• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New German Team Alpecin Trek with Schlecks?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So Alpecin pays 2 Schlecks, Cancellara and Gerdemann?

I still don´t believe that. If that was a Pro Continental team, with one star and many mediocre guys, then OK. But Alpecin won´t have 2 Schlecks and Cancellara under contract. Never ever.

Cancellara, furthermore, is sick of riding under difficult circumstances; he´s had that in 2011 and 2012. When Ullrich left chaos team Bianchi, he searched for security, and found that in T-Mobile. He didn´t join dubious teams, which were big in number, willing to sign him.

And Ludewig as DS? Why not Malte Urban? They are equal, equal in not being able DS in a worldtour team.

Hope Sinkewitz will be a DS in this team, if it will exist. He has good connections to Lightweight and some Alpecin related guys. Sinkewitz could manage that, Ludewig etc. couldn´t.

Marco Pantani said:
I heard some news on the team.

Schlecks, Voigt, Cancellara, Gerdemann, Wagner, Gallopin will all be on board.
DS will be Jörg Ludewig, who is currently working as DS for the TEAM Alpecin, as well as Gallopin. Andersen should join them as well. Officially, Ullrich will be an advisor.

And where did you hear this news?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Schlecks and Becca: there has been a big blow-out

Carlo Rock, speaker of Flavio Becca, has now publicly attacked the Schleck brothers. In an interview with Luxemburger Wort, he said the brothers were badly advised. The Schleck-clan and their lawyer Albert Wildgen had other interests than sport. Wildgen, founding member of Leopard S.A., had left the company last year but still advises the Schlecks.

Wildgen himself let the Luxemburger Wort know that he did not agree with how Becca lead the company and did business anymore.

http://www.wort.lu/de/view/schleck-becca-es-hat-maechtig-gekracht-4ff31f25e4b0957b2af2899e

Meanwhile first contacts between Trek and Alpecin are said to have taken place in Liège. The Schlecks need a good reason to get out of their contracts - like late payments of salaries or damage through the doping scandal surrounding Bruyneel ...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Contact between Alpecin and Trek confirmed

Carlo Rock, speaker of Flavio Becca: "Leopard S.A. had a meeting in Liège with Trek, who told us that they had been approached by Alpecin. Seeing that Leopard S.A. has an exclusive contract with Trek, and Trek wants to honour that contract, we are all relieved about this decision. Then of course we asked ourselves, why the Schleck brothers want to change the team and who could have encouraged them. The answer to the last question is simple: their lawyer, friend and agent, who is known throughout the land."

He is speaking of Albert Wildgen, who had already negotiated for the Schleck brothers in the past. Because of his professional discretion, he cannot reveal himself as the Schlecks' agent. "I can neither confirm nor deny a connection to the Schleck Brothers", according to the lawyer.

Until September of last year, Wildgen had been a member of the board of directors of Leopard S.A., but left because of "unreconcilable differences between some character traits of Mr. Becca and myself, as well as the way he does business". Through the company Wigre S.A. he had also been part owner of Leopard S.A.

Whether the Schleck brothers are really attracted to Alpecin is not known. It is a fact that the brand has planned a big investment, together with Trek and several other smaller sponsors. Rumours are about a budget of €15 million, which would be about equal to RSNT or Sky. But since Trek has vowed its allegiance to Leopard S.A., they have to look at least for another bike manufacturer.

Carlo Rock: "The Schleck brothers - should they want to change teams - have been badly advised in my opinion. However I doubt that they are aware of all the details of the negotiations"

Source: Luxemburger Wort print edition

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Christian said:
Until September of last year, Wildgen had been a member of the board of directors of Leopard S.A., but left because of "unreconcilable differences between some character traits of Mr. Becca and myself, as well as the way he does business". Through the company Wigre S.A. he had also been part owner of Leopard S.A.

The way he does business might be enough to end the brother's contracts, since you get the feeling that everything hasn't been done according to the book...

