• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New German Team Alpecin Trek with Schlecks?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
A German team without a German face won't work. Trust me.
They need a top German rider. Without that, they are doomed to fail.

How big a German name though, they’d likely have Jens & Linus, maybe Kloden, perhaps others like Ciolek or even Degenkolb but they won’t get Tony Martin or Greipel.

Machu Picchu said:
How big a German name though, they’d likely have Jens & Linus, maybe Kloden, perhaps others like Ciolek or even Degenkolb but they won’t get Tony Martin or Greipel.

But that's what they would need. Nobody will care about a team that has Voigt and Gerdemann. They need a big German name. But as you say that's not possible.
So the only chance is Ullrich in my opinion. If he gets some sort of position within the team or like the publicity face of the team. It could work.

Bavarianrider said:
So the only chance is Ullrich in my opinion. If he gets some sort of position within the team or like the publicity face of the team. It could work.
The reputation of Ullrich outside Germany is rather bad, due to the doping allegations. It would surprise me if a team is willing to be linked to him, especially in a anti-doping attitude like in Germany.

I would welcome a German team at the highest level. I am not sure however, if this Alpecin construction would work. Somehow NetApp should be able to grow year by year, but although they've spoken ambition their actions contradicted that ambition. If I am correct the sponsorship of NetApp ends at the end of this year---or at least is open for renewal. Why not build a big German team using the infrastructure of (former) Team NetApp?

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, NetApp´s contract ends end 2012. Though they showed nice performances from January to May 2012, I´m rather pessimistic about a contract for 2013 and beyond.

I´d like s.th. like a German team Alpecin at WorldTour, I just don´t believe that it will come true.

In fact, the situation for German pro cycling is not equal to the situation of pre Ullrich days - it´s even worse. It will take 10 or 20 years to change this, to have cleaned cycling´s image in general in Germany. Thurau´s yellow days were 1977, Ullrich´s 1997, 2007 it was all destroyed. Maybe 2027, other times will arrive.

To explain that, in Germany, there´s only black and white: either super, or ****.

janraaskalt said:
The reputation of Ullrich outside Germany is rather bad, due to the doping allegations. It would surprise me if a team is willing to be linked to him, especially in a anti-doping attitude like in Germany.

I would welcome a German team at the highest level. I am not sure however, if this Alpecin construction would work. Somehow NetApp should be able to grow year by year, but although they've spoken ambition their actions contradicted that ambition. If I am correct the sponsorship of NetApp ends at the end of this year---or at least is open for renewal. Why not build a big German team using the infrastructure of (former) Team NetApp?

Ullrich is really doing a lot with Alpecin and cycling right now. Therefore, it would be suprising if they don't use him at all with a possible pro team.

311685_332365620181590_1332811221_n.jpg

581027_332829690135183_1445465767_n.jpg

538816_294567787294707_443026992_n.jpg

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Ullrich is really doing a lot with Alpecin and cycling right now. Therefore, it would be suprising if they don't use him at all with a possible pro team.

311685_332365620181590_1332811221_n.jpg

581027_332829690135183_1445465767_n.jpg

538816_294567787294707_443026992_n.jpg

Well I suppose if there is any truth to these stories then they'll quickly be changing those bikes to treks! ;)

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, for the first time, one official from the company confirmed the plans and spoke out on them to the press. I'll sum up the most important information, as the article is in german.

-they have been considering the foundation of a new team for quite a while now
-a license should already be in place (according to the newspaper) (I don't know much about the procedure myself)
-budget would be between 13 and 20 Mio. Euros
-they haven't decided yet, if they'll get the team running for next season

http://www.westfalen-blatt.de/nachr...n-rechnet-bereits-fuer-das-elite-radteam/613/

http://www.die-glocke.de/lokalnachr...-Team-f0efca04-1920-4b26-85b2-c58ccaaf37e9-ds

Personally I'm sure they'll be ready just in time. They have to get the Schlecks out of their contracts and with everything thats going on with Becca and Bruyneel I'm convinced they will manage to do that.