. then visit a number of bike stores and ask advice for the most suitable steed. Don't get caught up with trying to buy a bike to suit every type of riding or what appears to be a cheap bargain. The bargains are cheap for a reason nobody else wants it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
deadly wombat said:
First decide what you wish to do on the bike whether it is racing or sportives or a mixing of on or off road. then visit a number of bike stores and ask advice for the most suitable steed. Don't get caught up with trying to buy a bike to suit every type of riding or what appears to be a cheap bargain. The bargains are cheap for a reason nobody else wants it.
+1
The first question is what purpose the bike will be used. Racing or leisure/sportives.

I will quote Keith Bontrager: "Strong. Light. Cheap. Pick two."

You mentioned Trek - yip, solid bike - but my view is that there is very little difference between bike brands made of the same materials. So the key is to get a frame that you are comfortable on and that you like.
It is easier (and cheaper) to upgrade the components or wheels as time passes.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
it really comes down to oppinion on these kind of things but i would suggest either specialized cervelo or scott all make nice bikes bang for your buck i would go with specialized maybe a higher end allez or lower end tarmac/roubaix

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
it really comes down to oppinion on these kind of things but i would suggest either specialized cervelo or scott all make nice bikes bang for your buck i would go with specialized maybe a higher end allez or lower end tarmac/roubaix

Once you've found a bike which fits, buy the best frame and fork combination that you can afford for your projected needs and upgrade the components as they wear out.

RTMcFadden said:
One strategy would be to size the bike. Then buy it off eBay. Sizing hte bike could involve a trip to the local bike shop. If so, then I'd suggest you have them service the bike, on a routine basis, in order to support them.

Oh great idea. The "local bike shop" (and especially the owner who pays to train his guys to have the expertise) love it when you pop in, steal their knowledge and then go spend your money somewhere else. Hopefully the local bike shop will be able to stay in business long enough for you guys to be able to take advantage of them.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Oh great idea. The "local bike shop" (and especially the owner who pays to train his guys to have the expertise) love it when you pop in, steal their knowledge and then go spend your money somewhere else. Hopefully the local bike shop will be able to stay in business long enough for you guys to be able to take advantage of them.

edwin is thinking Trek, so maybe his local bike shop is Rubberjohnnies?

A

Anonymous

A mid to late 90's 56cm Ibis Ti road bike with very few miles, and Dura-ace 9 speed just sold on ebay for just over $500.(I just don't have it right now, or it would be on the way to my house...I am actually SICK about it, but the IRS may want some money this year, so had to let it go) Sorry, but whatever your needs, you can't beat a deal like that. You just have to look. To go out and plop down $1500 on a Trek of all things is just throwing your money away. $1500 will find you a sweet deal if you look.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
We really need more info. It has been asked so doesn't bear repeating. How are you going to use it. It's different if you want to race or may just want to ride comfortably and maybe commute once in a while.

I WOULD not buy my 1st bike from ebay or online. I am tempted to say Neuvation, but how is he gonna handle it if it doesn't fit? Fit is a huge issue for newcomers to cycling and an ill-fitting bike will drive you away from cycling quickly. (Neuvations are basically knocked off Cervelo soloists by an online brand that is reputed to be a great cust svc e-tailer.) See interview with John Neugent at testrider.com

I consider $1500 for a road bike alone to be a sort of no-man's land price point. That's just me, though. There are a zillion little accessories you are going to want/need so I would go entry level or maybe entry level with some better components like 105. You can prolly get a decent aluminum frame from an lbs with 105 for around $1200, especially this time of year. Or you can go down to sora components for about $600-800 on entry level and spend the difference on all the accessories with some (a little) left over. Shoes, pedals, bibs, replacement saddle, computer, seat bag, blinkie, bottle cages, frame pump/co2, light. The siht adds up quick.

I think this time of year you may be able to beat someone down (sorry shop owners) to about $1100 for alum frame with complete shimano 105 and maybe pedals, cage/bottle and a cheap computer. The important part is to know what and how they are going to do to make sure the damn thing fits you correctly. Otherwise they could give it to you for nothing and it still would be a waste. I'd shop now before it warms up and he isn't willing to deal.

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:

I worked in a bike shop, and understand and believe in what you are saying. The problem I have right now is that I really can't afford a bike shop anymore, and have to be frugal. Sorry dude, didn't mean to run any business away from you...

Thoughtforfood said:
I worked in a bike shop, and understand and believe in what you are saying. The problem I have right now is that I really can't afford a bike shop anymore, and have to be frugal. Sorry dude, didn't mean to run any business away from you...

That is a not uncommon problem these days judging from how sales are trending. I have no problem with e-bay or anyone who buys there, it was only the advice to go to the bike shop for sizing before buying on evilbay that I object to.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
That is a not uncommon problem these days judging from how sales are trending. I have no problem with e-bay or anyone who buys there, it was only the advice to go to the bike shop for sizing before buying on evilbay that I object to.

I admit - I too do a lot of online shopping but mainly as my LBS does not really cater for racing bikes.

However - for someone new to the sport I would definatley recommend going to the local bike shops for your first bike. Sizing and the correct fit are very important advice - but make sure to get value for money!

There is nothing wrong with a Trek - however, as has been pointed out there are some other bikes that you would get more bang for your buck!
I know I mentioned it earlier - make sure the bike is comfortable for its purpose.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
I admit - I too do a lot of online shopping but mainly as my LBS does not really cater for racing bikes.

