• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New doping case in france linking guimard

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Not exactly. Mickael Larpe was questioned as he is suspected of being a part of the drug trafficking ring.

He rode for Guimard's team. That's the only connection.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
What I mean is that Guimard's not involved, unlike the topic title :)

the topic title included more than just guimard. i for example find the most interesting that the uci-afld sick dynamics is also involved here because the afld carried out positive epo tests in the uci sponsored event (apparently - from my limited understanding)

python said:
the topic title included more than just guimard. i for example find the most interesting that the uci-afld sick dynamics is also involved here because the afld carried out positive epo tests in the uci sponsored event (apparently - from my limited understanding)

There are a number of key issues here.

First, it is an operation led by the OCLAESP concerning possible trafficing, which is the same police group that is leading the investigation into the Landis/Baker hacking incident. It appears that this investigation is using inside information combined with the EPO positives obtained by the AFLD from the Cholet-Pays de Loire race in March.

What is interesting is that ALFD conducted testing for a UCI sanctioned race, where apparently the UCI had not planned to do any testing. The head of the French Cycling Federation was upset at this testing, which he called illegal. Does he prefer that doping remain confidential?

The OCLAESP investigation and the AFLD testing are separate, however it appears they are both using the same insider information.

Finally, the team manager is Guimard, not good news for him. Given that is appears numerous members of the team are involved it will be difficult for him to avoid direct implication.

Altogether a big mess, yet another one. Those who think cycling is cleaned up have to think again.

link to l'Equipe story:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2010/20100504_124314_larpe-en-garde-a-vue.html

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This has the potential to be a HUGE bust.
Watergate Break-in type of bust. Festina 1998 type of bust.

Cyrille Guimard is THE Legendary DS of van Impe, Hinault, Laurent Fignon, Greg LeMond, Charly Mottet, Marc Madiot. His Pro Teams have won seven Tours de France.

Guimard's development team, Vélo Club Roubaixment team, is among the BEST development teams on the planet. Kind of like a Trek-Livestrong Team on steroids!

This is a huge bust. This may be the FIRST amateur team bust to make it on to the WIKI Dopers in Cycling pages. Unless Levi beats them to it of course.

And this bust will also be a big shot in the arm for the AFLD as it fights for more Government funding.

But most of all - I see this bust as a brilliant move by Captian Bordry as he chases his biggest prize of all - you know who, wink wink.

When Lance is inevitably taken in by the French Gendarmes in the Needlegate scandal, Bordry can now point to this attack on the Foundation of French Cycling. Lance will NOT be able to claim Anti-Americanism.

Lance will need to re-think his next move.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
I call BS, must be a Dutch/Belgian/Italian/Spanish conspiracy to get back at the French.

The French don't dope. We are reminded of this every time we see the results of a race.

Yeah, only the stray Slovenian mercenary....

Polish said:
But most of all - I see this bust as a brilliant move by Captian Bordry as he chases his biggest prize of all - you know who, wink wink.

When Lance is inevitably taken in by the French Gendarmes in the Needlegate scandal, Bordry can now point to this attack on the Foundation of French Cycling. Lance will NOT be able to claim Anti-Americanism.

Wonder if Lance going back to the US and bailing on Circuit de la Sarthe had more to do with getting out of France, where he has a house, than not racing against Contador or what ever the reason was for him suddenly changing his schedule.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
This has the potential to be a HUGE bust.

This is a huge bust. This may be the FIRST amateur team bust to make it on to the WIKI Dopers in Cycling pages. Unless Levi beats them to it of course.

And this bust will also be a big shot in the arm for the AFLD as it fights for more Government funding.

If they get funding and the opportunity to get at the blood of the Texan. As for LA's training choices this undercurrent certainly would give him pause as to where he races.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bicicleta said:
Wonder if Lance going back to the US and bailing on Circuit de la Sarthe had more to do with getting out of France, where he has a house, than not racing against Contador or what ever the reason was for him suddenly changing his schedule.

Better food....I believe that was the main reason Lance went back to Texas.

But back on topic...here is the profile of the Doper/Dealer:

http://asso.nordnet.fr/veloclubroubaix/larpe.html

A Frenchman on EPO! Now THAT sure takes me back. "In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey, butane in my veins and I’m out to cut the junkie with the plastic eyeballs, spray-paint the vegetables, dog food stalls with the beefcake pantyhose . . ."

I'm old.

Oldman said:
If they get funding and the opportunity to get at the blood of the Texan. As for LA's training choices this undercurrent certainly would give him pause as to where he races.

The best way to get funding is to prove to the people that the agency is needed. What is a better way to do that than a high profile bust?