The smaller sponsors sounds interesting, is it still the likes of Enovos and Luxair? Mercedes might be back aswell since the talk is about a german team after all. Maybe something from the financial industry aswell?

RHRH19861986 said:
In Germany, cycling has no roots in the folk´s soul. The only way to change it would be a German TdF winner within a German team. Given cycling´s bad reputation in Germany, nowadays, it would even need more than one win at the Tour; at least two overall wins consecutively.
Concerning this (not only concerning this), I hate being German. You won´t find these kinds of hypocrite mentality in any other country worldwide.

Oh I don't know. I think any country without a strong road cycling tradition is similar. For example: the USA - not much interest until they had a guy who kept winning the TdF; UK - not that much interest until they had a guy who kept winning sprints and another who might be in with a chance for the overall at the TdF. Both of them pure as the driven snow, of course. I don't think that we're that different in this respect.

I take anything put out by teams or agents at this point in the year with a very big pinch of salt. It's all about positioning for the negotiations.

That said, I can't see Alpecin having the money for the Schlecks, Cancellara, Gerdemann etc. Got to hand it to them though, they've got a sense of humour - getting Jan for their advertising. Klasse.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
And according to people who been there before, it´s said that it´s impossible to have contracts, the economics and the organisation in place the way UCI demands it by august where all papers have to be in the hands of UCI.

Otherwise they will never get the license.

And as RHRH19861986 say, Alpecin is a way to small a company to can hire both schlecks and Canc and Voigt and Gerdemann etc. and besides its hard to believe Trek would consider a joined sponsorship with a small company like Alpecin.

I can´t see this happen either, and to be honest, wouldn¨t we be better of if Canc and rest of the sissy band found new existing teams and split up, to be honest it´s beginning to look like a gay club...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
A report from Deutschlandfunk on the new team. According to them most things are in place and might be revealed on August 11th at a leasure cycling event sponsored by Alpecin in Bielefeld. Until August 1st, no one is legally allowed to speak about it.

Tony Gallopin and Fabian Cancellara are also supposed to be on board, as is Robert Wagner who already works for Alpecin as a consultant for leasure cyclists. Jan Ullrich will be a consultant for the team, Alain Gallopin and Jörg Ludewig will lead it.

Report:

http://www.dradio.de/dlf/sendungen/sport/1802039/

Audio:

http://ondemand-mp3.dradio.de/file/dradio/2012/07/02/dlf_20120702_2255_cd279bbc.mp3

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
A report from Deutschlandfunk on the new team. According to them most things are in place and might be revealed on August 11th at a leasure cycling event sponsored by Alpecin in Bielefeld. Until August 1st, no one is legally allowed to speak about it.

Tony Gallopin and Fabian Cancellara are also supposed to be on board, as is Robert Wagner who already works for Alpecin as a consultant for leasure cyclists. Jan Ullrich will be a consultant for the team, Alain Gallopin and Jörg Ludewig will lead it.

Report:

Audio:

http://ondemand-mp3.dradio.de/file/dradio/2012/07/02/dlf_20120702_2255_cd279bbc.mp3

Thanks for the link. I would certainly hope they have more than 6 riders though! :p

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Christian said:

Report:

Audio:

Yeah but it´s still the Amsterdam telegraph who made the story, same sensation tabloid that come up with the new Armstrong saga, think you should wait for more reliable sources.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, Alpecin have been doing quite a lot of TV advertising here in the UK - possibly this team is not so much about Germany but about being able to sell Alpecin elsewhere.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Andy in Maillot Jaune will cross the finish line in Paris and raise winning hands together with Jensie. Omg, what can be more beautiful? :)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Andy in Maillot Jaune will cross the finish line in Paris and raise winning hands together with Jensie. Omg, what can be more beautiful? :)

Good Morning, helluva dream you had yourself there, hope it was a clean one...

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You know dreams never become reality right?

And how can you be so sure? The mind boggles.

You'd better not reason about my dreams. It's confidential information. :p But I feel like one became full of fear.

TRENDING THREADS