• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New doping test for transfusions?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I heard mention of a new DNA based test for Blood transfusions.

Is this for autologous testing or only for finding another persons DNA in transfused blood? I am guessing only transfused from another donor?

A real subject for the clinic but I am sure someone will find a way to put a name to it :)

FitSsikS said:

Good to see research in this area, but they need to keep going.

"...the technology enables white cells to be inspected for different populations of genes and reveal if a second person’s cells are present. ..."

"...However, Christiane Ayotte, head of the anti-doping lab at the INRS-Institute Armand-Frappier in Laval, Que., said the DNA test would therefore not be very useful.

Ayotte, who works at Canada’s only lab accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency, said donor blood is typically transfused into athletes by mistake “by crooked doctors with fridges full of blood bags.”

She said the current technique has been well tested and accepted in court and there’s no reason to change to something else.

“We already have the equipment, it has standing in courts and it’s foolproof.” ...

Dave.

There's no DNA in red blood cells since they don't have a nucleus or mitochondria.

So if somehow they can remove all the white blood cells, there's no DNA to test. And you don't want other people's leukocytes in your blood anyway.