• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New German Team Alpecin Trek with Schlecks?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
ingsve said:
I can't imagine Footon was a specifically large company either. In fact it's pretty rare that any really huge internationally known companies sponsor cycling teams.

I can picture it now:

Team Walmart!

If they did set up this team they should get other German riders like Gretsch, Martin, Ciolek and Wegmann.

I don't think this is good for Andy. He is not winning the TDF this year and if he goes to a new team ( again ) he might not. That would be 4 years since his 2nd placing in 09 that he has not won the TDF. If only he had stayed with Bjarne.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
First Saxo, then Leopard => RSNT, now this.

Piece of advice: The Schlecks better have some stability if they want to win anything.

Wouldn't hurt to try to get along with your boss for a change.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
First Saxo, then Leopard => RSNT, now this.

Piece of advice: The Schlecks better have some stability if they want to win anything.

Wouldn't hurt to try to get along with your boss for a change.

Agree, the most successful riders are not the ones that are constantly moving to new teams. Look at Cavendish, on the same team from 2006-2011 and only left because the team disbanded. Or Tom Boonen, on the same team since 2003. The Schlecks should either move to a existing team and stay there or just stick it out at radioshack and work on the problems going on in the team.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Agree, the most successful riders are not the ones that are constantly moving to new teams. Look at Cavendish, on the same team from 2006-2011 and only left because the team disbanded. Or Tom Boonen, on the same team since 2003. The Schlecks should either move to a existing team and stay there or just stick it out at radioshack and work on the problems going on in the team.

The problem is that Radioshack's and Nissans' sponsorships end after this season. I have hard time seeing any of them stay with this team nor any new sponsors come along with a disfunct management and a general manager under investigation.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand - RSNT and LT's merge wasn't any thing that the Shlecks had any control over - that was about merging to save $$ from what I remember, tho I am happy to be told other wise.
I'm sure given the choice, the brothers Schleck would have preferred to keep LT as LT.

RE : stability in the team. The plain fact is that they (Shlecks) don't like it when someone who's head strong and vocal (JB) tells them what they're doing wrong, or questions their effort. They don't like being challenged. It's the same as a child who's parents have padded and praised him his whole life suddenly being told by their coach that you won't have everything your own way, you're not the be all and end all and that the team doesn't revolve around you. What a shock to the system!

They are the reason for their own instability and while JB and Becca's conduct will probably be called in to question, you can bet that if AS and FS form another team, the first thing they'll do is blame other's for their misfortune.

The simple fact is that those boys only wanna ride for a team where they control the situation and they have their own people meandering to their every need, constantly telling them they're right, and everyone else is wrong.

I'm sure the older heads on that squad must have to hold their tongue some time.

I'd love to see a German WT team, but I don't want to get too excited, I'll hold my breath on this one.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about a team built around the Schlecks tbh. They don't exactly inspire confidence at the moment.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Marcuccio said:
The simple fact is that those boys only wanna ride for a team where they control the situation and they have their own people meandering to their every need, constantly telling them they're right, and everyone else is wrong.

I think rivers meander and people pander. Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment :)

Alpecin has a yearly turnover of 180 million Euro
For apro cycling team you need roughly 10 million a season.
That would be 5,5% of their yearly turnover only for a cycling team. Seems a lot to me.
And why would a German sponsor built a team around the Schlecks?
Nobody outside of the hardcore cycling fans even knows them, and like 80% of those cycling fans hate them.
Seems like a weird decision from a business point of view.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
That would be 5,5% of their yearly turnover only for a cycling team. Seems a lot to me.
Nobody outside of the hardcore cycling fans even knows them, and like 80% of those cycling fans hate them.

100% agree.

In my opinion, it´s a ridiculous attempt to promote Alpecin. It´s July, so they just put the brand onto the headlines. As soon as we have August, you won´t hear a thing about this any more, until next July.

Alpecin, Jan Ullrich, the Schlecks, they all get media attention now. Alpecin wants promo, Ullrich to improve his reputation, the Schlecks take the view away from their desastrous year 2012. Why do media join this game?

There are also riders and teams who do legs do the talking!

Bavarianrider said:
I don't know about Germany, but most Dutch people who don't know sh.t about cycling would have heard of the Schlecks. They're media darlings.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

Nah, I remember reports from different sources that Gerolsteiner for example benefited a lot from sponsoring a cycling team. Experts told that they would have had to invest five times the "cycling money" into ordinary commercial campaigns to get the same brand awareness, they got from their cycling sponsorship.