However - for someone new to the sport I would definatley recommend going to the local bike shops for your first bike. Sizing and the correct fit are very important advice - but make sure to get value for money!

There is nothing wrong with a Trek - however, as has been pointed out there are some other bikes that you would get more bang for your buck!
I know I mentioned it earlier - make sure the bike is comfortable for its purpose.

I don't get the trek bashing. A co-worker got a nice trk that fit his 6' 5" frame well with 105 for much less than the op's pricepoint. It looked sort of like an aluminum madone. If he tries 5 or 6 bikes and the trek fits best, then get it.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:
Are the non-OCLV Treks still made by Giant? Perhaps a Giant will provide more bang for our buck?

That's why you gotta go to the local shops. I have never ridden a giant that felt right. But then again, I have never seen anyone who has my build.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
We really need more info. It has been asked so doesn't bear repeating. How are you going to use it. It's different if you want to race or may just want to ride comfortably and maybe commute once in a while.

I WOULD not buy my 1st bike from ebay or online. I am tempted to say Neuvation, but how is he gonna handle it if it doesn't fit? Fit is a huge issue for newcomers to cycling and an ill-fitting bike will drive you away from cycling quickly. (Neuvations are basically knocked off Cervelo soloists by an online brand that is reputed to be a great cust svc e-tailer.) See interview with John Neugent at testrider.com

I consider $1500 for a road bike alone to be a sort of no-man's land price point. That's just me, though. There are a zillion little accessories you are going to want/need so I would go entry level or maybe entry level with some better components like 105. You can prolly get a decent aluminum frame from an lbs with 105 for around $1200, especially this time of year. Or you can go down to sora components for about $600-800 on entry level and spend the difference on all the accessories with some (a little) left over. Shoes, pedals, bibs, replacement saddle, computer, seat bag, blinkie, bottle cages, frame pump/co2, light. The siht adds up quick.

I think this time of year you may be able to beat someone down (sorry shop owners) to about $1100 for alum frame with complete shimano 105 and maybe pedals, cage/bottle and a cheap computer. The important part is to know what and how they are going to do to make sure the damn thing fits you correctly. Otherwise they could give it to you for nothing and it still would be a waste. I'd shop now before it warms up and he isn't willing to deal.

I picked up my trek 5200/ultegra 3 years ago for $1400. Check craig's list. Can find some good deals.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If you are not to experienced go to a couple bike shops and try different brands. I myself like Bianchi but mine broke. I would buy another but I ended up with a TREK because I trusted the brand and it was US made.

Listen to main man Greg LeMond. Fit, geometry. That means fit how you stand over the top tube. top tube length reach! Where you sit to have the sweet spot in the revolution of the pedal where you sit over bottom bracket.
Next geometry you most likely want 73 degree angles not to short a wheelbase not to long.

There are many other facets most important you need good wheels. Components by what feels good to you and what you can afford.

Material of bike is secondary of course buy the best you can afford but no shortcuts. Meaning do not buy that no name good deal from red china on ebay. Buy bikes on ebay only if you are experienced.

Of course fine bikes are made in Taiwan as well as Italy. I would say if it were me and I tried a few different brands go to a bike shop buy a bike and have fun! You will know which bike to buy. The bike will talk to you.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ravens said:
That's why you gotta go to the local shops. I have never ridden a giant that felt right. But then again, I have never seen anyone who has my build.

Aren't treks (at least the older carbon and madones) known for a longer top tube?

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
I started cycling in the middle of last summer so I don't have a lot of ride time under my belt so far. I'm just looking for a solid Road bike to pack on the miles and ride with my local club, nothing intense just something solid that gets me on the open road.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
How about Carboncrank?

He is more height weight proportionate than I am. I am built like an NFL fullback. I may be good for 3rd and short yardage, but watching me cycling is like watching a very large round peg trying to fit into a very small square hole. He also appears to have 15 years on me, easily.

You all pick on him for being fat (as well as being completely nutz), but I was almost that thin about a year and a half ago. Then my world fell into a hole.

As for geometries, I suppose you can go on the various sites and find geometries for each bike. I wouldn't buy a used bike for my first bike. If I was looking for a particular frame, I might consider that, but prolly not on craigslist. My expectation for something that isn't defective there is very very low.

Edwin, start going to shops and getting extended rides in on their bikes to get an idea of what feels best. In addition to the bike, you are also buying the shop, so if the guy is a raving d-bag like Hugh :)D kidding), then do you really want to keep going back to have to deal with him if, for instance, the stem isn't good for you or if the saddle feels like it's trying to sodomize you? Or if they seem like they are working on the sale more than they really care about your needs (which pretty much describes my local Giant dealer, but that's another story - and for the record, I don't ride an american brand or have any affiliation to a shop other than as a customer.)

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
If you have a local Connondale dealer, also try out a CAAD9. They are a bang-for-the-buck machine suitable to start racing. Probably have a few bucks left over for clipless pedals and shoes.

ravens said:

ravens approach to me summarized what you should consider prior to your bike purchase-I'd add only that you might want to save more money so you can get a very good frame that is going to last for at least 10-15 years and build the rest of the bike with reasonable components which you could upgrade afterwards

TRENDING THREADS