• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Forum! Feedback thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I usually just leave it checked. But I know I unchecked it at least once. I'll test it. I just logged in leaving it checked without any login issues.
Can't 100% sure, but my issues might have gone away via this too. I'm sure I've left it checked today (no issues) but I can't remember how it was yesterday. Fingers crossed this was the culprit for my login problems.
But I believe this is not how this function is intended to work so maybe devs might wanna look at it anyway ;)

The current system where clicking on Reply only keeps one quote level is much better in my opinion.

Strongly disagree: most threads end up becoming essentially a knot of minithreads (as this one has, not all the replies by any means are about the quoting function)

Consider message 132 in this thread:
You can think of it as a soft block list if you really want ;o).

Most readers will not have a clue what can be used as a soft block on the evidence of that quote. You would have to link from that to 131, to 124 before you see a quote from message 123 to find out that it is the user avatars to indicate thread creators in the thread index.

Not the most extreme example, just the nearest. But nested quotes (hopefully suitably edited) would remove all uncertainty about what message 132 meant.

I only have one very minor issue with the new forum:

It would be nice if the pages buttons were also present on the top of the page on the mobile version, so you don't have to scroll excessively.

Otherwise, I like it. Visually, it's much more pleasing in spite of the continued purpleness, especially on the mobile version.

The addition of the like buttons seems a bit like a gimmick and not absolutely necessary but I don't see it doing anything bad for the site either, and it's a bit fun.

But I must say it's a bit scandalous that the moderators can like their own posts, as is evident by the fact that Red Rick is second on the like scoreboard only trailing another admin :p

https://forum.cyclingnews.com/members/?key=highest_reaction_score
Yes, page bouttons near the top would be nice. It took a bit of time to get used to using it on the phone, but I don't have any real complains.
Not a fan of having likes, but as long as we don't get a stupid upvote/downvote system like Reddit I won't have any real problems with the forum.

Nesting multiple edited quotes was explained upthread for those who want to do it.
That post doesn't explain nesting at all.
It can be done, but you need to source each quote individually, then cut and paste them inside each other. (highlight and drag doesn't seem to work)

But very few contributors will bother doing so, and we will be left with quotes referring to quotes that are invisible to us. A way in which this seems inferior to what we had before.

But it seems to work, which is a major improvement.

• Sad
Reactions: fmk_RoI
And is there no way that the site admins can remove these pointless icons? It seems clear that those commenting here do not want them. Is there that little flexibility offered by the software to each site that uses it?

The algorithm that places a thread that has had no activity for more than two weeks at the top of the 'Trending' list seems rather flawed as well: is that within the compass of local tweaking of the options?

Last edited:
Reactions: SafeBet
And is there no way that the site admins can remove these pointless icons? It seems clear that those commenting here do not want them. Is there that little flexibility offered by the software to each site that uses it?

The algorithm that places a thread that has had no activity for more than two weeks at the top of the 'Trending' list seems rather flawed as well: is that within the compass of local tweaking of the options?
got rid of those pointless trophies via ublock. looks much better now. no wasted space under the short posts anymore.

At first sight (on a PC), it generally looks like a nice upgrade.

Some remarks:
  • You should really be able to go straight to the last post of a thread with one click like on the old forum.
  • Showing the avatar from the member who created the thread on the "main page" serves no purpose at all and is kind of annoying actually.
  • Trophies? Really? Also showing them in every post takes up way too much space.
Couldn't find the answer. Is there a way to set the last post first as it was possible before?

Couldn't find the answer. Is there a way to set the last post first as it was possible before?
PC, mobile or tablet?

If PC, and you're logged in, clicking the thread title should take you to the last read/first unread post, while clicking the the date/name of last poster on the right will take you to that last post. If you're not logged in, clicking the the date/name of last poster on the right will take you to that last post. If on a mobile, the date of the last post under the tread title will take you to the last post.

I have a question. If you have someone on ignore does the fact they posted even show to you? On the old system there was an option to read the post if you wanted to. On the new system either none of my ignores have posted or I'm not seeing that they did.

I have a question. If you have someone on ignore does the fact they posted even show to you? On the old system there was an option to read the post if you wanted to. On the new system either none of my ignores have posted or I'm not seeing that they did.
Just put you on ignore and it seems to be same as old system: you see something has been posted, have to click to reveal.

Reactions: SafeBet and Carols
PC, mobile or tablet?

If PC, and you're logged in, clicking the thread title should take you to the last read/first unread post, while clicking the the date/name of last poster on the right will take you to that last post. If you're not logged in, clicking the the date/name of last poster on the right will take you to that last post. If on a mobile, the date of the last post under the tread title will take you to the last post.
Thank you for replying.

It's a PC. I'm not sure if I was clear. I meant before when I used to click on the thread it'd take me to the last post (first page). I don't see a way to do this. Now I need to click the last page to see the last post. It used to be a setting to do this.

Hey, you guys - keep on topic, please!

Give the developers something to work with in case you can't post, reply, have other issues, and whatnot.

I am sure the developers will thank you in advance.

This.

I have no idea how this topic turned into a slanging match, but it stops now. Please keep this thread for feedback to the developers so any problems can be sorted quickly.

Thanks

Reactions: fmk_RoI and Carols
Regarding my issue with avatars in the thread list:
It seems that some of the old threads now include matching image when we open them (Pinot, Sagan, Ineos?) - is this up to thread creators to upload those, or some forum admins added them?
Moreover, for newly created threads, that image now displays instead of the avatar in the thread list (Tour of Utah), which I think is great. Is this how it will work going forward? Can those thread images be displayed instead of avatars even for old threads?

Only making the last quote visible is a good thing. On the old forum we often got to see the same text ten times, which could be annoying, especially when a big photo was included. You can easily go back to see where a string of quotes began.
My issue is not with only the last quote being visible with the new system, I like that. My issue is with imported nested quotes from the old forum not making even the last quote visible without expanding them all.

Only making the last quote visible is a good thing. On the old forum we often got to see the same text ten times, which could be annoying, especially when a big photo was included. You can easily go back to see where a string of quotes began.
As I have said above, I disagree, but I understand it. Too few contributors would take the time to edit the quoted material to what was relevant. Easily nested quotes, which should be an asset, became a drudge to sift through.

So we have a choice of quotes out of context, or unnecessary repetition. We could of course have quotes in context without repetition, in either this format or the previous one, but that requires doing something other than the easiest hit-the-button engagement of the contributor.

Nested quotes are still possible, but they are not easy to do, and I suspect we will see them very rarely, which I think is a loss.

Regarding my issue with avatars in the thread list:
It seems that some of the old threads now include matching image when we open them (Pinot, Sagan, Ineos?) - is this up to thread creators to upload those, or some forum admins added them?
Moreover, for newly created threads, that image now displays instead of the avatar in the thread list (Tour of Utah), which I think is great. Is this how it will work going forward? Can those thread images be displayed instead of avatars even for old threads?

When you click on a riders thread, we have added cover photos at the top, which I think is a good feature. We’ll try and make sure most are done for those threads regularly viewed.

In terms of the little avatars to the left of the list of threads, I think those are just the profile photos from the members who started said thread. Unless they actually put a photo up when starting the thread, like the Utah one.

Reactions: Red Rick and Carols

TRENDING THREADS