• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New German Team Alpecin Trek with Schlecks?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Meh I hope you're right but I think he will join the new Shrek team.

Asking alot €$ for a new team to afford Fab + Schlecks and then build decent support around them, would certainly need alot from Trek to make it happen (I'm presuming that Becca is not involved?).

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
as much as alpecin seems to be interested in sponsoring a strong squad, i doubt that they are willing to go all out and finance a schlecks + cance team, schlecks alone would already make a big splash.
i guess the schlecks also want the team to be build around/for them and as much as they like cances service, he would need his own group of domestiques.

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Asking alot €$ for a new team to afford Fab + Schlecks and then build decent support around them, would certainly need alot from Trek to make it happen (I'm presuming that Becca is not involved?).

Flavio Becca is the reason why RsNT can't pay it's bills on time. The financial issues already began on Leopard Trek where they ie. didn't pay for their brand new kitchen truck.
No it's best to stay clear of that guy, especially after the police last year ransacked his private home and offices. :(

138514157_crop_450x500.jpg

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
OctaBech said:
Flavio Becca is the reason why RsNT can't pay it's bills on time. The financial issues already began on Leopard Trek where they ie. didn't pay for their brand new kitchen truck.
No it's best to stay clear of that guy, especially after the police last year ransacked his private home and offices. :(

Precisely why I doubt ‘Alpecin Trek’ could afford such a team unless a third (and likely much bigger than Alpecin) sponsor is involved.

I imagine that Trek must be working pretty hard on this and no doubt they'd prefer to have a proven winner like Cancellara to go alongside the July hopefully Schleck brothers.

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
Precisely why I doubt ‘Alpecin Trek’ could afford such a team unless a third (and likely much bigger than Alpecin) sponsor is involved.

I imagine that Trek must be working pretty hard on this and no doubt they'd prefer to have a proven winner like Cancellara to go alongside the July hopefully Schleck brothers.

Good call, it makes sense that Trek will go for a team which can compete with Specialized in all the big races.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
So a german team with a german core.

Can we can treat the Schlecks as german? (Serious question, I always see Lux half french, half german)

Cancellara is the big doubt here, but I'm more inclined to think he will be back under Riis direction and Tinkov willingly hire the best helpers he needs.

Stay in RNT impossible.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Fabi is gonna join it too, never fear. For all those who dreamt to see him in saxo again, the last nail in the coffin of hope was hammered on saturday. :)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Fabi is gonna join it too, never fear. For all those who dreamt to see him in saxo again, the last nail in the coffin of hope was hammered on saturday. :)

yeah in your dreams mate.

However I can´t see Canc join Riis next season regardless what happens with RSNT, of the simple reason I can´t imagine he can afford him.

Fidolix said:
yeah in your dreams mate.

However I can´t see Canc join Riis next season regardless what happens with RSNT, of the simple reason I can´t imagine he can afford him.

I am a fan of Riis and his team, but I reallly don't care about Cancellara will return to Riis or not.

But: Oleg Tinkov has told Riis that he (Tinkov) would like to have Cancellara on Saxo Tinkoff. So maybe Tinkov will pay the extra money for Cancellara.
Tinkov also stated that he is a friend of Cancellara.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I think getting away from Brunyeel and Becca is the best option for the Schlecks. Obviously they trust Anderson so having him involved is good. Voigt and Gerdemann are good starts.

Obviously they'd love Cancellara to join them, but he has to do what's best for him. I can only see him going to Saxo or staying with the Schlecks, as either would give him a sense of familiarity. However, he is so dominant he could just be a team by himself. :p

Interested to see how this unfolds.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
jobiwan said:
I think getting away from Brunyeel and Becca is the best option for the Schlecks. Obviously they trust Anderson so having him involved is good. Voigt and Gerdemann are good starts.

Obviously they'd love Cancellara to join them, but he has to do what's best for him. I can only see him going to Saxo or staying with the Schlecks, as either would give him a sense of familiarity. However, he is so dominant he could just be a team by himself. :p

Interested to see how this unfolds.

If there's a new team I think it will be around Schleck bros and their GC hopes.

After two empty seasons on cobbles I have doubts about Cancellara staying with them. Probably the last move from Becca to merge with Bruyneel wasn't what he expected when left Riis.

There are many germans and austrian riders at RSNT, I'm sure they will go to the new team

theyoungest said:
It's not like Vacansoleil is a huge company. Cycling sponsorship is relatively cheap, certainly for the huge exposure you get in the month of July.

I can't imagine Footon was a specifically large company either. In fact it's pretty rare that any really huge internationally known companies sponsor cycling teams.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
ingsve said:
I can't imagine Footon was a specifically large company either. In fact it's pretty rare that any really huge internationally known companies sponsor cycling teams.

Yes, but Alpecin is really, really small, and as far as I know, is selling only in Germany, or almost only in Germany.

TRENDING THREADS