Me myself, I would apppreciate such a german german top team a lot and from what I'm experiencing day by day here In Berlin -riding a bike on my own- and what one can hear from other sources, Cycling is still very popular and even more important, it's growing here again.
With Ullrich involved and the German speaking Schlecks as Captains, there would be huge attention in our media for sure. I'm convinced, Eurosport won't be the only station broadcasting the Tour next year.

By the way, why not Cancellara on that new team? With some swiss money involved as well. Speculation yes, but the rumors are there.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Being German, I followed the effects of sponsorship of Telekom (later T-Mobile), Gerolsteiner and Milram closely.

"Team Telekom" was really, really well-known in the broad public. It was the epitome of cycling, and 80 or 90 % of the population knew it, and knew Ullrich and Zabel. Telekom, Tour de France, Ullrich and Zabel belonged together.

Gerolsteiner and Milram are brands that most Germans knew and know. Cycling sponsorship didn´t decrease, nor increase it, I´d say.

In Germany, cycling has no roots in the folk´s soul. The only way to change it would be a German TdF winner within a German team. Given cycling´s bad reputation in Germany, nowadays, it would even need more than one win at the Tour; at least two overall wins consecutively.
Concerning this (not only concerning this), I hate being German. You won´t find these kinds of hypocrite mentality in any other country worldwide.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
In Germany, cycling has no roots in the folk´s soul. The only way to change it would be a German TdF winner within a German team. Given cycling´s bad reputation in Germany, nowadays, it would even need more than one win at the Tour; at least two overall wins consecutively.
Concerning this (not only concerning this), I hate being German. You won´t find these kinds of hypocrite mentality in any other country worldwide.

So in order to overcome the bad reputation of doping in cycling Germany would need to see a German cyclist dominate with back-to-back tours?_?

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:

Nobody except anyone that followed the Tour in any of the last three years or even just looked at the top finishers... Or anyone that heard about the Contador case and his DQ.

I'm not crazy about the Schlecks but what you are saying is simply not true.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
So in order to overcome the bad reputation of doping in cycling Germany would need to see a German cyclist dominate with back-to-back tours?_?

Yes. That´s the entire hypocrisy.

When there´s success, they forget about how the success was reached. They don´t want to know.

I maybe forgot to mention that this guy it would need, this 2 or 3 time Tour winner, would have to be promoted as super-clean, as the ultimate fighter against doping. These are the stories the people want to see. They want to be fooled, they just don´t want to realize that they are fooled.

Both Telekom as well as Nordmilch(Miram) are huge multi billion euro companies.
For them 10 Million a season wasn't much at all.
While Geroslteiner is a lot smaller, it's still a larger company then Alpecin. And Gerolsteiner was somewhat a Low Budget team. And they started their sponsorship when cycling was popular in Germany. No the main media don'T cover it anymore.
A team that features the Schlecks certainly won't be low budget.
Hence i simply can't imagine that Alpecin can or wants to invest such a huge proportion of their turnout in cycling.
If they do, then there has to be a big co sponsor of which we don'T know yet.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:

guess we just don't understand German mentality

Bavarianrider said:
Hence i simply can't imagine that Alpecin can or wants to invest such a huge proportion of their turnout in cycling.
If they do, then there has to be a big co sponsor of which we don'T know yet.

We do know that Trek has been mentioned as co-sponsor.
Maybe they don't like to the third invisible sponsor at Radioshack-Nissan?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
When there´s success, they forget about how the success was reached. They don´t want to know.

That's the same everywhere, not only in Germany. What I found more hypocritical was ARD and ZDF acting all apalled and surprised when the doping scandals broke loose, when it had been an open secret for years and they had been cashing in on it for years

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I heard some news on the team.

Schlecks, Voigt, Cancellara, Gerdemann, Wagner, Gallopin will all be on board.
DS will be Jörg Ludewig, who is currently working as DS for the TEAM Alpecin, as well as Gallopin. Andersen should join them as well. Officially, Ullrich will be an advisor.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Marco Pantani said:
I heard some news on the team.

Schlecks, Voigt, Cancellara, Gerdemann, Wagner, Gallopin will all be on board.
DS will be Jörg Ludewig, who is currently working as DS for the TEAM Alpecin, as well as Gallopin. Andersen should join them as well. Officially, Ullrich will be an advisor.

So the Leopard core, interesting.
And Cancellara problem is Bruyneel and not the Schlecks.

TRENDING THREADS